Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

sigmachiev posted:

I really hope they do Budokan again next year. Sumo Hall rules but these last three days had such a cool aura.

Given how well it went, I imagine Budokan might become a fixture of the G1 Finals. Ryogoku already has both Sakura Genesis and King of Pro-Wrestling every year, so it doesn't really need the event, although it's very traditionally the home to these past three days (but they did do the Seibu/MetLife Dome in 2014 for the grand finals).

It actually wouldn't surprise me if next year they do the first two nights in Ryogoku, then go to Korakeun for a few nights before carting around the country again and ending at Budokan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

They need to at least run either the G1 finals here or a major show. The aura of the building just adds so much.

Also it's amazing that this Tanahashi angle is what the WWE should of done for Cena to tie/break Flair's record (in WWE's mind) and they probably can't do it now

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

They値l almost definitely run it again for G1 29, but I bet for 30 they run like Saitama Super Arena or something, which would squeeze like another 7000 or more in over Budokan (it can do like 22,500 in normal mode and if they open up the configuration they could put at least another several thousand on top of that).

SSA is a pretty cool venue, too:

https://pli.io/9dRYZ.jpg

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

The Cameo posted:

They値l almost definitely run it again for G1 29, but I bet for 30 they run like Saitama Super Arena or something, which would squeeze like another 7000 or more in over Budokan (it can do like 22,500 in normal mode and if they open up the configuration they could put at least another several thousand on top of that).

SSA is a pretty cool venue, too:

https://pli.io/9dRYZ.jpg

with the olympics i could see them doing a wacky format with an overseas block or maybe just switch dominion to tokyo and the g1 finals to osaka

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
So I've missed a bunch of the G1 was Tama choking a fan a legit thing and as a result NJPW is asking the talent to no longer swear and flip the bird and what not any longer?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Le Saboteur posted:

So I've missed a bunch of the G1 was Tama choking a fan a legit thing and as a result NJPW is asking the talent to no longer swear and flip the bird and what not any longer?

Who loving knows, everybody's working themselves into shoots and shooting themselves into works at the same time

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Thauros posted:

with the olympics i could see them doing a wacky format with an overseas block or maybe just switch dominion to tokyo and the g1 finals to osaka

gently caress, right, I forgot about the Olympics. Go figure the 30th anniversary of the G1 has to fall in the same year Tokyo actually has to deal with that bullshit.

Maybe that値l be the year they switch Dominion to the Kyocera Dome Osaka as they have supposedly considered, and do the finals in Castle Hall? I just don稚 see them removing Dominion from Osaka.

But then Castle Hall fits about the same as Ryogoku, and for the 30th anniversary, they値l want to go big... maybe they値l roll the dice and do the finals in KDO since they致e shown a willingness to try stadiums for the G1 finals, and keep Dominion in its traditional home? But booking a stadium like that for three days is ridiculously expensive... maybe they run Bodymaker for the block final nights and have the finals in the KDO since the G1 finals final night is always the fastest seller.

Hmmmmmm.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
k saw it

Great match, Tana does it again folks. and Dawww at when Shibata came out at the end to congratulate Tana.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Shoenin posted:

k saw it

Great match, Tana does it again folks. and Dawww at when Shibata came out at the end to congratulate Tana.

He was there all along dude

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

I Before E posted:

He was there all along dude

That's when I knew Tana was winning. No way they bring Shibata out there to watch the Ace lose.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

:swoon:

:stwoon:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Strawberry Panda posted:

That's when I knew Tana was winning. No way they bring Shibata out there to watch the Ace lose.

Yeah they telegraphed it pretty hard with that, was my thought as well when I saw Shibata.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
Recovering at work this morning from a busy weekend filled with manual labor, beers and NJPW matches on the couch. Wow, what an ending!! Best Tanahashi match I've ever seen. Best he's ever had? I mean, he's had some baller matches with Okada not that long ago (good G1 match to a draw to continue their series against one another nicely) but this was on another level thanks to Ibushi being Ibushi. His G1 form of angry Kota who just has to let it all go and hurt people for wins is amazing. Having Kenny and Shibata in opposite corners really added to everything too. The crowd. The energy. Both men toe to toe and trading shots. Just incredible stuff.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I really want to go see New Japan at Budokan now, it seems like an awesome arena

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Just watched the G1 final not that long ago and goddamn what a finale. I can hardly believe it was like nearly 35 minutes long even, considering it felt like it was maybe 10. Looking forward to Tanahashi getting one last shot at the IWGP before he's put out to pasture for being too old at an age where he's only a few months older than AJ Styles and nearly a decade younger than Minoru Suzuki.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Hey guys, just got home. Did I miss anything awesom--- :negative:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

frankenfreak posted:

Hey guys, just got home. Did I miss anything awesom--- :negative:

I know... I know :smith:

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
My top 10 after seeing most matches:

1. Omega/Ishii
2. Ibushi/Tana
3. Ibushi/Ishii
4. Ibushi/Naito
5. Tana/Okada
6. Omega/Ibushi
7. Omega/Naito
8. ZSJ/Ibushi
9. Naito/Ishii
10. Ishii/Yano (either this or SANADA)

1 is pretty solid. 2-7 are all pretty close.

Willninho fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Aug 14, 2018

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm interested in watching this with my daughter to see if she likes Japanese wrestling, does NJPW World have the shows organized easily in chronological order or does anyone have a list with links so I know the order to watch them in?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Download Njpwext for chrome then go to the events in order section, most recently aired events are from the top down.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
When will Meltzers next batch of G1 snowflakes come out?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

SalTheBard posted:

When will Meltzers next batch of G1 snowflakes come out?
Observer usually drops Thursday somewhere between 7am and 9am here in the UK/Ireland. Big issues might be a bit later, and this will be a big one

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

jesus WEP posted:

Observer usually drops Thursday somewhere between 7am and 9am here in the UK/Ireland. Big issues might be a bit later, and this will be a big one

Thank you!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
lmao I was going through this thread for funsies and

VJeff posted:

Has Zack ever like.

Hit the Zack Driver in G1? Cause it seems like trying to hit it is costing him more than anything.

:doh:

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

VJeff posted:

"nice one, dickhead" - Zack, probably

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

VJeff posted:

Pretend this post is a .gif of TAKA laughing.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Gaz-L posted:

Pretend this post is a .gif of TAKA laughing.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

VJeff posted:

"I'm going to poke the bear, this won't go wrong."

Genericide
Jan 20, 2004

Okada / Tana *****
Ibushi / Omega ***** 1/2
Ibushi / Tana ***** 3/4

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I agree with the 2nd two.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Ibushi/Omega didn't break 5 for me, and I was in a completely unbiased, open, receptive state of mind at the time!

Other two are about right. Ibushi/Tana was maybe a little better than Omega/Naito from last year's finals, but probably not as good as Omega/Okada I.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Personally I'd probably put Okada/Omega 1 and 2 a quarter or half star lower than Meltzer, and Tana/Ibushi would probably be a 6 or 6.25, but that's just me. I really loved that match but saying it's 7 stars is a bit absurd even for me.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
I'm almost hoping whatever Meltzer drama is going on today kills off one man's star ratings so we can all argue about how great matches are without one definitive idiot who just broke his own system

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Personally I love this new era of star inflation, bring on 8 star matches

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I wish he would just change his system or ditch the stars. What wrestling is has changed so much from when he started rating them that it really doesn't make sense to compare.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I find having a rating helps but the system could use a overhaul.

And I'd probably wouldn't go more than 5 for Ibushi/Omega but the Tanahashi/Ibushi rating is well deserved

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I think it's intentional on his part to wean people off narrowly fixating on the rating itself and instead have them focus on what he actually says about the match.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The star ratings are fine you dorks

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Benne posted:

The star ratings are fine you dorks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The snowflakes are good and let me do dumb stuff like this; the last three nights of the G1 over the last two years:
Omega: 11.75 stars
Ibushi: 11.25 stars
Naito: 10.75 stars
Tanahashi: 10.75 stars

Okada cannot be the true ace until he delivers 10 stars in one weekend. Shoulda gone and wrestled a 3 star match in some indie the night after Dominion, bub. :colbert:

• Locked thread