Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Why, it seems like it's just bad lager? So what if the history is that some Germans moved in and adapted their techniques to the local ingredients; you Americans did the same. Nobody in Europe are getting excited about Portuguese lager or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
a super-crushable 4% light lager with a touch of sweetness from corn, sounds terrible

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

a super-crushable 4% light lager with a touch of sweetness from corn, sounds terrible

Add some mole and salsa verde spices and i'm in!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

danbanana posted:

only if you order Dad's Lager Flight. tips are appreciated!

Hauki
May 11, 2010

danbanana posted:

so, like, tomatillo and garlic for the latter? word

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Hold on a sec

Some of you <don't> drink your lagers with a 1/4 cup of bloody mary mix? :thunk:

It's our college football season thing tbh

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Real Name Grover posted:

Hold on a sec

Some of you <don't> drink your lagers with a 1/4 cup of bloody mary mix? :thunk:

It's our college football season thing tbh

You mean clam juice?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

atothesquiz posted:

You mean clam juice?

clamato, tomato

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

dphi posted:

clamato, tomato

lets throw the whole thing up

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

lets throw the whole thing up

Beer and clam, beer and orange juice, and beer with a spoonful of salt are big things where I live. These people are all bad.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Beer with a spoonful of salt ? The gently caress?

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Murican plebs mixing their own poison malt, To øl has us euros covered.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

Yeah. Salt. It's probably just a rural Saskatchewan thing, but I've seen tons of people put like a small spoonful of salt in their beers.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

No_talent posted:

Yeah. Salt. It's probably just a rural Saskatchewan thing, but I've seen tons of people put like a small spoonful of salt in their beers.

Considering how important salt is as an ingredient in bread that doesn't surprise me even though you don't need it for gluten development in beer.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

No_talent posted:

Nah, this is super common. My future brother in law does it. Jim Tomsula does it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Cool, I mean it's not like a huge part of a hangover is dehydration so I think a teaspoon of salt per beer won't amplify that at all

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

No_talent posted:

Yeah, like you would a glass of milk.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Goses have salt in them and they kick rear end :shrug:

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
One dude from my fraternity in college did the salt in beer thing. We were out at a bar and he picked up a salt shaker and salted his Bud Light. I thought that was crazy and no way am I going to ruin a Bud Light with salt.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Salt in beer is a way to cut cloying sweetness out of lovely macro lagers. My grandpa did it as far back as I can remember and I thought it was weird. One day, while drinking and Old Milwaukee (that was their brand), I realized how sweet the beer was and salt fixed it.

The real fix is drinking a different beer that doesn't taste like under attenuated corn juice.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Salt goes really well in coffee too

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH
salt is a common additive to make foods taste good when they otherwise do not

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

just lol if you don't start your day with a heaping tablespoon of salt

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

just lol if you don't start your day with a heaping tablespoon of salt

coffee with a tablespoon of salt and a stick of butter

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Lyon posted:

coffee with a tablespoon of salt and a stick of butter

"this is worse than i thought. there's no butter in my coffee"

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

Coffee-salt-butter- beer.

Can someone please send these past few posts to Omnipollo, tia.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Omnipollo recently released a beer called "Peach Candy Popcorn Sour" on tap and in bottles over here. It's predictably a diacetyl-laden mess. Considering the huge distribution this is getting my guess is that they brewed a batch too big to dump, and slapped the popcorn descriptor in the title in an attempt to pass it off as intentional.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 17, 2018

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Lmao they use diacetyl in beer now? They stopped using that poo poo in vape juices years ago.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Lmao they use diacetyl in beer now? They stopped using that poo poo in vape juices years ago.

Diacetyl is a common off-flavor in beer. Usually caused by bad fermentation practices and/or hygiene. While some yeasts used for some styles (British ales, Czech pils) produce low enough amounts to be considered acceptable, I doubt anyone would add it to beer on purpose. Sour beer has been particularly rife with it after so many got on the kettle-sour trend, but Omnipollo's products are usually good in that regard.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Can you elaborate on the kettle sour thing WRT diacetyl? Goses and sours are my favorite styles so I'm always looking to understand more.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Can you elaborate on the kettle sour thing WRT diacetyl? Goses and sours are my favorite styles so I'm always looking to understand more.

it's a chemical compound that can form during the brewing process. There are lots of various undesirable byproducts that the yeast can create during the brewing process if you're not careful: Dimethyl Sulfide, Diacetyl, Acetaldehyde, Hydrogen Sulfide, Tetrahydropyridine, etc

There's a lot of poo poo that can go wrong.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ah, OK. I just recognized diacetyl as "that compound they use to add a buttery flavor" from vaping, sounds like it'd be loving gross in beer in noticable amounts.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Ah, OK. I just recognized diacetyl as "that compound they use to add a buttery flavor" from vaping, sounds like it'd be loving gross in beer in noticable amounts.

Yeah, it is. The crazy part is that you can taste diacetyl at just 0.1 parts per million so it doesn't take a whole lot to make your beer taste buttery.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Ah, OK. I just recognized diacetyl as "that compound they use to add a buttery flavor" from vaping

Wut.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

When vaping first started getting big, a lot of the well-known vape liquid companies used diacetyl in a lot of their savory-type flavors, until it became widely known that diacetyl is the compound involved in bronchiolitis obliterans, aka Popcorn Lung, a respiratory infection named as such because of its high prevalence among factory workers at popcorn factories, which use diacetyl in their butter flavoring.

Granted, you'd have to be vaping essentially pure diacetyl all day every day to get the disease, but the backlash was swift and fierce and within 6 months most companies were proudly declaring "diacetyl free" on their custard/cake/etc flavored juices. it was basically a mass scare on the level of "aspartame in diet soda will give you cancer."

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Snow Cone Capone posted:

When vaping first started getting big, a lot of the well-known vape liquid companies used diacetyl in a lot of their savory-type flavors, until it became widely known that diacetyl is the compound involved in bronchiolitis obliterans, aka Popcorn Lung, a respiratory infection named as such because of its high prevalence among factory workers at popcorn factories, which use diacetyl in their butter flavoring.

Granted, you'd have to be vaping essentially pure diacetyl all day every day to get the disease, but the backlash was swift and fierce and within 6 months most companies were proudly declaring "diacetyl free" on their custard/cake/etc flavored juices. it was basically a mass scare on the level of "aspartame in diet soda will give you cancer."

Wut.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

That's all I got! Sorry if you don't like my post!

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
A small brewery near me called Burn 'em does a Creamed Corn ale that has a bunch of diacetyl in it "on purpose". It's weird.

Diacetyl is produced by yeast in almost all fermentations, but it is cleaned up by those same yeast at the end of the process. The standard practice is to slightly warm your fermenter right near the end of primary fermentation - oddly enough referred to as a Diacetyl Rest - to finish it off. I had a diacetyl beer one time and it was my first attempt doing a traditional lager which are fermented colder than ales and you have to spend a little extra effort to clean them up.

In the 10ish batches of kettles sours I've done, I've never detected it.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

The first sour beer I ever brewed developed a lot of diacetyl. It was a saison that I added almanac dregs to. After it took on a slight sourness in secondary and stopped I figured the dregs were just dead so I bottled it and moved on with my life. A few months later I opened a bottle and it was straight butter. I almost dumped the rest of the batch but figured it would age out. Eventually the diacetyl went away as the bacteria finally finished doing their job. The last few bottles were nicely tart with no diacetyl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosher man
May 8, 2002

very stable genius posted:

it's a chemical compound that can form during the brewing process. There are lots of various undesirable byproducts that the yeast can create during the brewing process if you're not careful: Dimethyl Sulfide, Diacetyl, Acetaldehyde, Hydrogen Sulfide, Tetrahydropyridine, etc

There's a lot of poo poo that can go wrong.

DMS is not made by yeast :wave: