Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
I played through Half Life: Echoes instead of sleeping, and I have to say: Right now it's my #1 favorite Half-Life mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Heavy Metal posted:

That Darksiders guy Joe Madureira is one of the best X-Men artists of the 90s, random note. Maybe the best, though Jim Lee had the definitive lunchbox.

I replayed Darksiders 1 recently and it still holds up very well, design-wise. Samael is I think my favourite depiction of a ‘lord of hell’ in any media, influenced by Tim Curry’s ‘Darkness’.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Heavy Metal posted:

You quit during the non combat intro portion, is that even really a try. If cartoon sex acts and that style of humor are a deal breaker, how did you not know that was in the game? I mentioned it was HL2 meets Halo 3 meets Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust, granted no one has played that, not even me. I get we just have different taste, and hey at least you tried it to some degree, but you could be driving a forklift right now if you kept playing.

....a forklift? Hrmmm....

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Do we get the MST3K song playing if we kill enemies with the forklift? 'Cause if not, then that's a deal breaker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK2jFO_DaRQ

banana
Oct 16, 2003

Der Ivan, nä.

The Kins posted:

TWHL is running a vanilla HL1 map contest to mark 20 years of corridors and over-scripting. Deadline is November 19, and there's a couple of small prizes up for grabs if you win. You probably won't win, but if you try you might learn something! For example, the Hammer editor might teach you how to hate.

Hey man, thanks!
I haven't touched hl maps in a decade, a vanilla hl map looks like fun.
Hammer won't bother me though, since i use quark ;)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Convex posted:

Turok Bundle (1+2 remastered) is about £3.80 on Fanatical right now with code SUMMER10. Activates on Steam. All time low!

Anyone in the UK willing to help out an American goon? I've got 5$ for you and PMs!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Kinda wish Perfect Dark came out on PC. Also, can't really bet on THQ either considering how they went down last time.

Perfect Dark never came out on PC, but there's a modified version of the 1964 N64 emulator that runs Goldeneye and Perfect Dark at 60fps with mouselook; search for "1964 GEPD edition". You will of course have to supply your own ROM image.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

ToxicFrog posted:

Perfect Dark never came out on PC, but there's a modified version of the 1964 N64 emulator that runs Goldeneye and Perfect Dark at 60fps with mouselook; search for "1964 GEPD edition". You will of course have to supply your own ROM image.

Gonna look that up now, actually. Sounds like something I'd sink some hours in every month. Never finished GoldenEye back when I was a kid, so I'll try that too.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Gonna look that up now, actually. Sounds like something I'd sink some hours in every month. Never finished GoldenEye back when I was a kid, so I'll try that too.

I did finish Goldeneye but I had a lot more fun with Perfect Dark overall, personally.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cat Mattress posted:

Do we get the MST3K song playing if we kill enemies with the forklift? 'Cause if not, then that's a deal breaker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK2jFO_DaRQ

Of course, plus an appearance from ol' fan fav Rex Dart: Eskimo Spy

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

ToxicFrog posted:

I did finish Goldeneye but I had a lot more fun with Perfect Dark overall, personally.

Seems to be the general opinion, even if more people probably bought/played Goldeneye and had more fond childhood memories of.

Is it fair to say that PD is still an objectively better game than Goldeneye?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Perfect Dark is a masterpiece that still puts modern FPS games to shame with its single-player mission variety and MP customization options. Playing it at 60fps at high resolution is just unreal. It owns!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Is it fair to say that PD is still an objectively better game than Goldeneye?

Yes.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Pd is objectively the better game yes

You should play both tho. I had never played GoldenEye on perfect agent before ever and i banged it out in like a day and a half with the 60fps emulator

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Anyone in the UK willing to help out an American goon? I've got 5$ for you and PMs!

Send me a PM man

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

The Kins posted:

TWHL is running a vanilla HL1 map contest to mark 20 years of corridors and over-scripting. Deadline is November 19, and there's a couple of small prizes up for grabs if you win. You probably won't win, but if you try you might learn something! For example, the Hammer editor might teach you how to hate.

Looks like something to participate in. I've only done a couple maps for Science and Industry but this seems like a good excuse to learn single player. Anyone jumping into Half-Life mapping should look at JACK or Sledge, they're a bit more capable to work with than the 20+ year old hammer editor. JACK is pretty similar in layout to Hammer.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

exquisite tea posted:

Holy crap Turok 2 is a completely different experience at 60fps with full draw distance and kb+m controls. I got through most of Port of Adia but I think I'm going to restart on Hard because the game is so much easier when it's not chugging along at 15fps. Incredible!

It is the best. Also, I'm a big fan of the speed mod that makes Joshua Fireseed run as fast as Tal'set in Turok 1: https://steamcommunity.com/app/405830/discussions/1/135512931350463556/

Makes the game even punchier and makes running through the gigantic levels a blast.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Blind Sally posted:

It is the best. Also, I'm a big fan of the speed mod that makes Joshua Fireseed run as fast as Tal'set in Turok 1: https://steamcommunity.com/app/405830/discussions/1/135512931350463556/

Makes the game even punchier and makes running through the gigantic levels a blast.

Thanks for this, I was trying to play Turok 2 recently and got frustrated at the slower run speed.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
PSA: If you're Euro-blocked from Quaddicted and you want to use Quake Injector, I've put up a mirror of the relevant files.

You can add these lines to Quake Injector's config.properties file:

quote:

ScreenshotRepositoryPath=http\://quaddicted-mirror.s3-website-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/reviews/screenshots/
RepositoryDatabasePath=http\://quaddicted-mirror.s3-website-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/reviews/quaddicted_database.xml
RepositoryBasePath=http\://quaddicted-mirror.s3-website-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/filebase/

Or even if you're not using Quake Injector, you could still use a web browser to go through the raw downloads list at http://quaddicted-mirror.s3-website-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/filebase/index.html

Note that this is just a static snapshot of the current Quaddicted downloads. If/when Quaddicted starts updating again, I don't know if I'll tear that mirror down or else find some way to keep it in sync. If you do change your Quake Injector config, keep in mind that you may need to change it back again later.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Half-Life: Echoes really is the best half-life mod I've ever played. I wouldn't be surprised if it swept up awards left and right at the end of the year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnwthTJBaB0

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

site posted:

Pd is objectively the better game yes

You should play both tho. I had never played GoldenEye on perfect agent before ever and i banged it out in like a day and a half with the 60fps emulator

I don't suppose there's any way to get this running on the Wii, is there?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't suppose there's any way to get this running on the Wii, is there?

There's a homebrew emulator but it's not great. PC is the way to go really.

I think there may be a way to inject the ROM into a VC game, but I never managed to get it working.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Whoa, just blitzed the first level(?) of Turok and got all the keys, and... whoa. It's like someone played a lot of Doom, then had a good hard look at the N64 and decided to go for it. With dinosaurs.

I love it!

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Every time I hear about Turok 1 I can't help but remember this death sound. it's the best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9KtqzN8epk

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Heavy Metal posted:

That Darksiders guy Joe Madureira is one of the best X-Men artists of the 90s, random note. Maybe the best, though Jim Lee had the definitive lunchbox.

Joe Mad rocks but I don't think he's involved in darksiders 3 at all

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Zaphod42 posted:

Joe Mad rocks but I don't think he's involved in darksiders 3 at all

He was the creative director of the first one, apparently.

Edit: Wait, I misread you, sorry.

https://twitter.com/joemadx/status/859485654962647040?lang=en

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

exquisite tea posted:

Perfect Dark is a masterpiece that still puts modern FPS games to shame with its single-player mission variety and MP customization options. Playing it at 60fps at high resolution is just unreal. It owns!

:agreed:
Fired it up today. It's weird and convoluted and I don't like the bullet sponge enemies, but it's just a wonderful frickin' cyberpunky game. I will never not love the holographic menu being projected from Joanna's eyepiece.

They threw everything they could into this thing. A sniper rifle that shoots teleporting bullets through walls, your first mission involves an AI that obediently folds itself into a suitcase for extraction, a bizarre plot that's X-Files meets They Live, a laptop that turns into a gun, flying cars everywhere, a dozen oddball imbalanced guns, a deathmatch that lets you play against bots--in an N64 game!

edit: It's blowing my mind to see all these textures clearly for the first time. It was always such a foggy sludgy mess.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 17, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The Chicago level that's just one long extended homage to Blade Runner is one of my favorites in terms of music and mood.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

HolyKrap posted:

Every time I hear about Turok 1 I can't help but remember this death sound. it's the best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9KtqzN8epk

Knew what this was before even clicking it :allears:

I didn't have the patience for Goldeneye's gameplay when I was a kid and assumed PD was more of the same so I didn't bother. I probably would have been frustrated by the framerate anyway.

The first time I've ever played Perfect Dark was the XBLA version a couple of years ago and I absolutely loved it. Fantastic game. Now I want to try to get through Goldeneye again with the mouse controls and better framerate.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Heavy Metal posted:

Could be No One Lives Forever possibly also, lotta gems out there.

Obviously they're referring to KISS: Psycho Circus. Let us all contribute and each receive our hallowed copy of KISS: Psycho Circus.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Whoa, just blitzed the first level(?) of Turok and got all the keys, and... whoa. It's like someone played a lot of Doom, then had a good hard look at the N64 and decided to go for it. With dinosaurs.

I love it!

I felt this when playing through the remasters and have tried desperately to get some friends who love Doom and want more to try them out. To no avail though. They either have played the originals or have heard enough horror stories about fog and framerates to be unwilling to try. I still insist thaf the Turok 1 and 2 remasters are some of the best recent FPS releases.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
It's that time of month again:

https://twitter.com/khreathor/status/1030343390133735426

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

:agreed:
Fired it up today. It's weird and convoluted and I don't like the bullet sponge enemies, but it's just a wonderful frickin' cyberpunky game. I will never not love the holographic menu being projected from Joanna's eyepiece.

They threw everything they could into this thing. A sniper rifle that shoots teleporting bullets through walls, your first mission involves an AI that obediently folds itself into a suitcase for extraction, a bizarre plot that's X-Files meets They Live, a laptop that turns into a gun, flying cars everywhere, a dozen oddball imbalanced guns, a deathmatch that lets you play against bots--in an N64 game!

edit: It's blowing my mind to see all these textures clearly for the first time. It was always such a foggy sludgy mess.

Also like a dozen different multiplayer modes that you can play as botmatches or couch multiplayer or both, with a shitload of tuning options, plus co-op and counter-op play. I think the latter I've only seen in Perfect Dark -- it's multiplayer SP missions where one player is Joanna and the other player is one of the enemies. When they die their viewpoint jumps to another nearby enemy. The enemies don't get higher stats or new guns or anything, but having them controlled by a human opens the door to some truly vicious surprises, especially if the Joanna player has gotten really used to SP. :getin:

I also liked that increasing the difficulty added more mission objectives rather than just turbocharging the enemies.

E: I just looked it up and PD has 40 distinct weapons. It's beautiful. And reading through the weapons list is reminding me of fun times playing 4-player deathmatch where the only weapons are N-bombs, tranquilizers, and proximity mines.

Fun fact: the visual effects from tranqs and n-bombs persist even after you die and respawn, and stack.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The joys of playing at 1 frame per second whenever an N-bomb was blowing up somewhere on the map.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

The joys of playing at 1 frame per second whenever an N-bomb was blowing up somewhere on the map.

"An" N-bomb

Lol if you didn't just create huge piles of them in proximity fuse mode next to every weapon or player spawnpoint

Four players all staggering around completely blind at one frame every five seconds and occasionally exploding. Eventually the game loses patience and assigns victory to someone effectively at random.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ToxicFrog posted:

Fun fact: the visual effects from tranqs and n-bombs persist even after you die and respawn, and stack.

Another fun fact: this was thankfully fixed for the rerelease on XBLA. I was thrilled, because goddamn :psyduck:

Also, ducking again while already ducking causes your screen to go black (in multiplayer). Why? To prevent screen looking.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
As someone who's only watched and read about Perfect Dark instead of playing it (because I somehow got an N64 from the beginning then skipped every major release that did not come out in 1999 specifically) I think the funniest thing about Perfect Dark is that I remember reading even detractors of the game, specifically the ones who hated that it stopped being about pure corporate espionage an hour in, still admitted it's a better game than GoldenEye - they just refused to play past the Chicago levels.

ToxicFrog posted:

Also, supposedly this happened with the thrown combat knives, but A) it would also effect you if your corpse got hit with a knife before you respawned, and B) the damage effect of its poison would also still apply after respawning.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

It’s been 15 years since I played it, but I do remember Perfect Darks later levels have a noticeable drop in quality after a certain point. I remember the sunken alien spaceship level to be particularly annoying. Also the assault on your HQ absolutely chugs.

Still one of the finest FPS games ever made tho.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The only PD level I remember hating was the deep sea vessel one for the cheat time because it was really hard and took forever to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The cancelled Perfect Dark Core sounded super dope but the Microsoft CEO at the time pulled the plug because he thought the XBox already had enough sci fi shooters at the time (Gears of War and Halo).