Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

FMguru posted:

just think of the prosperity everyone will be enjoying when you finally brexit all those job-stealing poles out of your country next year!

I'm literally in Canada every day laughing my rear end off at my home country tearing itself apart because some cheeky chappy in the local pub told them it was a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Had a phone interview today. It went okay? I think the company is neat so hopefully they bring me in for an interview. I guess worst case scenario it's good practice for the next one.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

oh god yeah london is loving dire

"yeaahhhh so we basically expect you to live in a closet or spend four hours a day commuting, and you're going to take it and you're going to loving like it because there is literally no work anywhere else in the country"

I got an offer for £70k (which is about what a senior dev can expect) in London a few years back, and seriously considered it until I looked up how much a deece apartment would cost in the city.

Yeah no.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

So this phone interview has turned into a real one. What's the best way to learn algorithms in a week?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Invent a time machine and take a class on it. Or power through a book on them.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

oh god yeah london is loving dire

"yeaahhhh so we basically expect you to live in a closet or spend four hours a day commuting, and you're going to take it and you're going to loving like it because there is literally no work anywhere else in the country"

I have worked in many places in the UK that are not London tbh

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Got an offer...for like 2/3s of what I get now in every aspect of compensation.

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 17, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
The lovely bus company is looking for a server-toucher. Maybe I should apply.

:sigh::hf::effort:

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Diva Cupcake posted:

privileged white dude with a wife and a 9 month old. i'm pretty much the city's target demo minus the jets fandom.

leaning accept with major reservations about uprooting. i'd need to find another neighborhood with a heavy SAHM stroller crowd to ensure spousal happiness.

a friend of mine developed a pretty severe depression as a stay at home mom because all the other women in her neighborhood were russian gangster wives who wore gold lamé gym clothes all the time and they didnt like to hang out with the nerdy asian lady

Bloody posted:

the mta was the greatest then it went wholly unmaintained for decades and now it doesnt work

the new 2nd ave subway is still pretty nice since it is brand new and not neglected enough yet.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

PokeJoe posted:

I figured this would be the case. I have an EE degree so my classes were more focused on janitoring individual bits. Gonna be a busy week!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PokeJoe posted:

taking a class on algorithms probably won't actually help you with toy interview problems

cracking the coding interview probably will though

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

a friend of mine developed a pretty severe depression as a stay at home mom because all the other women in her neighborhood were russian gangster wives who wore gold lamé gym clothes all the time and they didnt like to hang out with the nerdy asian lady
sounds about right. mine has had a pretty severe depression because her poo poo fashion career could barely cover the costs of new york daycare, hence the sahm. add cliquishness of the mommy crowd and I get it. it sucks.

i told the boston offer to extend my deadline past this weekend so the wife and I can ride up and hang out in lesser neighborhoods than our own to see how we like them. they didn't blink and told me to take my time so that's a decent sign.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Diva Cupcake posted:

sounds about right. mine has had a pretty severe depression because her poo poo fashion career could barely cover the costs of new york daycare, hence the sahm. add cliquishness of the mommy crowd and I get it. it sucks.
:thermidor:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

the new 2nd ave subway is still pretty nice since it is brand new and not neglected enough yet.

yeah but it's still connected to the rest of the subway system

grody, broken-down stations suck but the real problem is the service

raminasi fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 17, 2018

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Asleep Style posted:

I figured this would be the case. I have an EE degree so my classes were more focused on janitoring individual bits. Gonna be a busy week!

i know how you feel, my undergrad was EE too

interview questions are almost always binary trees, but sometimes some super cs degree haver will make you write down a*. you can get pretty far by just thinking about how an embedded dev would do it <problem> in as little memory as possible. just don't let cs jargon spook you, and if the cs jargoners won't explain their jargon when you ask, interpret it as a bad smell and don't judge yourself for 'failing' to read some dumbass bs cs's mind

edit: oh and i bookmarked this a while back but i haven't used it, it might help as a refresher

Corla Plankun fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 17, 2018

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bloody posted:

the mta was the greatest then it went wholly unmaintained for decades and now it doesnt work

tbf this happened to every transit system in america not just the mta

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Corla Plankun posted:

interview questions are almost always binary trees, but sometimes some super cs degree haver will make you write down a*.

I ran into binary search a lot too

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Corla Plankun posted:

interview questions are almost always binary trees, but sometimes some super cs degree haver will make you write down a*. you can get pretty far by just thinking about how an embedded dev would do it <problem> in as little memory as possible. just don't let cs jargon spook you, and if the cs jargoners won't explain their jargon when you ask, interpret it as a bad smell and don't judge yourself for 'failing' to read some dumbass bs cs's mind

edit: oh and i bookmarked this a while back but i haven't used it, it might help as a refresher

Thanks for the pep talk, framing it in terms of embedded stuff seems like it will be helpful. I appreciate the link, I'll check that out.

Arcsech posted:

I ran into binary search a lot too

This would be cool for me because binary search is essentially how I understand run times of log(n) in general.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Diva Cupcake posted:

i told the boston offer to extend my deadline past this weekend so the wife and I can ride up and hang out in lesser neighborhoods than our own to see how we like them. they didn't blink and told me to take my time so that's a decent sign.
protip: if u dont mind commuting, live in cambridge. west cambridge is one of the loveliest places ive been.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Asleep Style posted:

So this phone interview has turned into a real one. What's the best way to learn algorithms in a week?

hacker rank is pretty good interview prep, you can even pick problems that focus on specific things (string manipulation, graph search, greedy algorithms, etc) and they're classified as easy/medium/hard

I've noticed more companies are doing coder pad during interviews. Its great because writing on the whiteboard sucks... but its rough because now they actually want to see the code work, which means after you've gotten the gist of the algorithm down you have to debug it. Interviewing sucks....

On the plus side I had an in-person today with a GIS/Big Data company that I think went pretty well, might get an offer as early as next week :angel:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

tbf this happened to every transit system in america not just the mta

ya for sure. mbta is only not horrible yet because more time needs to pass

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Bloody posted:

love too use the MTA lockbox to build poo poo in sparsely populated upstate areas and then they vote to not help us fix poo poo

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Bloody posted:

ya for sure. mbta is only not horrible yet because more time needs to pass

just give em some more unfunded mandatory projects

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Diva Cupcake posted:

sounds about right. mine has had a pretty severe depression because her poo poo fashion career could barely cover the costs of new york daycare, hence the sahm. add cliquishness of the mommy crowd and I get it. it sucks

it's not gonna be any easier in boston

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Turned down the offer. They didn't want to budge on pay and also the employment contract included things like waiving my right to sue and only settling disputes through arbitration. I haven't seen that in an employment contract before and it set off some internal alarm bells. I've seen non-competes and "we own your intellectual property unless you put every idea you've ever had before working here in this box" clauses, but is waiving your right to sue a common thing?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

ThePeavstenator posted:

I'm only planning on taking this job if they give me an obnoxious raise.

ThePeavstenator posted:

Got an offer...for like 2/3s of what I get now in every aspect of compensation.

ThePeavstenator posted:

Turned down the offer. They didn't want to budge on pay and also the employment contract included things like waiving my right to sue and only settling disputes through arbitration. I haven't seen that in an employment contract before and it set off some internal alarm bells. I've seen non-competes and "we own your intellectual property unless you put every idea you've ever had before working here in this box" clauses, but is waiving your right to sue normal?
what was the impetus for even reading that far? sounds like you knew it wasn't a fit before those flags

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

JawnV6 posted:

what was the impetus for even reading that far? sounds like you knew it wasn't a fit before those flags

Job seemed good and similar to what I'm doing now, I like my current one but seemed worth it to not get rusty at interviewing and also to see how much money they'd drop. :shrug:

I was 99% not going to accept it after the initial offer but seemed worth at least seeing how they'd respond to a counter offer.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ThePeavstenator posted:

Turned down the offer. They didn't want to budge on pay and also the employment contract included things like waiving my right to sue and only settling disputes through arbitration. I haven't seen that in an employment contract before and it set off some internal alarm bells. I've seen non-competes and "we own your intellectual property unless you put every idea you've ever had before working here in this box" clauses, but is waiving your right to sue a common thing?

Sounds like epic, lol. I expect lots more Wisconsin companies to start adding clauses like that now that Jacob lost his lawsuit forever.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

ThePeavstenator posted:

It is now thanks to https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/21/business/supreme-court-upholds-workplace-arbitration-contracts.html

companies waited all of a day before shoving that poo poo directly into the boilerplate

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bhodi posted:

It is now thanks to https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/21/business/supreme-court-upholds-workplace-arbitration-contracts.html

companies waited all of a day before shoving that poo poo directly into the boilerplate

True story, I trained the plaintiff in this suit. He started as my tech comm mentee and like me he became a dev and left epic forever. My other trainee is a dev now too. I'm an unending scourge upon epic.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
yeah, binding arbitration agreements went into everyone’s poo poo and if you haven’t re-upped your employee handbook this year or w/e it’ll probably be in there when you do

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
q to those of you who sought out a new job recently: how long / how many applications before you got a call back?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

meatpotato posted:

q to those of you who sought out a new job recently: how long / how many applications before you got a call back?

6 months and I lost track of how many apps I sent out.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
i heard back in 2-3 business days for some, within 2 weeks for most, and never for many

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's not gonna be any easier in boston
probably not. i signed the boston offer letter though. still need to find a neighborhood that doesn't suck and i'm not dropping notice until the background check comes back, which it should soon.

looking in cambridge, somerville, east boston, and charlestown right now.

meatpotato posted:

since mid May:
21 applications or referrals (2 in-house recruiters)
9 no responses
6 outright rejection form letters
6 phone screens
3 multi-stage interview processes (technical, webex, on-site, etc)
1 offer

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
interviewing and job hunting is garbage

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Diva Cupcake posted:

probably not. i signed the boston offer letter though. still need to find a neighborhood that doesn't suck and i'm not dropping notice until the background check comes back, which it should soon.

looking in cambridge, somerville, east boston, and charlestown right now.
since mid May:
21 applications or referrals (2 in-house recruiters)
9 no responses
6 outright rejection form letters
6 phone screens
3 multi-stage interview processes (technical, webex, on-site, etc)
1 offer

where is the office

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
i've sent out 23 applications since early july
out of those 23, two had referrals
no responses at all (yet)

also, i've received only one non-bullshit linkedin recruiter solicitation, but I declined because the position was in boston lol

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
from my latest round:

30-35ish applications
4 got to any interview at all, the others got form letter rejections or nothing
3 of those got to a serious technical interview (onsite or onsite-equivalent for remote). the other one was the first time i did a hackerrank-style tech challenge interviewing and I bombed the gently caress out of it

of those 3:
one ghosted me
one rejected me
one offer

all over the course of about 6 months

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Bloody posted:

where is the office