Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
for some reason it 'clicked' with me at work the other day that i actually had visibility to a ton of our stuff on aws and I learned a ton about our infrastructure and wtf we're doing up there in the cloud and it has actually been pretty interesting

costs a god drat fortune though lmao god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
php is fine, fast, and cheap

pkay hrogramming panguage

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Finster Dexter posted:

ctps: I'm plumbing the depths of a whole new universe of being terrible. Currently staring at the AWS console and wondering why I agreed to do devops stuff. Currently reading Aurora docs and still unsure why I would want this. I just want to set up a database server, geez.

use azure sql instead.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
please do not use any cloud

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Triglav posted:

php is fine, fast, and cheap

pkay hrogramming panguage

Incorrect and bad.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

redleader posted:

please do not use any cloud

ratbert90 posted:

Incorrect and bad.

Shaggar posted:

use azure sql instead.

ratbert90 posted:

Incorrect and bad.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i don't mind using a cloud as long as somebody else is paying for it

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Corla Plankun posted:

costs a god drat fortune though lmao god

you ain't kidding i just checked and our aws spend last month was $1.3m and that's one of the cheaper months we've had lately

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Blinkz0rz posted:

you ain't kidding i just checked and our aws spend last month was $1.3m and that's one of the cheaper months we've had lately

this is total cost of about 10 computer touchers

if you save more than 10 computer touchers time on what you get, that's a positive on the balance sheet

if that $1.3m includes some big-rear end db boxes, that's like a whole computer toucher to deal with its poo poo, just for example

by being completely and totally commoditized and ruthlessly competitive with the knowledge that it's completely commoditizable and it's ok to commoditize it, this sort of cloudshit is one of the only places where capitalism unironically and completely works. also its mostly b2b so the peeps on both sides of the transaction are p. hard to victimize

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
drat dude where you at that a computer toucher pulls down 130k monthly

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Corla Plankun posted:

probably in my posts lol

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845966&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=107#post486987039

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Corla Plankun posted:

ah gently caress, monthly, missed that

100, then

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

aws is mostly expensive because people are terrible at capacity planning and also love to do absurb things like have every db insert routed through two layers of proxies, a kinesis shard, a dynamodb table, three lambdas and a couple sns topics

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

my c++ is definitely c with classes

what’s a good place to learn how to write modern c++?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Symbolic Butt posted:

this is me reading this:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

my new dog posted:

my academic license for github expired and now microsoft is holding my codes ransom

welcome to the social!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
lol my emulator101 code is slow enough that I can almost watch the instructions scroll by

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

Achmed Jones posted:

my c++ is definitely c with classes

what’s a good place to learn how to write modern c++?

any of Kate Gregory’s stuff. she’s able to bring you up to speed on stuff quickly. I think it’s all through pluralsight though.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

the talent deficit posted:

aws is mostly expensive because people are terrible at capacity planning and also love to do absurb things like have every db insert routed through two layers of proxies, a kinesis shard, a dynamodb table, three lambdas and a couple sns topics

please do not kinkshame in the terrible programmer thread

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Shaggar posted:

use azure sql instead.

if you like me is a terrible dba who just need the database to work then it's amazing

that's all, i don't know how to continue this argument

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Boiled Water posted:

if you like me is a terrible dba who just need the database to work then it's amazing

that's all, i don't know how to continue this argument

all cloud rdbms dealios do that tho

azure sql good as hell, goog sql also good as hell, rdb also good as hell

special poo poo remains special. redshift best columnar db (they all suck), only good distributed-as-gently caress transactional db is spanner, goog has by far best ml poo poo, only one with deec windows support is azure (ofc)

also, azure's naming is somehow good despite it being microsoft, amazon's is dog poo poo, goog is ok

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Aug 17, 2018

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

hey do you work at my job

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

ratbert90 posted:

I like modern C++ and think it has it's place.
I also really like Python and think it has it's place.

PHP can go gently caress right off though. :colbert:

this is like the "i listen to everything except rap and country" of programming opinions

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

CPColin posted:

lol my emulator101 code is slow enough that I can almost watch the instructions scroll by

is the printing itself the issue? mine is much slower when i have printing turned on.

i'm still working through the diagnostic. i made many many subtle and not so subtle errors around bit manipulation and integer over/underfflows because it was my first real exposure to those concepts. rust doesn't behave the same way as C with regard to shifts, overflows, casts, etc, so it took me a long time to figure all that stuff out.

sooooo many bugs. thank god for that cpu diagnostic program.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i got as far as emulating a mips cpu and a memory controller and sketched out some gpu register access dispatching for a psx-based arcade board before going "lol why the gently caress am i doing this i have a dozen other side projects withering atm"

it did get a decent way through the boot ROM though, right up to the point where it would activate display scanout

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah i'm not sure how far i'll go but after this much work i definitely want to at least print something to the screen or get some sound.

in other news!

code:
0x69E, CALL(69, 1)

a: AA	bc: 55AA	dc: AAAA	hl: 174	pc 145	sp: 6A9	iters: 608
        ConditionCodes { z: true, s: false, p: true, cy: false, ac: false }

0x145, PUSH(D)

a: AA	bc: 55AA	dc: AAAA	hl: 174	pc 146	sp: 6A7	iters: 609

0x146, XCHG

a: AA	bc: 55AA	dc: 174	hl: AAAA	pc 147	sp: 6A7	iters: 610

0x147, MVI(C, D, 9)

a: AA	bc: 559	dc: 174	hl: AAAA	pc 149	sp: 6A7	iters: 611

0x149, CALL(5, 0)
 CPU IS OPERATIONAL << yay!
        a: AA	bc: 559	dc: 174	hl: AAAA	pc 14C	sp: 6A7	iters: 612

0x14C, POP(D)

a: AA	bc: 559	dc: AAAA	hl: AAAA	pc 14D	sp: 6A9	iters: 613

0x14D, RET

a: AA	bc: 559	dc: AAAA	hl: AAAA	pc 6A1	sp: 6AB	iters: 614

0x6A1, JMP(0, 0)

a: AA	bc: 559	dc: AAAA	hl: AAAA	pc 6A4	sp: 6AB	iters: 615

"exit"

a: AA	bc: 559	dc: AAAA	hl: AAAA	pc 6A4	sp: 6AB	iters: 615
that was a slog towards the end. just an incredible number of bugs, but i feel really good about where things are now. it works and the code is workable for whatever the next step is.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Aug 17, 2018

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

vendors lol

lmao posted:

the file passed validation because the field was present [in the xml] but the output is wrong because the content was blank which is invalid

:discourse:

also I just remembered I had a drunken argument with an intern about mongo db last night. they said "that's where things are moving to" and I said "it's poo poo don't use it also welcome to 2015"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cjs: our 6 weeks long php job to upload php has finally been resolved. the full saga

- senior developer takes 4 weeks to fail getting php send file over sftp from prod, only succeeds on test
- gets inquiries from 4 different management tiers, finds ftps access credentials in poo poo gui provided by vendor and integrates over sftp ignoring vendor's requirement for sftp
- two weeks pass
- vendor bounces back saying "not secure"
- developer wastes 4 hours of my time saying "technically we integrated correctly since you can find ftps credentials in their web gui"
- i escalate to their team lead, who came in this morning for an hour, found out that prod runs on libssh2 1.4.3 that allegedly can't be upgraded, and made php call a bash script for sftp

fun fact: senior developer did receive from vendor's integration support the libssh2 version requirements

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

vendors lol

:discourse:

also I just remembered I had a drunken argument with an intern about mongo db last night. they said "that's where things are moving to" and I said "it's poo poo don't use it also welcome to 2015"

lmao nosql is old af, blockchain is the new hotness

And for real web scale you can go dual blockchain

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Finster Dexter posted:

lmao nosql is old af, blockchain is the new hotness

And for real web scale you can go dual blockchain

remember to scale your blokchain for the web by storing it on mongodb

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
non-tech people are starting to ask questions about using blockchains at work, help me help me help me

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

gonadic io posted:

non-tech people are starting to ask questions about using blockchains at work, help me help me help me

i hope my "like a distributed database but worse in every way and also you have no control over it by design" comments sunk in, we'll see!

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Sapozhnik posted:

this is like the "i listen to everything except rap and country" of programming opinions

no, people who reject rap and country out of prejudice are incorrect

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

gonadic io posted:

i hope my "like a distributed database but worse in every way and also you have no control over it by design" comments sunk in, we'll see!

James Mickens did a good little talk about blockchain recently, it's quite funny but I found it to also be legit informative about what blockchains do and why it's not really very useful for them to do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15RTC22Z2xI

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

https://twitter.com/coryodaniel/status/1029414668681469952

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

eschaton posted:

welcome to the social!

the github acquisition hasn't closed yet. you'll have to use vsts for your social in the meantime.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Sapozhnik posted:

While country is indeed terrible, I love rap, and I am super white.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

why would you learn modern c++ when you could just learn rust

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Bloody posted:

why would you learn modern c++ when you could just learn rust

self.
self.
self.
self.
self.
self.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

ratbert90 posted:

self.
self.
self.
self.
self.
self.

it's okay to explicitly state methods vs static functions op