Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

On November 27, 2014 (this can't have happened four years ago, time sucks), Colt Cabana (Scott Colton) had CM Punk (Philip Jack Brooks) on The Art of Wrestling Podcast, where Punk said a bunch of things about WWE's Dr. Christopher Amann. Amann was very unhappy about this and sued them. Punk and Cabana won, the heroes reigns triumphant, and the day was saved.

Then Punk demanded a little over $250,000 from Cabana for legal costs, which Cabana is claiming Punk agreed to cover.

And here we are.

If anyone has a better summary of the case (or if anything in this post is misrepresenting it, or if new evidence arises), go for it and I'll add it to the OP.

Here are publicly available documents regarding the case, including Cabana's complaint, his demands (approximately 1.25 million + legal fees for this case), and evidence. Effectively, these documents, at the moment, are Colt Cabana's case against Punk. These were accquired by David Bixenspan, and his work in getting these documents is appreciated.

The Complaint: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4753906-08-07-2018-Colton-Complaint-Original.html
Exhibit A: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4753907-08-07-2018-Colton-Complaint-Exhibit-A.html
Exhibit B (Colt/Punk texts after getting the Amann demand email): https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4753908-08-07-2018-Colton-Complaint-Exhibit-B.html
Exhibit C (Colt/Punk texts after getting the Amann demand physical copy): https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4753909-08-07-2018-Colton-Complaint-Exhibit-C.html
Exhibit D (Colt/Punk agreement with Punk's lawyers, which Colt claims says Punk is responsible for any legal fees): https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4753910-08-07-2018-Colton-Complaint-Exhibit-D.html
Exhibit E (Part of the Punk e-mail where he demands Cabana pay for legal fees): https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4753911-08-07-2018-Colton-Complaint-Exhibit-E.html
Exhibit F (Colt changing representation from Punk's team to Carey Stein): https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4753912-08-07-2018-Colton-Complaint-Exhibit-F.html
Exhibit G (E-mail chain between Cabana and Sunny Brenner of the firm representing Punk regarding the status of representation and legal fees going forward): https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4753913-08-07-2018-Colton-Complaint-Exhibit-G.html
Exhibit H (Punk's legal team withdrawing themselves as Cabana's counsel): https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4753914-08-07-2018-Colton-Complaint-Exhibit-H.html

I'm sure as this progresses we'll see more and more evidence and drama, and I'm not making this thread to keep it all in here, but this at least acts as a spot where we can keep things semi-organized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

doctor Amann was denied his rightful retribution by the corrupt american justice system

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
This is something I haven't really seen mentioned anywhere, but Punk was seemingly insistent on taking it to trial from the beginning; you'd think he would have gotten some kind of price quote.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Has it ever gotten out there what exactly happened between them following that original podcast other than this trial? There's been stuff out there about their fallout but I don't remember hearing anything solid from anyone

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:D

The rumor is that Punk got pissed off at Cabana for visiting backstage at a wwe show during the lawsuit years. That’s the rumor. Beyond that rumor, we don’t know what exactly happened between them.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
CM Punk seems like a good friend.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Malcolm Excellent posted:

CM Punk seems like a good friend.

The really weird thing is you hear stories like,"Punk paid off my mortgage when I casually mentioned I'd had to tighten my belt" but then the next day you hear,"I asked Punk to bring potato salad to the cookout and he set fire to an effigy of me on my parents' lawn."

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.
It's possible CM Punk is a fairly ordinary human being possessing both good and bad aspects.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

only brokebrained morons become pro wrestlers and be massive marks on top of it

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Cabana vs. Punk at UFC, loser pays court costs

book it dana

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Miching Mallecho posted:

The rumor is that Punk got pissed off at Cabana for visiting backstage at a wwe show during the lawsuit years. That’s the rumor. Beyond that rumor, we don’t know what exactly happened between them.

I think Bix mentioned in the other thread that that's a rumor that's come from one person and though they claimed to have a picture of Colt backstage they've never produced it.

So for all intents and purposes no one knows anything except those two, but I would think it's down to Punk being Punk.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Punk seems like the kind of guy who is generally swell and relatively good to most, until the moment you disagree with him on anything, then you are poo poo and you betrayed his entire bloodline

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

More and more, it seems like Punk is only a good/loyal friend on his own terms and has no idea how to handle minor personal conflicts without freaking out and severing ties. Pretty typical for someone who listens to hardcore, really.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

CombineThresher posted:

More and more, it seems like Punk is only a good/loyal friend on his own terms and has no idea how to handle minor personal conflicts without freaking out and severing ties. Pretty typical for someone who listens to hardcore, really.

Oh come on that’s not true! After the Earth AD record, Glenn Danzig wasn’t thrilled with how the Misfits were sounding so he...**checks notes**.....oh.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

fart blood posted:

Oh come on that’s not true! After the Earth AD record, Glenn Danzig wasn’t thrilled with how the Misfits were sounding so he...**checks notes**.....oh.

Danzig can't fight either, so that's two things he has in common with Punk.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

A Danzig CM Punk superfight would be a lockerroom sellout, UFC.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

I would be interested in AJ Lee and Chloe Dykstra comparing notes tbh

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

DrVenkman posted:

I think Bix mentioned in the other thread that that's a rumor that's come from one person and though they claimed to have a picture of Colt backstage they've never produced it.

So for all intents and purposes no one knows anything except those two, but I would think it's down to Punk being Punk.
Slight correction: Front Row Brian didn't claim to have pictures, he said Colt went backstage and took pictures. Nobody has corroborated it in any way, much less produced the photos. Some idiot on Wreddit was insistent that it was on MULTIPLE NEWS SITES then stopped replying when I asked what sites reported it without citing FRB's tweets.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Front Row Brian is not a credible source. Sometimes he guesses poo poo correctly tho.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I am saddened that two men I have never met, and only know via their outsized public personas are no longer friends.

I say this unironically.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Personally I love to position myself as the only good person in my industry and constantly bleat about loyalty and stuff. That having been done, i love to lie to my best friend so i can extort hundreds of thousands of dollars from them for no reason. Its my favorite.

I am C M Punk

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Cabana vs. Punk at UFC, loser pays court costs

book it dana

Punk get Ariel Helwani to interview him and he berates Dana for forcing him to fight with a hangnail and only 10 hours sleep, days after he loses to Colt in 45 seconds, knocked out by a shoot Flying rear end in a top hat.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
yeah i had a staph infection

simply
took
antibiotics,
pretty
harmless

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

every doctor should sue someone lying about them performing malpractice and lying about their condition during. cm punk is lucky that his former friend was named in the suit, as that's the only reason they won.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The doctor literally did admit to malpractice though. He didn't write proper prescriptions for the drugs he prescribed, he spread confidential patient info to Punk's co-workers and was just generally a lovely doctor.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Admitting to something is not the same thing as doing it, and hasn't been for 40+ years

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Did punk actually get a staph diagnosis after Amann kept feeding him Zpacs?

I thought that was the whole crux

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

coconono posted:

Did punk actually get a staph diagnosis after Amann kept feeding him Zpacs?

I thought that was the whole crux

No.

AJ Lee had her friend who she thought was a doctor look at it. He said it looked like staph and cut out the fatty lump. It never got tested for staph.

mariooncrack fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 17, 2018

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Cavauro posted:

Admitting to something is not the same thing as doing it, and hasn't been for 40+ years

well, sure, but there's literally no advantage for Amann in admitting it if he didn't do it.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
What was levied against Punk and Colt or the consequences if they had lost the lawsuit? Must have been pretty big if they require that much in legal fees. All over a stupid podcast, what a poo poo world. I can see some ramification if the two talked poo poo about a small business owner, but Amman is an employee of WWE right? and not some contractor. Not like he lost any money or suffered any kind of personal issues because of the podcast.

Basically WWE (Vince) got the second best outcome of the lawsuit, sent both of them through an emotional roller coaster, made one's net worth just dimes, and managed to ruin a friendship.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

ijii posted:

Not like he lost any money or suffered any kind of personal issues because of the podcast.
this was the doctor's claim, that he had suffered monetary damages as a result of punk and cabana's discussion on the podcast. amman's lawsuit would seek damages from the pair by making the case that they clearly and obviously caused him actual monetary harm by making false statements. all punk and cabana had to do was either show that the statements made on the podcast may have been true or that the only people who listen to podcasts with two wrestlers talking about wrestling are wrestling nerds so who gives a poo poo. had punk and cabana failed to do this, they would likely be liable for damages based on the amount of monetary damage suffered by amman.

this was an unwinnable case for amman and it was done to make punk and cabana miserable. so yeah, wwe won.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

cams posted:

this was the doctor's claim, that he had suffered monetary damages as a result of punk and cabana's discussion on the podcast. amman's lawsuit would seek damages from the pair by making the case that they clearly and obviously caused him actual monetary harm by making false statements. all punk and cabana had to do was either show that the statements made on the podcast may have been true or that the only people who listen to podcasts with two wrestlers talking about wrestling are wrestling nerds so who gives a poo poo. had punk and cabana failed to do this, they would likely be liable for damages based on the amount of monetary damage suffered by amman.

this was an unwinnable case for amman and it was done to make punk and cabana miserable. so yeah, wwe won.
Does anybody have a summary on how Amman presented his case on how he suffered monetary damages? I can't help but feel that this case should have been thrown out at the start. Hard to believe the case went on as long as it did and cause Colt to lose out that much in legal fees.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ijii posted:

Does anybody have a summary on how Amman presented his case on how he suffered monetary damages? I can't help but feel that this case should have been thrown out at the start. Hard to believe the case went on as long as it did and cause Colt to lose out that much in legal fees.

I'm not joking, from the summaries I read it sounded like he literally got on the stand and said,"This didn't affect my professional life in any way, didn't affect how my peers or co-workers or employer saw me, didn't affect my private practice (which I don't have) at all and I lost no money real or potential in any way... but I felt bad for a little bit at Thanksgiving, give me 40 million dollars."

The case was clearly bankrolled by WWE with the intention of loving over CM Punk in revenge for walking away from the company and being open about how lovely they were. That was the only reason Cabana was included, because they knew it would put pressure/strain on Punk. They probably thought he would settle/apologize (a win for them) but if he didn't it would chew up a ton of cash and negatively affect his life. Amman may have lost the case and made him look far worse than the podcast ever did, but Punk had to burn through a lot of money and it obviously ruined his relationship with Cabana in the process.

Remember, this is the company that "accidentally" sent him a,"You're fired!" letter on the day of his wedding. They're petty beyond belief.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It was a couple years between the start of the actual suit being filed and the end of the trial. The whole point was draining money from at least one of them, the overall result definitely didn't matter as much to WWE

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Amman admitting to having a romantic/sexual relationship with a patient and making it part of the public record, though? All him or the lawyer's fault. It doesn't impact his actual case in any way, but makes Punk's case look a lot better because it shows he absolutely was an unethical doctor.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Amman may have lost the case and made him look far worse than the podcast ever did, but Punk had to burn through a lot of money and it obviously ruined his relationship with Cabana in the process.

Remember, this is the company that "accidentally" sent him a,"You're fired!" letter on the day of his wedding. They're petty beyond belief.

The unstated goal of this lawsuit was to make sure that no other former employees would ever go on a podcast later to disparage WWE's medical staff, and knowing that regardless of the outcome you may end up stuck paying millions of dollars, they succeeded. Being Punk and Colt was a bonus.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Amann opened himself up a can of worms on his own, but his case had pretty much no legs to stand on in the first place. It was, from the start, just a spite attempt from the WWE to drain CM Punk's bank account. A big cooperation that can afford to drop a couple hundred thousand was never going to hurt them versus the emotional and financial strain on an individual.

It worked, CM Punk is sliding down and becoming even more paranoid and the lovely WWE doctor loses absolutely nothing and has a job for life regardless of what the outcome was. Even in the best case scenario for Punk and Cabana, they're still being drained while Amann gets paid full time to be a dumbass in court.

Amann admitted to many things that SHOULD have gotten him fired and blacklisted from ever working again but being bankrolled by the WWE makes it all irrelevant. It's just politics as usual.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

If you look at this case and don't think "America's justice system must be burned to the ground and the earth salted around it" I don't know what to tell you.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
CM Punk: cool, doesn’t do drugs, knows how to fight irl, rich, hot wife, CM stands for Chicago Man

Colt Cabana: ugly, fat, looks like a boardwalk caricature drawing of an actual person, can’t even afford legal fees, has a failed podcast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

If you base your feelings about the american justice system on this trash case that isn't 1/10 as bad as some of the poo poo that happens in it, then you're a god drat wizard of hell who can do any magic you'd like at any time, and kill anyone, and become stronger than a bunch of people

• Locked thread