Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

mewse posted:

Did Dana ever explain his statement “actually Conor does have a title defense, but she lives in Canada and you’ve never met her”

Yeah. The argument is that he was 'defending' the interim FW belt when he fought Aldo. I've also heard it parroted in Facebook comment sections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
the interim belts only significance is it means yer definitely not the champion

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

STONE COLD 64 posted:

im gonna get paid to watch it lol

sick

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Putting the price that high is a marketing strategy to build hype.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

The reason for the ticket pricing for Conor/Khabib, in addition to the fact that they think it's going to command a higher gate based on the fight card itself, is that there's a ton of other poo poo going on in Vegas that weekend. There's two Drake concerts, the Golden Knights' season opener, something else, AND the fight. So they know a ton of people are going to be in town already and probably the type to spend extra to go see a fight.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

JaySB posted:

The reason for the ticket pricing for Conor/Khabib, in addition to the fact that they think it's going to command a higher gate based on the fight card itself, is that there's a ton of other poo poo going on in Vegas that weekend. There's two Drake concerts, the Golden Knights' season opener, something else, AND the fight. So they know a ton of people are going to be in town already and probably the type to spend extra to go see a fight.

I never really thought about this, but I guess with an event like that a draw for a person with money to burn is that they might get a seat next to some fighters or a celebrity.

Or maybe not. I always liked sitting in higher seats watching folks get punched.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

mewse posted:

Did Dana ever explain his statement “actually Conor does have a title defense, but she lives in Canada and you’ve never met her”

Conor is going to fight Sarah Kaufman for the Invicta Bantamweight belt.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

CommonShore posted:

Watching Silva-Stann now. Holy crap this fight is dumb as poo poo in the best possible way. It's like two seven year olds spamming the A button.

Wanderlei vs Leben is on deck... that was one that was dumb as poo poo, too. Leben probably took more brain damage because of that win (because it kept him in the UFC for a series of bad beatings) than because of any loss in his career.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
lol at the slow, unflinching zoom

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Still sad that the UFC doesn't have a brigade of tiny Japanese men to do that for him.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Happy 5 year anniversary of this photo

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Happy 5 year anniversary of this photo

Buddy, please leave bostonians, bald white guys, Google glasses, and Patriots fans alone. I insist since I'm a lot of those things.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Daaaaamn
https://twitter.com/lthomasnews/status/1030465694989737985

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

So what are the vegas odds on the Conor vs Khabib fight actually happening as scheduled lol

It not getting rescheduled or cancelled has to have extreme underdog odds and I wish I could bet on that

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

I love how modern it looks. I wonder how much the sambo Khabib trained had any cross pollination, or if it's just a matter of being a complete grappling art and that MMA has been slowly catching up to be able to showcase those moves.

Won't give any credit for stuffing that super lovely shot, though :colbert:

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.flocombat.com/articles/6239632-justin-gaethje-i-need-to-be-scared-vs-james-vick-at-ufc-lincoln

i admit im too stupid to adjust my style now that i'm fighting killers and i wish i could pick and choose who is entertained by me getting lit up and hurt bad

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

What's the general consensus on best value for UFC tickets? Plenty of tickets are still available for the Lincoln show, and I'm inclined to watch Gaethje murder or get murdered in person. Despite being a giant MMA nerd for the past decade plus, I've never been to a live UFC card.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I’ve done the nose bleeds 3 times, wish I’d have spring for floor or first section seats. It’s fun no matter what tho

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

Skip My Posts posted:

https://www.flocombat.com/articles/6239632-justin-gaethje-i-need-to-be-scared-vs-james-vick-at-ufc-lincoln

i admit im too stupid to adjust my style now that i'm fighting killers and i wish i could pick and choose who is entertained by me getting lit up and hurt bad

He hasn't won since having his horrible vision corrected by surgery, which leads me to conclude that him being able to see makes him worse.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

First row in the stands above the floor seats is the best spot to sit in every arena I’ve been to.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

First row in the stands above the floor seats is the best spot to sit in every arena I’ve been to.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I prefer first set of risers maybe 10-15 rows up so you have a completely unobstructed view.

Floor seats are only good if you care about and are able to sit next to celebrities and fighters.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

JaySB posted:

I prefer first set of risers maybe 10-15 rows up so you have a completely unobstructed view.

Floor seats are only good if you care about and are able to sit next to celebrities and fighters.

The seats I’ve sat in have always been pretty unobstructed plus i got pictures with fighters, buffer, and Joe Silva who seemed genuinely shocked that he had fans.

The one downside is you can sometimes have one if the octagon corner joints blocking some action, but it’s never been a problem to me.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

The seats I’ve sat in have always been pretty unobstructed plus i got pictures with fighters, buffer, and Joe Silva who seemed genuinely shocked that he had fans.

The one downside is you can sometimes have one if the octagon corner joints blocking some action, but it’s never been a problem to me.

I, personally, prefer to look down into the cage rather than through it. The seats you like are definitely better than floor, I just like being a little higher up.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Not all Nazis are wife beaters

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Thanks folks. There are some front row super premium seats still available that are going for less than the cheapest announced Khabib/Conor sticker price, but I can't imagine I'd be rubbing shoulders with too many stars in Lincoln, Nebraska in August. Maybe since it's my first show I'll splurge if I can convince the wife. Maybe Gaethje will bleed on me. If not, I'll look for something decent in the lower bowl of the upper level.

e: vvv good point

Eat This Glob fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 17, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Eat This Glob posted:

Thanks folks. There are some front row super premium seats still available that are going for less than the cheapest announced Khabib/Conor sticker price, but I can't imagine I'd be rubbing shoulders with too many stars in Lincoln, Nebraska in August. Maybe since it's my first show I'll splurge if I can convince the wife. Maybe Gaethje will bleed on me. If not, I'll look for something decent in the lower bowl of the upper level.

You'll probably get to see/talk to fighters and their teams, which is sometimes as cool as the fight itself if you're on the ground level.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Eat This Glob posted:

What's the general consensus on best value for UFC tickets? Plenty of tickets are still available for the Lincoln show, and I'm inclined to watch Gaethje murder or get murdered in person. Despite being a giant MMA nerd for the past decade plus, I've never been to a live UFC card.

If you want to be close to the fighters and maybe hear their coaches, then probably on the floor as close as possible. If you want the best view of the fight, then cageside just above the cage, looking down into it with a good view of the big screen when they grapple. That is what I usually get, there are usually two pricing tiers in the lower level and I usually get in on the presale to buy the first row of tickets up on the cheaper tier. That often ends up being around row 12-14 or so.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

The lapdog of a murderous tyrant is clutching his pearls at people in his country enjoying a rap concert

I'm gonna be sorely disappointed but I really hope Conor lays him out

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

spb posted:

Not all Nazis are wife beaters

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
clutching his pearls

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Is that a new expression for you

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Eat This Glob posted:

e: vvv good point

You can hang out with me in beautiful Lincoln. I went for $60 tickets because my friend just had a baby and I dropped a ton of money to go see GSP last year.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

chaleski posted:

Is that a new expression for you

no its actually used so much now its lost all meaning

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

You're right dude, I'm sorry

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Thought link was gonna be about Dana and was curious what he had against rap.

PS has Khabib ever shouted out his wife in post fight interviews? I'm guessing not.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
khabib's right. america invented rap concerts and now look at it.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

chaleski posted:

You're right dude, I'm sorry

i accept your apology my man

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
dana likes public enemy a lot or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU