Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Wendell posted:

The cartoon for 10 year olds doesn’t appeal to you, an adult? Star Wars....is dead.

...for me, yes. I wasn't saying that Star Wars is now bad, I was saying that Star Wars is now not for me.

Besides, my barometer for Star Wars animated shows is Clone Wars, which was a really well made television despite me being an adult when it came out, as well. The entire appeal of that was that it cared more about character and storytelling than being a cartoon that appeals exclusively to kids. As I said, to each their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

feedmyleg posted:

Besides, my barometer for Star Wars animated shows is Clone Wars, which was a really well made television despite me being an adult when it came out, as well. The entire appeal of that was that it cared more about character and storytelling than being a cartoon that appeals exclusively to kids. As I said, to each their own.

I don't know if you can judge the entire thing on one minute of footage. Can you really say with complete confidence that this won't care about characters and storytelling when it's been created by the guy who ran Clone Wars and Rebels?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Filoni quit the show to work on the new Clone Wars season—but point taken. Tonally it just seems like a goofy kids show to me, however.

There's a difference between "all ages" content and "kids" content. Something like the Duck Tales reboot does a great job at putting good writing and deeper storytelling into a family-friendly package. It's a well written show and doesn't cut corners just because its primary audience is under 15. That sort of quality is far more the exception than the rule, and that's what I'm reacting against. Though probably overreacting.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

feedmyleg posted:

Filoni quit the show to work on the new Clone Wars season—but point taken. Tonally it just seems like a goofy kids show to me, however.

I'm not terribly enthused by the trailer but I'll happily give it a chance once it comes out. I acknowledge that this has a good chance of being bad (a possibility which will no doubt become clearer as we see more footage) I feel like I need to reserve my judgment until I've seen more.

I don't deny you could well be correct, though I do recall from when I watched Clone Wars that there was plenty of stuff you could have taken out (even from just the first season) and put in a one-minute sizzle reel to make it look like more of a comedy. Rebels was a darker show but I think there was a lot of humour in Clone Wars which gets overlooked because it's now viewed through the lens of Rebels.

Moreover, I suppose I remember when the trailer for the Clone Wars (movie) came out when people were possibly even less interested in Star Wars than they are now (though I guess it should be acknowledged that most people who were down on the series in 2008 were indifferent rather than actively hostile as they are in 2018) and you had people going on about how Lucas had made Star Wars too childish and how the animation looked terrible.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

That Green Book trailer really hit me, mahershala ali is a wonder.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Viggo Mortensen is slowly morphing into William Forsythe.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just ignore everything but the episodes. You've liked 1/2 of those.

edit: Re: Star Wars guy.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

...for me, yes. I wasn't saying that Star Wars is now bad, I was saying that Star Wars is now not for me.

how did you feel after watching the Droids and Ewoks cartoon series?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That new Star Wars Resistance show looks goddamn amazing - wow.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Hakkesshu posted:

Viggo Mortensen is slowly morphing into William Forsythe.

I would 100% watch an Out For Justice remake with Viggo as Richie Madano.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dillbag posted:

I would 100% watch an Out For Justice remake with Viggo as Richie Madano.

Who would play Gino Fellino?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Who would play Gino Fellino?

Michael Shannon.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Has anyone seen RITCHAAAY?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

ruddiger posted:

Michael Shannon.

:getin:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Samuel Clemens posted:

DeimosRising is saying that in the twelve years between Children of Men and now, Cuarón only made one film (Gravity), but that the film he made before Gravity (Children of Men) is one of the best of the 21th century. He phrased it a bit confusingly perhaps, but I can't disagree with the sentiment.

yeah it basically required a citation of his filmography

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

That new Star Wars Resistance show looks goddamn amazing - wow.

I feel like this is probably sarcastic given the other comments, but despite the dialogue aimed at young kids, I actually thought the aesthetic was kind of great? Like it really does look fantastic. I normally hate CGI television, but they seem to have found a look that works with the budget and production schedule without feeling like corners were cut.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

I'm basically down for anything Danny McBride or David Allen Grier.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Bugblatter posted:

I feel like this is probably sarcastic given the other comments, but despite the dialogue aimed at young kids, I actually thought the aesthetic was kind of great? Like it really does look fantastic. I normally hate CGI television, but they seem to have found a look that works with the budget and production schedule without feeling like corners were cut.

It does, I’m not messing around. I’ve loved Clone Wars and Rebels. This looks like more of what I want. The aesthetics are really slick and the ships looks beautiful in motion which is why I love Star Wars - ships.

Rebels came across as cheesy kids stuff in previews but explored some amazing character arcs. I have no doubt this series will be just as good as the last 2.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

feedmyleg posted:

Yuck.

To each their own, but I find that visual style extremely unappealing. And that writing style. And that directing style.

Oh well, Disney has done a superb job in breaking me of my Star Wars habit over the past few years and this is just another nail in the coffin. Literally the only thing I've enjoyed from their stewardship is The Last Jedi because it's the only one that took any kind of risk or had anything interesting to say.

Can we please keep the hilarious hot takes like this in the Star Wars threads? It's bait.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Slutitution posted:

Can we please keep the hilarious hot takes like this in the Star Wars threads? It's bait.

He’d be right if it had been Rogue One.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Who cares

Joe the Strummer
Jun 14, 2012

Real Star Wars fans (me) hate all the movies equally

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Joe the Strummer posted:

Real Star Wars fans (me) hate all the movies equally

George Lucas is the only True Fan.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-G1BME8FKw

I'm in.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gently caress, beaten. yeah seems neat but Chris' accent is hilarious

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It looks better than the Mary Queen of Scots one with Saoirse Ronan, which looked to me like it may end up taking a few too many liberties with historical events.

Then again, I know more about Mary than about Robert the Bruce.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

David Mackenzie directed this? Count me the gently caress in.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Braveheart sequel lookin pretty good.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The trailer for Slice, the pizza-themed horror comedy starring Chance the Rapper, looks... great?

I was definitely assuming that it would be more slick or self-serious, but this just looks like a ton of fun and exactly the sort of horror comedy I wish there were more of.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Wheat Loaf posted:

It looks better than the Mary Queen of Scots one with Saoirse Ronan, which looked to me like it may end up taking a few too many liberties with historical events.

Then again, I know more about Mary than about Robert the Bruce.

That loving thing just looked like someone heard about the concept of Mary Queen of Scots and went crazy with it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
The new film from Jeremy Saulnier, director of Blue Ruin and Green Room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvgH47Ek54M

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I'll be on my couch opening night

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

LesterGroans posted:

The new film from Jeremy Saulnier, director of Blue Ruin and Green Room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvgH47Ek54M

I wanna say Wendigo?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Slutitution posted:

He's not wrong though.

Aside from Rose and Mary Poppins Leia, TLJ was fantastic.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Deakul posted:

He's not wrong though.

Aside from Rose and Mary Poppins Leia, TLJ was fantastic.

I wonder what would colour your opinion on her.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Instead of Leia slowly Force-reeling herself back into the ship they should have moved the scene to later in the film and replaced the Holdo Manoeuvre with Leia doing a Kamikaze Hyperspeed Force Punch.

Edit: Also, just before she does it she has to yell out "Kamikaze Hyperspeed Force Punch!"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Shut up! Shut up! I'll drive this thread straight off a cliff, swear to God!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DrVenkman posted:

That loving thing just looked like someone heard about the concept of Mary Queen of Scots and went crazy with it.

I am of the view that every would-be Tudor epic from now on, regardless of how historically accurate it aspires to be, should portray Elizabeth I like Miranda Richardson from Blackadder II.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Lobok posted:

Instead of Leia slowly Force-reeling herself back into the ship they should have moved the scene to later in the film and replaced the Holdo Manoeuvre with Leia doing a Kamikaze Hyperspeed Force Punch.

Edit: Also, just before she does it she has to yell out "Kamikaze Hyperspeed Force Punch!"

She used the force to split the atoms in her body, a spirit bomb if you will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
I assume everyone is talking about this?

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1003996810749173762