Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly that part of that episode really annoyed me, cause while the show plays extremely loosely with anything resembling continuity at even the best times(personally I feel it's to the show's overall detriment, but I feel that applies to most animated sitcoms), one of the most recurring details regarding Francine the show had established was that she was very experienced with sexual stuff with other women, if they had presented it as being an issue purely on Stan's side than it would have made more sense

And yes I'm well aware this is an incredibly Goony position to have

Who's to say it wasn't completely Stan's issue in this case too? Francine seemed to be directing Stan, but it just wasn't working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

The_Doctor posted:

Who's to say it wasn't completely Stan's issue in this case too? Francine seemed to be directing Stan, but it just wasn't working.

You're probably right, it's just the writing was really vague in that scene

Personally I think they should have approached it from a different angle, like say have the sex stuff work out initially, but show that over time Stan is uncomfortable not being the dominant one in their relationship anymore, rather than them trying it and giving up after two minutes

But honestly doing a literal gender bender episode would have worked better with Steve in the first place

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

drrockso20 posted:

But honestly doing a literal gender bender episode would have worked better with Steve in the first place

They kind of already did one in the first few seasons when Steve grew some bodacious boobs. Sure Stan grew some too, but it wasn't until the very end.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
We could also include the surprisingly sensitive LGBSteve.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

limp_cheese posted:

They kind of already did one in the first few seasons when Steve grew some bodacious boobs. Sure Stan grew some too, but it wasn't until the very end.

That episode is one that they probably couldn't do today

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

We could also include the surprisingly sensitive LGBSteve.

Great episode, although it highlights what I said regarding how the show would be better with tighter continuity, as it comes after the "Stan becomes a woman" episode, and thus it feels kinda weird that the gender changing pills don't get brought up even in an offhand way when gender is the main issue of the episode(or the fact that another main cast member had recently gone through that kind of thing)

I think what bugs me the most about the lack of consistent continuity in animated sitcoms is that it is many times easier to keep track of that kind of thing in a cartoon than it would be on a live action sitcom, so it just feels like laziness that they don't

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

The main problem with American Dad is they've killed off everyone a few times so it's hard to do continuity. Throw Roger in the mix and it gets even harder. That being said I do wish more shows kept track of continuity the way The Venture Brothers does.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Francine, those were obviously dreams. I refuse to discuss your dreams in the daytime.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

limp_cheese posted:

The main problem with American Dad is they've killed off everyone a few times so it's hard to do continuity. Throw Roger in the mix and it gets even harder. That being said I do wish more shows kept track of continuity the way The Venture Brothers does.

True

The_Doctor posted:

Francine, those were obviously dreams. I refuse to discuss your dreams in the daytime.

That line honestly pisses me off whenever I hear it, but then I really dislike it whenever the show mocks the idea of having continuity, which it does a lot

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

drrockso20 posted:

That line honestly pisses me off whenever I hear it, but then I really dislike it whenever the show mocks the idea of having continuity, which it does a lot

I laugh like crazy at it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

I laugh like crazy at it.

When taken by itself I do agree it is funny, it's the line's meta context that annoys me

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

In an effort to find out when the new season was coming out I goggled "American Dad Premiere." The first suggestion that most people ask is "Is American Dad Cancelled", the second is "When Was American Dad Cancelled." I feel like this show needs to work on its advertising.

I'm also wondering if I'm a snob for liking things that few people know about.

Edit: From actually searching all I can find is maybe in 2019.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 18, 2018

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hard to say when it comes back. The previous 22 episode season went Nov-Dec, April-Sept.

This current season had the Christmas premiere, then went Feb-May. So I don't know if that means we get new episodes in the fall or what the deal is.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly that part of that episode really annoyed me, cause while the show plays extremely loosely with anything resembling continuity at even the best times(personally I feel it's to the show's overall detriment, but I feel that applies to most animated sitcoms), one of the most recurring details regarding Francine the show had established was that she was very experienced with sexual stuff with other women, if they had presented it as being an issue purely on Stan's side than it would have made more sense

And yes I'm well aware this is an incredibly Goony position to have

That bugged me too, here's the explanation I came up with:

Francine is bisexual, but just because someone is sexually attracted to women doesn't mean they're sexually attracted to every woman. Female Stan, while conventionally attractive, just isn't Francine's type (as seen in the My Morning Jacket episode she prefers women who are a little more butch). Stan, meanwhile, had his gender swapped but not his sexuality. The female version of him is heterosexual, just like the male version, and isn't capable of feeling sexual attraction to other women. So they're physically incompatible, even though they still care about each other on an emotional level.

drrockso20 posted:

Great episode, although it highlights what I said regarding how the show would be better with tighter continuity, as it comes after the "Stan becomes a woman" episode, and thus it feels kinda weird that the gender changing pills don't get brought up even in an offhand way when gender is the main issue of the episode(or the fact that another main cast member had recently gone through that kind of thing)

I think what bugs me the most about the lack of consistent continuity in animated sitcoms is that it is many times easier to keep track of that kind of thing in a cartoon than it would be on a live action sitcom, so it just feels like laziness that they don't

The gender changing pills wouldn't have really helped Steve in that situation, he wasn't trying to change into a woman he was trying to decide whether or not he already was one.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

That bugged me too, here's the explanation I came up with:

Francine is bisexual, but just because someone is sexually attracted to women doesn't mean they're sexually attracted to every woman. Female Stan, while conventionally attractive, just isn't Francine's type (as seen in the My Morning Jacket episode she prefers women who are a little more butch). Stan, meanwhile, had his gender swapped but not his sexuality. The female version of him is heterosexual, just like the male version, and isn't capable of feeling sexual attraction to other women. So they're physically incompatible, even though they still care about each other on an emotional level.

The gender changing pills wouldn't have really helped Steve in that situation, he wasn't trying to change into a woman he was trying to decide whether or not he already was one.

I was thinking more in the initial part of that plot when Hayley is initially passing Steve off as being her "sister", could easily see Hayley pushing Steve into taking them if the opportunity had been present

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

drrockso20 posted:

I was thinking more in the initial part of that plot when Hayley is initially passing Steve off as being her "sister", could easily see Hayley pushing Steve into taking them if the opportunity had been present

Ah, but you're forgetting about a key component of Hayley's character: she's lazy.

Why bother walking all the way down to your dad's office to get a magical pill when you can just grab some masking tape out of the garage and call it a day?

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
everything Roger does makes sense continuity-wise as long as you remember he can move very, very fast

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Ein cooler Typ posted:

everything Roger does makes sense continuity-wise as long as you remember he can move very, very fast

We are the music makers. We are the dreamers of dreams.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The census episode just played on Adult Swim. When I first saw that episode I was... weirdly delighted to hear Ice-T’s voice at the end.

Ice-T owns.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I love how Steve says "witches" in the good-boy witches episode.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

I love how Steve says "witches" in the good-boy witches episode.

It's like there's a ! at the end of it each time.

Also that episode made me remember Steve Miller Band exists.

EDIT: I had to rewatch it, and I apparently missed the 1 second shot with a Dalek before.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Aug 20, 2018

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

It's like there's a ! at the end of it each time.

Also that episode made me remember Steve Miller Band exists.

EDIT: I had to rewatch it, and I apparently missed the 1 second shot with a Dalek before.

But we're WITCHes! now!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

:) “Dylan was bad, and now we have the jar.”

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Roger joins New York's Fashion Week:

https://www.vogue.com/article/christian-cowan-american-dad-collaboration

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

MISTER AND LADY IN ROBOT VOICE

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Ricky Spanish is the perfect American Dad episode

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Whorelord posted:

Ricky Spanish is the perfect American Dad episode

The Werner Herzog cameo is the perfect topper

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

MizPiz posted:

The Werner Herzog cameo is the perfect topper

"JENNY!"

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd
Golden era of the show was from about season 3 to season 11 which is a pretty impressive run. Season 12 has some good episodes in it, but at this point I feel the show is way off from where it once was. I miss the clever, multi layered jokes that seem to come effortlessly in the previous seasons. The show was at its best when it wasn't going for the cable tv shock factor imo.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

"You're re-enacting the Vietnam War?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoGsVDRb7GM

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

I want to say thank you for posting this.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Party Plane Jones posted:

It was from the Krampus episode that got delayed a year because of Sandy Hook.

The part with the knife hitting a wall and the wall turning out to be a sentient being always makes me cry with laughter

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

:siren: New episodes from Jan 28th, 2019. :toot:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That’s a long break between airings

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

*deep sigh* Alright, I guess.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I've said it before but they really don't seem to appreciate the show. Give it to me. I'll distribute it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

FlamingLiberal posted:

That’s a long break between airings

On the other hand, it's apparently 1.5 seasons in direct succession. 31 episodes will take up most of 2019.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

cant cook creole bream posted:

On the other hand, it's apparently 1.5 seasons in direct succession. 31 episodes will take up most of 2019.
That’s an improvement, but it will be like 7-8 months since they put out the last episode by the time they come back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Edit: Oh wait never mind! I misread something that.