Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

AWarmBody posted:

Help. I have half a Costco peach pie ( SUCH BOUNTY) with a sell by date of 7/31/2018. It's been in the fridge the whole time. Is it safe to eat? Reheat and eat? Am I risking illness?

Please help. this is an urgent issue as I've just put the pie on the counter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream

AWarmBody posted:

Please help. this is an urgent issue as I've just put the pie on the counter

:yeshaha:

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does it smell alright, taste alright, and look alright? If so I say go for it.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

belt posted:

This person gets it!!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

belt posted:

Yep, smell is probably the most important. If it doesn't smell like rot, dig in.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
The pie is in the oven, toasting up.
Thank you, believers

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

RIP gentle pie loving goon.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

AWarmBody posted:

Help. I have half a Costco peach pie ( SUCH BOUNTY) with a sell by date of 7/31/2018. It's been in the fridge the whole time. Is it safe to eat? Reheat and eat? Am I risking illness?

pie is made from fruit preserves and bread. under ideal conditions these can be shelf stable for decades. i say eat it, but be sure you heat it up first

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Eat the gently caress out of it

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
I have an unfortunate update for all of you.
It looked lovely.
It smelled lovely.
I was so ready for it.

But that first bite tasted like was a musty old rain-damaged books goshDANGIT.
It was bad. The second bite didn't happen, and neither did the first swallow. It went in the garbage.

If I had kept it in an air tight container in the fridge it would've lasted the two weeks past sell by date?

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not sure about the airtight container but I think freezing it would have been ideal. Sorry about your pie :(

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

AWarmBody posted:

I have an unfortunate update for all of you.
It looked lovely.
It smelled lovely.
I was so ready for it.

But that first bite tasted like was a musty old rain-damaged books goshDANGIT.
It was bad. The second bite didn't happen, and neither did the first swallow. It went in the garbage.

If I had kept it in an air tight container in the fridge it would've lasted the two weeks past sell by date?

Dang.
In your honor I am enjoying a previously airtight and frozen poppy seed muffin from Costco, cut in half and toasted via toaster oven with a little butter.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

:rip:

Such a travesty

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
8/16 Never Forget :qq:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yo here's a cheap and greasy treat to make for your next Cotrip. The package of meat goes for about $25. Don't use pork loin in the tube because it ain't fatty enough and won't shred nicely.

1 package Pork Country Ribs (no bone), some fat trimmed if you want to be healthy
1 container salsa of your choice (guacsalsa is the best, but Herdez green is good and available at some Cos)

Cut pork into chunks and place in a large pot/cast iron dutch oven. Salt very lightly and fill with water until meat is just covered.
Cook until water is boiling, then cover with lid, lower temperature and simmer for 2 hours.
Remove lid and raise temperature to medium to allow water to cook off. Continue cooking at reduced temperature to allow meat to brown/crisp.

Once it reaches desired state, dump container of salsa into meat and stir.

Serve with tortillas or chips, garnish with some lime or cilantro if you're a terrible person.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
The shareholders haven't gotten to the costco nearest me yet, they still had the onion dispenser that the shareholders militantly oppose.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Taima posted:

Ask sometime if they'll make you a fresh churro. They are loving incredible when fresh, but they don't get ordered that much so they mostly just sit under a heat lamp getting stale. I also wouldn't be amazed if they were removed from the food court sometime soon-ish given the change in menu recently.

I mean they're still good, which is a testament to their quality, but yeah. Get you a fresh 'ro.

I went during the lunch rush and some dude had just bought 3 of them, so I'm fairly sure they weren't sitting around too long. Granted, Taco John's makes a better churro, but they're a loving dollar at the 'co.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
AYO so my parents(!!!) turned me on to the beer battered cod frozen filets. They are great if you wanna go straight up fish-n-chips but are ALSO the perfect size for fish tacos. Or just eat em straight up with rice/veggies or whatever.

A new staple for my freezer. P.B.U.C!!!

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
The bags of vacuum sealed kirkland cod are really good. Same with the halibut for something fancy. They even have chilean sea bass.

If you've got a sous vide thing, do them with some lemon zest and butter, absolutely fantastic.

But yeah the trident? or something battered cod are good too.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

hakimashou posted:

But yeah the trident? or something battered cod are good too.

Yeah those are those are the ones.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Chinatown posted:

AYO so my parents(!!!) turned me on to the beer battered cod frozen filets. They are great if you wanna go straight up fish-n-chips but are ALSO the perfect size for fish tacos. Or just eat em straight up with rice/veggies or whatever.

A new staple for my freezer. P.B.U.C!!!

How do you cook them?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Bucnasti posted:

How do you cook them?

They only recommend a baking sheet in the oven.Otherwise you wont get that crispy outside.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

The frozen cod filets are a staple in my household, it's good poo poo when you're feeling lazy and need something to pair with rice and steamed veggies

They actually replaced them with some other more expensive brand for a few months, but thankfully they went back to Trident recently.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
I'm another crazy person whose Costco trips are almost always under $100. I go in once a week, buy a rotisserie chicken, a package of some kind of berries, and usually a household necessity like toilet paper. Then I get my kid a dog on the way out.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Chinatown posted:

They only recommend a baking sheet in the oven.Otherwise you wont get that crispy outside.

A deep fryer is the real answer.

FlyTB20C
Sep 16, 2004

I, a recent convert to the cause, have purchased a sherpa throw today. Thank you all for the guidance. PBUC.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Moey posted:

A deep fryer is the real answer.

I don't own one of those and do not want to for health reasons but yeah that would be the best answer.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
They are pretty good and crispy with an Air Fryer. Those are better on the health side too and usually a little quicker than the oven. Also I don't have to turn the oven on when it is 90 degrees out.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Filets on cookie grid on top rack in oven and then put a cookie sheet below the filets to catch crumbs.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Thinking bout a third Sherpa....

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Chinatown posted:

Toss with a few teaspoons of neutral oil (vegetable or canola) before throwing in the oven. That little bit of fat makes a difference in terms of extra crispyness and friedness.

Oh and if you have a convection oven, make sure the convection function is on. That's how air fryers get things crisp, by circulating air over a thin layer of fat. They're basically just mini convection ovens.

Anyway, heading to church after work today for a planned sub-$100 trip (Kirkland Canadian Whisky and paper towels). I'm redoing my living room though, so impulse-buying a few hundred dollars' worth of furniture is not out of the question.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

same tbh

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Honestly, I go to costco several times a week some times. Usually my bill is within 60-95 per trip. Some times I'm just in the area and pop in for something like an under $5 purchase. Probably a waste of my time by doing it this way, I just like walking the halls of its sanctum.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Moët is on sale for about 33% off the normal Costco price in Seattle. It takes the price down far enough that I can buy two bottles for the price some restaurants charge for a glass.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Argyle posted:

Kirkland Canadian Whisky

Tell me more about this please.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Moey posted:

Tell me more about this please.

It's basically 1.75 litres of Crown Royal that probably failed QA so they sell it for less than $20.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

EAB posted:

You guys ever buy stuff on Costco's website and get it shipped to you?

I do. I don't live near a 'Co and it's easier to get a couple of things vs. the 3.5 hour drive to the nearest church. Been having allergy probs and just got the Kirkland Zyrtec equivelent and 5 bottles of Kirkland Flonase for what one bottle goes for locally. I also order stuff from Costco on Google Express from time to time. GE charges the tax of the area they ship from (my stuff has been shipped from the Bay Area, CA, and they always charge me 10% sales tax) but you can ususally find a coupon, sometimes up to 25% off for GE.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

FilthyImp posted:

Yo here's a cheap and greasy treat to make for your next Cotrip. The package of meat goes for about $25. Don't use pork loin in the tube because it ain't fatty enough and won't shred nicely.

1 package Pork Country Ribs (no bone), some fat trimmed if you want to be healthy
1 container salsa of your choice (guacsalsa is the best, but Herdez green is good and available at some Cos)

Cut pork into chunks and place in a large pot/cast iron dutch oven. Salt very lightly and fill with water until meat is just covered.
Cook until water is boiling, then cover with lid, lower temperature and simmer for 2 hours.
Remove lid and raise temperature to medium to allow water to cook off. Continue cooking at reduced temperature to allow meat to brown/crisp.

Once it reaches desired state, dump container of salsa into meat and stir.

Serve with tortillas or chips, garnish with some lime or cilantro if you're a terrible person.

I do something similar when I want a New Mexican style green chile stew and dont want to do all the prep. I cook the meat in chicken stock vs. water and season it with cumin and garlic. Then I add the Herdez green, a can or two of green chiles, and give it another 30 mins or so. It's ain't Abuela's, but its not hours of prep and cooking either.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

You gotta have two for the bed (one to use, one to rotate) then you gotta have the throw for the couch, so do it 😊

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'll probs get 3 more sherps, 2 king (one for the couch, one for when the babies take up my side of the bed and I sleep on the floor) & one more queen for the guest bed.

Though living in L.A. makes me wonder if they'll get any use.