Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

It feels like half the scenes end with an unseen character popping in to give a lame joke and then vanishing forever. It's really obnoxious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

drunkill posted:

Zogs writing is pretty bad, flipping between foolhardy king and then the long pause/awkward moment jokes like family guy or adventure time.

I feel like luci is the worst for consistancy, where they writers can't decide if he's a bad influence/demon on her shoulder encouraging her or if he's an active malicious element that does stuff like secretly spiking her drink.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel like luci is the worst for consistancy, where they writers can't decide if he's a bad influence/demon on her shoulder encouraging her or if he's an active malicious element that does stuff like secretly spiking her drink.

Bender.txt

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Hakkesshu posted:

Bender.txt

Definitely to some degree.

Bender did feel like they had way more defined character though, luci seems to change scene to scene on if they are a helpful but evil friend, a bad influence that gives bad advice or an active antagonist trying to hurt them and they don't really have any real character traits or motivations beyond just their species.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
everything about this show feels boring and lazy

all the jokes are obvious, all the dialogue sounds like I'm watching futurama re-runs (which doesnt help with all the re-used voice actors)

in motion this looks really boring though. Especially if you compare it to something like Final Space

gently caress this show

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I really liked it overall. I'm really impressed with Abby Jacobson, a lot of the time screen actors and comedians sound flat as voice actors but she nailed it.

Also, mad props (finale spoiler) that it looks like they might have committed to killing Elfo? I won't be too shocked if the next part has a whole "revive Elfo" plot but at least for the final, they made it feel somewhat permanent.

I'm here for this good show.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
so I finished the pilot and gave another episode a chance because I heard the pilot was bad

this show is aggressively medicore

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Wow, this is pretty loving lovely. Wasted my time with two and a half episodes, no thanks.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I really liked it and I think you guys are a little bit too hard on the humor. Some of it falls flat but I was laughing. Also the voice actors were pretty good even though it was a bit jarring with how they edited the lines together.

I get the complaints that it was low budget and cheap looking though. Also Elfo totally sucked and continues to suck so the storyline didn't quite work. What a lovely loving character. Ugh.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Whalley posted:

Also, mad props (finale spoiler) that it looks like they might have committed to killing Elfo? I won't be too shocked if the next part has a whole "revive Elfo" plot but at least for the final, they made it feel somewhat permanent.

Someone didn't watch the credits.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I made it through 3 episodes

It’s almost as if they took some of the writers of The Simpsons 2018 and gave them this show too. No laughs to be had, and just like The Simpsons, it feels like they’re almost begging/prodding you to think it’s funny instead of actually being good comedy.

Insanely mediocre and scene-y, just like The Simpsons currently is!

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
"Ah! No! It burns! It burns with boredom!"

-a quote from this show, and also an accurate description thereof

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Flatscan posted:

To be fair, Netflix shows you the end screen to rate the show and watch something else as soon as the credits pop up, so it's not surprising people missed that scene

I'm not even super gung-ho about the show but the art direction and the animation are some of the best parts from it? Is it because of the gray-ish, subdued pastel color palette Rough Draft came up with? Because that's honestly on point for a show set in the Medieval ages, and it makes the more colorful parts like Elfo's world stand out more.

I'll probably watch the next batch but they really need to work on the pacing, it ruined a lot of the scenes particularly during the pilot. Also I'm one of the few people who liked the theme song alright, but honestly expected much better from the opening sequence. I wasn't expecting overwrought couch gags or anything of the sort, but there isn't much to it to make it memorable and it doesn't really capture the spirit of the show the same way Futurama's or Simpsons' do.

Ignis fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 18, 2018

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Flatscan posted:

it was me who didn't because no other episode had led me to think I should, oops

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Pick posted:

Really? They're nuts, the animation and style are really profoundly good.

I think there's some poorly integrated 3D (notably the purple goo wave in episode 10, but part of the reason it stands out is because there's some pretty decent hand drawn wave gunk coming through the door that just makes the comparison more notable.

I think it's fairly clever that they ended up using the 3D to their advantage too -- the words inside the magic crystal look more ethereal and floaty for being CG.

And there are other scenes, like the elf village introductory set-piece in episode 1, which looks really good.

The look of the thing isn't remotely the problem. The jokes aren't even that bad (they're not great, but it's not Final bloody Space either). It's the pacing and plotting that's crappy.

(I'm also not a fan of the faux-Japanese culture that ends up being more obsessed with bowing than capturing escaping criminals, since I feel like that's a bit that classic wacky foreigner racial humour. But it was also one of the show's best jokes, so I remain conflicted.)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
It feels weird how often this uses “someone drinks alcohol” as an entire joke.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

Aw man, people don't like the theme music? Well that won't stop me from enjoying it, I waited to start the next episode most times to hear the music at the end I loved it. :colbert:

I had lots of fun watching the show too I'm looking forward to having to struggle to remember everything when the next part suddenly starts in the middle of a story. I'm refreshed by the guys and girls making the show to connect the events of each episode together, even a bit more than Futurama did. It's finally like the people that made the Simpsons are ready to move to something else instead of the monotony and the repetition of Simpsons forever.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I liked this. Want to see more.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Having seen all 10 episodes... well, I didn't hate it... and it had some funny moments (but not much of the surprising or laugh out loud sort)... and feels like there's potential... but so far, mostly, it's just rather bland.

Episodes 9 and 10 shake things up a bit and I'm curious to see if they run with that or if they end up pushing the reset button within the first episode or two of second season, returning to more of the same. If the former, and they can improve the writing a bit, maybe there's hope for something decent.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I really enjoyed this and don't get what some people's problem is. :shrug:

Some people's gripes aren't entirely unfounded (some bad cgi animation, pacing issues, inconsistent characterization) but overall I found it incredibly watchable. Plus, Groening productions are always a bit rough around the edges at first so I'm pretty confident that a lot of these issues will get ironed out over time. Looking forward to the next ten episodes in like two years!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think it's pretty telling that any kind of storytelling that requires more than like 5 minutes of investment now is deep verboten. Like the reason that tv doesn't exist the way you guys say you want it to exist, is when it does exist you don't like it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

readingatwork posted:

Some people's gripes aren't entirely unfounded (some bad cgi animation, pacing issues, inconsistent characterization) but overall I found it incredibly watchable. Plus, Groening productions are always a bit rough around the edges at first so I'm pretty confident that a lot of these issues will get ironed out over time. Looking forward to the next ten episodes in like two years!

I agree with this assessment.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

I think it's pretty telling that any kind of storytelling that requires more than like 5 minutes of investment now is deep verboten. Like the reason that tv doesn't exist the way you guys say you want it to exist, is when it does exist you don't like it.

Huh?

I actually kinda like Disenchantment, and it's accurate to note that it's more narratively-focused than Futurama was, but like... a lot of popular modern television storytelling "requires more than 5 minutes of investment"? It's one of prestige TV's core elements.

Shows like Westworld and Game of Thrones are huge and they'd be utterly incomprehensible if you jumped in midseason or just weren't paying attention (which you can see in action by reading the threads for these kinds of shows when they're airing, because sometimes goons will be perfect examples of people who are confused because they aren't paying attention). I'm not even registering a value judgment on whether these shows are better for that or not, I just don't understand what you're trying to say.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's not really all that funny but it's interesting enough to watch.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Spoiler about the later episodes:
I didn't really like how needlessly dramatic the scene with Elfo and his father was. So he's some kind of half-bred and they were conveniently interrupted when he was about to learn his mothers race. But honestly, is that really important? What difference does it make if she's a goblin, a kobold, or a xuruzmiglombek? Unless they're setting up a lame reveal, where her race regenerates after a few days of complete stasis...

VVV Sorry about that.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 18, 2018

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

The show came out YESTERDAY, can you use spoiler tags?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I just finished it and liked it a lot. I think the show built on its premise exceedingly well and it ended up with very well-defined characters and an underlying plot that was far more interesting than I had expected based on the initial episodes that were more in the "wow this world is so wacky" vein.

-Zog is loving hysterical, that guy had very few scenes where he didn't make me laugh, and I ended up really liking him as a character too at the end.

-There were definite misses - the viking episode was largely not very good until the end (the Zog scene near the end was one of the funnier ones in the whole season) - Chazz is a suck rear end character.

-I really, really liked the episode where they went to the lost city - felt like the strongest execution on the concept so far. Also while I wouldn't say the opening theme is particularly thrilling (I enjoyed the various leitmotifs more than the title song), the actual intro is really well-done with the title cards depicting events of the episode.

-Luci needs work overall - I like the character and I think he adds a lot to the show, but he definitely got the fewest laughs. I really liked the few times where you get a glimpse of his, er, true nature.

I have to say I can definitely understand the beginning rubbing people the wrong way, but I'm very surprised at the number of people who are like outright "gently caress this show". Although it's not laugh out loud funny from the get go, the sheer creativity and quality of performances is enough to elevate the earlier episodes IMO.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Just finished the ten episodes.

Great fun! Really enjoyed King Zog and Luci, although that one bit where Luci spiked Bean's drink felt a little over the line for his character. I really liked how dark the humor got in places, and some of those backgrounds were gorgeous.

They really did not hold back on those sequel hooks, now did they?
Guessing now: Guy who shot Elfo is gonna turn out to be the guard with the eyepatch. Having the counsellor be evil seems too cliche at this point, and the guard was coming on to Bean several times. He probably wanted him out of the way... cause honestly, absolutely everyone knew what Elfo was all about.

Fun show.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Pick posted:

Really? They're nuts, the animation and style are really profoundly good.

It looks kinda overproduced. Like the backgrounds and stuff don’t fit the simple chinless character designs

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Pick posted:

I just wanted it to be funny. It isn't.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This was a good binge. Overall I really liked it. I wasn't sure what to expect, and there's something uneasy about seeing the Groening style in a brand new setting which I vividly remember feeling when I first caught when they aired the Futurama pilot.

I really only have two complaints:

- The first episode seemed to introduce everything at a breakneck speed and felt all over the place, which I can't really fault them for because they're literally trying to set up the premise quickly. It didn't really seem to flow naturally, but that may have just been me.
- The writers seemed to run out of ideas on how to use Luci's role as "personal demon" really quickly, and he's just been reverted to "magical sidekick #74". Maybe that's not true and I'm missing a bunch of examples which prove the opposite, but that's the vibe I feel. I don't actually care since it's still a fun show and I'm not going to nitpick it to death as long as I'm enjoying it.

I really like the series arc idea, but I'll tell you what -- my favourite episode was probably Elfo trapped in his web of lies about his fake girlfriend, which felt like a really standalone episode. I hope they throw more of these one-off non-story-advancing episodes in more often.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 19, 2018

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Bean sorta looks like a futurama character while the king looks like an adventure time character while Bunty looks like a character from a completely different show and kids look like Simpsons characters, it’s all over the place

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
this show was really bad

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I feel like the cast is fairly small but I can barely remember anyone’s name outside the main 3 and king zog (and chaz) if you gave me a million dollars I couldn’t even tell you the first letter of the brother or the three eyed guys name.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Made it to the end of part 1, and yeah, I'm in for the long haul. Things definitely come together on the back end, and I'm intrigued to see where they take the next...um...batch?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I think I laughed once during episode 4 and it was literally a recycled Simpsons joke.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Pick posted:

It's super different than Groening's other stuff
It looks like Futurama. It sounds like Futurama. It feels like Futurama. It's just not funny like Futurama.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

All the characters are like this. None of them are consistently defined.

Martytoof posted:

The writers seemed to run out of ideas on how to use Luci's role as "personal demon" really quickly, and he's just been reverted to "magical sidekick #74". Maybe that's not true and I'm missing a bunch of examples which prove the opposite, but that's the vibe I feel.
It seems like they couldn't decide whether the joke should be that he's trying to be a bad influence but Bean was already going to do everything he suggests anyway, or if he's actually supposed to be making her do worse things.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Tiggum posted:

It looks like Futurama. It sounds like Futurama. It feels like Futurama. It's just not funny like Futurama.

It seems like they couldn't decide whether the joke should be that he's trying to be a bad influence but Bean was already going to do everything he suggests anyway, or if he's actually supposed to be making her do worse things.

They could've done a thing where yeah Luci finds himself listless and bored or shocked because literally Bean makes the worst decisions with no input needed
Also is it just me or does Luci sound entirely too much like Lucky Yates/Krieger

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Tiggum posted:

I agree with that, elfo episode to episode totally lost and gained innocence totally at random in a way that made the whole dating subplot feel gross because he so often acted like a child (and obviously looks like a child).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

readingatwork posted:

Yeah. I just finished the season, and while it's not perfect, it's still a very good show. My biggest issue is the pacing, it seems to be pretty inconsistent at times, but, I suspect that they'll be able to iron that out as the show goes on. It kinda seems like they're not quite used to the lack of restrictions that a Netflix show has. Overall though, it has a lot of solid pieces, they just need to work out putting them together a bit better.

Of course, neither Futurama or The Simpsons really hit their stride until about 2-3 seasons in either, so I look forwards to seeing more of this.

• Locked thread