Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The only mag I really, really liked was Lucky Peach. :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
I have like a billion tomatoes and not a whole lot of plans for them. I like them best raw, so what can I do aside from tacos, BLTs, caprese salad and just slicing them up with a little salt?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I’m going to Germany on Monday: is there anything I absolutely must eat?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I never, ever fry stuff, but was hit with an urge to make homemade tortilla chips and now I have like $10 worth of corn and peanut oil in a big pot. What's the best way to store the used oil? Strain it, and put it back in the plastic containers?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I have like a billion tomatoes and not a whole lot of plans for them. I like them best raw, so what can I do aside from tacos, BLTs, caprese salad and just slicing them up with a little salt?

This tomato pie is amazing and, unlike most tomato pies/tarts/cobblers, has fresh tomatoes included as well which should suit your tastes.

Falafel-spiced tomatoes are a nice twist on tomato on toast

I liked this fresh corn grits with oil-poached tomatoes but my wife didn't. Probably because I'm obsessed with corn.

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

I never, ever fry stuff, but was hit with an urge to make homemade tortilla chips and now I have like $10 worth of corn and peanut oil in a big pot. What's the best way to store the used oil? Strain it, and put it back in the plastic containers?

Strain using a paper towel or unfolded napkin (so as to be single layer) in a funnel into the plastic container. I find that coffee filters take way too long for me, and I can get 8+ uses out of oil this way so long as I'm not frying intensely flavored things like fish, onions, or eggplant (bitters the oil)

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Casu Marzu posted:

:same:

Regarding cooks country, I actually like that most of any of the other dreck they shovel out because at least that’s like regional specialties and honest home-cooking as opposed to half-baked white people takes on assorted other poo poo.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Scientastic posted:

Depends on where you go.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Do the gelatin thing

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Depends on where you go.

We’re going to be based in Spreewald (so pickles, obviously) and going to Berlin for a couple of days (so currywurst, again pretty clearly), Dresden and Leipzig.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Scientastic posted:

We’re going to be based in Spreewald (so pickles, obviously) and going to Berlin for a couple of days (so currywurst, again pretty clearly), Dresden and Leipzig.

Leipzig is pretty old school German: think heavy food and lots of it. Lot of counter culture/trendy vegan places too, though. If you're ever going to have schweinshaxe, this will be the place to do it. Still might be hot, though, so if I were you I'd just find a cool beer garden to hang out in all afternoon and get mildly dazed.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mr. Wiggles posted:

find a cool beer garden to hang out in all afternoon and get mildly dazed.

I suspect my children would ruin the vibe

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Scientastic posted:

In Berlin get a Döner in Kreuzberg. They invented the Döner sandwich. I'm serious Kreuzberg has the best döner outside of Turkey.

Biergarten zum Schießhaus in Dresden has one of the best schnitzels I've had in all of Germany. Get it with bratkartoffeln instead of chips/fries. There's also a cool brewery called Watzke but the staff were less friendly iirc.

Leipzig and Dresden are very comparable in their cuisine, being both in Saxony. So they both have the classic German dishes with lots of pork, mashed potato, sauerkraut and red cabbage. Leipzig has a cool brewery at Bayerischer Bahnhof (way cooler than Watzke) that makes a great Gose.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I will try this next time (if there’s a next time)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Scientastic posted:

I suspect my children would ruin the vibe

Oh ok no problem! Go to Milchbar Pinguin then! Very awesome ice cream.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
My fermenting jar and airlock arrived today.

I transferred the peppers and brine from the rubbermaid container into the jar, and I'm noticing the brine is cloudier than it looked before.

I'm not sure if thats because everything got stirred up while transferring, or if the batch is bad. I only started it on... Friday?

This is what it looks like:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
In the beans and rice dinner boxes, do they partially cook the beans beforehand or is it possible to cook raw beans with rice and have both of them be done at the same time?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Jewel Repetition posted:

is it possible to cook raw beans with rice and have both of them be done at the same time?

Nope

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Looks normal to me. The brine will get tinted by the peppers.

edit; here's mine after 30 days, maybe, I forgot to date the jar.

wormil fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 20, 2018

cereal eater
Aug 25, 2008

I'd save these, if I wanted too

ps i dont deserve my 'king' nickname
Anyone have a good loco moco recipe? I feel like this is one of those dishes I should get someone’s personal recipe rather than Guy Fieries

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
thank you Casu, SubG, and of course wormil!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

cereal eater posted:

Anyone have a good loco moco recipe? I feel like this is one of those dishes I should get someone’s personal recipe rather than Guy Fieries

2 scoops short grain rice, cooked
1 hamburger patty cooked
1 fried egg, sunny side up
1 smother of industrial brown gravy (the kind that comes as a powder and you mix with water and warm up)

Put on the plate in that order. Voilà, a loco moco.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah. For the first time ever, Guy Fieri's recipe is actually fancier than the original (he adds mushrooms).

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

2 scoops short grain rice, cooked
1 hamburger patty cooked
1 fried egg, sunny side up
1 smother of industrial brown gravy (the kind that comes as a powder and you mix with water and warm up)

Put on the plate in that order. Voilà, a loco moco.

Don't forget the side of insanely mayo-y mac salad.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Scientastic posted:

Good luck eating it all: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schweinshaxe

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOoJion8fTy0RxAxkECBqWierdh1bISmWd3QbRa

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Casu Marzu posted:

Don't forget the side of insanely mayo-y mac salad.

It says "salad" right in the name, and is thus the healthy part of a plate lunch.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the midwest was a mistake.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Classic midwestern dish Loco Moco

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Hawaii is the only place outside of a roughly 300 mile radius from St Louis where you can get a pork steak though, so maybe theyre on to something.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bluedeanie posted:

Hawaii is the only place outside of a roughly 300 mile radius from St Louis where you can get a pork steak though, so maybe theyre on to something.

Pork steak?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

Pork steak?

Pork steak.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

*In Dave Arnold New York voice*

"So get dis - it's like a steak, but made of pork."

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

You mean these fatty delicious things?

I didn't realize they were not a universal food.

I'm in Michigan (560 miles from St. Louis) and they're very common. Salt+pepper and fry em up all day long.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I'm glad to know their influence is spreading to the outskirts of the Midwest. Frying them is unique, around these parts they're cooked low and slow, either simmered or basted frequently in bbq sauce (basting is my preferred technique.)

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Bluedeanie posted:

I'm glad to know their influence is spreading to the outskirts of the Midwest. Frying them is unique, around these parts they're cooked low and slow, either simmered or basted frequently in bbq sauce (basting is my preferred technique.)

I've seen an bought those across the east coast though? I've seen them in butcher shops just off the top of my head in Miami, Tampa, Durham, Atlanta, Philly, Boston and Portland (Maine).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bluedeanie posted:

My grandma always fried em so I like them that way. Greasy rear end fuckers.

But my favorite is a good BBQ spice rub. They're good with BBQ sauce, too. Or simmer with tomato sauce and peppers and onion and make a fajita type thing.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Sextro posted:

I've seen an bought those across the east coast though? I've seen them in butcher shops just off the top of my head in Miami, Tampa, Durham, Atlanta, Philly, Boston and Portland (Maine).

But do you have toasted ravioli? :smugbert:

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Casu Marzu posted:

Same. Although I got a subscription to Culture (cheese mag) as a gift and liked it so much I resubscribed, it's now the only magazine I get to my house.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Bluedeanie posted:

But do you have toasted ravioli? :smugbert:

In Philly and Boston at a minimum.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Anyone have suggestions for black trumpets? I've been looking for these for years and finally found some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Bob Morales posted:

You mean these fatty delicious things?

I didn't realize they were not a universal food.

I'm in Michigan (560 miles from St. Louis) and they're very common. Salt+pepper and fry em up all day long.

Note: they don't actually need to be fried all day long, a couple of minutes a side does fine