Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
posts go here

Thread Rules:
1) Don't be an rear end in a top hat
2) No abortion chat.

Grand Fromage posted:

So this thread generates the vast majority of the reports in A/T and I've been thinking about how to handle it. I was inclined to gas and ban the thread entirely but have changed my mind.

I will not be punishing anyone prior to this post, but from this point forward, the following is in effect:

This thread is for talking about people's faith and asking questions. It is NOT a thread for debating religion or attacking the faith of others.

I am making this blanket because I'm not defending or supporting anyone's positions. My own biases are that religion is dumb and y'all are nuts, but it's none of my business. Anyone kramering in here with attacks on the religious or debating the crimes of the Church or debating will be probated at my discretion. Attacking people for their denomination, just being a general rear end in a top hat, whatever. Don't do it.

This is chill religion chat for chill bros. BYOB but the second B is Buddha. If you want to debate religion, D&D is over there, feel free.

mod edit: We're currently talking about the directoin for this thread. I'm using the space below as a holding pen for good ideas. If you think I've missed something bring it to my attention.

Fritz the Horse posted:

1) No abortion chat. Period.
2) Don't be a dick. Do post silly hats and vestment bling.
3) Lurk more. You're very welcome here no matter your religious beliefs (or lack thereof). Feel free to introduce yourself but if you want to post serious stuff, lurk and then approach with respect and an open mind.

Paladinus posted:

What I would add to OP is a reminder that people in the thread are mostly just ordinary lay people to set correct expectations.

Cythereal posted:

For me, this thread's fundamentally been two things: a place where I can learn about different ways people approach God and Christianity, especially when so many of them are so alien to my idea of what faith and religion are; and a place where I can talk about faith and spiritual matters without being judged by internet atheists. It's an odd little space on SA, but one I value immensely

Nessus posted:

I think the "this is a space where you can believe in a religion without irony or apology" factor is a real big thing here and might be a good thing to enshrine in a future OP. I don't know how to distill it exactly, but the idea is, people believe (in general) in this thread - YOU PERSONALLY don't have to, but you ought to accept that they do, and take them at their word without calling them idiots or fascism-enablers or anti-rationalists etc if you're going to post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
Pontius Pilate did nothing wrong.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

grüß gott mitanand

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

The Belgian posted:

This actually made me gasp out loud, from the very end of the prior thread. I attend a church that looks like it was built in the 1980s (because it was) and.... :sigh:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

System Metternich posted:

grüß gott mitanand

grüüüüüüüüüsli

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Post more hats. Or maybe cats.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

zonohedron posted:

This actually made me gasp out loud, from the very end of the prior thread. I attend a church that looks like it was built in the 1980s (because it was) and.... :sigh:

It's Aachen cathedral. I first visited it with history class when I was 12 and it's friggen sweet.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I can't dislike pretty churches even with the fact that I'm not a very visual person and usually prefer plainness.

There is a love for God and a desire to be inspired to beauty that just speaks to me in them.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

(also never put a collar on your domesticated weasel, this is a public service announcement)

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Slimy Hog posted:

Post more hats. Or maybe cats.

Okay, I did my part with a cat, someone needs to post a funny hat. (Like the one with the cross-topped crown where the cross folds down, or... really, any liturgically-enhanced head-item)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Hmm, I don't like brutalism, but I *do* like places that look like the settings for a post-apocalypse fable. So conflicted!

My best friend works at Senate House, which was the Ministry of Truth in the 1984 '1984' movie. It's both hideous and wonderful. Here's a picture of it creeping up on Russell Square.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

protestants, you had a good run. now it's time to consecrate yourselves to the blessed virgin mary

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The Phlegmatist posted:

protestants, you had a good run. now it's time to consecrate yourselves to the blessed virgin mary

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Also:

One of the more elaborate Mennonite sanctuaries I've seen. (Kidron Mennonite Church in Kidron, Ohio.)

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

I am willing to give you our church buildings if you bring your a cappella singers. this is the new ecumenicism

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Phlegmatist posted:

the father lookin like a drag king with a fake beard or a drag queen with a real beard there

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

zonohedron posted:

Okay, I did my part with a cat, someone needs to post a funny hat. (Like the one with the cross-topped crown where the cross folds down, or... really, any liturgically-enhanced head-item)

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
hegel

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
growing up church of christ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hCvEvMHHMU

converting to catholicism: everyone is confused about reading this thing called sheet music and the music director won't let me touch the allen organ

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
When I went to confession yesterday there was a uniformed police officer standing in the line. The church had a separate chapel for confessions, (no reserved Eucharist), but I hated that a firearm was in the church. But I have a thing about firearms in general, and I want everyone to receive sacramental forgiveness and reconciliation, so if that’s the only time he could bring himself to confess, that’s more important. Note this is would not be my opinion for civilians with firearms.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
no cops in churches imho

especially not majority latino or african american churches

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

https://i.imgur.com/FiWRow5.mp4

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
This is very tangential, but I'm at my cousin's wedding (she's the bride) and hoooooly poo poo her husband went over the top with the proposal.

So, they're Minnesotans, and almost everyone in MN has or shares a lake cabin, it's just a thing. Even if you're working class and of modest means, you and another family or two share a lake cabin somewhere out in the boonies and spend weekends in the summer and vacations there.

A couple summers ago he takes her to his family's lake cabin and out on the boat for a picnic. He's super into social media so he's streaming the whole thing (with her consent, he does this a lot). While they're eating, a drone comes buzzing in and lands on the boat. This guy and his friends are really into pranks and elaborate surprises, the drone belongs to his friend and he pretends it's a surprise. Oh what's this, the drone has a note attached that says "want to go on a scavenger hunt?" with some lat/long coordinates. She says okay sure I'll play along I wonder what goofy prank this could be. Her now-husband has his own drone on the boat (these are upper-middle class kids so they have a lot of fancy toys), she takes the remote and pilots the drone to the location on the note his friend air-dropped in.

While she's operating the remote controlled drone, he slips the ring into his pocket. When she gets the drone to the location... he and his friends had spent several hours a day for an entire week driving railroad stakes into wooden planks to spell out "WILL YOU MARRY ME CARRIE" on the bottom of the lake. When she sees that he breaks out the ring and proposes. They played the video at the wedding reception.

I was like, holy crap, that's the most elaborate and clever proposal I've ever heard. And of course he later went and cleaned up all the planks and stakes from the bottom of the lake and built their wedding arch, altar thingy, bed frame/headboard, and a bunch of other pieces from the wood and stakes.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

The Phlegmatist posted:

You just posted a visual depiction of the Father. That's anathema.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I think u mean haram

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

StashAugustine posted:

I think u mean haram

Or perhaps it is you who means shirk.

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...
Back from vespers, high on incense, low on gas.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

CountFosco posted:

as a former Calvinist who was raised in churches where second commandment violations are taken seriously, I'd have to erase everything there except Our Lady, Queen of the Universe.

fully marianized and lovin it

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
if u love it so much why don't u mary it

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Pellisworth posted:

if u love it so much why don't u mary it

I'm consecrating myself to Our Lady of Sorrows

which is Insanely Powerful. Protestants might have better music but they certainly don't have this.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

CountFosco posted:

If it was good enough for Michelangelo, it's good enough for me.

Or, for that, matter, good enough for Zurab Tsereteli

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 19, 2018

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

The Phlegmatist posted:

Is this a thing?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

You better be posting cattes every time you post something about calvinists. And modern churches.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
demiurge / architect joke

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Senju Kannon posted:

no cops in churches imho

especially not majority latino or african american churches
too bad lots of latinos are cops becuase it's a solid job for a working class man

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Is this a thing?

every Catholic thing that they can possibly make a thing, is a thing

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Phlegmatist posted:

which is Insanely Powerful. Protestants might have better music but they certainly don't have this.

become orthodox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Phlegmatist posted:

fully marianized and lovin it
marianated