Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It definitely lulls you into a false sense of security with how whimsical and ridiculous so much of its run is. Everyone being garbage people helps to keep it too obvious where Patty's going to end up, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm only halfway in and Insatiable is a Good Show.

The only real missteps are the Pilot, which is poorly produced and is aiming its comedy is a broader direction than the rest of the show tends to, and the occasional dips into afterschool special territory, most notably in the fifth episode (though the show's equally liable to subvert these moments, which I enjoy).

It's Crazy Ex-Girlfriend by the way of Ryan Murphy's sense of humour; it's thoughtfully plotted, pushes its character work in strong ways, is completely wackadoodle, but oddly respectful of all but its most outlandish cast members.

(And even then, I thought they were surprisingly tactful when dealing with Regina's situational(?) bisexuality. Casual, positive, and completely incidental but yet very obvious about it. For someone who's a ridiculous trampy monster, that was oddly humanising and speaks to a level of empathy the show's detractors would have to be completely blinkered to miss.)

Holy crap we need better TV critics.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 18, 2018

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is a trick, I'm sure of it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

This is a trick, I'm sure of it

Nope, it really is a very good show by the end of the season (actually, by about episode 3 it becomes that)

It will not get renewed because critics are idiots and Netflix listens to them more than they should.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The show really surprised me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
on a much less controversial note, I watched the first few eps of Sharp Objects last night and holy mother of god that is some good rear end loving television

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Is it legit good or are you mr hyperbole on this?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's Amy Adams on TV dude

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I think there are only two episodes left of Sharp Objects, but it is that drat good. Imagine a cross between Gone Girl (same author) and True Detective Season 1. It's going to make my top ten list for the year, without a doubt.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I think there are only two episodes left of Sharp Objects, but it is that drat good. Imagine a cross between Gone Girl (same author) and True Detective Season 1. It's going to make my top ten list for the year, without a doubt.

Little bit of Twin Peaks in there as well :discourse:

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Open Source Idiom posted:

The only real missteps are the Pilot, which is poorly produced and is aiming its comedy is a broader direction than the rest of the show tends to, and the occasional dips into afterschool special territory, most notably in the fifth episode (though the show's equally liable to subvert these moments, which I enjoy).

It's Crazy Ex-Girlfriend by the way of Ryan Murphy's sense of humour; it's thoughtfully plotted, pushes its character work in strong ways, is completely wackadoodle, but oddly respectful of all but its most outlandish cast members.

(And even then, I thought they were surprisingly tactful when dealing with Regina's situational(?) bisexuality. Casual, positive, and completely incidental but yet very obvious about it. For someone who's a ridiculous trampy monster, that was oddly humanising and speaks to a level of empathy the show's detractors would have to be completely blinkered to miss.)

It's pretty amazing how big the disconnect is between viewers and critics on it too. Rotten Tomatoes has it at 11 percent with critics and 84 percent with audiences. I think critics saw the trailer (which admittedly, was pretty awful) and decided it was awful before they even watched it.

precision posted:

Nope, it really is a very good show by the end of the season (actually, by about episode 3 it becomes that)

It will not get renewed because critics are idiots and Netflix listens to them more than they should.

Nah, if people are watching it (which it seems like they are), they will keep it going.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mu Zeta posted:

It's Amy Adams on TV dude

Sharp Objects is phenomenal. Jean-Marc Vallee directs every episode and he adapts books w heavy inner monologue in the most amazing way-- he really puts you in the head of a character like no other.

Also I wouldn't count a second season of Insatiable out juuust yet, if only b/c the controversy may just get more eyes on it than it would have before-- lot of people seem to have tuned in because of the bad reviews making 'em curious.

It's a drat good show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

Sharp Objects is phenomenal. Jean-Marc Vallee directs every episode and he adapts books w heavy inner monologue in the most amazing way-- he really puts you in the head of a character like no other.

This is something I wanted to touch on. It's so hard to adapt some books to shows (I've not read Sharp Objects mind) but the way the show is not afraid to just have "hallucinations" (for lack of a better term?) in frame, as if you're watching a dream that's constantly shifting, is soooooooooooooo good and really makes you feel like you're watching the world through her eyes and not as an objective omniscient third-party.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Literally a few seconds after watching the Meet Your Second Wife sketch, I looked up and the Xfinity screensaver headline informs me that the 46 year old Ben Affleck is dating some 22 year old model.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

This is something I wanted to touch on. It's so hard to adapt some books to shows (I've not read Sharp Objects mind) but the way the show is not afraid to just have "hallucinations" (for lack of a better term?) in frame, as if you're watching a dream that's constantly shifting, is soooooooooooooo good and really makes you feel like you're watching the world through her eyes and not as an objective omniscient third-party.

Watch Big Little Lies also if you haven't. His direction is like the fuckin high standard for adapting books now imo, esp hardboiled/mystery poo poo.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Literally a few seconds after watching the Meet Your Second Wife sketch, I looked up and the Xfinity screensaver headline informs me that the 46 year old Ben Affleck is dating some 22 year old model.

Living the dream.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

EL BROMANCE posted:

Honestly that's not even a weird age gap is it? Why do people get so obsessed with that stuff?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

Honestly that's not even a weird age gap is it? Why do people get so obsessed with that stuff?

Even with the stupid (age/2)+7 bro “rule” she’s still too young for him.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

asecondduck posted:

Even with the stupid (age/2)+7 bro “rule” she’s still too young for him.

precision posted:

Why do people get so obsessed with that stuff?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Its just yet another reflection of how our society prefers women to stay girls.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Man Trial & Error is so loving underrated. I'm glad that Detroiters is finally getting the attention it deserves on Twitter. Now move on to T&E! This show is way too good to just fade away into obscurity.

Popelmon fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 19, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

Its just yet another reflection of how our society prefers women to stay girls.

There are so many things that go into whether a relationship will be good or bad and trying to reduce it to "well that age gap just won't work!" is some weird rear end poo poo imo

precision fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 19, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Probably because Ben Affleck is just looking for a piece of rear end, not that I blame him.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jeez, did Ben Affleck already dump the SNL producer that he said he wanted to marry like a month after they started dating?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I thought he was dating his sober life coach or something lmao

w/e gently caress him, who is dumb enough to be a drunk cheater instead of enjoying ur kawaii family with jennifer garner??? smgdh

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

esperterra posted:

I thought he was dating his sober life coach or something lmao

Like a year ago, he got out of yet another 28-day rehab stint and started dating a producer of SNL, and a month, maybe two, later he was saying he wanted to marry her. Around the same time he was seen buying several gallons of booze from a grocery store.

Apparently even his close friends like Damon and Garner and Kevin Smith have stopped trying to get him back into rehab because he just has no desire to quit drinking.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

If he doesn't want to stop, can't force him I guess. I just hate hearing about alcoholics who have small children, that poo poo sucks growing up esp when it leads to divorce.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Just caught up with Condor and loved the finale. Great way to tie up a season story but also leave enough for a second season, which luckily has already been confirmed.

The woman playing Joubert is awesome in this show by the way, never seen her in anything else before but she plays the stone cold assassin role very well.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Just watched the pilot for Cloak and Dagger last night and very surprised by how good it was. I mean, not prestige TV but definitely a lot more than I was expecting for a Freeform show about teenage romance superheroes.

Like just the first scene had me feeling something, but that might be because I'm scared of drowning.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

STAC Goat posted:

Just watched the pilot for Cloak and Dagger last night and very surprised by how good it was. I mean, not prestige TV but definitely a lot more than I was expecting for a Freeform show about teenage romance superheroes.

Like just the first scene had me feeling something, but that might be because I'm scared of drowning.
edit: my bad i thought you'd watched it all

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

Probably because Ben Affleck is just looking for a piece of rear end, not that I blame him.

Let's be fair to her, he is a good looking man.

And a giant piece of poo poo but, you know, he is a piece himself.

So I'm up to episode 5 of Magic For Humans and it's great but it's not Penn and Teller style tricks where they're really, no kidding not pulling any Copperfield/Criss Angel type poo poo.

For example, one trick he throws a girl's cel phone into a lake and then reels in a glass bottle with her phone in it. Assuming the trick is done honestly, the only and very easy way this happens is that he simply has someone in scuba gear under there who puts the phone in and ties it to the rope, keeping the original glass bottle.

I'm not saying one way is better than the other because like I said it's a really good show but I prefer the "totally honest" tricks where it's just insanely good sleight of hand or misdirection. (And to be fair he does do some of that too)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

STAC Goat posted:

Reflecting upon the season I actually put it near the top of comic adaptations. The storyline is solid and the changes were logical. I really liked Olivia Holt's cover of Come Sail Away at the end as well.

Mr_Moose
May 4, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

I just binged it and thought it was hilarious, like a Cohen Bros-esque take on Mean Girls.

Don't read this spoiler if you haven't watched yet:
Episode 8's huge reveal with suprise Bob on Bob action was hilarious with all the homoerotic undertones their relationship had that usually gets totally "played straight" but instead suddenly they're Bobbing.

I googled the show after watching it seriously critics are totally over reacting, you think they haven't been watching any Netflix tv shows recently with how upset they are about the dark humor.
The main character totally is portrayed as a selfish, emotionally unhinged teenager with an irrational temper. Her aspiration is to be a beauty queen of all things, we're not supposed to think she's all that great so I don't know why so many people are faux-outraged about her haha.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I watched a bit more, and it's just not funny. It's boring.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Reminder: critics are individual people

Reminder: critics don’t just say “ITS GOOD/BAD” but actually write detailed reasoning for why they feel the way they do, which you can read instead of just making assumptions and pithy comments like “they just decided to not like it based on the trailer!”

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's usually "critics hate it, fans love it" but does it often go the other way?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's usually "critics hate it, fans love it" but does it often go the other way?

The Last Jedi

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
nah most non-ridicuous fans love last jedi too

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Escobarbarian posted:

nah most non-ridicuous fans love last jedi too

It's not the best SW film (not even top 5) but what it did to STAR WARS IS FOR BOYS fandom was incredible. By making Rey a literal garbage person (as she was sold/thrown away by her family) and then the most special Jedi adept ever set off some amazing internet rage meltdowns and I loved watching that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

It's not the best SW film (not even top 5) but what it did to STAR WARS IS FOR BOYS fandom was incredible. By making Rey a literal garbage person (as she was sold/thrown away by her family) and then the most special Jedi adept ever set off some amazing internet rage meltdowns and I loved watching that.