Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Matt Crouch with an AFL record number of handballs with 35.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Chairchucker posted:

OK so the Crows only need to beat Carlton by about 500, and have Geelong lose to the Suns at home.
And Essendon have to beat Port but by less than ~400 points. And Saints beat North.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
We limped in last week after the siren and are missing a bunch of key players now, but thats a huge win for the dees on the road to get finals action so good job to them. Rare to see a Victorian team that are willing and can play outside Victoria lol

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I think perhaps the biggest disappointment of the day is that, by keeping Ben Brown goalless, we just about handed the Coleman to Flops Riewoldt

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

NTRabbit posted:

I think perhaps the biggest disappointment of the day is that, by keeping Ben Brown goalless, we just about handed the Coleman to Flops Riewoldt

Geelong are playing Gold coast so Hawkins might still be in with a chance

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

strap on revenge posted:

Geelong are playing Gold coast so Hawkins might still be in with a chance

Is this supposed to cheer him up??

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

realbez posted:

Is this supposed to cheer him up??

:negative:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
even if you don't like him surely it's better than Riewoldt or buddy

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

NTRabbit posted:

BigFooty is your more type of forum I think mate

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

strap on revenge posted:

even if you don't like him surely it's better than Riewoldt or buddy

I’d take a thousand year buddy Reich over a single Hawkins win tbh

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Solemn Sloth posted:

:same:

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Hawkins has got this real Madame Tussaud’s vibe that weirds me out.

Buddy rips games open off the back of 20 minutes at training.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Hawkins has the most vacant looking face I've seen outside of a wax model, so that's probably where you get the vibe from

Solemn Sloth posted:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

dayne zorko seems like one of the biggest dickheads

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Turns out I was wrong, football is good

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Shmoses posted:

BigFooty is your more type of forum I think mate

:qq:

Buddy every time for me, he's actually entertaining to watch as opposed to Riedwoldt whining to the ump or Hawkins punching dudes out of the contest

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Putting aside club allegiances, Buddy is by far the player I most want to watch from my entire time with football.

I caught the tail end of Ablett Senior, and most of Carey, but I’d take Buddy over either of them hands down.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

https://youtu.be/KFNjkjOdJ68

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Putting aside club allegiances, Buddy is by far the player I most want to watch from my entire time with football.

I caught the tail end of Ablett Senior, and most of Carey, but I’d take Buddy over either of them hands down.

Never been a fan of the boof forwards, give me a Bartlett, Rioli or Betts every time. Goalsneaks are my favourite part of the game.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

ewe2 posted:

Never been a fan of the boof forwards, give me a Bartlett, Rioli or Betts every time. Goalsneaks are my favourite part of the game.

Agreed. You know what you are getting with Buddy. A failed marking attempt, picking up the ball with pace, run onto his left and slots it from 50. Sure, it's great to see and difficult to do, but it's the same every time.

Doesn't compare to seeing EDDIEBETTS and wondering wtf is he doing and how the poo poo did he get out of that tackle, run past 3 different players and then kick it from an impossible angle with 4 bounces to the goal.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
As a kid, old Gablett was pretty magic and seeing Capper and Modra hang on dudes was tops. But to me, nothing beat that vintage Peter Matera poo poo, running full tilt tapping the ball to himself on the boundary wing and then roosting them home from 50.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Gaz Senior was a freak of nature. Someone of his size was able to move so quickly, shrug tackles from some of the best taggers of that time like it was nothing, and pretty much carry Geelong during the 1989 Grand Final was something I have not seen since. Sure he kicked goals, but he wasn't a forward for most of his career.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

If we are talking pure goalscorers, I always liked the metronomic way that Dunstall used to go about it.

Lead. Chest mark. Goal. Rinse and repeat.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Aaron Francis just got this weeks rising star nomination. I was starting to wonder if we'd ever see him play again let alone play a game like that. Hopefully with an injury free preseason and being in a better headspace than this time last year he'll show why he was rated so highly

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

There's no punching epidemic in football that the AFL should be stamping out instead of watering down with fines for just missing or not hitting hard enough, which is not in any way sending the wrong message

quote:

A FOOTBALLER may cost his side a spot in the finals after being reported four times from one game on Saturday, including for an incident that left an opponent with a broken jaw.

Salisbury West’s Adam Jones will front the Adelaide Footy League tribunal on Wednesday night on charges of striking, kicking and undue rough play in the club’s division seven qualifying final against Trinity Old Scholars at Salisbury Downs Oval.

Umpires did not report Jones on the day but Trinity later submitted footage of two of the alleged incidents to the league.

Trinity’s Carl Teusner finished the game with a broken jaw requiring surgery and one of his teammates was concussed during the match.

A league spokesman said the result of the match — a nine-point win to Salisbury West — would not be overturned.

But he said Salisbury West was already on notice with the league and could be suspended if any of its players were found guilty of an intentional act of striking, kicking or headbutting.

“The result of the match will not be reversed, however pending Wednesday night’s outcomes, may require the league to amend the composition of the division six and six reserves finals,” the spokesman said.

Salisbury West is under the same conditions with the league as fellow northern suburbs club Salisbury North, which has been kicked out of the competition after a player’s five-week intentional striking suspension.

Last month the league stripped Salisbury West of one premiership point after Tigers player Darrell McIntyre received a one-week striking ban.

Salisbury West is due to play Rosewater in the division seven second semi-final this Saturday.

Jones was named fifth-best for Salisbury West against Trinity.

quote:

A SALISBURY North footballer has received a 13-week ban for punching an opponent during a SANFL junior game.

The league’s tribunal last night found the 13-year-old Salisbury North player guilty of making “high contact” with a Hope Valley footballer during an under-14 division one north match at Salisbury North Oval on Sunday.

The Advertiser was told the game was called off and the 13-year-old victim was taken to Modbury Hospital.

He was cleared of any serious injuries.

Salisbury North was kicked out of the Adelaide Footy League’s senior competitions in June after a string of on-field indiscretions, including a five-game striking ban for Alex Stengle.

The SANFL did not hand out any penalties to Salisbury North.

“The welfare of the players involved is a priority and we are continuing to liaise with both clubs to offer support throughout the process,” the SANFL said in a statement.

“The SANFL has a strict code of conduct for each of its competitions, including juniors, which are fully supported and enforced by clubs”.

Salisbury North junior football director Kerry Coutlakis said the club accepted the penalty and would not appeal.

“We don’t condone any actions like that by any player,” Coutlakis said.

“The actions of one player doesn’t represent the club.

“We will stand by the games he got and will try to work with him to educate him to be better.”

The Salisbury North player can resume once he serves his ban.

The Adelaide Footy League kicks out players who are suspended for more than 12 games in total.

But the SANFL does not have a degeristration policy for players in its junior competitions below under-16.

Hope Valley president Darrel Van Der Haak said the club was “satisfied with the outcome and greatly appreciated the efforts of the SANFL junior association for their support”.

Van Der Haak said members were also “happy with the process undertaken”.

The victim’s parents did not want to comment.

The ban is not the largest the SANFL has handed out since taking over junior competitions in 2016.

That year, a Rosewater under-16 player was suspended for 22 weeks for kicking a 15-year-old Seaton opponent and for misconduct during a melee in a Metro West grand final.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Way to conform to suburb related stereotypes, Salisbury.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

You Am I posted:

Gaz Senior was a freak of nature. Someone of his size was able to move so quickly, shrug tackles from some of the best taggers of that time like it was nothing, and pretty much carry Geelong during the 1989 Grand Final was something I have not seen since. Sure he kicked goals, but he wasn't a forward for most of his career.

Yeah Gaz Sr is the reason I follow Geelong. The stuff he could do was mesmerising to me. He still doesn’t make physical sense to me, he was like a springy bull.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Buddy is gonna miss the game against Hawthorn with a groin injury, everything is falling into place for Jack as easily as he falls over looking for frees

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Chris Scott got a 4 year contract extension.

I think that may be a bit excessive given the team they have and how they've performed this year - they should be much higher than 8th imo.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

NTRabbit posted:

There's no punching epidemic in football that the AFL should be stamping out instead of watering down with fines for just missing or not hitting hard enough, which is not in any way sending the wrong message

What good does banning a club do? Won’t all the nuffies just go and play for Davoren Park or something instead?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Not linking because it's from the Sun:

quote:

THE AFL has consulted TV presenter Waleed Aly as part of its investigation of the state of the game.

A host of Channel 10’s The Project, Aly joins the company of former football greats and commentators on the game who have been sounded out about potential new rules.

Those to have met league footy boss Steve Hocking and his team about the proposed changes include broadcaster Gerard Whateley, Brownlow medallist Gerard Healy, former Herald Sun football writer Mike Sheahan and AFL legend Malcolm Blight.

I have a lot of faith that these geniuses will be able to find the solutions to the problems they invent.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Periphery posted:

Chris Scott got a 4 year contract extension.

I think that may be a bit excessive given the team they have and how they've performed this year - they should be much higher than 8th imo.

Technically it’s only a 3 year extension, his current contract runs until end of 2019. I agree though, I’m not sure it’s warranted and I don’t know that anyone was banging down the door trying to poach Chris Scott.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Reducing Aly down to just a tv host is pretty typical Scum, he's a fair bit more than that. The context of his consultation is not given saying that the reporting around this is just to poo poo stir and antagonise.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Quantum Shart posted:

Reducing Aly down to just a tv host is pretty typical Scum, he's a fair bit more than that. The context of his consultation is not given saying that the reporting around this is just to poo poo stir and antagonise.

Conversely, the AFLs main method of finding people to 'fix' the game seems to just hire celebrities and ex-players as if they are somehow experts or experienced in dealing with identifying problems and solving problems in complex systems.

Waleed is probably better placed than most of the others but it's hardly a selection process that fills me with confidence.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
You'd think that a few focus groups would tell the AFL more than a panel of boomer ex-player and media personalities would, but then that would presume that the AFL are interested in doing what the public wants, rather than what the AFL wants.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Pickering got pretty snippy on SEN this morning talking about the revamping of the TAC cup:
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/prominent-agent-craig-kelly-to-lead-afl-junior-football-revolution-20180817-p4zy1g.html

Craig Kelly is consulting on the revamp and a bunch of other player managers are pretty upset he's doing it, possibly getting a inside run on all the new talent coming through.

Interestingly it's going to be expanded to the whole east coast, NT and Tassie, with SA and WA left out at the moment.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Tom Lynch has reportedly chosen Richmond as his destination of choice. So the captain of the side finishing 17th will join the best team in the league. Free agency working as an equalisation measure as intended.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

racing identity posted:

Tom Lynch has reportedly chosen Richmond as his destination of choice. So the captain of the side finishing 17th will join the best team in the league. Free agency working as an equalisation measure as intended.

Boooooo

Edit: unironic

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

racing identity posted:

Free agency was never about equalisation it was about the players association getting the best deals for the big names

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Where is this report, though?