Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
After sleeping on it, I still really liked the main event and I'm fine with the ending, but yeah, keep Gargano and Ciampa away from each other for several months. They've tapped the limit (and then some) of the feud for now.

thefncrow posted:

I had the same thought. The last match should just be a singles match, but with a "title can change on DQ/countout" stipulation.

You don't even have to give Johnny the clarity to demand this up front. Have Johnny get a match somehow and instantly start clamoring for Hell in a Cell to Regal, and Regal reacts like "Hell no. Every time I give you these street fight stipulations you two maniacs try to seriously kill each other. You're going to wrestle, and if you try to pull that violent poo poo, you're going to lose by disqualification." And then over the build, you can build to Johnny realizing that Regal did him a massive favor and that this is what he should have been focusing on all along and so on.

I would be totally down for Regal subtly hinting "Wrestling doesn't mean you can't make a man suffer in the ring."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

VJeff posted:

I did.

I tuned into Takeover because Takeovers are usually extremely good. And that one was, but the main event can kiss my rear end.

I am now imagining you saying “that main event can KISS MY rear end” very passionately out loud while standing with your chest sticking out and I can’t stop laughing.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Shayna is busy corncobbing on twitter.

https://twitter.com/QoSBaszler/status/1031054683111084035

For those who don't get it:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561?lang=en

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
My only takeaway from the Ciampa Gargano match is that Johnny needs to blow his nose thoroughly before he goes to the ring. Like use a Neti pot or something, sheesh

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Foreshadowing for when Booger Red gets a new tag team partner

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Guys. Gargano/Ciampa is NXT's Ambrose/Rollins. It just hit me.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

SamuraiFoochs posted:

So they’ll become friends again for no other reason than “they’re both babyface at the same time”?

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

the lms match was a letdown but god drat

https://twitter.com/totaldivaseps/status/1030972171752022022?s=12

im just gonna watch this over and over on a loop until i die, im never gonna let go of how fuckin awesome this was

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Kairi Sane is such a natural baby face. I love her so much.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

fart blood posted:

So they’ll become friends again for no other reason than “they’re both babyface at the same time”?

Eventually. But also Johnny was the hottest face in NXT, I say was because last night was the tipping point and they didn't pull the trigger on it. It wasn't quite Ghost Bray bad, but it was close.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

The_Rob posted:

Kairi Sane is such a natural baby face. I love her so much.

Me too. Her, Velveteen, Ricochet, Bianca, and The Undisputed. I really like this current NXT lineup and the fall should be a lot of fun.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

fart blood posted:

Eh, I'll stick up for that in that at least Dean didn't just forget about Seth loving him and Seth did have to earn his trust back.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Roman pretty much became friends with Seth again after he turned face.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

So it was good at first but went on way too long and just ended up cooling off the hottest babyface on the show?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

OctoberCountry posted:

So it was good at first but went on way too long and just ended up cooling off the hottest babyface on the show?

Right in one.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Listen I know we all have opinions but the idea that this was even in the same galaxy as Deans spooky ghost adventure is crazy

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I'm excited to see Aleister Black kick the poo poo out of Gargano when he gets back. Fairly sure the story will be Gargano did it but who knows.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Listen I know we all have opinions but the idea that this was even in the same galaxy as Deans spooky ghost adventure is crazy

I'd argue in terms of making the victim look like a geek it's almost worse because it's the second time in a loving row.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Le Saboteur posted:

I'm excited to see Aleister Black kick the poo poo out of Gargano when he gets back. Fairly sure the story will be Gargano did it but who knows.

It's going to be like Murder on the Orient Express and everyone did it. Everyone on the roster just took turns kicking Black in the balls.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

SunshineDanceParty posted:

It's going to be like Murder on the Orient Express and everyone did it. Everyone on the roster just took turns kicking Black in the balls.

Regal: Who was the woman in the red kimono?
Adam Cole: Asuka? But she was called up months ago. BAY-BAY!

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Everyone complaining that Gargano was “made to look like an idiot” for acting exactly like his character would given the circumstances are the same people who complained that Peter Quill was “written like an idiot” for attacking Thanos in Infinity War

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gargano’s character is that he’s a loser and not good enough so the finish fit fine?

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Aphrodite posted:

Gargano’s character is that he’s a loser and not good enough so the finish fit fine?

Yay he's main roster ready! :neckbeard:

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Is that what you actually saw last night because we must have been watching different shows then

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Dr. rear end posted:

Everyone complaining that Gargano was “made to look like an idiot” for acting exactly like his character would given the circumstances are the same people who complained that Peter Quill was “written like an idiot” for attacking Thanos in Infinity War

The ending of that movie was super contrived too, but at least they had the decency to imply it was happening for a reason via Strange.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dr. rear end posted:

Is that what you actually saw last night because we must have been watching different shows then

The problem isn't what happened. It's that it's almost literally the same finish as last time and a babyface should learn from fuckups like that.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Seriously, if a babyface showed zero growth for two months and lost for the exact same reason in consecutive PPV main events on the main roster, you guys would not be sticking up for it.

Except for Aphrodite, who for some reason really hates competent babyfaces.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

SamuraiFoochs posted:

The problem isn't what happened. It's that it's almost literally the same finish as last time and a babyface should learn from fuckups like that.

And he will! But this is the same guy who just a couple weeks ago practically handed Ciampa the title because he couldn’t leave well enough alone. Character development doesn’t happen that quickly lest it come off as super loving hacky. At no point last night did Gargano look like someone who was trying to win a championship. He just wanted to hurt Ciampa, and that’s what cost him, again. It’s a little ho-hum considering they just did that two months ago, sure, but they’ve been spending the time since showing that Gargano has not wised up even a bit since then.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dr. rear end posted:

And he will! But this is the same guy who just a couple weeks ago practically handed Ciampa the title because he couldn’t leave well enough alone. Character development doesn’t happen that quickly lest it come off as super loving hacky. At no point last night did Gargano look like someone who was trying to win a championship. He just wanted to hurt Ciampa, and that’s what cost him, again. It’s a little ho-hum considering they just did that two months ago, sure, but they’ve been spending the time since showing that Gargano has not wised up even a bit since then.

Dude, it was a great match but the finish was rear end. Just accept it. Your justification worked for Chicago, not here.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

VJeff posted:

The ending of that movie was super contrived too, but at least they had the decency to imply it was happening for a reason via Strange.

We aren’t even talking about the same part of the movie

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Dude, it was a great match but the finish was rear end. Just accept it. Your justification worked for Chicago, not here.

If Black weren’t injured, Ciampa almost certainly would’ve still walked out champion and it almost certainly would’ve been Johnny’s fault again. Would that have been rear end?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

VJeff posted:

Seriously, if a babyface showed zero growth for two months and lost for the exact same reason in consecutive PPV main events on the main roster, you guys would not be sticking up for it.

There's even proof they wouldn't. Dean was a joke for having that 2.5 month span where he got fooled by lamp ghost and exploding TV to close PPVs. Nakamura got distracted by the same guy/s into hitting the same Khallas multiple months in a row right after Orton was in the exact same situation for months himself. Deservedly neither of those characters, nor the bookers, avoided criticism

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

The first thing I thought of when the cuffs came out was that someone was going to get handcuffed to a thing that would prevent them from being counted down. I assumed it would be the ropes, and also had the thought that Ciampa was going to cuff himself to the top rope when Johnny was trying to put him through the tables. Johnny tries to drive him through, Ciampa hangs suspended by the ropes and Gargano goes through the tables by himself to finish the match.

Overall it was all fine. I'm a little tired of the match at this point but they were in a lovely spot so oh well. At least they can always go and just beat the poo poo out of each other. It's not like we're watching Sheamus/Del Rio here.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Everyone losing their minds over a very good thing becoming slightly less good is par for the course here

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Everyone complaining about double standards with criticism of NXT vs the main roster conveniently ignores just how truly awful the booking on the main roster is.

The finish to Gargano/Ciampa III was flawed, but "main roster bad"? That's like comparing Josef Stalin to a serial killer.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

fart blood posted:

Everyone complaining about double standards with criticism of NXT vs the main roster conveniently ignores just how truly awful the booking on the main roster is.

The finish to Gargano/Ciampa III was flawed, but "main roster bad"? That's like comparing Josef Stalin to a serial killer.

If it were the main roster there probably would have been interference from 2-3 people and a ref bump for no reason. I think my only issue is that Falls Count Anywhere, Unsanctioned, and Last Man Standing are essentially the same gimmick with slightly different endings. I think it'd be easier for some folks to swallow if the gimmick matches had some more variety to them.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Phenix Rising posted:

If it were the main roster there probably would have been interference from 2-3 people and a ref bump for no reason. I think my only issue is that Falls Count Anywhere, Unsanctioned, and Last Man Standing are essentially the same gimmick with slightly different endings. I think it'd be easier for some folks to swallow if the gimmick matches had some more variety to them.

Understood.

But to clarify: my point is that it's easier to brush off a lame booking decision when a product has a track record of being consistently good to great.

NXT is consistently good to great, so a lame finish isn't a sign of a bad pattern. You can dislike it but the overall it's still good.

Main roster booking is truly terrible and consistently terrible, so whenever a bad finish happens, it's thrown on the pile. And whenever a good booking decision occurs, it's easy to brush off because we all know it was either on accident or not the sign of a good pattern.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

The finish was the best they could do in the scramble after black’s testicle blew up. It is too soon to take the belt off ciampa and too late to add someone else to the match. The last man standing stipulation led to a dumb ending, but the match was good. I do think they could have just done a double KO to make Johnny look slightly less dumb though.

Plus now they are indicating that Johnny’s going to be put on ice, so everyone complaining that the feud is getting old (myself included) will get their wish and we can all take a break from it. Hopefully when he does come back in a few months he will learn from his errors and cleanly beat ciampa to end the feud in one takeover cycle.

Then aleister comes back as a heel to claim what’s his :kheldragar:

Insertnamehere31 fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 19, 2018

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

TUE will be face now with adam cole taking the belt off ciampa and KoR defeating the los angeles raiders single-handedly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
I still think my favorite part of Takeover last night was HBK pretty much telling the main roster to put up or shut up.

https://twitter.com/ShawnMichaels/status/1031002934824169475

(They'll completely fail to beat Takeover, like usual).