Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

https://twitter.com/iLikeJason_/status/1030858959501058048

The tournament has started! There's been two nights of matches so far, and they've already gotten most of the first night up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Natsu Sumire vs Jamie Hayter is the standout so far. I wasn't as familiar with Hayter(I had her confused with Erin Angel) but she did a lot of violence! Sumire dished out some too. Absolute scrappy affair.

E: Tam may be seriously hurt. I've never heard her shriek like that.

coconono fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 19, 2018

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Any update on Tam?

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I checked the spoilers, she wrestled today against Konami, so if she did get hurt, its not badly.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

ok so maybe the planned finish was to eat a gnarly slam, and scream a whole lot.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The size difference between Rachel Ellering and Jungle Kyona was pretty wild. More matches are up btw.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I think there's only one more match from night one left to post, and night two should be right behind.

I have a feeling that this tourney is really going to screw up my mental wrestler tiering.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

here's the spot where Tam's back got hosed up:

https://twitter.com/totaldivaseps/status/1031942991122980864

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Day 1 is now completely up!

coconono posted:

I haven't found any news or anything of her being actually hurt. I think it was just a powerful sell to lead into the Torture Rack finish.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

kinda bummed that outside of Oedo Tai, no one is really talking poo poo in these prematch promos.

anyway, here's my spoiler free review of night 1:

01 Five Way Battle
Starlight Kid vs Shiki Shibusawa vs Leo Onozaki vs Hanan vs Ruaka
cute its a kid's rumble, worth watching if you enjoy child fighting.

02 Red Stars
Kimber Lee vs Natsuko Tora
must see Great opener. Both Lee and Tora hit real fuckin hard.

03 Blue Stars
Natsu Sumire vs Jamie Hayter
must see Surprisingly fighty! Natsu wasn't ready for a fight but caught on quickly. My match of the night pick.

04 Red Stars
Utami Hayashishita vs Tam Nakano
tam time! Utami is gonna be their next ace and Tam does what she does best.

05 Blue Stars
Saki Kashima vs Hazuki
good this was a case of very cruel matchmaking.

06 Red Stars
Jungle Kyona vs Rachael Ellering
must see Jungle gets put on the back foot for once by being the smaller competitor.

07 Blue Stars
Momo Watanabe vs Nicole Savoy
must see looked like a mismatch on paper but Momo does not care. Momo will kill you and eat your candy. beware Momo. Savoy is loving awesome. great match.

08 Blue Stars
Kelly Klein vs Mayu Iwatani
good Kelly always looks better outside of ROH and this showing was no different. Not a spectacular battle but fun. If Kelly Klein worked at a faster pace, I would like her more. She ragdolled Mayu impressively.

09 Red Stars
Kagetsu vs Konami
must see Would have been match of the night had Hayter and Natsu not tried to murder each other. A heated battle from a pair that always delivers.

coconono fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 22, 2018

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I'm caught up to current, and here's my shortlist recommendations.

Must Watches are:
Momo Watanabe/Nicole Savoy (Day 1)
Man, this match is good. Just two highly skilled wrestlers having a hell of a match.

Konami/Kagetsu (Day 1)
Absolute Murder in this one. Very stiff.

Recommended are:
Rachael Ellering/Jungle Kyona (Day 1)
Hoss off! Ellering is still pretty green, but they put together a nice physical showcase.

Momo Watanabe/Jamie Hayter (Day 2)
Jamie Hayter is really good! It's a Momo match, so its pretty much worth watching just on those merits at baseline.

Utami Hayashishita/Natsuko Tora (Day 2)
This is probably Tora's best match so far. They're both green, but they put on a really good match. Utami is probably going to kill someone with that STO though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gonna try and catch up on what is available so far on the weekend. It'd be nice if it was live (but probably not financially viable) as that would probably serve as more of an impetus for me to stay up to date.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Oedo Tai is the greatest faction in pro wrestling today

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

Smoking Crow posted:

Oedo Tai is the greatest faction in pro wrestling

:hai:

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
Never watched a lick of Japanese women's wrestling before but if the NXT sign overs are any indication of the level of talent they have... I may have to check this out.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Demtor posted:

Never watched a lick of Japanese women's wrestling before but if the NXT sign overs are any indication of the level of talent they have... I may have to check this out.

There's a bunch of matches linked in the op, friend!

Both Kairi Sane and Io Shirai are obviously super talents, but honestly Stardom has enough super talents that their slots filled in immediately. Momo Watanabe, Mayu Iwatani, and Kagetsu are all at the top of the card now, and are just as talented.

Smoking Crow posted:

Oedo Tai is the greatest faction in pro wrestling today

:yeah:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The only group that can stop Odeo Tai is NEO Biishiki-gun

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

Gone too soon

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

RealFoxy posted:

Odeo Tai?

Is that what Oersted is calling himself nowadays?

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Day 2 is completely up now!

This weekend's shows are both on Sunday, a noon show and an evening show.

The matches I'm looking forward to most on those cards:
Konami vs Jungle Kyona
Mayu Iwatani vs Jamie Hayter
Sumire Natsu vs Momo Watanabe
Saki Kishima vs Nicole Savoy

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Stardom book Jamie Hayter more, please.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
:shepspends: Subbed and started night 1. Thank you for the awesome OP. Trying to figure out who's who is a real puzzler right away but I am already 4 matches in and I can tell it's going to be worth it.

coconono posted:

Stardom book Jamie Hayter more, please.

Yup. She seems pretty awesome. drat.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I was already real high on Utami after her debut but she's killing it so far. I also really love Konami and Jamie Hayter, neither of whom I'd seen before. Konami loving slays and Hayter is so crisp and arrogant.

Kimber was meh for me on night one but better on night two. I can't get into Ellering in general for some reason (in or out of the 5*).

Really loving this so far. Any time Tam howls in pain I feel it in my heart. She has a way of making you believe everything.

So glad I finally signed up for STARDOM World!

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Konami is real good. A lot of her strikes and submissions tend to be inspired by Asuka. Which makes sense considering that Konami was the sole protege of Asuka. I'd say of the current crop of STARDOM talent, the ones with the most potential are Momo, Konami, and Hazuki. Hana is up there as well, although she has a larger gap to cover. Same with Utami.

So enjoy them while they last. Hazuki has expressed in an interview a little while ago that she wants to go to WWE at some point in her career (she even admitted that she grew up watching it), and while Hana's situation is a bit more complex, I wouldn't be shocked if she ends up in WWE before too long as well. Momo is too young still, Konami will probably not be brought in until/unless Asuka leaves, and the only other name I could see WWE being interested in is Mayu, but she's said she has no interest in working for them right now. She enjoys her freedom of being able to work pretty much anywhere she wants.

This is a good 5*GP though, not going to lie.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Thanks for that info!

I'm really enjoying it. I went back and watched the matches linked in the OP and some other random stuff on STARDOM World and I really dig everything. The subtitles make the shows so accessible and help you learn at least a little bit about the wrestlers which is super helpful. I keep thinking about which wrestlers look like they could swim in WWE (or at least NXT) and Konami was definitely up there. She just looks cool as hell and her look stands out from the others, IMO.

There's so much dang wrestling to watch these days. I also signed up for Sendai Girls and now I'm considering DDT for TJPW, plus whatever is on Powerbomb.tv any given day/week, MLW each week, and NJPW at my forefront. I've never been so happy to not be watching WWE.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

another spoiler free match review of Night 2!

01 Five Way Battle
Starlight Kid vs Shiki Shibusawa vs Leo Onozaki vs Hanan vs Ruaka
CHILD FIGHTING The kids fight again.

02 Blue Stars
Natsu Sumire vs Nicole Savoy
good Natsu is sneaky and violent but Savoy's just fuckin violent.

03 Blue Stars
Momo Watanabe vs Jamie Hayter
must watch Momo and Hayter bring the heat in this one.

04 Red Stars
Jungle Kyona vs Kimber Lee
must watch Both Jungle and Kimber are fired up for this confrontation and its a lot burly business.

05 Red Stars
Utami Hayashishita vs Natsuko Tora
good Utami is growing on me. Its of note that for whatever reason but JAN members(Jungle and Tora) looked like they overslept and hastily made it to the venue. Not sure if that's a storyline thing or just poo poo that happened.

06 Red Stars
Tam Nakano vs Konami
Tam Time! Tam's back is pretty heavily taped but she's as game as always, especially against a dangerous competitor like Konami. Match of the night pick.

07 Blue Stars
Hazuki vs Kelly Klein
Must watch Kelly seems to have found her bearings in the stardom ring but Hazuki doesn't give a poo poo. She wants to hurt you, Kelly. Did it hurt? Because that poo poo looked like it hurt. Great fight.

08 Blue Stars
Mayu Iwatani vs Saki Kashima
good I didn't enjoy this match as much as I wanted to. They both seemed to go through the motions, which were still pretty good motions but not quite the fireworks Mayu usually brings.

09 Red Stars
Rachael Ellering vs Kagetsu
must watch Ellering hasn't quite found her killer instinct in the ring but is still enough of a physical threat that a possibly banged up Kagetsu has to put in the work to stay game. Great finish and good post match stuff.

Overall a pretty good show. They're starting to heat up in the ring a lot more but still a little too much breathing and pacing issues for what the stakes are. Of the gaijin, Kimber Lee and Hayter are really bringing the fire. The others aren't quite there yet. Of the regular Stardom roster, Hazuki and Momo are standouts. Kagetsu and Utami are also slated for a confrontation that'll be the real test to see if Utami can hang with the Stardom crew or be one of "Rossy's faves"

coconono fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 26, 2018

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Is AZM not worthy of consideration for the WWE?

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

TV Zombie posted:

Is AZM not worthy of consideration for the WWE?

She's good, but also still very young. She's 15. WWE also generally doesn't like to sign talent under 21. They got burned by Paige and I guess Tyler Bate to an extent.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 26, 2018

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

motion that mentioning the wwe is bannable itt

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Super No Vacancy posted:

Seconded

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Super No Vacancy posted:

Agreed, if you really want to talk about them, go to the main Women's Wrestling thread? This is for wrestling that doesn't give you brain worms.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

after night 2 here are the point standings:

Red https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/1033599303137128448
Blue https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/1033017175257141249

Warning, Stardom has already tweeted the next 2 show results, so be very careful if you're trying to remain unspoilered!

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Have people every gone 0 for.the tournament?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

TV Zombie posted:

Have people every gone 0 for.the tournament?

Yes.

Hiromi Mimura goose egged the 2016
Haruka Kato, Kris Wolf 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Super No Vacancy posted:

The motion has been seconded. The motion has passed.

Finally got some free time to start watching, I really dig that the pre-fight interviews have been subtitled.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I have come to an important and stunning revelation that may shock you to the very foundations of your beliefs.

Oedo Tai absolutely loving rule.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

coconono posted:

06 Red Stars
Tam Nakano vs Konami
Tam Time! Tam's back is pretty heavily taped but she's as game as always, especially against a dangerous competitor like Konami. Match of the night pick.

I give that match a Tam/5, would Tam again

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

coconono posted:

That was a great match. I'm really diggin' on Utami Hayashishita as my favorite so far next to Konami, Hazuki and miss Hayter.

Night 2 had a lot of surprise last second reversal pins for shock value. Almost like they were trying to get across that anyone could win at any time.

I really enjoy not having an announce team. Just lots of screaming and hard hitting. I figure there is some history between certain wrestlers that I'm missing out on but it doesn't matter all that much when the matches get going. I'll start getting used to who uses what finishers eventually and can guess on some of the belt holders to have taken them from a few of the others in the past I'm sure.

Speaking of belts, what is the system here? White, silver and red? Which one is best. How many belts are there exactly? What does the winner of this tournament get? Shot at a title like in NJPW?

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

Oh, well I found this that helped

http://www.stardom-world.com/champions/

Noticed that last years G1 winner signed with that other company's UK division. Gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Demtor posted:

Speaking of belts, what is the system here? White, silver and red? Which one is best. How many belts are there exactly? What does the winner of this tournament get? Shot at a title like in NJPW?

Yep, the winner of the tourney gets a title shot. Stardom doesn't drag it out, it'll be shortly after.

The top belt is the World of Stardom championship, known as the Red Belt. Currently held by Kagetsu.

The secondary belt is the Wonder of Stardom championship, known as the White Belt. Currently held by Momo Watanabe.

The tag team titles are the Goddess of Stardom championships, and have black straps. Currently held by Mayu Iwatani and Saki Kishima.

The Trios championships are the Artist of Stardom championships, and each one is a different pastel shade. Currently held by the Jungle Assault Nation: Jungle Kyona, Natsuko Tora and Kaori Yoneyama.

The Future of Stardom championship is for kids and rookies. It's a powder blue strap, held by Starlight Kid.

The High Speed Title seems to have been replaced by the Future title, and hasn't been defended in forever. Held by Mary Apache.

The Stardom World Alliance title is for the top gaijin regular to carry around the world and look good with. Held by Viper

Go RV! fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Aug 27, 2018

• Locked thread