Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Shwqa posted:

Yeah mill isn't an instant lose due to hearthstone forced 30 card decks. However there is a permanent 10 card hand limit so all card past that are destroyed.

And let not forget the new win condition.

It would be pretty hard to pull off even with the drawing your entire deck. You still have to play your entire hand and kill the 10/10 before your opponet can disable it. It will be pretty funny when it works though.

Who wins
A giant 10-mana wincon in a purpose built self-mill deck
vs
1 sad owly boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Who wins
A giant 10-mana wincon in a purpose built self-mill deck
vs
1 sad owly boy

I hate to tell you this but the sad owly boy got nerfed. New silence tech is angry magic boy.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Eschatos posted:

That makes a fun little standard legal combo with this.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

An unironic lmao

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

The colors of Pacifism, Lightning Bolt, Naturalize, and Murder shouldn't be complaining about not letting people play with their toys :colbert:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

The colors of Pacifism, Lightning Bolt, Naturalize, and Murder shouldn't be complaining about not letting people play with their toys :colbert:

White is the color of taking the toy and putting it on the shelf as a display piece.

Red is the color of taking the toy and hitting it with a hammer until it breaks.

Black is the color of taking the toy and running it over with a car.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Green is the color of having a completely ridiculous number of toys.

Blue is the color of...toy? What toy? You never had a toy. What are you talking about?

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

Randalor posted:

Black is the color of taking the toy and running it over with a car.

No that one is also white :v:

I've always loved the flavor of this card

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The og pacify had some fun flavour. Luminous bonds just ain't the same.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Phthisis posted:

No that one is also white :v:

I've always loved the flavor of this card

I only bought one booster from that set and I got that card.

I loving love how any creature be it the smallest goblin to the most powerful edlritch horror from beyond can't stand up to the power of car.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Something terrible happened to White Knight and Black Knight during the events of Planar Chaos. At least, I think that's what's going on with this card.

This card has very good flavor, and is also very cool.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

ilmucche posted:

If there's a video game version of the tcg I'd play it. Not sure how much depth the game had though.
Yeah, there was a version of the Digimon card game on PlayStation. Kind of fun.

I've been killing time at work recently by trawling through Magic, so here's a batch of cards with art that caught my eye.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

This card was actually timeshifted in Time Spiral, so it's modern-legal. I play it sometimes in my Ad Nauseam deck, and use the original Legends printing of it because it looks so sweet and always throws people for a loop the first time they see it, since it's so far outside the style of modern-era Magic.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Who What Now posted:

They should make an insectoid monster that costs one Black, one Blue, and one Green Mana.

Rereading the thread, I don't get this one

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

PubicMice posted:

Rereading the thread, I don't get this one

Written/typed shorthand for MTG mana costs use letters to represent colored mana. So if a card costs two colorless mana and two red mana, you could write that as 2RR. The shorthand for blue is U, presumably because that’s the first letter it doesn’t share with black.

So, a creature that costs one black, one blue, and one green would cost BUG.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ariong posted:

Written/typed shorthand for MTG mana costs use letters to represent colored mana. So if a card costs two colorless mana and two red mana, you could write that as 2RR. The shorthand for blue is U, presumably because that’s the first letter it doesn’t share with black.

So, a creature that costs one black, one blue, and one green would cost BUG.

Except it would actually be written UBG because the colours always go in the order WUBRG.
:goonsay:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
They could make an exception for one card

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
I have nothing to contribute and haven't played any TCGs in over a decade, but I love reading this thread.

MTG is weirdly fascinating.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Tiggum posted:

Except it would actually be written UBG because the colours always go in the order WUBRG.

It's more complicated than that. These days, it's BGU.

Specifically, colors are always arranged in the order of the repeating sequence ". . . WUBRGWUBRG. . ." For 2-color cards, pick two colors as close together as possible (so white and blue would be WU, but green and white isn't WG as you suggest since they're 4 apart and could be 1 apart if you did GW in WUBRGWUBRG). For 3-color cards, there are ally "shards" (three colors in a row in that sequence, or in other words, one "center" color and its two neighbors) or enemy "wedges" (one "center" color and the two colors two spaces away in either direction), and the "center" is always the second color. In other words, the colors are evenly spaced. For example, red-green-white is RGW because WUBRGWUBRG. And as I said, it's BGU (WUBRGWUBRG) not UBG (WUBRGWUBRG, not evenly spaced, G not in the center). For 4-color cards, take the four colors in order (so Atraxa, for example, is GWUB, because WUBRGWUBRG). For 5-color cards, start with W (WUBRG).

:goonsay: x1000

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Darthemed posted:

Yeah, there was a version of the Digimon card game on PlayStation. Kind of fun.

I've been killing time at work recently by trawling through Magic, so here's a batch of cards with art that caught my eye.

I seriously can't pick my favorite Drew Tucker art, but this one is up there.

PubicMice has a new favorite as of 13:32 on Aug 17, 2018

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

I appreciate that someone else knows this poo poo.

I get poo poo from my friends because anytime I sort anything (collection, decks, etc.), I sort it by hypothetical set number if they were in a set together, so I know the full convention of how they order cards. It's all the multicolor/hybrid stuff that makes it hard. Alara Reborn is a great resource for working it out.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Phthisis posted:

I appreciate that someone else knows this poo poo.

I get poo poo from my friends because anytime I sort anything (collection, decks, etc.), I sort it by hypothetical set number if they were in a set together, so I know the full convention of how they order cards. It's all the multicolor/hybrid stuff that makes it hard. Alara Reborn is a great resource for working it out.
Is there a good full writeup anywhere of this incredibly nerdy poo poo for a game I don't even play?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Phthisis posted:

This card was actually timeshifted in Time Spiral, so it's modern-legal. I play it sometimes in my Ad Nauseam deck, and use the original Legends printing of it because it looks so sweet and always throws people for a loop the first time they see it, since it's so far outside the style of modern-era Magic.

It's a shame Harold McNeill is a white supremacist, I love his art style in MTG, aside from the way too over the top Invoke Prejudice. It's a shame that wizards has moved almost all new card art to their bland photorealistic style. My boy RKF gets nothing these days and it's sad.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

Eschatos posted:

It's a shame Harold McNeill is a white supremacist, I love his art style in MTG, aside from the way too over the top Invoke Prejudice. It's a shame that wizards has moved almost all new card art to their bland photorealistic style. My boy RKF gets nothing these days and it's sad.

Yeah, I'm really not a fan of Magic art right now. There are still some artists that are active and do some good stuff sometimes (Magali Villeneuve, Jason Chan, and Karla Ortiz have done some great work within the new style), but in general all of the art styles that really got me into Magic have been snuffed out.

Richard Kane Ferguson was my favorite artist for a long time.

I've been meaning to pick up one of these, since the art is sweet and was in the first deck I built after coming back to magic after I quit.

There's a pretty good collection of high-res pics of RKF's stuff here:
http://originalmagicart.com/richard-kane-ferguson-art-for-sale-by-the-artists-agent-mark-aronowitz/

I am a huge fan of the art to Batwing Brume, though I think it's totally lost on the card since it ends up being too small:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I've become rather enamored with Ascension as of late, so here's some of the cool/weird/neat art from that:

Brb, painting this on the side of my van.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
This card is my favorite:

with augury owls, scry lands, and:

Wins maybe 20% of the time but when it does it is both fun and hilarious.

Also, going back to Vampire Hexmage chat, I play a deck that uses life gain via creatures with lifelink, Vampire Hexmage and Celestial Convergence:

It's silly but drat if it doesn't work

Literally A Person has a new favorite as of 22:58 on Aug 19, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

My brother used to use this is a deck he only got out for multiplayer games, because it was too slow and obvious for one-on-one but in multiplayer he'd just seem completely unthreatening, sitting there healing himself, so often no one would attack him until it was too late.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Tiggum posted:

My brother used to use this is a deck he only got out for multiplayer games, because it was too slow and obvious for one-on-one but in multiplayer he'd just seem completely unthreatening, sitting there healing himself, so often no one would attack him until it was too late.

It's a fun way to put a clock on a game. It and Felidar Soveriegn (at your upkeep if you have 40 or more life you win the game) in a deck is a neat way to keep a healing deck "offensive."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

Big chaos games were always the best thing because of the stupid, ridiculous poo poo you could pull off if nobody paid enough attention.

I had a deck that ran on Thallids, Elvish Farmers, Keldon Warlords, and that sort of thing. It didn't seem like a huge deal until the accessories started showing up; stuff like Stampede Drivers, Lhurgoyfs, and Marton Stromgald. One game I managed to kill like 7 other players all at the same time doing like 500 points of damage. I had other random stuff in there but the entire point of the deck was to just quietly vomit tokens everywhere before saying "these are now all 30/30 and have trample. I attack everybody." No way in hell it worked in a 1v1 game and it didn't always work in chaos games either but when it did boy howdy was it hilarious.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Big chaos games were always the best thing because of the stupid, ridiculous poo poo you could pull off if nobody paid enough attention.

I had a deck that ran on Thallids, Elvish Farmers, Keldon Warlords, and that sort of thing. It didn't seem like a huge deal until the accessories started showing up; stuff like Stampede Drivers, Lhurgoyfs, and Marton Stromgald. One game I managed to kill like 7 other players all at the same time doing like 500 points of damage. I had other random stuff in there but the entire point of the deck was to just quietly vomit tokens everywhere before saying "these are now all 30/30 and have trample. I attack everybody." No way in hell it worked in a 1v1 game and it didn't always work in chaos games either but when it did boy howdy was it hilarious.

I have one like this that makes a ton of loving 0/1 kelp walls and suddenly turns them all into 5/5 flying dragons.

It's a total gimmick deck but it's hilarious to look harmless then wipe up multiple players

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

A couple weekends ago we were playing a three team game of commander. I managed to pop this guy's emblem in one turn

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Tamiyo%2C+Field+Researcher

It was really fun until team Eifel 65 (two mono blue decks) managed to drop two Time Stretches for a total of four extra turns. Each.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

I can't believe they got a full dick and balls passed the censors.

Tiggum posted:

This is why everyone hates nerds. We can't have nice things.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Literally A Person posted:

It's silly but drat if it doesn't work

I love seeing decks that revolve around a neat card from an unpopular expansion. There was some good stuff in Prophecy besides Avatar of Woe.

This card inspired me to make a land control/token creature/Polymorph deck. I haven't ever made a landfall deck, but if I do, it's probably going in there too.

And then there's this monstrosity. It's a common!

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 04:47 on Aug 20, 2018

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Y'all who like the painter-ly quality of guys like RKF, Tucker and McNeill should check out the cards done by Seb McKinnon, it evokes a really similar feel for me while being a little cleaner. I like his takes on Entomb and Dirge of Dread in particular-

:hb:

Thunder Bear posted:

I have nothing to contribute and haven't played any TCGs in over a decade, but I love reading this thread.

MTG is weirdly fascinating.

As a long-time Magic player who took a bunch of time off in the middle of that, Magic is an incredibly fun and complex game that is dragged down by everything else that goes into its creation and sustained existence. It's a testament to the quality of the core gameplay that Magic has remained hitched to an extremely outdated distribution and promotion model for so long, yet has continuously grown since 2000 if not earlier (albeit at slightly variable rates).

E: We joke in the main M:tG thread in TG that Wizards of the Coast (the company that designs and sells Magic) is the only company that sees "demand for our product is higher than we can accommodate" as not just a problem, but a problem that is impossible to solve.

C-Euro has a new favorite as of 04:56 on Aug 20, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

And then there's this monstrosity. It's a common!
That's a terrible card. It mostly punishes young and inexperienced players and they don't even know it, because they haven't learned that letting your opponent draw a card is pretty much the worst thing you can do. Rather than seeing it as "all your spells cost 1 more to play" they see it as essentially inconsequential and then don't understand how they lost so badly.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
When it comes to using cards like that or, say, Browbeat, assume your opponent is always going to make the choice that benefits you least - if that outcome isn't useful for your deck, you shouldn't be using the card at all.

I stopped using Rhystic Study not just because it's an unreliable source of card draw, but because it's too frustrating for newer players and always tedious to deal with in multiplayer matches. I still like it because it's puzzling and evil like all the best blue cards - but in practice, whether it's useful or not, it just isn't very fun.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

When it comes to using cards like that or, say, Browbeat, assume your opponent is always going to make the choice that benefits you least - if that outcome isn't useful for your deck, you shouldn't be using the card at all.
Now Browbeat is a card I like a lot.

When someone plays that, you pretty much know you've got to take the damage, but 5 damage is enough that you really don't want to. And it's especially great in multiplayer, because then you've got to try to negotiate who's going to take the hit.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Tiggum posted:

That's a terrible card. It mostly punishes young and inexperienced players and they don't even know it, because they haven't learned that letting your opponent draw a card is pretty much the worst thing you can do. Rather than seeing it as "all your spells cost 1 more to play" they see it as essentially inconsequential and then don't understand how they lost so badly.

I wouldn't say it's terrible. Certainly not the best card ever, but it's not a bad trick to throw into a deck that wants to mess with the opponent. They either let you draw cards or pay extra for spells, and it sticks around. I could see running it in a combo deck or if I'm splashing blue and want more enchantments. If it were anything other than an enchantment, then yes, it would be terrible, just like the other Rhystic cards (Oh boy, I'm going to pay 3 to let you pay 2 to cancel whatever I was about to do).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Randalor posted:

I wouldn't say it's terrible. Certainly not the best card ever, but it's not a bad trick to throw into a deck that wants to mess with the opponent. They either let you draw cards or pay extra for spells, and it sticks around. I could see running it in a combo deck or if I'm splashing blue and want more enchantments. If it were anything other than an enchantment, then yes, it would be terrible, just like the other Rhystic cards (Oh boy, I'm going to pay 3 to let you pay 2 to cancel whatever I was about to do).

Oh, I don't mean terrible in the sense of being a bad idea to use it in a deck. I meant in the sense that it's kind of a mean trick to play on someone who almost certainly isn't as good as you at the game to begin with. Making your opponent's spells cost 1 more is often useful, and if you get an extra card or two out of it as well then that's a bonus. It's just one of those things that creates an even sharper divide between new or young players and older/better players, and I would prefer it didn't exist for that reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

I play Rhystic Study in my prison-style Grand Arbiter Augustin IV EDH that exists only to punish people for wanting to play EDH :v:

But if you want to talk about cards that pretty much just punish the hell out of inexperienced players, it doesn't get better than Landstill:

Also Seb McKinnon did a really sweet Cleric token recently. It's a shame I will literally never make a Cleric token in my life.