Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Today's goal: Good shoulder and triceps day. Plan on barbell presses topping at 135 x 6 for three set, then lateral raises (upright, slightly bent forward, and about 45 degrees forward -- I turn an adjustable incline bench around and lay chest-on-pad so I can keep the angle consistent, avoid bouncing for momentum, and minimize low back strain), and shrugs. Triceps will be a bunch of whatever.

I love shrugs, since they remind me of when I was deadlifting heavy. My epicondylitis messes with my grip, so I've just been using straps and going heavy-ish, say 275 or 315 for sets of six to eight; though the latter makes it hard to really get the full range of motion I should, the weight just feels good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

NumbersMatching320 posted:

The AI uniform is cargo shorts and band shirts or blipshifts and no more needs to be said.

Guilty as charged. Also, I work in IT, so it's like a double official uniform.

Didn't work out at all during the weekend, gonna hit the bike commute hard all next week, plus crossfit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

INCHI DICKARI posted:

I'm currently wearing a Venom shirt with flannel pajama pants

This was also what I was hoping for.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Doing nothing but meal prep today. Hopefully joining the gym goers tomorrow

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Today's goal: Good shoulder and triceps day. Plan on barbell presses topping at 135 x 6 for three set, then lateral raises (upright, slightly bent forward, and about 45 degrees forward -- I turn an adjustable incline bench around and lay chest-on-pad so I can keep the angle consistent, avoid bouncing for momentum, and minimize low back strain), and shrugs. Triceps will be a bunch of whatever.

I love shrugs, since they remind me of when I was deadlifting heavy. My epicondylitis messes with my grip, so I've just been using straps and going heavy-ish, say 275 or 315 for sets of six to eight; though the latter makes it hard to really get the full range of motion I should, the weight just feels good.

Holy gently caress I could barely do 55x6 today (I guess technically 110x6?) on dumbbell presses. Shrugs are fun but my grip strength is garbage and keeping me from doing anything over ~170.

Good lifting day today, felt great.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

Adiabatic posted:

Holy gently caress I could barely do 55x6 today (I guess technically 110x6?) on dumbbell presses. Shrugs are fun but my grip strength is garbage and keeping me from doing anything over ~170.

Maybe best to wear straps when doing Shrugs. Straps for shrugs ONLY unless you one day start DLing super heavy and stuff.
After all, when you're training your Traps, you're there to train Traps - not your grip. Get some straps, shrug hard, and watch those mountains start holding up your tee shirt. Feels good.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Air quality went from "good" to "unhealthy" in less than 24 hours here so I'm probably not going outside today. Glad I was on the bike for 4 hours yesterday. Might go lift some weights though since I've been meaning to do this. I found the stronglifts 5x5 when I was looking for some form guidelines and it seems pretty good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The 5x5 is what I was doing prior to my hiatus and I loved it.

Can I get a footwear recommendation? I need an all purpose shoe if possible, walking, running, elliptical, lifting etc. Reebok discontinued the zigtech shoes I previously wore out and so I need a new alternative. The Adidas I bought ended up not feeling right on my feet so i returned them.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Nike Air Monarch IV have served me well as a general purpose shoe. I think if you're doing a lot of anything specific, you want a shoe to fit it - so if you do a lot of running, you'll want a running shoe.

They worked great for lifting, to a point. Once I got into heavier weights, the soles were too squishy to be supportive and I got some dedicated lifting shoes.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Adiabatic posted:

Good lifting day today, felt great.

Good workout!

Worked up to a not-so-great 155×4 on shoulder presses (cheated a little on the way up, did negatives) just to feel some heavy-ish weight, ended with five sets of 105×10, one minute rest period. I did maybe a bit too much volume overall, but I hate working such a small muscle group, it never feels like a productive day.

Triceps were skullcrushers on a slight incline, rope extensions, bent-bar extensions while leaning with upper arms perpendicular to torso. Sorta half-assed it, shoulda done another exercise.

Use straps for traps. If you're building grip and don't want to use straps, at least buy (or make) some Liquid Chalk. My grip fails at mid-200s double-overhand without it, but I can get a few reps at three plates with it. Alternate-grip with LQ I've pulled 385×7.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Dennis McClaren posted:

Maybe best to wear straps when doing Shrugs. Straps for shrugs ONLY unless you one day start DLing super heavy and stuff.
After all, when you're training your Traps, you're there to train Traps - not your grip. Get some straps, shrug hard, and watch those mountains start holding up your tee shirt. Feels good.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Use straps for traps. If you're building grip and don't want to use straps, at least buy (or make) some Liquid Chalk. My grip fails at mid-200s double-overhand without it, but I can get a few reps at three plates with it. Alternate-grip with LQ I've pulled 385×7.

Thanks yall! I will grab some straps and try some chalk as well.

I tried a 300x1 DL with a bunch of friends that are way smaller and less fit than I was. We were drinking and "bro-ing out" which involves lifting and yelling like Ahnold a bunch. Anywho my grip failed me where theirs did not, and plenty of derision and attention to my tiny wrists followed.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Adiabatic posted:

I tried a 300x1 DL with a bunch of friends that are way smaller and less fit than I was. We were drinking and "bro-ing out" which involves lifting and yelling like Ahnold a bunch. Anywho my grip failed me where theirs did not, and plenty of derision and attention to my tiny wrists followed.

Double-overhand or alternate grip?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Adiabatic posted:

These things you quoted contradict each other. Build your grip up first without straps, IMO.

Edit: ah only for shrugs. :shrug:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I use straps and chalk for my deadlifts. I don't give a gently caress, my grip gives out long before everything else.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Double-overhand or alternate grip?

Alternate :negative:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Larrymer posted:

These things you quoted contradict each other. Build your grip up first without straps, IMO.

Edit: ah only for shrugs. :shrug:

More using both. I'd like grip strength but it's not too huge a deal, so I'll try the chalk out with deadlifting and straps for traps. If the chalk ain't working I'll go straps for everything I suppose.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Right.
I need to sort myself out, which has been a continuous status for a while now, though it turns out I'm not quite as bad as I thought.

Current weight: 307lbs (139.5kg). Sounds bad, but I thought I was 330+, so eh. Personal peak is about 355. I'm 6'2"-6'3"ish.
Goal: Lower weight. I've clawed myself down from more than this to sub-200 before, but at that point I was in my 20s, and Rocky isn't joking about nothing hitting harder than life - ten years smacking you upside the head is a hell of a thing. We shall see, but I want to be firmly in the 200s. I'm not actually that bothered by scale weight, and tend not to weigh myself much, but I might do so every now and then.
Plan: Lower carbs, high protein, and self-loathing. I should probably drink less, too. But I want to be trying to keep myself to >100g carbs and <200g protein per day by decent margins. Calories likely around 2000. I've tidied up my gym and need to start lifting again.

Not really aiming for lifting "targets" as I'm currently going to be pretty drat weak, having not touched this stuff for a while. I have about 400lbs in plates, so if I can get back to deadlifting that for 8+ rep sets, I'll probably be doing ok enough not to be annoyed about it. Main thing is to be fitting into smaller clothes and retaining 17-18" arms that aren't mostly cake. I'll try and do a baseline of what I can currently lift tomorrow after work.

Also, no straps, ever. If I can't lift it, I can't lift it. If I can't do reps, I can't lift it. Will try to avoid cheat reps for ego purposes, but we'll see. My ankle mobility for squats is going to be loving embarrassing.

Personal message for Enourmo: I've previously gone from where you are to 190-ish. It's doable, and starting as a big bastard gives you an inate strength benefit over race whippets or pasty, skinny nerds. Do it now while you're younger, and FFS don't slack off and let yourself go back to where you were (or close to).

Also, watch more BroScienceLife. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEGySOH35-g

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Ouch. Turns out doing nothing but riding a bike for that last 5 months makes me not so good at anything else. Did some squats, less weight than when I was doing it in the winter/spring, and that was enough for today. Although the air is clearing up so I might go for a quick and easy ride.

E- got out for an hour and a half on the bike too, which makes me feel better about the sitting around, snacking, and moping about the lovely air I did earlier.

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 20, 2018

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Yeow.

Get ye some Liquid Chalk.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

QuarkMartial posted:

Nike Air Monarch IV have served me well as a general purpose shoe. I think if you're doing a lot of anything specific, you want a shoe to fit it - so if you do a lot of running, you'll want a running shoe.

They worked great for lifting, to a point. Once I got into heavier weights, the soles were too squishy to be supportive and I got some dedicated lifting shoes.

Everything I do is generally light duty. I'm just trying to stay fit, not bulk or power lift or run weekly 5Ks. I will check them out.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Unless you're going for full on raised heel powerlifting shoes, the advice I always heard was to go for the polar opposite: chucks or straight-up barefoot. Worked ok for me, I did a deadlift srm of 405 in chucks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Enourmo posted:

Unless you're going for full on raised heel powerlifting shoes, the advice I always heard was to go for the polar opposite: chucks or straight-up barefoot. Worked ok for me, I did a deadlift srm of 405 in chucks.

Nah, none of that over here. I doubt I will ever put more than 100lbs up in the air. The Zig's were wonderful and I'm kind of hoping I find some leftovers when we're in Chicago this weekend as there's multiple Reebok stores and outlets in the areas we'll be visiting.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Back when I wasn't perpetually sitting on my rear end, my prefered lifting shoe were Vibrams. Don't worry, I don't take myself seriously either.

Current weight: ~210lbs @ 6'3. I'm a really soft 210. I felt my best when I was active and 190-200 and probably ~7% lower body fat.

Goal: Goddamnit move. I've been a desk jockey for about 7 years straight now and was on and off before that. At my strongest I was deadlifting around 345, Squatting ~250 (maybe 275? I can't remember) and my bench has always been poo poo. It was around body weight. This was 4 years ago. I was also able to crack out a 5k in ~30 minutes which was tolerable. I'd like to do a 25 minute or lower 5k eventually.

Plan: Gym at lunch, starting tomorrow, unless I get stuck on a call. I gotta. Alternating days of cardio and lifting. Probably a 5x8 type lifting plan.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

PULL SUMO, EAT BUTT.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I've gone through a few sets of new balance minimus trail running shoes and really like them. Super light with a grippy off-road tread. They make regular running and cross training versions as well, and they don't have a lot of cushion so that should be good for weighs and also running form. Only downside is that you might have some sore feet at first from running or long hikes/walks.

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 20, 2018

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Enourmo posted:

Depends... on, well, a lot. I don't run, but I understand that if you take up running, you want the right shoe for it. For weightlifting, it really depends on the lift, preference, and so on. Generally, for squats an elevated heel is preferred and for deadlifts a flat foot (or bare foot) is preferred. Like I said, I didn't feel the need for lifting shoes until I got into heavier weights and could feel the soles in my Nikes get very squishy and feel unstable - made me try to correct and my knees hurt.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

NumbersMatching320 posted:

The AI uniform is cargo shorts and band shirts, MCU shirts or blipshifts and no more needs to be said.
(Edit: forgot MCU thanks 14", DC is not acceptable tho)

Cargo shorts and a polo with the company name on it, check.

Also twisted the poo poo out of my ankle hiking earlier today. Gonna limp my way into this week.

QuarkMartial posted:

I lift in Chucks for that reason. Cheap, machine washable, and minimal cushion. I'm heavy enough that me + my working squat load is pushing 500lbs, and that makes things get unstable real fast if my shoes are soft-soled.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Aug 20, 2018

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I am in South Boston, VA [see: bumfuck] all this week and also coming down with something sinus related. This will not deter me from finding a gym with a weekly rate, and infecting the good people of Southern Virginia so that we may hopefully begin the process of creating a race of genetically altered super-hilbillies.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ugh.

The first shift supervisor brought in McDonalds breakfast stuff for everyone and I ate 4 bites of a bacon, egg & cheese bagel and I might die.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
First time back in my gym, did some arm stuff. Managed a 4x8 on both bench (70kg/154lbs) and standing barbell curl (40kg/88lbs). Last rep or two of each just about did for me. Could be worse though.

Also, loving protein, man. Hard to concentrate on form when your arse decides it's time for HornOfGondor.wav

Found I had half a tub of creatine in the kitchen, too, bonus.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Today: Back day. Legs are not yet at peak DOMS from getting back into squats, but we're getting there. Plan today: rows, different rows, more different rows, pullsdowns, different pulldowns, then a few curl variations for biceps. May substitute weighted pullups in there somewhere.

Edit: Hurdles for the day include "getting to the gym and then realizing I had to be somewhere by four." Back day was weighted pullups (bodyweight x 10, 25 x 8, 45 x 5/5/4, 20 x 6, 10 x 6, bodyweight x 7/6), pronated lat pulls, supinated lat pulls, and then GTFO. loving sucks. Maybe I can go back this evening and do the other 2/3 of the workout.

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 20, 2018

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Did 35 minutes on the elliptical yesterday, and of all things my pecs are sore today.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
https://www.strava.com/activities/1784663742

Gonna ramp up this week.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Those are some strange power estimates.

Air quality here this morning "unheathy." But it's raining and air is trending better as the afternoon goes on. Right now my riding strategy is go out whenever the air is decent for as long as possible. Yesterday I got in a few miles before dark. I need to do some intervals and a lot of cyclocross practice in the next month or so, and will be happy if I can keep up at least 12hrs a week and stay under 165lbs. And do running remounts a little better.

jamal fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 20, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

gently caress it, maybe some accountability will make me stick with it this time.

GOAL: 240 or less, because I've loving been there and I know I can get down at least that far. Longer term C25K if my knees don't tell me to go gently caress myself like they have the last two times I've tried.
Current: Probably 300. I literally don't know where my bathroom scale went.

Portion control alone got me down to 240 last time I was up this high.

Trip report: So far so good on actually logging food, as well as actually not eating all the food when doing so.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Rock climbing is muuuuuch harder than I remember it being. My hands gave out after less than 35 minutes on the autobelays and I bouldered until I just couldn't grip the handholds anymore. I'd also prefer to go barefoot, but you know, health stuff means that I can't at a gym

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Adiabatic posted:

I am in South Boston, VA [see: bumfuck] all this week and also coming down with something sinus related. This will not deter me from finding a gym with a weekly rate, and infecting the good people of Southern Virginia so that we may hopefully begin the process of creating a race of genetically altered super-hilbillies.

As a gym-goer and odd-time gym-worker myself, don't go to the gym when you're sick plzkthx. It's an excellent place to make everyone else who goes there sick, which is kind of a dick move.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

MrChips posted:

As a gym-goer and odd-time gym-worker myself, don't go to the gym when you're sick plzkthx. It's an excellent place to make everyone else who goes there sick, which is kind of a dick move.

Yeah all I'm doing when I get to ny room is room service and a shitload of sleep.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Okay, fine.

I have a home gym (This One) and I should be using it. I need a workout routine for something balanced. Can anyone point me to a website for setting up a basic balanced routine day by day? Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Didn't get poo poo done yesterday because it was pissing down rain all day, but it's going to be 70 and clear this morning so I figure I can get in at least 5k.