Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

E: sniped

tbp posted:

i been thinking something about the story for a little while and want to know if yal think its a real dumb idea

but when we inevitably get to the big battle vs the league, i have kinda thought that deku would be depowered prior to this point or immediately leading up to it. the main reason i thought so was because in terms of 1 v1 battles, shigarakis quirk is kinda... not really able to do anything vs OFA and even though this series does defy some of those common things i imagine that a battle of the "sons" will take place at the end. shigarakis quirk itself doesn't really lend itself towards any sort of big anime battle at all, really, it's just.. i win if i touch you

we've been introduced to the idea of people fighting quirkless (mirio) and being depowered already. i figured maybe deku might even pass it on out of necessity and then get hit with one of those bullets or whatever. but the main point i really had was that i can't see how they set up that final fight because deku even at like 20% should realistically be able to just blitz and blow shigaraki back pretty quickly in a 1 on 1 fight

I'm almost positive that AfO is going to pass his entire quirk onto Shigaraki before series end, so we won't have an issue of Deku fighting someone with a quirk ill-suited to fighting OfA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Deku and Shigaraki both lose their quirks at the end and the final battle is just a regular rear end fist fight.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

then it will truly be green naruto

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Shigaraki might have awakened his devil fruit by that point and can just shoot disintegration lasers or something.

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013
Shigaraki's quirk is specifically "if I put all five fingers around something, it disintegrates", which he might NOT want to do if he's planning on just capturing Deku anyway, so uh

I do foresee his power being taken away too just because that often happens before a significant powerup. We'll get a powerless, pathetic mano-a-mano fight in a snowy field.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Phimose Knight posted:

I do foresee his power being taken away too just because that often happens before a significant powerup. We'll get a powerless, pathetic mano-a-mano fight in a snowy field.

Quirkless UA Student Beats Young Man to Death With Bare Hands

retires to beach shortly after

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

JahRoo posted:

E: sniped

I'm almost positive that AfO is going to pass his entire quirk onto Shigaraki before series end, so we won't have an issue of Deku fighting someone with a quirk ill-suited to fighting OfA.

I don't think he can pass it on since that was his brothers quirk.

I think that Twice made a copy of AfO and that is who is still making the Nomus and who passed on the warp quirk to Ujiko. Problem with the copy is that they are fragile which is why AfO had to confront All Might with his real body. The copy existing is why AfO didn't care too much about giving himself up cause he knew that his removal from the board still didn't cost Shigaraki the use of his powers.

If that's what's happening then Shigaraki could get powered up at any point by the copy. Problem being the limitation that the more quirks added the more it taxes the recipient's brain. Also that Shigaraki isn't a frontline fighter anyway so direct confrontation isn't likely to be his choice.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Rouncer posted:

If that's what's happening then Shigaraki could get powered up at any point by the copy. Problem being the limitation that the more quirks added the more it taxes the recipient's brain. Also that Shigaraki isn't a frontline fighter anyway so direct confrontation isn't likely to be his choice.

If it ever happens it'll probably a big revelation, like everyone will think Shigaraki is defeated because his powers are close-range and suddenly new quirk.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i wonder what the LoV is trying to do with the noumus exactly. both t he main story and vigilantes have had the villians experimenting with drugs and body modifications to enhance quirks and turn ordinary 1-quirk people into juggernauts, and the two main nomus were experiments on test runs, with high end having like 8 quirks and also some measure of intelligence. are they trying to get to the point where ordinary people can store multiple quirks? are they trying to refine their tech so they can mass produce nomus as foot soldiers? do they want to be able to turn people into nomus and have them still be intelligent?

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Rouncer posted:

I don't think he can pass it on since that was his brothers quirk.

We know that AfO allows transferral of quirks, the only reason he wouldn’t be able to is if the transferral ability is limited to *other* quirks and not itself, which hasn’t been specified.

AfO has made explicit reference to collecting quirks that would suit shigaraki (remarking that he didn’t want to take best jeanists quirk for this reason), so we know at least that he plans to hand off some powers to him. To me it only makes sense if he can hand off the whole thing, because otherwise it would blow shigarakis brain to bits.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

twice's backstory is so hosed up....makes me cry everytime....

https://twitter.com/emaginaryplaces/status/1031248520160980993?s=19

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

JahRoo posted:

We know that AfO allows transferral of quirks, the only reason he wouldn’t be able to is if the transferral ability is limited to *other* quirks and not itself, which hasn’t been specified.

AfO has made explicit reference to collecting quirks that would suit shigaraki (remarking that he didn’t want to take best jeanists quirk for this reason), so we know at least that he plans to hand off some powers to him. To me it only makes sense if he can hand off the whole thing, because otherwise it would blow shigarakis brain to bits.

One could argue that he means "suiting him" in regards to his plans and methods. In particular, it's a more immediate and direct plan rather than something that would allow prolonged efforts for mastery.

However, that seems less likely.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Phimose Knight posted:

Shigaraki's quirk is specifically "if I put all five fingers around something, it disintegrates"

that's just one of his hands quirks

Shigaraki's quirk is being able to use other people's quirks, and we've seen him use some outside of the disintegration (the one I remember most was that super speed quirk he used back during the first VA attack), it's just that disintegration is his most powerful move

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
What

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Shigaraki's quirk is being able to use other people's quirks, and we've seen him use some outside of the disintegration (the one I remember most was that super speed quirk he used back during the first VA attack), it's just that disintegration is his most powerful move

this is never stated anywhere

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

SatansBestBuddy posted:

That's just a fan theory, him moving fast at UA is the same as Toga or Eraserhead being fast.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

sirtommygunn posted:

That's just a fan theory, him moving fast at UA is the same as Toga or Eraserhead being fast.

Yah the hands are just...Him being a scared broken child that presumably hurt someone with his quirk by accident and when you've got death hands and a lot of hatred for the world in yourself hands become a bit of a fixation point.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

That's not a Quirk, he's just that fast.

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013
lol

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

tbp posted:

i been thinking something about the story for a little while and want to know if yal think its a real dumb idea

but when we inevitably get to the big battle vs the league, i have kinda thought that deku would be depowered prior to this point or immediately leading up to it. the main reason i thought so was because in terms of 1 v1 battles, shigarakis quirk is kinda... not really able to do anything vs OFA and even though this series does defy some of those common things i imagine that a battle of the "sons" will take place at the end. shigarakis quirk itself doesn't really lend itself towards any sort of big anime battle at all, really, it's just.. i win if i touch you

we've been introduced to the idea of people fighting quirkless (mirio) and being depowered already. i figured maybe deku might even pass it on out of necessity and then get hit with one of those bullets or whatever. but the main point i really had was that i can't see how they set up that final fight because deku even at like 20% should realistically be able to just blitz and blow shigaraki back pretty quickly in a 1 on 1 fight

the final fight is going to be deku vs an all for one who either steals or somehow uses Eri's power to reverse himself to his prime.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Oooh, if we are sharing our silly theories about future story of MHA, I got one too that's somewhat similar to tbps:

Deku will be at some point, maybe even in the next few arcs, hit by a Quirk erasing bullet. However, it will turn out that One for All quirk is specifically stockpiling power and passing itself on, while the power itself is a byproduct of the quirk, similar to Momos items for example and thus, is not erased. Story-wise, this will make Deku the last holder of One for All and make it clear that he is the one who will have to defeat All for One for good (or All for Ones successor, if the story decides to go that way). It will also have a practical effect of limiting Dekus power to a sane level, without having to address the fact that he should eventually become stronger than All Might in his prime.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The final battle will be all of 1-A working together to beat the poo poo out of a Shigaraki who's drunk on All For One's power.

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

Elfgames posted:

the final fight is going to be deku vs an all for one who either steals or somehow uses Eri's power to reverse himself to his prime.

Actually that shouldn't work based on what happened during Deku's fight with Overhaul. Eri kept healing him but she never managed to reverse the damage that had been done to his arms.

What's really stupid is why was Overhaul working so hard to bring back the Yakusa through torturing Eri when his power was enough to do it and then some. How much money would someone throw at him considering his power could basically cure any disease? Especially if he stuck to doing it secretly black market style. He could charge millions and people would happily pay it when the alternative would be watching themselves or a loved one die of something like cancer or AIDs. Talk about an easy way to gather political influence too if you are lacking in the morals department.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Overhaul probably wouldn't have been able to get over how unclean they all were and murdered someone sooner rather than later.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Overhaul was, perhaps not coincidentally, a huge moron.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

overhaul thought quirks were a disease that needed to be cured. that's why he was so fixated on using eri

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Rouncer posted:

Actually that shouldn't work based on what happened during Deku's fight with Overhaul. Eri kept healing him but she never managed to reverse the damage that had been done to his arms.

She never had the chance. He kept breaking himself over and over again by using way more of OfA than he could handle. This was explictly because her Quick was going haywire and she couldn't control it. His arms would have been healed if the opportunity came up... and then Deku himself would've been gone because she would've rewound him to before he was born. Like she did to her dad in the first place.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, Overhaul saw the rise of superhero society and superpowers in general as what killed the yakuza, which isn't exactly inaccurate, and given his emotional attachment to the former yakuza head and other issues, rather than try to adapt he fixated on returning things to how they used to be, hence Eri and destroying quirks and all that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 minutes!

Nephthys posted:

It'll be interesting to see 1-B in action a bit more since a lot of them do seem to be heavily outclassed by 1-A. They certainly haven't shown anything like what powerhouses like Todoroki, Bakugo or Deku bring to the table. Hope this arc makes them seem a bit more formidable without being unbelievable.

Also yes I was right about Aizawa training Shinso! I was really hoping this would be true!

Monoma's power is easily on par, particularly once you factor in its versatility, and thorn girl also seemed very impressive.

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah, Overhaul saw the rise of superhero society and superpowers in general as what killed the yakuza, which isn't exactly inaccurate, and given his emotional attachment to the former yakuza head and other issues, rather than try to adapt he fixated on returning things to how they used to be, hence Eri and destroying quirks and all that.

Except that wasn’t his plan. He planned on profiting from selling the quirk erasing bullet to the villains and then selling the cure to the heros. Basically being an arms dealer and profitting from both sides of the conflict.

What’s stupid is he was using his quirk constantly to break down Eri when he could have been healing people for a million bucks a pop instead through some sort of black market clinic setting just like the yakusa was perfectly positioned to operate.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i don't think overhaul could cure diseases like aids or cancer. he can reset lacerations or broken bones or whatever but the kind of people who need back alley doctors for battle wounds probably don't have a million bucks to throw around in the post all might days.

also part of the quirk eraser bullets plan is that they would be able to use them on any heroes that tried to take the gang down, which wouldn't be the case if overhaul was a back alley plastic surgeon or something. the raid would never have worked if they had enough bullets for all the heroes.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Oooh, if we are sharing our silly theories about future story of MHA, I got one too that's somewhat similar to tbps:

Deku will be at some point...

On a similar subject, and as a point I've brought up before, I notice that Deku's opening intro always say that it's the story of him becoming "the greatest hero." This is notably distinct from how All Might, Endeavor, and others were the "No. 1 hero." The title of "greatest hero" seems like something that overrides rankings, and it's hard to imagine that it could come from defeating any individual villain, even All for One or Shigaraki's alliance. Deku's going to do something that far surpasses any number of rescues and villains put away, and also even more than becoming a symbol that quells crime just by his mere presence. As such, it seems like he's fated to effect some groundbreaking societal change.
That, plus the series name, implies that he's going to basically revamp Quirk society while still in or shortly after school.

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

Stexils posted:

i don't think overhaul could cure diseases like aids or cancer. he can reset lacerations or broken bones or whatever but the kind of people who need back alley doctors for battle wounds probably don't have a million bucks to throw around in the post all might days.

also part of the quirk eraser bullets plan is that they would be able to use them on any heroes that tried to take the gang down, which wouldn't be the case if overhaul was a back alley plastic surgeon or something. the raid would never have worked if they had enough bullets for all the heroes.

Reread chapter 130. Sir Nighteye says that Overhaul cured the gang members of cavities and rheumatism. Basically they were remade into perfect health.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

"cavities and joint pain" is different from cancer and aids

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

Stexils posted:

"cavities and joint pain" is different from cancer and aids

How much would someone paralyzed give to walk again? It’s a moot point but just seems stupid that neither Overhaul nor the yakusa boss ever really seemed to consider the profit potential of using his quirk to heal those they wanted or who paid to be healed.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Perhaps Overhaul just considered Operation Dismember a Kindergartner more fun than fixing a dude's spine.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

the point was more to make the yakuza important than just to make money for overhaul. like yeah he could just be a doctor but the gang would just be a bunch of guards for him as opposed to an organization. the meatbullet plan would have turned the entire gang into a major player in society

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i'm more annoyed that the story never called Overhaul out on the hypocrisy of him using the hell out of his overpowered Quirk in his plan to eliminate all Quirks until five or six pages before he was dis-armed and ejected from the story completely

the guy's character was such a load of nothing

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Overhaul's purpose was to provide an opponent for the kids to have their first fights as proper semi-licensed heroes and provide a short-sighted villain for Shigaraki to style on. Shigaraki wasn't as good or organized of a leader as Overhaul, but Overhaul never really thought big outside of revitalizing the mob. He could've done any number of greater things if he had more ambition, which Shigaraki does (completely tearing society down is an order of magnitude beyond using quirk-killer bullets and their cure to re-establish the mob).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Funky Valentine posted:

Perhaps Overhaul just considered Operation Dismember a Kindergartner more fun than fixing a dude's spine.

Obligatory: