Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

The_Doctor posted:

Odds on Tennant/Capaldi making cameos?

You would think Tennant would be a dead cert given they've worked with him before he was the Doctor, had him in for a couple of boxes, and apparently have a third one coming out based on convention talk

Capaldi seems less likely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

The_Doctor posted:

She's from West Yorkshire. That's the North.

According to people in the south who haven't ever been north of Oxford. She's from the midlands.

(It should be noted that Christopher Eccleston is not from the north either)

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Aug 20, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MrL_JaKiri posted:

According to people in the south who haven't ever been north of Oxford. She's from the midlands.

You have some very weird personal definition of the North then.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

MY IMMERSION

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

Nobody living south of Dunnet Head can be a true northerner.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Box of Bunnies posted:

I wanted to make a joke about Timelord Anthony calling everyone in for his birthday but then I saw that they're actually doing River meets Benny and was too excited to be pithy

:dance:

About time!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Guys, guys don’t argue, you are all soft southerners for living anywhere in England.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!

marktheando posted:

Guys, guys don’t argue, you are all soft southerners for living anywhere in England.

This reminds me of the time I had to patiently explain to a confused fellow American why the Irish lady she was talking to had just taken great offense at being asked "so are you from England?"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

But we can all agree there are plenty of true Scotsmen, right?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Writers for S11:

https://twitter.com/dwpageofficial/status/1031491339236651009

Next BR set?

https://twitter.com/TheCyberdevil/status/1031460440616968192

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Huh, with Malorie Blackman there, I feel infinitely better about the Rosa Parks episode. She's a very good writer.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

This reminds me of the time I had to patiently explain to a confused fellow American why the Irish lady she was talking to had just taken great offense at being asked "so are you from England?"

One of my co-workers when I worked in insurance said to an Irish UPS guy "Oh, I just had a vacation there! We were in London!" He said "Actually, I'm Irish," and hoo boy, would she not relent. That UPS guy had the patience of a saint for explaining, very slowly and in words that she could understand, that they were different countries. The woman was in her 50s, I have no idea how she survived a trip to London.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

One that's common among people who live in the actual north. To sway into politics for a second, the definition of the north which includes Manchester (which is pretty solidly in the middle third of the country, about 60% of the way up) has meant that any government spending "for the north" has gone to the bits people from London go to, which means Manchester and maybe Leeds at a stretch. County Durham, which is one of the poorest parts of Europe and is about a hundred miles north of what you described as "the North", gets nothing except massive spending cuts.

On top of that, the areas starting around Stockton, including Darlington, Durham, Sunderland, Newcastle, and on to places like Alnwick, also have a very different culture and political background to Sheffield, Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool, as does Cumbria.

Although England's problems with defining what "The North" is are nothing compared to France's, where the North starts around Lyon.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Running through their IMDB pages, I'm unfamiliar with almost all their work, which should be interesting. McTigue and Chibnall are the only ones with extensive TV experience it looks like, so this is absolutely the definition of fresh blood and new ideas. Vinay Patel in particular seems like an up-and-coming screenwriter with some real talent, and Malorie Blackman seems like the perfect kind of writer for the material, given the topics of her novels. I'm excited! Looks like a great team.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Need a date for the premiere

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Sweet. I'll be glad to replace all my DVD sets with these blu-rays to make more room on my shelves.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Need a date for the premiere

Yeah, we're less than two weeks from September here. When's my Doctor Who airing?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I'm frum West Yorkshire. It's int North. Owt below Woodall services is int Midlands, ort South.

(Although I've lived on the South Coast for 25 years now, so it took real effort to work out the phonetics!)

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Malorie Blackman's Noughts & Crosses means so much to me. I grew up in a v white area and went to a bigoted private school. The books were sensitive and kind in giving me the inner world and external tragedies of how many people actually experience this dead dumb earth. I still remember the last scene of the first book and also the put upon idealistic lawyer with the messy desk in the lovely neighbourhood, feeling so hopeless against steely systematic oppression. I'm so happy she is crossing my path again <3

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
If you're a Londoner, anyone living above Essex is from the North and probably poor.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Lampsacus posted:

Malorie Blackman's Noughts & Crosses means so much to me. I grew up in a v white area and went to a bigoted private school. The books were sensitive and kind in giving me the inner world and external tragedies of how many people actually experience this dead dumb earth. I still remember the last scene of the first book and also the put upon idealistic lawyer with the messy desk in the lovely neighbourhood, feeling so hopeless against steely systematic oppression. I'm so happy she is crossing my path again <3

My boyfriend is very happy for similar reasons. Her books and Whizziwig did it for him.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lampsacus posted:

Hmm, not sure about this... providing hope in the face of seemingly insurmountable oppression? That doesn't sound very Doctor Who. ;)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jesus. Stay away from Twitter right now. Apparently, some of the "old" fans of Who are having a go at some of the "new" fans of Who for finding some of the aspects of "Weng Chiang" problematic.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CityMidnightJunky posted:

If you're a Londoner, anyone living above Essex is from the North and probably poor.

I must confess I've developed a bit of a dislike of London in the time I've been living here these past few months. It's too loud, too crowded, too noisy and too hot. I will be happy to back home again (Belfast) when my year here is up. Much nicer.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I must confess I've developed a bit of a dislike of London in the time I've been living here these past few months. It's too loud, too crowded, too noisy and too hot. I will be happy to back home again (Belfast) when my year here is up. Much nicer.

2007 I moved from London to Baton Rouge, Louisiana for uni, and came back in 2011. Now I've had enough again of London for very similar reasons although adding in 'too expensive', and am uprooting to Berlin very soon (while I still can... thanks, Brexit).

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I enjoy loud and crowded but "expensive" is unfortunately the reason it's hard to live in most cities.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Davros1 posted:

Jesus. Stay away from Twitter right now. Apparently, some of the "old" fans of Who are having a go at some of the "new" fans of Who for finding some of the aspects of "Weng Chiang" problematic.

What could be offensive about a man in yellowface doing an outrageously stereotypical accent

(And is Gareth Roberts on the side of the oldies, because he's the most hateful idiot)

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Davros1 posted:

Jesus. Stay away from Twitter right now.

Evergreen advice

Old Who fans (the bad ones) have been defensive of Weng Chiang for years. Honestly, as much as the yellowface irritates me it’s the Doctor participating in the racism (“little men” and “epicanthic eyebrows,” jeezus) that left the worst taste in my mouth.

It also has Leela’s one really egregious moment of being damseled, just to ice the poo poo on a little more

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I really like The Talons of Weng-Chiang for a lot of reasons (Jago & Litefoot, Four being Sherlock Holmes, the Victorian setting works well for having us identify more with Leela's "savage" sensibilities rather than the "civilized ones," etc, etc), but that doesn't excuse its racism. I don't know why people find it so hard to admit that stuff they like has problems.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

I don't know why people find it so hard to admit that stuff they like has problems.

Some people just have racist attitudes and that's all there is to it with them, but I think a lot of people fall into this fallacious position where they decide that being a fan of something - even something that's otherwise very good like "Talons" - means they have to defend even the indefensible parts of it. That doesn't really seem to be the case here, though.

Russell T Davies has described "Talons" as one of his all-time favourite Who stories and I doubt he would hesitate to acknowledge that there is racism in it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

misadventurous posted:

Evergreen advice

Old Who fans (the bad ones) have been defensive of Weng Chiang for years. Honestly, as much as the yellowface irritates me it’s the Doctor participating in the racism (“little men” and “epicanthic eyebrows,” jeezus) that left the worst taste in my mouth.

It also has Leela’s one really egregious moment of being damseled, just to ice the poo poo on a little more

It's especially galling because we had the Third Doctor engage with a Chinese military officer who happened to be a woman (AND ACTUALLY ASIAN- not sure if she was Chinese or not but she wasn't White!) and

You know

Not be a racist poo poo head

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Cruel Rose posted:

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-the-legacy-of-time

Big Finish is celebrating 20 years of audios with a huge crossover next year. Everyone is here!

The Sixth Doctor and his companion Charlotte Pollard

I really hope that's a typo because otherwise that gigantic crack noise you heard was my brain trying to process how that pairing would even go.

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 20, 2018

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, we're less than two weeks from September here. When's my Doctor Who airing?

it's doctor who not doctor when :smug:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

The Sixth Doctor and his companion Charlotte Pollard

I really hope that's a typo because otherwise that gigantic crack noise you heard was my brain trying to process how that pairing would even go.

Still early in the Main Range, I take it. You're in for some surprises. ;)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bicyclops posted:

Still early in the Main Range, I take it. You're in for some surprises. ;)

I got as far as Zagraius and the start of the Divergent universe before I hit the end of what's free on Spotify from main range. Now I have to pay money and I'm extremely cheap :sigh:

At least I still have Master and Davros left! I skipped Flip Flop though, just from what little I've heard I feel like my brain would eat itself trying to get to the end of both discs.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The argument for Talons seems to be: "Well, it was acceptable back then, so just go with it", and the more egregious one "I know someone who's Chinese and they don't think it's racist, so it's ok". Which is bollocks.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Jodie’s from Skelmanthorpe near Denby Dale. Denby Dale railway station is operated by Northern. Hence she’s from the North. :colbert:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

"We must assess racism and sexism based upon the times in which their creators expressed those sentiments" is so often code for "It's old-ish, so anything goes!" too. Burkion's right, too, Doctor Who itself already had a history of being better, the 70s isn't an excuse.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Talons is one of my favorite Who stories, but boy howdy there is a ton of racist poo poo in it and you'd be a fool to claim otherwise.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Sweet. I'll be glad to replace all my DVD sets with these blu-rays to make more room on my shelves.

Yep, so long as they keep all the extras that came with the DVDs in the first place. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

I skipped Flip Flop though, just from what little I've heard I feel like my brain would eat itself trying to get to the end of both discs.

I mean, half the plot can be summed up as "alien invasion via political correctness" so, you know, did you really want to listen to it anyway?

• Locked thread