Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Kevin Spacey's new film made $126

https://mashable.com/2018/08/18/kevin-spacey-billionaire-boys-club-box-office/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lmfao

Well add another 13bux to it b/c I'ma go see it for Emma Roberts

j/k I'm going to wait til I CAN VERY LEGALLY BUY IT, WITH MONEY

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's super creepy.

but not as creepy as paul walker starting his relationship with his gf when he was 33 and she was 15. which nobody talked about until after he died for some reason.

Have they sorted out the details of that one yet? I've seen people claim that they met when she was 15 but didn't start actually dating for another two years which yes is still terrible but is that still illegal?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s probably not illegal to date an underage person, right? Only the sex is.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vegetable posted:

It’s probably not illegal to date an underage person, right? Only the sex is.

I've never been in a situation where I needed to find this out.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Could be classed as grooming, maybe? Either way, creepy as all hell.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, the issue with it is not whether it's legal or not.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well with Walker it's def sketchy as hell. With Affleck, she's an adult.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rhyno posted:

Have they sorted out the details of that one yet? I've seen people claim that they met when she was 15 but didn't start actually dating for another two years which yes is still terrible but is that still illegal?

i've heard both they didn't start dating until she was 17 or that they were dating when she was 15 but it didn't turn sexual until she was adult (lol ok). either way i'm walker's age when they met and a 17 year old is a child to me. i can't even imagine pulling a cook and dating a 19 year old.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 19, 2018

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I always assumed Dane Cook never aged given that he is time-capsule of the year 2006.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
When you think about it, a 19-year-old dating a man with a mental age of 14 is highly problematic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

When you think about it, a 19-year-old dating a man with a mental age of 14 is highly problematic.

Ben Affleck is not actually Batman.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

So, this news story about Asia Argento sexually assaulting a 17 year old just broke.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

from the article posted:

That claim and the subsequent arrangement for payments are laid out in documents between lawyers for Ms. Argento and Mr. Bennett, a former child actor who once played her son in a movie.

Jesus.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

It gets "better", they referred to each other as mom and son irl too

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Krankenstyle posted:

It gets "better", they referred to each other as mom and son irl too

Son let me suck you off? Wow. Sick.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Oh boy, I do not want to read the comments underneath that article.

It's especially hosed up to do this to a kid you've known and worked with since he was like 6. :gonk:

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
That's a hell of a story. If the account told there is to be believed, she just straight up jumped the guy.

They were going to anyway, but any opposers of #metoo are going to have a field day with that one.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Now we know why Bourdain just bailed on life, jesus.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Southpaugh posted:

Ah now. I don't think that's it. The article says he knew about it.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Didn’t Argento sign one of those open letters defending Roman Polonski?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Southpaugh posted:

Timeline is pretty much "Bourdain was helping her negotiate the settlement for this at the exact same time as he was calling Weinstein a monster", right

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Nckdictator posted:

Didn’t Argento sign one of those open letters defending Roman Polonski?

She did, but then backtracked saying she didn't know the facts of what he was accused of.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Article doesn't say one way or the other whether Bordain knew about it; it just kind of leads you to that conclusion.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
It was 9 years ago back when we were all just signing things willy-nilly. Natalie Portman did too.

Also just because Bourdain was her boyfriend doesn't mean he was helping her negotiate this? I mean they were both mature adults with businesses and careers and lawyers and whatnot.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MorgaineDax posted:

Article doesn't say one way or the other whether Bordain knew about it; it just kind of leads you to that conclusion.

Hmm, I wonder why this article is written in such a way.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Hmm, I wonder why this article is written in such a way.

At least it’s a better conspiracy theory than the ones saying Weinstein had Bourdain murdered to send a threat to Argento.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

At least it’s a better conspiracy theory than the ones saying Weinstein had Bourdain murdered to send a threat to Argento.

But is it better than the one where Hillary had Bourdain killed because he was going to come out in support of Trump?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Davros1 posted:

But is it better than the one where Hillary had Bourdain killed because he was going to come out in support of Trump?

Given how vocal he was about rising authoritarianism and how much of an obvious liberal he was (when he met Ted Nugent he specifically said that he was on the opposite end politically among a laundry list of other moments) that one seems like a particular stretch. But never put it past QAnon psychos to make up the weirdest poo poo....

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It was 9 years ago back when we were all just signing things willy-nilly. Natalie Portman did too.

Also just because Bourdain was her boyfriend doesn't mean he was helping her negotiate this? I mean they were both mature adults with businesses and careers and lawyers and whatnot.

It's certainly vague, given that it says he was helping her 'navigate' the process. But until someone comments officially I don't think it'll ever really come out.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Finding out that you left your wife/kid to hook up with this woman who then turns out to, assuming this is all true, be a bit of a real creepo could be really destructive to your psyche.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

AlternateAccount posted:

Finding out that you left your wife/kid to hook up with this woman who then turns out to, assuming this is all true, be a bit of a real creepo could be really destructive to your psyche.

Let's not go down this road.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Let's not go down this road.

Totally agreed.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

So, Asia Argento issued a rebuttal and... Well I think it has some pretty huge gaps in it.

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1031915552699179009?s=19

The first big question is why any previous requests for Argento to say something before the story broke were met with silence.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

DrVenkman posted:

So, Asia Argento issued a rebuttal and... Well I think it has some pretty huge gaps in it.

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1031915552699179009?s=19

The first big question is why any previous requests for Argento to say something before the story broke were met with silence.

That statement reads like one that involves legal advice, so I'm guessing she was advised by her lawyer(s) to keep quiet until they could put together a statement to respond to the article and the allegations.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Vagabundo posted:

That statement reads like one that involves legal advice, so I'm guessing she was advised by her lawyer(s) to keep quiet until they could put together a statement to respond to the article and the allegations.

Maybe? The NYT made it clear they tried contacting her multiple times and got silence in return.

Beyond that I'm not sure I really get her claim. The guy just approached them and Bourdain said to pay it, for no reason?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

The implication in the statement is that it was an ongoing kind of harassment? and Bourdain told them to pay him off so he'd leave them alone?

It's as plausible as any other scenario unfortunately.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Southpaugh posted:

The implication in the statement is that it was an ongoing kind of harassment? and Bourdain told them to pay him off so he'd leave them alone?

It's as plausible as any other scenario unfortunately.

I don't think it is. Argento says that they were friends and he had money problems and came to her requesting a sum of money, Bourdain sorted it out on the condition that he doesn't bother them again. She doesn't indicate he approached her before that.

It's hard to conflate the Bourdain that presented himself as not giving a gently caress to the one in her story who was worried about negative publicity and it seems strange that she places it all on him.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

She's trying to latch onto the good vibes from Bourdain's death. It's pretty clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

DrVenkman posted:

I don't think it is. Argento says that they were friends and he had money problems and came to her requesting a sum of money, Bourdain sorted it out on the condition that he doesn't bother them again. She doesn't indicate he approached her before that.

It's hard to conflate the Bourdain that presented himself as not giving a gently caress to the one in her story who was worried about negative publicity and it seems strange that she places it all on him.

I have no idea what Bourdain you're talking about because Bourdain's reputation for most of his career was of deeply caring about a lot of social, cultural and historical issues.