Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

tooterfish posted:

I doubt you could sell a suicide mission to mercenaries, no matter how much of a bonus you offered them.

They were trying to cut through to the CIC, they must've had something in mind when they got there.

One of the wounded mercs was offered medical attention in exchange for information on who was behind the attack and his response was along the lines of "it doesn't matter, we'll all be dead soon anyway". Certainly seemed like a suicide mission from that response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Chalks posted:

One of the wounded mercs was offered medical attention in exchange for information on who was behind the attack and his response was along the lines of "it doesn't matter, we'll all be dead soon anyway". Certainly seemed like a suicide mission from that response.

Let's not put it past PG to have found mercenaries with terminal illnesses looking for endowments...I mean, they literally created psychopaths. :heysexy:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Dancer posted:

Lol ProtoGen threw 75% of their fleet down the drain to blow up the Donnager.

Actually I'm not sure that's quite right. I know that Spacedock does a great job of checking facts but I don't think it's ever confirmed that all the stealth ships were destroyed in the scuttle.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Chalks posted:

I forgot about that.

There's a few ways to read that though. Maybe the merc knew he was critically wounded, or he didn't think they could stop the captain from scuttling the ship in time.

gently caress knows. Private security companies launching suicide missions for their corporate overlords doesn't really make sense, but it could be just one of those things we have to accept.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

PriorMarcus posted:

Actually I'm not sure that's quite right. I know that Spacedock does a great job of checking facts but I don't think it's ever confirmed that all the stealth ships were destroyed in the scuttle.
His series on the Expanse ships constitutes official canon, and all his scripts are vetted my James SA Cory prior to the video being recorded.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Maybe they waved a magnet over a different part of those mercs brains that made them okay with it.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Like someone else said, you'll always be able to find people willing to go into insanely hazardous/effectively suicidal missions if you have enough people to pick from and enough money to offer, even to people not driven by ideology, like mercenaries.

A commercial entity the size of Mao's corporations, the number of people working private security/military in the System, finding enough of them to man the stealth ships involved in the attack on the Donnager really wouldn't be THAT hard. People with terminal illnesses (maybe even the sort that COULD be cured if they survive the mission with treatments not released to the public yet), people with at-risk loved ones they can't provide for/save without the bonus (or favors spent) from a job this size or being able to provide for the rest of their lives if they do this one job, live or die?

Hell yeah, even amongst Mercs, you'll find enough for an attack like this, and in a series where an examination of the ways capitalism exploits and crushes those trapped within its clutches? Well, this is just one more example thereof.

Choco Zulu
Oct 10, 2007

A critical mass of chocolate confectionary
I've been watching Nu-Trek and BSG to fill time until Season 4. What a nice surprise to see Chrisjen in ST:Beyond! This show has really grabbed me; I only heard about it in passing with respect to the cancellation. I'm so glad to discover this universe and learn there are books, novellas, audiobooks. This is becoming What I Did on Summer Vacation. :science:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The mercs were offered payment to their families. I'm guessing if they die or keep their mouth shut in prison their family will be taken care of with regular payments. The Gus Fring situation.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey if you guys like this show you should really watch the 1981 Sean Connery movie Outland.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Taintrunner posted:

Hey if you guys like this show you should really watch the 1981 Sean Connery movie Outland.

Oh man, that's a really good suggestion.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Netflix in the UK is telling me that the expanse will no longer be available after the 30th of sept so I guess this is when Amazon get exclusive rights to all the series

Anyone know if they've started filming the next season yet?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cast tweets are all them going to cons and things, so probably not yet. I think they've started writing though.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Yeah they tweeted a photo of the writers room starting on season 4 a couple months ago

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I know they've started on production, but not sure about filming.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Chalks posted:

Netflix in the UK is telling me that the expanse will no longer be available after the 30th of sept so I guess this is when Amazon get exclusive rights to all the series

Anyone know if they've started filming the next season yet?

US has the same message, I hope it will be on Amazon Prime video in October.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

etalian posted:

The expanse is already on Amazon Prime in the US.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Amazon is still charging for season 3 though. WTF Bezos, you just increased your wealth by like $30 billion last quarter. Give us a break.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

etalian posted:

Does PrimeVideo support 5.1 audio streaming to the PC yet?

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
But is the season 2 premier episode on Prime finally the full cut or is it still the cable cut missing Cotyar's introduction? :colbert:

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Mu Zeta posted:

Amazon is still charging for season 3 though. WTF Bezos, you just increased your wealth by like $30 billion last quarter. Give us a break.

He doesn't even give breaks to his workers, why would you think he'd give them to us?

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Lt. Sutton (Bobby's XO who get's blown up over Ganymede in s2 aka Hugh Dillon) is getting his band's first album remastered. I bring this up mainly because I have a bunch of music by the Headstones on my iPod and I keep picturing him in full MCRN uniform rocking out when their stuff shows up in shuffle. And because they're a Canadian band his background in music probably isn't super well known.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUFpVW4W_Dk
eta: maybe this isn't region locked? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt6fODIM7Cc

Solenna fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 23, 2018

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Solenna posted:

Lt. Sutton (Bobby's XO who get's blown up over Ganymede in s2 aka Hugh Dillon) is getting his band's first album remastered. I bring this up mainly because I have a bunch of music by the Headstones on my iPod and I keep picturing him in full MCRN uniform rocking out when their stuff shows up in shuffle. And because they're a Canadian band his background in music probably isn't super well known.

Not available in my region :mad:

Ah well, here is some GlamourDrummer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYJDCVHY13U&t=208s

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
If you want a non-region-blocked video with Sutton's voice this is all I can think of:

https://youtu.be/xw-jSymE76o

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Solenna posted:

eta: maybe this isn't region locked? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt6fODIM7Cc

I knew that guy looked familiar!

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

twistedmentat posted:

I knew that guy looked familiar!

He's also in Flashpoint and Continuum.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

https://twitter.com/ffrankieadams/status/1043953780205785089

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m happy it didn’t just end unceremoniously.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Can't wait for the UNN Bezos to play an important role in season 4

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

A ship named after humanitarian, best friend to the common people, and famed job creator Jeff Bezos is a small price to pay

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Can't wait to see the zero g piss bottles in that ship because no one is allowed to take a bathroom break.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cojawfee posted:

Can't wait to see the zero g piss bottles in that ship because no one is allowed to take a bathroom break.

Also everyone is locked inside a cage now. Why we don’t know but that’s just how it is now

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Naomi carrying a gun huh?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Bobbie is wearing her Goliath Armour in that pic too, so it might be just fun from the art department for the binder

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

given that their hands are exposed I'm assuming so.

Gloves are expensive, okay!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Though it would also be great if they gave Bobbie back her slightly dinged and scuffed armour after they hosed out what was left of Diogo

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

NTRabbit posted:

Bobbie is wearing her Goliath Armour in that pic too, so it might be just fun from the art department for the binder

That's the Season Three key art. They wouldn't of made one for Season Four yet so they are just using an older image.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

NTRabbit posted:

Though it would also be great if they gave Bobbie back her slightly dinged and scuffed armour after they hosed out what was left of Diogo

My boy D best be in Season 4. :derp:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I got a pic from the set, they're doing that colony planet for sure. Kinda reminds me of New Caprica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Hope it doesn't take too long of the season.