Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Shops often will store it for you and remind you when it’s time to swap winter tires on.
This is a new concept to me. Chain tire stores do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

CO tire op: everyone is telling you to get proper winter tires and you’re the goon at the bottom of the well.

Ding ding ding

Snow tires are so good. Tiredirect yourself some tires with wheels on em and your annual swap will be free and take 5 minutes at most tire chains.

Find a place to store em. You live in a studio with no patio, I take it?

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?
Your description of a Fort Collins winter sounds like a good fit for winter tires. Seems similar to Germany where I lived for years and winter tires are required by law, and it made so much sense. As long as temps are reliably dipping down into the 40s or below, this is objectively the safer and all around better option. Definitely look into local businesses offering off-season storage.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sits on Pilster posted:

Your description of a Fort Collins winter sounds like a good fit for winter tires. Seems similar to Germany where I lived for years and winter tires are required by law, and it made so much sense. As long as temps are reliably dipping down into the 40s or below, this is objectively the safer and all around better option. Definitely look into local businesses offering off-season storage.

Thank you for helping me correct my misconception without being goony about it. I've got a good relationship with a shop in town and I'll check with them.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Thank you for helping me correct my misconception without being goony about it. I've got a good relationship with a shop in town and I'll check with them.

Don't be petty - KGJ gave you fine advice you were just too caught up with being called out to really appreciate it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The always insufferable EAT FASTER strikes again

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011

n8r posted:

Want to message me some info? Looking at your posts you’re in Seattle? I’m in Wenatchee and still car shopping.

E: I see you don’t have plat... do you have an email I could hit up?

Due to some life stuff being up in the air we probably won't be selling it until September, but feel free to shoot me an email to casdadiaautos ( a ) gmail and I will give you a shout when we are selling.

Also, someone mentioned the CX-9. We will probably take a look at those but I think the rear cargo space is too small for our stroller to fit. Maybe not. Also, based on prices I am leaning towards the Kia Sedona despite pretty lackluster reviews of the handling.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The always insufferable EAT FASTER strikes again

sorry my advice is good?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

sorry my advice is good?

(it is a reference to a silly bit of angry name calling from some dude in the bad with money thread)

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Hello Car Buying Thread (and a bunch of familiar faces from BFC, apparently) :wave:

My wife and I are expecting this spring and we've decided to replace our much-loved but definitely aging 2006 Chrysler Pacifica. We've talked about it some and I've done some initial comparison shopping online but I know this is the place to get set straight. Here is what's guiding our search:

Proposed Budget Would really like to stay under $15,000, and $20,000 is a hard upper limit
New or Used No strong preference, although I'd like to stay under approx. 40,000 miles if we go used
Body Style We prefer hatchbacks and would rather go smaller than larger. Think Kia Soul, Honda Fit, etc.
How will you be using the car? We are a one car household and only put ~7,500 miles on the car a year. A lot of that driving is in town, although there are a handful of trips each year to destinations that are 200-300 miles away. We will need to accommodate a car seat, but it will be rare that we have more than two adults in the car, and even rarer to have extra adults with luggage for long trips. We also pack pretty light when we travel, although of course that's going to change to an extent when we have a baby. We don't have a need to tow things.
What aspects are most important to you? Several things, in no particular order:
-We are not car people, so something reliable and low maintenance is important
-Getting better gas mileage than the Pacifica's 17/23 is important, although that's not going to be hard in the class we're considering
-Size: we want to buy as much car as we "need" but no more. Something small but roomy, ideally. It has to be able to take a car seat and accommodate my 6'3" height, but we have no need for a third row of seats or a gigantic trunk.
-My wife has said "safety" but couldn't really define that further. It's my understanding that everything available on the market is "safe" by US standards, yet I see car sites assigning different ratings to cars and I don't know where these gradations are coming from. Guidance on this point is appreciated.
What aspects are most important to you?
-Basically the only car we would reject aesthetically is the Scion. Otherwise, whatever.
-I don't care about bells and whistles. Smart assisted braking and stuff like that is cool, I guess, but I don't need automatic parking or a digital screen etc.
Location Central Illinois. We get a moderate amount of snow in the winter, but we never have to deal with hills. This car is going to live outside under a porte cochere.

Hopefully that's enough to get started. Appreciate any suggestions or clarifying questions.

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 20, 2018

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You say small, but a kid and a Kia Soul sounds miserable. Although I guess I've never had a Kia Soul, or a kid for that matter. I would look slightly larger, Prius or Mazda 3 hatchback.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I managed with my infant from 2mo-12mo in my Chevy Spark, but I'm the weirdo that didn't think it was cramped and liked being able to reach back and pick up dropped poo poo.

The criteria there is pretty generous, so I'd start with the old thread standby of newest affordable Prius year and see if that works for you. If not, you can start refining and see if you really want a hatch or a crossover style car.

You can probably buy like a Kia Niro or a Rav4 in your price range that's pretty recent, for example.

The 40k mileage is something to look at. Average is like 10-15k per year of ownership, so that puts you at something within 3-5 years if you're just going by that alone.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 20, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

You say small, but a kid and a Kia Soul sounds miserable. Although I guess I've never had a Kia Soul, or a kid for that matter. I would look slightly larger, Prius or Mazda 3 hatchback.

No, you're absolutely right. For most of the first year of parenthood we had a Mazdaspeed3 and even *that* was really too small.

Modern rear-facing infant seats are loving huge. My wife spent that same time period with her seat all the way forward to fit the drat baby bucket.

On the flip side, I would not sweat the mileage on the odometer. It's just a number as long as the vehicle has been maintained well. I think at your price point trying to stick under 40k miles could be difficult for some of what might be your best choices.

Also, with as little as you drive, fuel mileage and ongoing maintenance costs will be low no matter what.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Internet Explorer posted:

I've never been inside a Kia Soul, so I definitely want to test drive one before I go any farther towards considering it. I saw that the Soul ended up on a top 10 list from Edmunds and Parents magazine the past couple years, so I figured it's worth a look.

Prius is definitely on our radar as well, and your post prompted me to take a look at the Mazda 3 and that definitely seems like a possibility.

FilthyImp posted:

I managed with my infant from 2mo-12mo in my Chevy Spark, but I'm the weirdo that didn't think it was cramped and liked being able to reach back and pick up dropped poo poo.

Good point about being able to reach back!

FilthyImp posted:

The 40k mileage is something to look at. Average is like 10-15k per year of ownership, so that puts you at something within 3-5 years if you're just going by that alone.

IOwnCalculus posted:

On the flip side, I would not sweat the mileage on the odometer. It's just a number as long as the vehicle has been maintained well. I think at your price point trying to stick under 40k miles could be difficult for some of what might be your best choices.

This is useful to hear. Not knowing much about cars, 40K seemed like a good heuristic for a car that's more likely to still be in good shape. I know there are plenty of 60K-80K cars that are well-maintained, so I just need to learn more about how to tell that that's so.

IOwnCalculus posted:

No, you're absolutely right. For most of the first year of parenthood we had a Mazdaspeed3 and even *that* was really too small.

Modern rear-facing infant seats are loving huge. My wife spent that same time period with her seat all the way forward to fit the drat baby bucket.

Yeah, I've noticed this from seeing my sister and other parents navigate these seats. When I get to the test drive stage I'm going to call dealerships to see if they have a sample car seat so we can at least get a general feel.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
I really like the Kia Niro and in Europe it is a lot less expensive than the alternative Toyota's. Anyone got one? Currently driving a company car but might switch company to another where no car is included.
It would be used as a daily driver in the city and for some long car holidays and with new diesel regulations coming I don't think diesel will be very attractive when I eventually sell the car 7-10 years down the line.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Car seats vary somewhat in size, shape and utility. I would recommend that you figure out what car seat you want, buy it, and then take it around with you to fit it in vehicles to see how it will work.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Car seats vary somewhat in size, shape and utility. I would recommend that you figure out what car seat you want, buy it, and then take it around with you to fit it in vehicles to see how it will work.

Hmmm...this seems a little backward to me, like the $200 decision would end up driving the $20,000 decision and not the other way around. It seems like there are lots of lists online when you Google "recommended car seats for [make model]" that we could make use of.

I hadn't even thought about choosing between the dozens of possible car seat choices yet... :stonklol:

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
The $200 decision protects your kid, and that's worth more than $20k.

edit: cars.com does car seat fit reviews, type the model of the car plus 'car seat check' and one of their reviews usually shows up. If I were you, I'd look at used CRV.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 20, 2018

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

pig slut lisa posted:

Hmmm...this seems a little backward to me, like the $200 decision would end up driving the $20,000 decision and not the other way around. It seems like there are lots of lists online when you Google "recommended car seats for [make model]" that we could make use of.

I hadn't even thought about choosing between the dozens of possible car seat choices yet... :stonklol:

The problem is that all of the highly recommended rear facing car seats are enormous. If you're willing to spend $500 or $600 on a carseat, you can get a little less bulk. The nicer car-seats will have adjustable recline angle and you'll get some of that space back as your kid gets older, stronger, and is able to sit more upright while rear-facing comfortably.

You really should be keeping kids rear-facing until they are tall or over 45 lbs, so you're going to be dealing with a rear facing car seat for years and years to come.

I'm currently doing the rear-facing carseat dance in a Fiesta and a Focus, and we're going to try and make it work with two! Good thing my driving position has always been pretty forward anyway.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

TheWevel posted:

The $200 decision protects your kid, and that's worth more than $20k.

Oh man, this is the most brutal part of having kids. Every purchase you make, "spend extra or you're cheaping out on your kid's LIFE" gets thrown in your face

Don't let the 200 decision drive the 20k decision

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I'm poking around cars.com in between calls at work and I found The Respectful Gamer Dealership

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
*tips sunroof*

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

pig slut lisa posted:

I'm poking around cars.com in between calls at work and I found The Respectful Gamer Dealership

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

*tips sunroof*

Lol

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Oh man, this is the most brutal part of having kids. Every purchase you make, "spend extra or you're cheaping out on your kid's LIFE" gets thrown in your face

it's not a dollar question, it's a convenience and quality of life question. most carseats you have to take in and put out, some are integrated with stroller systems, etc. i would prefer that to be optimized than say, buy Generic Compact CUV X over Generic Compact CUV Y.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Ah. My eyes glaze over CUV chat so I assumed people were talking him out of a good car and into a CUV on the basis of baby carrier ease.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Your requirements are generally pretty lax. Gas mileage and reliability aren't huge factors since you won't be driving it that much. I.e. the difference between 30 and 35 mpg is going to be less than $100 per year in gasoline. That's not nothing, but it's not a lot compared to everything else.

So the convenience of being able to get a car seat in and out easily actually is worth considering. You're going to hate the car if it's a pain in the rear end.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Deteriorata posted:

You're going to hate the car if it's a pain in the rear end.

And yet the baby gets a free pass

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Get a car seat that detaches out of the car base and can be placed in a stroller. This is important.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

euphronius posted:

Get a car seat that detaches out of the car base and can be placed in a stroller. This is important.

I'm picturing a motorcycle sidecar but I don't think it's what you're describing??

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm picturing a motorcycle sidecar but I don't think it's what you're describing??

They make baby buckets that click into different bases. One you belt into your car, one is the bottom half of a stroller. Congrats, you get your kid from the stroller to the car and back without re-belting them.

I don't think the front-to-rear length of a rear-facing infant-compatible seat varies that much between makes/models, but I also wouldn't expect a dealership to have one just laying around.

And since it's at least somewhat related... instead of buying a seat that tries to cover as many different stages as possible, focus on one that does that you want it to do and does it well. Jack of all trades seats inevitably suck rear end in at least one mode.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

I'm driving a KIA Soul with 2 kids as a rental for few more days. I'm surprised how much I like it. The handling is my favorite part but my kids are very young and I imagine it would start feeling a bit cramped if they were older than 5.

Things I like:
Road handling. This model has Eco, Sport, and Normal but I imagine these have to do with fuel and power more than anything
Good view in front and sides, blind spots are very small
Spedometer looks really modern. Kinda hard to explain but I don't feel like I'm staring at a plastic wall with dials, it looks pitch black and all I see is floating lights. see image below

Things I don't like:
Engine looks cramped, I'd hate to have to replace anything beyond an alternator. However being a rental I haven't looked from the bottom
Some of the internal pieces feel cheap to me, there's a big huge black styrofoam insert in the trunk.

Not sure what year I'm driving but looks like this, some other images on google suggest that older models don't have this layout.

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011
In addition to considering the car seat, make sure you get something with enough room in the trunk for a stroller.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Can confirm Kia Soul can fit baby seat stroller combo.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

pig slut lisa posted:

I've never been inside a Kia Soul, so I definitely want to test drive one before I go any farther towards considering it. I saw that the Soul ended up on a top 10 list from Edmunds and Parents magazine the past couple years, so I figured it's worth a look.
Haven't been in a Soul myself, but I'd wager that it's partly due to the ease of being able to get into the rear seats. It looks like the Soul is higher than a sedan, so you won't be having to bend over awkwardly to stuff the kids in a car seat, and the relatively open middle there probably means you can pull out the seat with little hassle. The styling in the rear also likely lets you grab your car set without having to futz with the fabric or wheels getting caught up in an average trunk. Not sure on all the safety jazz.

quote:

This is useful to hear. Not knowing much about cars, 40K seemed like a good heuristic for a car that's more likely to still be in good shape. I know there are plenty of 60K-80K cars that are well-maintained, so I just need to learn more about how to tell that that's so.
It's all relative. You might find a 2017 that's got 40k miles on it and think it's high, but then you dig into it and see it was sold in summer of 2016 and well, that's on track for high usage (15k/year). And you might find a 2015 with 18k on it, but find that it was a company car/loaner with spotty records for maintenance and wonder how many of the guys taking it out were just treating it like poo poo. All the Carfax stuff will help with that. Cars today are built well enough that the 60-80k range isn't as much of a death sentence as it may have been before. You'll just be dealing with poo poo like worn hoses and bands and all those little 'mechanical but not an engine or transmission issue' problems.

Twerk from Home posted:

The problem is that all of the highly recommended rear facing car seats are enormous.

I'm currently doing the rear-facing carseat dance in a Fiesta and a Focus, and we're going to try and make it work with two! Good thing my driving position has always been pretty forward anyway.
We ended up getting a Graco Click-n-Go system for the first kid and purchased a spare base to keep in the other car.
(something like this: http://a.co/d29MWZk) We just unhook the carrier and toss it in the car we're taking/stroller. On a few occasions we just tossed the carrier into the bed of a shopping cart because we didn't want to wake the kid or were lazy as gently caress.

My wife upgraded to a 3-in-1 Evenflo that was on sale at Costco and that is much harder to manage in her i3. The suicide doors, toddler size, and relatively small space between the seatback and safety seat means we have to be a bit more careful than in a sedan. And now we get to add the new infant to that mess, but the giant duo stroller won't fit in the i3 so it's probably all sedantime now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

man i live in a weird world where a kia soul is lauded for its handling

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If all you've ever driven is old Camries or Explorers or something I guess it makes sense though?

Like sure it's not "great" handling in the grand scheme, but compared to most of the market it probably tends more toward the "good" side than the "bad" side.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The first time I drove my sister's '95 SL1, I had never driven anything that was not a truck. By comparison that turd felt like a loving gokart.

FilthyImp posted:

Haven't been in a Soul myself, but I'd wager that it's partly due to the ease of being able to get into the rear seats. It looks like the Soul is higher than a sedan, so you won't be having to bend over awkwardly to stuff the kids in a car seat, and the relatively open middle there probably means you can pull out the seat with little hassle. The styling in the rear also likely lets you grab your car set without having to futz with the fabric or wheels getting caught up in an average trunk. Not sure on all the safety jazz.

Forgot to consider this. Upright seating can make a huge difference here. My MS3 and CR-V occupied nearly identical amounts of space in therms of length/width footprint, but the interior volume between the two is night and day. The same baby bucket that meant the passenger seat was full forward in the MS3, could fit in any of the rear seat positions with both front seats full back on the CR-V.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It generally is. Car and Driver loves it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

It generally is.

i have driven numerous kia souls and have never thought oh man this is a good handing car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i have driven numerous kia souls and have never thought oh man this is a good handing car

Yeah but aren't you a fellow of Means who probably has driven many cars that are expensive and fast?