Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Phlegmatist posted:

e: also, evangelicals for whatever reason like to perform their sexual violence against women instead of children which makes them much harder to compartmentalize. mark "the best way for a woman to win her husband to Christ is on her knees am I right fellas" driscoll burned his entire denomination to the ground because of his behavior but nobody talks about it for some reason.
let's not forget doug phillips, thank god his organization crashed and burned after the sexual harassment allegations came out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Epicurius posted:

So to clarify, because I don't want to misinterpret you here, it's a morally worse thing to do to draw a picture of God than to lead a pogrom?

A human being is a living icon of the divine, and thus to kill a human being is to assault the divine itself; obviously it is worse to lead a pogrom than it is to depict the father. When I said the latter was "the shame of orthodoxy" I was being a bit hyperbolic in my rhetoric. That said, I would hesitate to characterize the Russian orthodox church as "leading" the pogroms. My reading of Russian history leads me to believe that while the church definitely contributed to a culture in which Jews were viewed with deep, deep suspicion, the pogroms themselves were a mixture of spontaneous mob action or mob action stimulated by state authorities, while cases of pogroms lead by church officials are less common. The Kishinev pogrom is a particularly heinous example, as the broad historical consensus is that that pogrom was led by a bishop following Easter services. Even this, however, is more complicated as it seems, as recent scholarship reveals the important role that the local newspaper played in stirring up antisemitic sentiment. To quote Steven Zipperstein:

quote:

Accusations of ritual murder in the newspaper Bessarabets remained shrill despite official repudiation; there was word of menacing anti-Jewish meetings held in the back room of a Kishinev tavern; and leaflets calling for the beating of Jews were discovered in bars, cheap restaurants, and flophouses. “Grant a zhid free reign [sic], and he will reign over our Holy Russia, will take things into his own paws,” declared the leaflets. By then Bessarabets had launched a private club, a semisecret society that met regularly, it seems, with its goal being resistance to an imminent Jewish onslaught.

You can read Zipperstein's account of the Kishinev pogrom here: https://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-arts-and-culture/257179/anatomy-of-a-pogrom
In it, you get the impression that the main force behind the Kishinev pogrom was Pavel Krushevan, the owner of a local newspaper which accused a recent murder as being a product of "blood libel" motivations. Nowhere in that account is the local bishop mentioned, although some local seminary students are named as co-instigators, along with Krushevan's antisemitic cadre.

I'll admit that I am biased to believe Zipperstein's account of the prelude to the pogrom, because it lays the blame on worsening relations between Jews and Christians squarely on Krushevan, but his scholarship does seem to be on point. From a review of his book:

quote:

Until Pavel Krushevan’s arrival in Kishinev, relations between Gentiles and Jews there and in surrounding rural Bessarabia had been better than almost anywhere else in the Russian Empire, this according to the local Jews themselves, Zipperstein reports. Relations began to darken as Krushevan, an extreme anti-Semite and Russian chauvinist, launched Bessarabets, a newspaper relentlessly excoriating Kishinev’s Jews for supposed exploitation of the surrounding peasantry.

Why did he so hate the Jews? No attempt to reduce Judaeophobia to something psychologically or economically explicable ever quite accounts for the element in it of sheer, malignant prejudice, but Zipperstein brings an extraordinary documentary find to bear on his psychological reading of the young Pavel’s formation. Mikhail Khazin — an elderly Jewish journalist recently immigrated from Moldova to Brookline, Massachusetts, and a friend of Krushevan’s deceased nephew — entrusted to Zipperstein a cache of Krushevan’s personal papers that had been given to him at his friend’s death. From these, Zipperstein learned that Pavel’s beloved mother had died when he was a small boy, and that he had been raised by a Jewish stepmother, his father’s second wife. He was deeply aggrieved over the poverty that, as he saw it, had blighted his life, and that he "wished, according to his diary, that he had been “born a lady.” He was passionately in love with a Cossack whom he described as his krasavitsa (the beautiful one). On these pages he alternated between despair little short of manic — and dreams of grandeur. "[…]

Still, the Orthodox church should have done more to instill in the citizens of the city that the way of Christ is the way of peace. That some seminarians were involved in the rioting speaks to this failing, and is certainly a greater shame of Orthodoxy than someone painting an icon in a theologically false manner. That said, the Orthodox church today fully refutes antisemitism, and condemns it where it finds it. It excommunicated Matthew Heimbach, and Father Nathaniel Kapner has no official ties to the Orthodox church. Rocor released a statement to clarify that, called on him to cease his antisemitic conspiracy theories, and furthermore they involuntarily retired, censured and stripped of episcopal duties and rights the single Bishop who had in the past supported him. I celebrate all of these actions against antisemitism. It'd be nice if the hierarchy paid a little bit more attention to following the rules of iconography, in my opinion, but of course this is less important than persevering in our condemnation of ethnic hatred, just as improper artwork is less morally wrong than a pogrom.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
if you're catholic, both valid intent and valid form are needed for a sacrament to be a thing.

if you're orthodox, keanu reeves and winona ryder might have accidentally got ortho-married during the filming of dracula.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/aug/20/francis-ford-coppola-winona-ryder-keanu-reeves-married-dracula

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

pidan fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Dec 19, 2019

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I told my priest about that a few years ago, and he said it scandalized him.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

HEY GUNS posted:

if you're catholic, both valid intent and valid form are needed for a sacrament to be a thing.

if you're orthodox, keanu reeves and winona ryder might have accidentally got ortho-married during the filming of dracula.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/aug/20/francis-ford-coppola-winona-ryder-keanu-reeves-married-dracula

Lol that's great.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

CountFosco posted:

Still, the Orthodox church should have done more to instill in the citizens of the city that the way of Christ is the way of peace. That some seminarians were involved in the rioting speaks to this failing, and is certainly a greater shame of Orthodoxy than someone painting an icon in a theologically false manner. That said, the Orthodox church today fully refutes antisemitism, and condemns it where it finds it. It excommunicated Matthew Heimbach, and Father Nathaniel Kapner has no official ties to the Orthodox church. Rocor released a statement to clarify that, called on him to cease his antisemitic conspiracy theories, and furthermore they involuntarily retired, censured and stripped of episcopal duties and rights the single Bishop who had in the past supported him. I celebrate all of these actions against antisemitism. It'd be nice if the hierarchy paid a little bit more attention to following the rules of iconography, in my opinion, but of course this is less important than persevering in our condemnation of ethnic hatred, just as improper artwork is less morally wrong than a pogrom.

well...

I understand why nothing is being done about him (because EP Bartholomew messed up) but it's not a good look.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Keromaru5 posted:

I told my priest about that a few years ago, and he said it scandalized him.

What were his thoughts on Gary Oldman's blasphemous declaration of war against God?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39PtSR9wKfg

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I cannot even deal with the level of aggressive American Evangelicalism at my cousin's wedding right now.

Choosing Ephesians 5:22-33 as one of the two scripture readings during your wedding ceremony is definitely a statement in 2018.

(This is the fairly infamous verse about how wives should submit to their husbands)

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

:froggonk:

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Pellisworth posted:

Choosing Ephesians 5:22-33 as one of the two scripture readings during your wedding ceremony is definitely a statement in 2018.

What was the other? Gen 3:16?

e: although my guess would be love is patient love is kind this verse gets read at weddings all the loving time.

The Phlegmatist fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 21, 2018

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

The Phlegmatist posted:

What was the other? Gen 3:16?

e: although my guess would be love is patient love is kind this verse gets read at weddings all the loving time.

No, I'll have to check the schedule pamphlet when I get home, it's a longass 8-hour drive. That just stuck in my craw since it was the first of two scriptures read at the ceremony and I was loving pissed.

The groom also comes from the flavor of American Evangelicalism where everything must be aggressively about your awesome love for Jesus and how all your friendships and personal relationships are based on your mutual love for Jesus Christ. Hey this is my best friend, he's my groomsman, we bonded over our mutual love for Jesus. He really loves Jesus! That's why we're such great friends!

Like, the groom's mother gave a toast at the reception and spoke along the lines of "your duty is not to make your wife happy, it is to be Christ-like in all you do, and that will make her happy."

I was simmering mad all night long because the focus of the whole affair was on the groom and relationship with Christ. Oh, the bride? Yeah I guess she'll be happy, she should make babies ASAP that will make everyone super happy.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Huh. Well. Speaking of Orthodox weddings, that passage from Ephesians happens to be one of the readings at the marriage service.

Though there it starts two verses earlier: "Brethren, give thanks always for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God the Father. Be subject to one another out of reverence for Christ."

(The other reading is the Wedding at Cana.)

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Keromaru5 posted:

Huh. Well. Speaking of Orthodox weddings, that passage from Ephesians happens to be one of the readings at the marriage service.

Though there it starts two verses earlier: "Brethren, give thanks always for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God the Father. Be subject to one another out of reverence for Christ."

(The other reading is the Wedding at Cana.)

I guess from my perspective there is a difference between ancient tradition and a deliberate choice.

When you have a wedding ceremony in 2018 and specifically choose those verses from Ephesians, you're making a clear political point about how you perceive marriage.

You already had to go and pick terrible tunes to be played on piano and guitar, could you maybe not treat women like property and

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Pellisworth posted:

I cannot even deal with the level of aggressive American Evangelicalism at my cousin's wedding right now. Choosing Ephesians 5:22-33 as one of the two scripture readings during your wedding ceremony is definitely a statement in 2018.

this is not solely an issue of American Evangelicalism dawggg

Pellisworth posted:

I guess from my perspective there is a difference between ancient tradition and a deliberate choice. When you have a wedding ceremony in 2018 and specifically choose those verses from Ephesians, you're making a clear political point about how you perceive marriage.

with the caveat of "well those catholodoxers have different ideas about things" yeah, agree def 100%

quote:

You already had to go and pick terrible tunes to be played on piano and guitar, could you maybe not treat women like property and

GET OUT!! HOW ARE YOU INSIDE MY HEAD. GET OUT OF MY PERSONAL LIFE HISTORY

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 21, 2018

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

my dumb rear end opinions aside, we really do, in this thread, perhaps at some point need to talk about the unfortunate and problematic treatment of women during many Christian marriage ceremonies

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

galaxy brain: I don't want my wife to obey me, so by not obeying me she really is obeying me

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pellisworth posted:

I cannot even deal with the level of aggressive American Evangelicalism at my cousin's wedding right now.

(This is the fairly infamous verse about how wives should submit to their husbands)

i thought your family were all lutherans

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pellisworth posted:

I guess from my perspective there is a difference between ancient tradition and a deliberate choice.
i don't know if we get to choose anything ourselves about our weddings, except how we dress and what the crowns look like

i saw an Old Believer wedding online once with unity sand though lol

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pellisworth posted:

I've heard that scripture reading at Evangelical, Anglican, and even a Catholic wedding once. It's been a feature of every Christian wedding I've been to.

https://i.imgur.com/LABtukm.mp4

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 21, 2018

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Cythereal posted:

I've heard that scripture reading at Evangelical, Anglican, and even a Catholic wedding once. It's been a feature of every Christian wedding I've been to.

Catholics are given a selection of readings to choose between in the new rite, one of which is a shorter form of the Ephesians reading that very explicitly avoids the trouble verses.

Although the long form is considered the most traditional option.

e: Eph. 5:21-33 vs Eph. 5:25-32

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Traditional Catholic rite has that passage as the epistle, but I've always heard the priest insist upon the man's part: Husbands love your wives as Christ loved the Church. And then they point out that Christ literally died on the cross for the Church.

Thank you Cythereal for posting good cats.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Apropos of nothing, let me post here the gorgeous apparel of the judges of the Roman Rota, the Catholic Church's highest appellate tribunal and its second highest ranking court overall (after the Apostolic Signatura, which sadly doesn't have have its own attire) :swoon:

I also appreciate the judge in the middle going all :eyepop: when he sees the Pope

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Hey, im praying the Rosary again today while I get my next round of chemo...let me know if anyone has any prayer requests other than for swift retribution against those named in the Pennsylvania report

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pershing posted:

Hey, im praying the Rosary again today while I get my next round of chemo...let me know if anyone has any prayer requests other than for swift retribution against those named in the Pennsylvania report
my job applications
success and prosperity for my partner in his new job
my health

how you doing emotionally? are you still struggling? it's going to be ok, total strangers on the internet are rooting for you.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 21, 2018

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Could I ask you to pray for my attempts to get back into Grad School? I've made the decision to go back and study theology and I find trying to look for schools, sort recommendations, all of it terrifying.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Night10194 posted:

Could I ask you to pray for my attempts to get back into Grad School? I've made the decision to go back and study theology and I find trying to look for schools, sort recommendations, all of it terrifying.
I'm terrified every time I get letters from professors, even when they turn out to be friendly and supportive. I automatically think they're judging me and that I'm stupid. Lots of other people feel like you do. I'll pray for you.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Worthleast posted:

Traditional Catholic rite has that passage as the epistle, but I've always heard the priest insist upon the man's part: Husbands love your wives as Christ loved the Church. And then they point out that Christ literally died on the cross for the Church.

Thank you Cythereal for posting good cats.

Yeah, the word translated as "submit" has a different connotation in Greek. It doesn't mean meekly give in to whatever the other wants, it means to voluntarily put the needs of the other first.

Paul then turns it around and says fundamentally the same thing to the men - put the needs of your wives first.

The general usage of the passage is a deliberate misinterpretation of what Paul is trying to say so as to reinforce preconceived gender roles.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Worthleast posted:

I sometimes like to look at St. John Chrysostom's 20th homily on Ephesians, about 70% of which is directed to the husband. He exhorts men to, as Deteriorata says, put the wife's needs first, to do everything out of love for her, and he specifically condemns domestic violence. "For what sort of union is that, where the wife trembles at her husband? And what sort of pleasure will the husband himself enjoy, if he dwells with his wife as with a slave, and not as with a free-woman?" He even suggests that men have the heavier responsibility, since we're the ones specifically commanded to love our wives--in other words, to sacrifice and endure for her sake.

He also talks a lot about the dangers of greed for a marriage.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, the word translated as "submit" has a different connotation in Greek. It doesn't mean meekly give in to whatever the other wants, it means to voluntarily put the needs of the other first.

Eph. 5:33 remains a weird one, though.

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

Hi thread,

I was wondering if it was possible to tell if this came from any denomination in particular or if there's a name for this style of crucifix?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

an overdue owl posted:

Hi thread,

I was wondering if it was possible to tell if this came from any denomination in particular or if there's a name for this style of crucifix?

I'm just spitballing but that looks very old, almost certainly pre-Reformation. So it's at least Catholic, and might well be pre-Schism.

It looks like there are little four-leaf clovers. Perhaps it's Irish or from another Celtic Christian tradition?

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
the infinity crucifix

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

Pellisworth posted:

I'm just spitballing but that looks very old, almost certainly pre-Reformation. So it's at least Catholic, and might well be pre-Schism.

It looks like there are little four-leaf clovers. Perhaps it's Irish or from another Celtic Christian tradition?

I put some more close ups here: https://imgur.com/a/v9UKX8E

Ah right, they do look like clovers! I found it at a car boot sale in the North West of England so I'm sure it can't be genuinely old itself but a replica of an actual item that does exist somewhere maybe? Or someone just trying to evoke that general look? I can't really tell what material it's made of, some kind of metal that's all, there's blue felt (I think) on the back.

I'm just quite curious about it, thank you for you thoughts!

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

an overdue owl posted:

Hi thread,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6RUg-NkjY4

Anyway, it doesn't really add up. The corpus used is Christ the King or Christ the High Priest, which was insanely popular throughout continental Europe from about the late 10th cen. to the Reformation. The trifleur cross was also very popular throughout the Gothic period.

But IHS XPS is found on very few crucifixes during that period, since everyone in the west switched to INRI. IHS XPS is found on some older crucifixes but they're mostly Anglo-Saxon and old (older than when Christ the King became popular to put on a crucifix in the west.)

And also those little clover stamps kinda look like four-way medals. Which are old but nobody was placing them on crucifixes AFAIK. It's either the greatest art find in the history of the Catholic world or someone's weird high school art project.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
the gems sure look early medieval, what about a region that still had greek influence like benevent

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

It's certainly in the style of late 1st millennium stuff, but there's no way it's actually that old.

The Victorians had a habit of making new things in old styles, I would be it's a late-19th century creation. It's not a reproduction of anything well-known as far as I can tell.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

the russian orthodox service for the funeral of a priest is not loving around

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
Also this went unnoticed by the thread but the term Mormon is out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

if this is like the time the czechs tried to get the rest of us to call it czechia, it won't stick