Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

Len posted:

Married with Children

Al is just an awful unhappy man who is incredibly misogynistic

But the part that really dates it is that he was able to provide off his shoe store wage. Aint nobody working retail at a mall and supporting a family of four.

I’m remembering a few instances where his family is literally starving and fighting for food like animals. He’s not bringing home a lot of bacon. Despite the big house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Al being a misogynist is a joke, like you’re supposed to laugh at him for being a dumb rear end in a top hat about that, at least

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

The Missing Link posted:

I’m remembering a few instances where his family is literally starving and fighting for food like animals. He’s not bringing home a lot of bacon. Despite the big house.

Despite never having any money or food, they all seem to be in good health and Bud and Kelly always have decent clothes.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Len posted:

Married with Children

But the part that really dates it is that he was able to provide off his shoe store wage. Aint nobody working retail at a mall and supporting a family of four.

Worked retail. Can confirm.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Len posted:

Married with Children

Yeah that show made it clear that he was incessantly broke and even lampshaded their situation a lot. It was even explained as a literal magic curse at one point. No matter what he would get by but always be in horrible debt. Part of the joke was putting that sort of family in the suburbs in the first place. Al's misogyny was also played as a joke. You really weren't supposed to watch NO MA'AM episodes and think "I should be like that!" Part of the joke was the guys realizing how badly they were getting screwed in life but blaming the wrong thing entirely. Granted another side of the joke was making fun of a caricature of extreme feminism while lampooning people who focus on that exclusively and act like that's every feminist. Honestly I think that was all played pretty well. Everything on both sides were taken to thoroughly ludicrous extremes. The friction between Al and Marcy was the source of a lot of humor as they both took their beliefs to completely ridiculous levels and refused to budge on anything, ever.

Of course in the case of Marcy she was extremely successful and ended up with a trophy husband. Who turned out to be childish, narcissistic, and lazy. And Al's best friend.

You weren't supposed to endeavor to be Al by any means but really who here hasn't felt like Al at least once? Life just kept kicking him all the time. I think that's why Al has persisted in the public consciousness. We've all been him in one way or another.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah that show made it clear that he was incessantly broke and even lampshaded their situation a lot. It was even explained as a literal magic curse at one point. No matter what he would get by but always be in horrible debt. Part of the joke was putting that sort of family in the suburbs in the first place. Al's misogyny was also played as a joke. You really weren't supposed to watch NO MA'AM episodes and think "I should be like that!" Part of the joke was the guys realizing how badly they were getting screwed in life but blaming the wrong thing entirely. Granted another side of the joke was making fun of a caricature of extreme feminism while lampooning people who focus on that exclusively and act like that's every feminist. Honestly I think that was all played pretty well. Everything on both sides were taken to thoroughly ludicrous extremes. The friction between Al and Marcy was the source of a lot of humor as they both took their beliefs to completely ridiculous levels and refused to budge on anything, ever.

Of course in the case of Marcy she was extremely successful and ended up with a trophy husband. Who turned out to be childish, narcissistic, and lazy. And Al's best friend.

You weren't supposed to endeavor to be Al by any means but really who here hasn't felt like Al at least once? Life just kept kicking him all the time. I think that's why Al has persisted in the public consciousness. We've all been him in one way or another.

I would never deny my wife a tush rub. :colbert:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

The Missing Link posted:

the family was fully and cartoonishly dysfunctional, peggy would literally spend all the grocery money on chip & dales dancers/local male strippers while his kids would fleece his wallet whenever he wasn't looking so they could buy whatever vanity/recreational items they wanted at the expense of the essentials

i mean it's even a sight gag in the intro

ToxicSlurpee posted:

i've posted this before but the show rose to success in an era of tv that was just coming off a massive nostalgia binge for excessively squeaky clean tv programming, shows that were like leave it to beaver from a few decades earlier, and the working title for married with children was literally Not The Cosbys because they wanted to be subversive to this trend of perfect families and the Cosbys were pretty much the platonic ideal of how that style of entertainment was achieving major success at the time

al (and pretty much the whole family) was intended to be low brow and awful and not in a good way, the show went to absurd extremes to convey this like al blundering away his son's college scholarship money or peggy stealing her daugher's final project so she could pass her GED but kelly would fail and be held back a year but since married with children did live in this era of absurdly squeaky clean tv families the general public found that they related more to the Bundys and their flaws than anything else that was airing since their problems were chronic and couldn't be solved with a gentle fatherly lecture at the end of a 22 minute episode - that's not to say nobody had any positive traits at all or good moments but that the negatives were definitely presented as negatives and separate from the positives - so the show carved out a niche by being totally different

viewers would actually write in to tell the actors how relatable the show was while the media was busy heavily criticizing the show because none of this stuff was okay even back then - there's definitely episodes that have aged poorly nonetheless but the premise wasn't intended to make things like male chauvinism acceptable or okay, but to use things like male chauvinism to depict dysfunctionality

e: i'm leaving in the chippendales autocorrect

hard counter has a new favorite as of 05:01 on Aug 21, 2018

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

hard counter posted:

the family was fully and cartoonishly dysfunctional, peggy would literally spend all the grocery money on chip & dales dancers/local male strippers while his kids would fleece his wallet whenever he wasn't looking so they could buy whatever vanity/recreational items they wanted at the expense of the essentials

i've posted this before but the show rose to success in an era of tv that was just coming off a massive nostalgia binge for excessively squeaky clean tv programming, shows that were like leave it to beaver from a few decades earlier, and the working title for married with children was literally Not The Cosbys because they wanted to be subversive to this trend of perfect families and the Cosbys were pretty much the platonic ideal of how that style of entertainment was achieving major success at the time

al (and pretty much the whole family) was intended to be low brow and awful and not in a good way, the show went to absurd extremes to convey this like al blundering away his son's college scholarship money or peggy stealing her daugher's final project so she could pass her GED but kelly would fail and be held back a year but since married with children did live in this era of absurdly squeaky clean tv families the general public found that they related more to the Bundys and their flaws than anything else that was airing since their problems were chronic and couldn't be solved with a gentle fatherly lecture at the end of a 22 minute episode - that's not to say nobody had any positive traits at all or good moments but that the negatives were definitely presented as negatives and separate from the positives - so the show carved out a niche by being totally different

viewers would actually write in to tell the actors how relatable the show was while the media was busy heavily criticizing the show because none of this stuff was okay even back then - there's definitely episodes that have aged poorly nonetheless but the premise wasn't intended to make things like male chauvinism acceptable or okay, but to use things like male chauvinism to depict dysfunctionality

The problem with satire is that there's always quite a few shitheads who will happily take it at face value.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

hard counter posted:

chip & dales dancers

:allears:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Hal is a funnier poor dad than Al.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

hard counter posted:

e: i'm leaving in the chippendales autocorrect

Yeah, I think that was another reason why the show was so relatable and why it was a welcome reprieve from other TV. The absolutely perfect, idyllic lives from those shows were portrayed as totally normal. It was as if they were saying "well hey if you have a stern but loving father in a single income household with a housewife, 2.5 children, and a picket fence everything will work itself out, life will be perfect, and nothing will ever go wrong. If you aren't that then you are wrong and bad and what is wrong with you?" Nobody's life is perfect so the Bundys looked way more normal. Even if you couldn't quite relate directly to Al you were basically guarantee to know an Al at some point in your life.

Which is kind of why Marcy was an interesting character; she was pretty much the polar opposite of the standard housewife while Peg was...Peg. In the case of Marcy it's interesting because she basically became everything she hated. Of course over the run of the show it became apparent that Al was slowly driving her insane.

In Al's case his life is like the polar opposite of idyllic. His car sucks, his job sucks, his family sucks, his boss sucks, his neighbor sucks...everything just sucks and I think most peoples' lives are closer to Married with Children than Leave it to Beaver.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Hal is a funnier poor dad than Al.

Yeah, if you don't think Cranston is literally standing on O'Neill's shoulders...

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah, I think that was another reason why the show was so relatable and why it was a welcome reprieve from other TV. The absolutely perfect, idyllic lives from those shows were portrayed as totally normal. It was as if they were saying "well hey if you have a stern but loving father in a single income household with a housewife, 2.5 children, and a picket fence everything will work itself out, life will be perfect, and nothing will ever go wrong. If you aren't that then you are wrong and bad and what is wrong with you?" Nobody's life is perfect so the Bundys looked way more normal.
See also the early seasons of the Simpsons.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Toshimo posted:

Yeah, if you don't think Cranston is literally standing on O'Neill's shoulders...

drat right, Malcolm in the Middle doesn't get made without Married With Children having existed. Sure, Hal is funnier, the family issues are more nuanced, and there's the absurdity of Francis' misadventures. It's the second draft, conceived after MWC went off the air, with total perspective on what MWC had done artistically, why, and how.

Al. Good ol' Al. He fucks up, and is hosed up in so many different ways, that it was hard to watch the show regularly and not recognize his behavior. All to often in yourself, but over and over in other jackasses you've known.

And at the very least, most people could watch that show, get a good laugh, and know that however messed up their family life is, the Bundy's have it much worse. It's a new train wreck every week, and we all watched.

Having Christina Applegate didn't hurt ratings any, not in my household. Nor Katy Segal for that matter.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Al was a buffoon and an idiot and jerk but the show also made sure toshow he loved his family and would never turn his back on them.

Now seven was a terrible character

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

oldpainless posted:

Why would you even remind me.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Would Fox have put out The Simpsons if not for the success of Married With Children? I don't know the exact timeline.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Would Fox have put out The Simpsons if not for the success of Married With Children? I don't know the exact timeline.

MWC came out in '86. Simpsons debuted as shorts on Tracey Ullman in '87 and became its own show in '89. I'd think the influence was minimal.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tracey Ullman also hated the shorts. If only she embraced them maybe she would have gotten a producer credit.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

oldpainless posted:

Al was a buffoon and an idiot and jerk but the show also made sure toshow he loved his family and would never turn his back on them.

More like oldsevenless

Yeah, that was one thing that was apparent about the Bundys...as much as they really, really, really didn't get along they really did have each others' backs when the chips were down.

Also to the show's credit they realized Seven was a horrid mistake and wrote him out after like four episodes. You have to admit though that Bobcat what the perfect casting for Seven's dipshit dad.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah, that was one thing that was apparent about the Bundys...as much as they really, really, really didn't get along they really did have each others' backs when the chips were down.

Forgive me for stating the obvious: But that was also part of the satire. In your "Leave It To Beaver" worlds, everything is peachy gosh darn keen, but when you meet people who look like that in real life, they are always harbouring deep dark resentments and animosities towards each other.

The Bundy's let out all their dirty laundry and animosities openly, but deep down they were a stable family unit that loved and supported each other

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

i do know that matt groening was influenced by the same era of tv that the creators of mwc were reacting to since his intent was to give the people something different from the mainstream and that the early seasons of the simpsons did also face a lot of same media backlash from supposedly glorifying underachievers and lionizing the slob

i think president hw bush even joined in on the fuss by saying something vaguely like 'i want good strong families in our america that are a lot more like the waltons and a lot less like the simpsons' while campaigning whereas barbara bush publicly called the simpsons the dumbest thing she'd ever seen on tv

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Not just in terms of direct influence, I mean maybe Fox was looking to greenlight something similar to their current success and accidently struck gold with an animated show.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Not just in terms of direct influence, I mean maybe Fox was looking to greenlight something similar to their current success and accidently struck gold with an animated show.

Fox was also a new channel at the time competing with lumbering behemoths. They were more willing to take risks or do something against the grain. Interestingly it worked; they became a major network in no time despite people pooh poohing how low brow their stuff was. It was viewed as inferior shows for inferior people.

Now The Simpsons is still going, Married with Children has gone down in history, and Fox News is the horrifying poo poo behemoth we all know and loathe.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Peg’s baby episode (either when it was announced or when she lost it) was the first show Fox had in the Nielson top 10. Now we take for granted that Fox plays on the same level as other big networks, but most of their lineup sucked back then.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The problem with satire is that there's always quite a few shitheads who will happily take it at face value.

From slightly later, there was the UK show "Men Behaving Badly", which was in the lineage of "Peep Show" with two lazy, idiotic dudes sharing a house and constantly screwing up their lives. Real popular, ran for years.

The scriptwriter has spoken of how there's a significant part of the audience that failed to understand it was satire, thought the protagonists were heroes, and would write him with suggested plotlines where the male leads would go out, get horribly drunk and hook up after shaming the female leads.

You can't make things obvious enough for some people.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Krispy Wafer posted:

Peg’s baby episode (either when it was announced or when she lost it) was the first show Fox had in the Nielson top 10. Now we take for granted that Fox plays on the same level as other big networks, but most of their lineup sucked back then.

look at this ABSOLUTE BUFFOON throwing shade at Duet, Drexell's Class, and The New Adventures of Beans Baxter

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Krispy Wafer posted:

Marcy was pregnant at the same time. After Katy's loss, they ret-conned the first half of the 6th season by making it all Al's dream. Although Bud's Grandmaster B persona survived.

It was fun to watch Al & Peg snipe at each other. Sagal's expressions were fantastic.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It was odd seeing Bud play a character on a soap operas my wife watches. I can’t say he’s aged badly, but he has definitely aged weirdly.

He still looks young, but he’s starting to look like one of those young kids who get the aging diseases.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

nonathlon posted:

The scriptwriter has spoken of how there's a significant part of the audience that failed to understand it was satire, thought the protagonists were heroes, and would write him with suggested plotlines where the male leads would go out, get horribly drunk and hook up with each other after shaming the female leads.

That's just pointing out the obvious homoerotic subtext.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

BrigadierSensible posted:

Forgive me for stating the obvious: But that was also part of the satire. In your "Leave It To Beaver" worlds, everything is peachy gosh darn keen, but when you meet people who look like that in real life, they are always harbouring deep dark resentments and animosities towards each other.

The Bundy's let out all their dirty laundry and animosities openly, but deep down they were a stable family unit that loved and supported each other

Which it winked at when bringing Jerry Mathers for an episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFSUAJlVVLo

hard counter posted:

i think president hw bush even joined in on the fuss by saying something vaguely like 'i want good strong families in our america that are a lot more like the waltons and a lot less like the simpsons' while campaigning whereas barbara bush publicly called the simpsons the dumbest thing she'd ever seen on tv

And Dan Quayle poked his nose into Murphy Brown.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Could there be more late eighties sentence than this?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I always appreciated that bud bundy was murdered by his alter ego who then became him

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Speaking of Murphy Brown, do we think the revival is going to be any good? My mom watched it all the time when I was a kid so I might just be blinded by nostalgia, but I’m cautiously optimistic.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
In an early SVU episode the case is blown when the defense finds out the psychologist left a sticky note about the suspect that says "retarded?"

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Which it winked at when bringing Jerry Mathers for an episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFSUAJlVVLo

Bud and Kelly harassing Jerry Mathers the entire episode, only for Mathers to say, "At least my father's not a shoe salesman" as the ultimate burn was awesome.

That entire two-parter was great, if for no other reason than the over-the-top gimmicks they threw into the supermarket sweep competition they did.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fish of hemp posted:

Could there be more late eighties sentence than this?

Murphy Brown is probably the ultimate example of a show that was hugely popular, ran for a very long time on television (10 seasons), enjoyed tremendous critical acclaim, won lots of awards (Candice Bergen's five Emmys) and is now largely forgotten except for the spat with the vice-president (which came when the show was already halfway through its run, so it wasn't like Bush complaining about the Simpsons when it was the dangerous new kid on the block).

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gaunab posted:

In an early SVU episode the case is blown when the defense finds out the psychologist left a sticky note about the suspect that says "retarded?"

I would like to know more.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Murphy Brown is probably the ultimate example of a show that was hugely popular, ran for a very long time on television (10 seasons), enjoyed tremendous critical acclaim, won lots of awards (Candice Bergen's five Emmys) and is now largely forgotten except for the spat with the vice-president (which came when the show was already halfway through its run, so it wasn't like Bush complaining about the Simpsons when it was the dangerous new kid on the block).

Nation's Weirdest Teenager Buys Season One DVD Of 'Murphy Brown'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Did Murphy Brown have a kickass lead-in show to explain its success and longevity?

Like how Simon & Simon survived in large part because of Magnum P.I.

Trying to Google that is worthless because all I get are news stories about both Magnum P.I. and Murphy Brown’s 2018-2019 lineup.