Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Basticle posted:

I'm talking like 25-50 foot range here

I've played this game quite a bit and accepted that I cannot reliably get headshots with anything other than a Mosin sniper. You may be in the same boat!

Remember the Romero description literally says: "There's not a lot that can go wrong."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Can confirm, shooting someone who doesn't know you're there is basically impossible don't @ me

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
When people are talking in voice chat and it's clear they're matchmade strangers I'll do my best to imitate one of them and say "Stand still for a sec and listen" and then I'll shoot one of them in the head before they realize it's not their partner talking. That's worked more than it should.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Commoners posted:

When people are talking in voice chat and it's clear they're matchmade strangers I'll do my best to imitate one of them and say "Stand still for a sec and listen" and then I'll shoot one of them in the head before they realize it's not their partner talking. That's worked more than it should.

:monocle:

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
The Most Dangerous Game

This is a PvP game at its core - which means you need to get good at it in order to secure your rightful money from those bounties. Learning how and when to initiate a fight is key in ensuring your hunter's survival and to increase your odds. Learning how to deal with a fight that gets initiated on you is also important. Below I will try to include some tips on how to PvP effectively and not get your poo poo pushed in every game.

WEAR HEADPHONES
Self explanatory. If you're not wearing headphones, you're going to miss a lot of noise cues and their direction, and you're going to die more often and miss chances to kill people.

Checking Spawns

One of the first things you need to learn is the spawn points and how other hunters are likely to approach your position. This information alone can improve your game drastically.

Most higher level hunters will, right off the bat, begin checking the nearby spawn points in an attempt to catch someone else unprepared for an early fight - and to remove the immediate and future threat. Downing other hunters within the first minute of the game gives you a great advantage, as the local population is "thinner," reducing your odds of being jumped during clues - in addition it removes a potential future threat and gives you information the other hunter teams don't have (that a team is dead) At the very least, you should be aware of the direction other hunters are likely to approach a clue from.

5 Teams spawn on the map, for a total of 5-10 players. (there's a very rare exception where it may be 11 people and 6 teams) The spawns are randomized, everyone can be on one side, everyone can be spread out, you have a corner to yourself.

Typical early hotbeds of fighting include: Fish + Sons, Catfish Grove, Davant Ranch, Blanchett Graves. The other areas certainly can be - but the nature of the spawns at the above areas usually leads to early fights.

Be aware of your surroundings

This seems like common sense, but the number of times I've seen people be completely oblivious to what's around them is staggering. Know the fastest and most reliable way to kill a hunter? Shoot near the pack of hellhounds he's sneaking by in the open field.
  • Know where the nearest resupply caravan is
  • Know the nearby spawns and how many teams are likely to remain on the map.
  • Take note of the health packs you come across as you're moving through an area. It can, and will, save your hunter's life sometime.
  • Keep note of the monsters surrounding you. If there's a meathead south of you, it's very unlikely any hunter is going to sneak up from south of you.
  • LISTEN for noise. You need to learn and understand something as subtle as the sound a zombie makes when he's interested in a noise (i.e. not even aggro'ed) Same with hives, leeches, etc.
  • Red barrels can blow up! Don't sit near them, and feel free to detonate them when an enemy hunter is sitting on one.

Fight on Your Terms

So you've spotted another team and have a chance to engage them. Great, but how do you do it? You need to consider where you are, where they are, and where either team might wind up.

• Learn the sounds of each weapon and listen for what they're using. A Winfiled, Mosin, and Carbine all sound different. A Caldwell double-barrel is both distinct and lethal.
  • If there's a nearby resupply caravan, you need to put that behind you so it's YOUR retreat point. There are always health packs there for instant heals.
  • If you're engaging from range, consider what's behind you for cover. If you have a backdrop of trees / shrubs - that's great for cover and so it's harder to sight you if you're in front of it.
  • Don't shoot from water, don't retreat or chase through water. Stay out of the goddamn water.
  • If you have a shotgun or other close range weapon, try to get within effective range. Downing a hunter right off the bad heavily tips the scales in your favor to kill the remaining partner.
  • Wait until they are fighting an armored or hive and are otherwise distracted. If they are fighting another group, let it play out for a minute or two before you clean up.
  • Don't engage if they have a tactical advantage such as a large structure or height.
  • If you are within range, open with some explosives. You are likely to get one or both and it's always worth the price tag.

I got jumped

Congratulations, you weren't paying as much attention as the other guy. As a general rule of thumb, you don't want to turn and try to win the firefight, especially if you're injured already. By the time you LOCATE exactly where they are, they're usually sending their 2nd or 3rd shot, both of which could be lethal.

• Find good cover immediately. Get into a thick treeline or a large structure if nearby. Fences or small structures can obscure vision, but don't hide behind it. Get somewhere where you can heal and break LOS.
  • Heal as soon as it's safe. Unless they're actively sprinting after you, get a health bar back with a shot or medkit.
  • Use dynamite / frags for cover or for a counter. After they go off, they give a nice area of smoke for a few seconds which obscures vision.
  • If they've downed your partner and lost you - they are going for a lantern. Now is a good time to retaliate before they burn your friend.
  • Don't pick up your partner until it's safe - you're asking for a headshot. If you tagged them with your weapon and they backed off, that can provide a window to pick your friend up.
  • If things are looking grim, better to retreat and live then fight and die.

Aiming Down sights
Advantages:
  • More accuracy at range
  • Depending on sights can facilitate targeting of body parts (head, upper chest)
  • Gives some zooming
Disadvantages:
  • Slower movement speed while ADS
  • Lower peripheral vision for incoming shotgun psychos
Best used on: Mosin, Carbine, Nagant / Caldwell pistols and variants (non-fanning), Nitro

Hip Firings
Advantages:
  • Good suppression fire
  • Good peripheral vision
  • Faster movement speed
Disadvantages:
  • Lower accuracy
  • No zoom
Best used on: All shotguns, fanning pistols, Dolch, Auto-Mosin

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Holy poo poo you can shoot those hanging lanterns?!

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

Holy poo poo you can shoot those hanging lanterns?!

Not only that but every chicken coop or dog pen has a lantern hanging over it :v:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Basticle posted:

Not only that but every chicken coop or dog pen has a lantern hanging over it :v:

This. Changes. Everything. How loud is that compared to those animals going nuts?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

This. Changes. Everything. How loud is that compared to those animals going nuts?

Uhh they scream loud horrible deaths. And you have to shoot the lantern of course. But its very, very satisfying.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Basticle posted:

Uhh they scream loud horrible deaths. And you have to shoot the lantern of course. But its very, very satisfying.

Throwing knives break them, and I'm told the little decoy tools you can get later on will also work.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

and thus the first practical use of a throwing knife was born

Opentarget
Mar 17, 2009

Capn Beeb posted:

Throwing knives break them, and I'm told the little decoy tools you can get later on will also work.

Can confirm that decoys break the lanterns. Killing the kenneled animals is always quieter than letting them trigger. Same for the horses on the ground.

I still feel bad every time though.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Opentarget posted:

Can confirm that decoys break the lanterns. Killing the kenneled animals is always quieter than letting them trigger. Same for the horses on the ground.

I still feel bad every time though.

The dogs look emaciated and sick, the horses are clearly dying - it's a mercy.

gently caress chickens.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Those horses would steal your bounty if given the chance, knife them without regret.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Basticle posted:

They are also good at pissing off hives and making them come after you!

And once - ONCE - I've killed a player when I was stalking the above hive, rounded a corner, and came up behind another man creeping past her. Knife to the back of the skull surprise!

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://streamable.com/ol26t

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

Basticle posted:

Decoys are easier to use. The throwing knife is really the most OP weapon in the game though as it's essentially a melee weapon that works with no stamina. I don't bother recovering my stamina as much anymore as I can always just pull out a throwing knife and short range throw even with zero stamina.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Decoys are easier to use. The throwing knife is really the most OP weapon in the game though as it's essentially a melee weapon that works with no stamina. I don't bother recovering my stamina as much anymore as I can always just pull out a throwing knife and short range throw even with zero stamina.

throwing knives are amazing. people have given me poo poo when they see me carrying them until i sprint through 2 zones silently taking out everything in front of me in one shot without even slowing down. they're really really accurate too if you get the arc down.
trick! if you see a hunter but can't get particularly close, open with a knife. you can have your gun out and readied by the time it hits, and you'll silently take a massive chunk off his health.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
Throwing knives are really good, especially if you, for whatever reason, don't want to take a silenced Nagant. Although you do look like a massive tool if you keep whiffing your knives, they're really consistent and it doesn't take much practice to get good.

Bolt seer could be a little better though, because finding your knives can be a pain.

For regular zombies, you don't even have to hit the head, just anywhere in the general neck area. Hives drop in two if you can't risk a headshot. A full-set plus a lantern is generally enough to knock down a fatboy.

You can also get some use if you're trying for a silent takedown on bosses, especially if you both have them.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

For regular zombies, you don't even have to hit the head, just anywhere in the general neck area. Hives drop in two if you can't risk a headshot. A full-set plus a lantern is generally enough to knock down a fatboy.
4 takes down an armored. I honestly haven't tried them against a meathead though.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Although you do look like a massive tool if you keep whiffing your knives, they're really consistent and it doesn't take much practice to get good.
God, I feel like an rear end when i miss a knife. Especially if it flies into the water, not gettin that back. Often i'll comment to my partner how loving ashamed of myself for missing a knife. I somehow only miss then near point blank too. At 20m I'm a god-damned sniper with em.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I don't think I've ever taken a hit from a Meathead, or even its leeches.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Mordja posted:

I don't think I've ever taken a hit from a Meathead, or even its leeches.

You are not supposed to be. Meatheads exist pretty much as zoners. A way to dynamically change where you can and cannot go. They are not a huge threat but they eliminate zones of travel, because to choose to fight them is a serious commitment. They are anchors not threats.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Knifegrab posted:

You are not supposed to be. Meatheads exist pretty much as zoners. A way to dynamically change where you can and cannot go. They are not a huge threat but they eliminate zones of travel, because to choose to fight them is a serious commitment. They are anchors not threats.

I love sneaking through dozens of zombies, two packs of dogs, 2 armored and 3 hives to find a meathead standing on top of my clue. It's the tits.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I love sneaking through dozens of zombies, two packs of dogs, 2 armored and 3 hives to find a meathead standing on top of my clue. It's the tits.

Find a different clue or get ready to fight ya cowardly yellow belly!

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

It's one reason why I always have a molotov or two. I'm not super stoked about maybe having to waste a Hellfire, but the standard molotovs? 12 dollars? gently caress it, throw them around like candy when lanterns aren't around.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

i swear if there is one weapon in this game i will genuinely call OP it's the fuckin dolchs. it just beats EVERY other sidearm.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

This is a long video but I'm proud of it because despite the fact that I suck and as previously documented I can't hit moving targets to save my life, I had two loving glorious headshots in this https://streamable.com/ca8s2

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Basticle posted:

This is a long video but I'm proud of it because despite the fact that I suck and as previously documented I can't hit moving targets to save my life, I had two loving glorious headshots in this https://streamable.com/ca8s2

Post warning, incredibly loud obnoxious ear shattering scream at the end which makes the whole video annoying and not worth it.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

Post warning, incredibly loud obnoxious ear shattering scream at the end which makes the whole video annoying and not worth it.

Shadowplay is a piece of poo poo and constantly resets the microphone record slider to 100% so I manually lowered the audio in certain places of the video to like 25% :shrug:

short version: :nallears:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Rysithusiku posted:

i swear if there is one weapon in this game i will genuinely call OP it's the fuckin dolchs. it just beats EVERY other sidearm.

Could maybe tweak the rate of fire to be a little lower and drop the price to compensate so that it isn't solely a tryhard gun. A slower rate of fire would also make it more situational compared to the Uppercut and arguably the Obrez/whatever.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

For anyone who's interested this is a very good breakdown on weapons, ammo, tools, consumables, traits, animals, monsters, bosses etc.

Pretty much everything.

A detailed Hunter's Weapons Guide

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Basticle posted:

Shadowplay is a piece of poo poo and constantly resets the microphone record slider to 100% so I manually lowered the audio in certain places of the video to like 25% :shrug:

short version: :nallears:

Blame Hunt showdown, my headphone volume is so high up so I can hear those shots two settlements over.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Update is live.....11.5gb download :v:

patch notes
https://steamcommunity.com/games/594650/announcements/detail/1707314854843032917

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Really interested to see how those shotgun changes play out. A romero talon might not be too shabby for the price now.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

quote:

Hunters can now vault through windows that contain breakable glass.

this. changes. everything

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Basticle posted:

this. changes. everything

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
:siren:

Equipment price changes:

Dynamite Stick price reduced from $45 to $20.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Zasze posted:

Equipment price changes:

Dynamite Stick price reduced from $45 to $20.

:torgue:

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Reading people's twitter meltdowns over the fact that they just hit 34 and have to play with the big boys.

PSA: You're not fooling anyone into thinking that you are losing every match to Auto Mosins. I've seen a grand total of 3 Auto Mosins in the last two weeks of nightly play - and I had one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I know you're a big fan but your subjective experience is different than theres. If people in this thread and Twitter complain about being sniped by level 100s from 2km away then maybe its endemic to something other than skill or luck.