Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Jesus Christ :stonk:

Polish Daredevil Becomes First Person To Ski Down From The Summit Of K2
https://deadspin.com/polish-daredevil-becomes-first-person-to-ski-down-from-1827831917

Easily claiming the first person and first mentally handicapped person to ski down k2 records.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

That is so incredibly badass

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
I was kinda expecting him to be chugging Red Bulls and shooting fireworks out of his rear end as he careened downhill to a speed metal track, but he just kinda edges down slowly in the little clip I saw.

What a puss!

Morbus
May 18, 2004

"Lol those Polish dudes that wanted to do a winter ascent of K2 had to bail when their lead went crazy and decided to solo it...guess those Poles aren't so badass after all"

This guy: "hold my beer..."

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Easily claiming the first person and first mentally handicapped person to ski down k2 records.

nah, you'll just hear his name in a few more headlines before the final one of "polish daredevil dies in horrible climbing accident"

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Not a frozen corpse yet.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Val Helmethead posted:

Not a frozen corpse yet.

Try harder

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Val Helmethead posted:

Not a frozen corpse yet.

Call me when you hit 20,000 feet and then tell me you aren’t a frozen corpse.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

ZombieLenin posted:

Call me when you hit 20,000 feet and then tell me you aren’t a frozen corpse.

Working my way up to it, jeeze.

I knew I should have just photoshopped it.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Val Helmethead posted:

Working my way up to it, jeeze.

I knew I should have just photoshopped it.

I am just busting your balls. You are already higher than I would ever willingly go. :worship:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
and that's not even half the elevation of everest, gives ya good perspective for how thin the air must be at the summit

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I was at the grand canyon at 8000 feet and there were some old people having trouble.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

nsaP posted:

and that's not even half the elevation of everest, gives ya good perspective for how thin the air must be at the summit

Coming from 1K Pittsburgh, I could feel the difference. And I spent several days acclimating to the mountains before the attempt.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Val Helmethead posted:

Coming from 1K Pittsburgh, I could feel the difference. And I spent several days acclimating to the mountains before the attempt.

I got altitude sickness backpacking near Mammoth mountain. It was one of the worst experiences of my life, and completely out of nowhere since I had done the trip multiple, multiple times previously.

This is what convinces me to never go to Nepal.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Val Helmethead posted:

Not a frozen corpse yet.

A few adjustments and you’re ready for Everest!

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Ready? Hell, he's already been!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

hailthefish posted:

The lighting is pretty close. :eyepop:

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Bobby Digital posted:

A few adjustments and you’re ready for Everest!

hailthefish posted:

You guys are the best.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

When I die on Denali, I hope they find these pictures on my computer and people make fun of me for photoshoping in pictures of myself places I've never been.

"Yeah, that's the naked masturbating guy you pass just above Camp 2. He's... not in a difficult place to retrieve, just nobody wants to touch him."

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Carry them with you imo

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-dMVvvIt8M

Some guy climbing K2 in 2018

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That guy tumbling @ 2:30....jebus. His name was Serge.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That was a person? I'm not an expert, but that tumbling didn't look like a human body.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

Cojawfee posted:

That was a person? I'm not an expert, but that tumbling didn't look like a human body.

Think it was just one of his personal items, guy probably either didn't catch him tumbling on film or decided not to show it out of respect.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Dude full screen it in hd, it's the guy tumbling end over end as if he fell face first.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Yikes that didn’t even look natural

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

nsaP posted:

Dude full screen it in hd, it's the guy tumbling end over end as if he fell face first.

From the comments, by the uploader:

quote:

tokyo hutte
2 weeks ago
It's a glove. I did not take the shot for person falling. Many items fell one by one after body. We were stunned and just watching them. Glove is almost the last item of falling.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Dude that’s not a glove...are you all for real?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

nsaP posted:

Dude that’s not a glove...are you all for real?

I'm just quoting the guy who uploaded the video responding in the comments to people asking about it

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Whatever is falling at 2:30 in that video is like 12 inches long. What is wrong with you people. It’s obviously a piece of gear.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
RIP Serge

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
Just came from Elbrus (18.5k feet), was pretty cool, coming down there was a snow storm and lightning most of the group was evacuated via snowcat but there wasn't place for me the russian guides were yelling to jump to the ground every time there was a lightning bolt . Kinda scary. Then I took aerial pictures of the American embassy in Moscow but didnt even get arrested

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/sep/03/nepal-cracks-down-on-multimillion-dollar-helicopter-rescue-scams

Guardian posted:

One investigation on behalf of insurers estimated there had been more than 1,600 helicopter rescues so far this year, of which about 35% had been fraudulent, costing the companies more than $4m (£3.1m).

What? I know it's not just Everest but entire Nepal but I had no idea that were that many climbers.

LastCaress posted:

Just came from Elbrus (18.5k feet), was pretty cool, coming down there was a snow storm and lightning most of the group was evacuated via snowcat but there wasn't place for me the russian guides were yelling to jump to the ground every time there was a lightning bolt . Kinda scary. Then I took aerial pictures of the American embassy in Moscow but didnt even get arrested

That's badass

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Malaver posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/sep/03/nepal-cracks-down-on-multimillion-dollar-helicopter-rescue-scams

What? I know it's not just Everest but entire Nepal but I had no idea that were that many climbers.

Sounds like most of that is trekkers.

quote:

Kaine said the scam was a symptom of the growing popularity of climbing holidays in Nepal, fuelled in part by social media posts that showed off the beauty of the summits and made them seem accessible

This thread shares in the blame. Goons! :argh:

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Nooooo. I am a cause and a symptom kf the problem!

fiesty cowgirl
May 22, 2009

Val Helmethead posted:

Not a frozen corpse yet.

Nice!!!!! I went up yesterday but I didn’t have a sign with me. :/

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

fiesty cowgirl posted:

It's okay, we can photoshop one in for you.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

fiesty cowgirl posted:

It's absolutely beautiful there. I don't think I've enjoyed a vacation like I've enjoyed Colorado.

I want to go back and climb Mt Massive, but I have the goal of getting the 50 state high points, so it's on to non-Colorado places.

Having done Mt Elbert though, a simple walk through the woods for PA's Mt Davis is... not exciting at all.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

Val Helmethead posted:

Having done Mt Elbert though, a simple walk through the woods for PA's Mt Davis is... not exciting at all.

Brace yourself for Delaware - it’s just on a street somewhere. (I thought it was the landfill in Wilmington but the internet says otherwise)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

High Lord Elbow posted:

Brace yourself for Delaware - it’s just on a street somewhere. (I thought it was the landfill in Wilmington but the internet says otherwise)

I was sure Florida's was going to be a landfill. Palm Beach County's high point certainly is (jokingly referred to as Mt Trashmore).

There's also pretty much the entire mid-west which is just "the cornfield slightly higher than the cornfields nearby."