Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Well that’s good, could probably be better but at least we can maybe move on.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

It's a lovely apology but better than nothing, and hopefully they'll be a little more careful in the future and maybe not take a full 24 hours to fix their next mistake. Seriously that's a ridiculously long time to let a marketing fuckup hang out there.

Mindblast posted:

:( and here I figured it'd make sense to show the actual demo live to the public here.

Nope, they probably won't show any gameplay to the public until next E3, unless someone decides to leak the demo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Wicked Them Beats posted:

It's a lovely apology but better than nothing, and hopefully they'll be a little more careful in the future and maybe not take a full 24 hours to fix their next mistake. Seriously that's a ridiculously long time to let a marketing fuckup hang out there.

Nope, they probably won't show any gameplay to the public until next E3, unless someone decides to leak the demo.

Why are they afraid to show off? I am sure it will be good. Starting to think they should pull a human revolution.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lol

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Why are they afraid to show off? I am sure it will be good. Starting to think they should pull a human revolution.

People flipped their poo poo when they had to downscale some of the city stuff for Witcher 3 (which still looked amazing just not as amazing) and many people think they are trying not to set expectations too high

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

The first thing that comes to mind is that many elements may not be set in stone yet, and if they end up deviating a lot from this demo they're going annoy a ton of nerds later down the line. A lot of companies have experienced how obnoxious that can be.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Lol, no, having a ton of articles coming out describing how good it is means that people stay hyped and interested and they can also show gameplay later and get people excited because they can hype it as being the first gameplay available to the public. This is basic marketing at the moment, not "being afraid to show off".

Also, probably that downscaling thing.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 21, 2018

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I imagine people that should be in place to remedy the situation sooner were either deep in Gamescom preparations or on vacation. Still, they should keep the Twitter crew on a tight leash, they are not Wendy's..

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
SJW's win again *slides on sunglasses* bitch.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Lol they put up a separate tweet apologizing for being rude to a small indie press outlet that swung by their booth and a bunch of alt-right shitheads descended into the comments screaming about how they shouldn't keep apologizing to those leftie trans snowflakes.

They're gonna be regretting that wayward tweet for the next week at least.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This thread got bad

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah its typically better to just delete and ignore.

If you apologise, you're gonna get the assholes.

If you don't apologise, you're gonna get angry people.

Just pretend it never happened tbh. Engaging is probably the worst thing a business can do. The amount of people who won't actually buy the game over a deleted tweet is probably <100

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/rysteez/...445432268861440 This is what the tweet was in response too apparently.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Well, the apologized. Can people breathe into a paper bag, calm down and maybe consider the game again? Or is the mortal wound too deep?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

dogstile posted:

Yeah its typically better to just delete and ignore.

If you apologise, you're gonna get the assholes.

If you don't apologise, you're gonna get angry people.

Just pretend it never happened tbh. Engaging is probably the worst thing a business can do. The amount of people who won't actually buy the game over a deleted tweet is probably <100

Mmmmmm maybe. Really the best move is apologize immediately and be very clear what you're sorry about. Failing to reframe what happened leaves it open for someone else to decide what you meant, and before you know it one rogue tweet from a bored intern trying to be hip has you publicly aligned with the American alt-right. Which will lose you way more than 100 customers once the trite thinkpieces from journalists trying to fill a 24-hour newscycle come out.

Really their biggest misstep here was taking so long to respond. 24+ hours might as well be a year in social media time.

Of course they're also a videogame company so the stakes are a bit lower. Not like they're Pepsi or a politician or something.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Shoehead posted:

People flipped their poo poo when they had to downscale some of the city stuff for Witcher 3 (which still looked amazing just not as amazing) and many people think they are trying not to set expectations too high

Graphics fetishism is so weird and so counterproductive. Force everyone to go back to Voodoo II cards, that's what I say.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Glenn Quebec posted:

Well, the apologized. Can people breathe into a paper bag, calm down and maybe consider the game again? Or is the mortal wound too deep?

Yeah let's get back to discussing all the new content they have premiered.

Oh, right.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yeah let's get back to discussing all the new content they have premiered.

Oh, right.

maybe if you stop being so indignant you could have watched the new screenshot they posted. they look cool

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Glenn Quebec posted:

lol at this

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

The best move would be moving to Instagram and limiting their activities to posting game material and comments full of stupid emoticons under cosplayers posts.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

maybe if you stop being so indignant you could have watched the new screenshot they posted. they look cool

I saw the screens. They look like the other earlier screens but with slightly different robot people. Neat.

Alright, good talk. Check back in next E3?

alex314 posted:

The best move would be moving to Instagram and limiting their activities to posting game material and comments full of stupid emoticons under cosplayers posts.

That's galaxy brain level social media moves right there. Twitter is just bad PR waiting to happen.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Glenn Quebec posted:

DoctorGonzo posted:

lol this poo poo is so loving pathetic

The criticism was deserved and the discussion around it was important. Grow the gently caress up.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

https://twitter.com/queer_queenie/status/1007755654142939138

They are really not doing very well right now.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Good to know people can't separate in game politics and real life politics

The "clean" thing is referring to what the characters in the universe think, but good luck telling twitter that.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

That's from June at the last reveal, nothing new. Maybe it ends up being super lovely towards trans people, maybe not. I'm willing to wait to find out, because last time people talked about it, they said that they meant about how some in-universe people felt about it, iirc.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I saw the screens. They look like the other earlier screens but with slightly different robot people. Neat.

Alright, good talk. Check back in next E3?

That's galaxy brain level social media moves right there. Twitter is just bad PR waiting to happen.

more interesting that whatever the gently caress you ara babbling around, thats for sure

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ravenfood posted:

That's from June at the last reveal, nothing new. Maybe it ends up being super lovely towards trans people, maybe not. I'm willing to wait to find out, because last time people talked about it, they said that they meant about how some in-universe people felt about it, iirc.

They seem really clumsy for a group trying to do serious work about identity and power.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

The silliest thing there was the naked woman in a tub thing. It's cliché damsel in distress stuff and whenever I see that sort of thing it reads like the dev was jerking off while they modeled the scene. The dev standing there and getting all auteur about it like the nudity makes it high art is a funny bit of juxtaposition.

"What is humanity? Are her breasts real? These are the deep questions we are forced to ask. Also if you rescue her you get a naked trading card."

DoctorGonzo posted:

more interesting that whatever the gently caress you ara babbling around, thats for sure

Whether you like it or not the Cyberpunk 2077 thread is the place to discuss posts on the official Cyberpunk 2077 twitter account. If you think I should stop the report button is right there, I'm sure the mods would be thrilled to hear from you.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

dogstile posted:

Good to know people can't separate in game politics and real life politics

The "clean" thing is referring to what the characters in the universe think, but good luck telling twitter that.

yes cyberpunk would never be a commentary on real world politics, all media is completely devoid of the context of its creation, very good take here

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

plz talk about the cyberpunk twitter feed somehere other than the cyberpunk thread cause it gets the OP mad and he will threaten to close his thread over it lol

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Glenn Quebec posted:

The consensus is that it's fine that they apologized you human shart.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

These devs created trading cards for getting sex from NPCs who only existed to give you video game sex and a bunch of other tactless stuff but I'm guessing Cyberpunk 2077 will be as transphobic as the last two Deus Ex games, whatever that means to the individual.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

yes cyberpunk would never be a commentary on real world politics, all media is completely devoid of the context of its creation, very good take here

Cyberpunk is very explicitly not about a progressive future, and the dual embrace of/hostility to transhumanism is a very common theme in the genre. I'm not sure what you're looking for here.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

They seem really clumsy for a group trying to do serious work about identity and power.

It does, yes. On the other hand, other contemporary commentary regarding the presence of other political themes in Cyberpunk, both as a genre and in the game, tended to be pretty good. Maybe they do some really good work on some political aspects and on others end up being really clumsy. That's certainly possible! Or we're reading way too heavily into a single partial quote about the thought process behind a massive collaborative work filtered through a journalist's impression.

vvvvv Yeah basically.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 21, 2018

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Witcher 3 was pretty well done but apparently people would rather predict the quality of this project based on some dumb tweets rather than their previous very similar game.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thread improved, carry one

Only registered members can see post attachments!

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Well that’s good, could probably be better but at least we can maybe move on.

In cyberspace, EVERYONE can hear you REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

My hope is that the bad joke was supposed to be a playful hint that they’ll have a nonbinary character option. Or just a pronoun choice.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Whoa, I didn’t know David Cage was writing for this game too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

DoctorGonzo posted:

thread improved, carry one

loooooooooooooooool