Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Darth Walrus posted:

He’s a pretty severely insensitive, racist rear end in a top hat, though, even if it’s not bound up in a codified ideology. That Japan trip was severely :stare:.

yea people forget because of the 'holy gently caress he did what in the suicide forest' but before that he was also running around throwing pokeballs at Japanese people shouting I think it was broken anime japanese? Dude's not a proper Trumpy type but he's a dumb white racist who genuinely doesn't comprehend that others have emotions and feelings that are valid so he's chud adjacent at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Jim Sterling is self aware enough that he stands out from a lot of the youtube game critics. His opinons aren't always the best, but he puts on a fun enough show that he's fun to watch even if you don't agree with him - he gets that sweet spot where he can put on arrogance as a joke, and it feels like an actual joke, rather than a shield from criticism. Remember when Spoony used to get criticised and instead of learning, he'd pull the 'it's not me, it's my character' thing, even though he'd blurred the line so much it didn't matter?

(We also need more Boglin watch).

It's interesting that the person who pretty much started the whole 'angry reviewer' thing, James Rolfe, is almost completely cut off from Internet Culture and outrage despite making his living online, and he's been pretty careful about what to show - I don't think he's even mentioned his political leanings in a video?

I think with this DIY internet video business, it's very important to decide how much of yourself you're going to share online, and to put clear boundaries on what is a character, what's real, what's private, and what you want to show.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 21, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Fair enough, no one really talks about that poo poo just the forest of death poo poo. I am never gonna watch one of his videos to find out.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Anti-Logan Paul videos are a cottage industry in and amongst themselves. H3H3 have done some interesting ones, and Quinton Reviews has some actually quite thoughtful analysis of Paul. Actually, Quinton Reviews is very good in general, and is well worth a look.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

OldMemes posted:

Anti-Logan Paul videos are a cottage industry in and amongst themselves. H3H3 have done some interesting ones, and Quinton Reviews has some actually quite thoughtful analysis of Paul. Actually, Quinton Reviews is very good in general, and is well worth a look.

Let's rip the bandaid off right off the bat, yeah?

Is The Last Jedi THAT Bad? | Quinton Reviews: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LFhRNp7wTM

e;
Also, How Spongebob Predicted Meme Culture: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcHt9tW8oo0

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 21, 2018

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Logan is an idiot. Trouble with him is I just never think he's grnuine about regretting the poo poo he's done. Like, KSI's hosed up in the past and hosed up bad but genuinely regretted it and made amends, and so I rather like him as a result - I wouldn't really have anyone else in that level as the UK's top YouTuber. But Logan just always seems to still be hoping that people are just going to forget eventually still rather than actually genuinely make amends.

One interesting angle in the interview I posted is that KSI kinda admits that, in doing this whole thing, he is kinda saving Logan Paul's career. He'd be in a much worse position now if it wasn't for this fight..like, even if sub numbers hardly fall to nothing overnight, the gradual degredation is real...I look around and I'm seeing it a lot with guys who were massive on YouTube in like, 2012-15*. Even if someone like Tyler Oakley's never exactly done anything wrong...jeez, you don't want to look at his numbers now. It's grim. This fight's stopped that happening to Logan any time soon.

*Of course, even if others from that era are suffering...there's always one consistent. Sorry folks, Felix is still very much the top dog.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just think Logan Paul deserves a beat down.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Taylor Oakley is ok, but like...he was kind of the point where I realized just how shockingly different a lot of subsets of queer culture is.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MariusLecter posted:

Let's rip the bandaid off right off the bat, yeah?

Is The Last Jedi THAT Bad? | Quinton Reviews: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LFhRNp7wTM

Very good video and also correct.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
This is a really good video discussing Logan Paul.

https://youtu.be/T11cQXL5dJw

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CelticPredator posted:

I just think Logan Paul deserves a beat down.

yea, regardless of other stuff, he's just one of those dudes it'd be really funny to see get his rear end beat.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
You know what would be even better? Never seeing or hearing about him ever again!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9l-O0GKQz8

New "Your Dinosaurs are Wrong" looking at baby sauropods.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You know what would be even better? Never seeing or hearing about him ever again!

But also he gets a beat down. That we never hear about of course.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
Apparently, Captain Disillusion was trending #1 in the UK for his Escher Staircase debunk. I hope he’ll see an explosion in his audience numbers.

https://twitter.com/cdisillusion/status/1031322663342546944

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLAwG7CjF_k

volts5000 fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 21, 2018

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Since I don't look for and watch a ton of these videos I rarely have anything to contribute but I stumbled across this and whew. The only thing I can say is 'cursed image'

You're also missing special guest 'Notch/ Boogie too' so just a sterling cast to surround yourself with. I'm sure it won't be long before Alex Jones drops by.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Is Kris Wilson a chud then? All I know about his work is that cyanide and happiness isn't as good as people seem to think.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

MariusLecter posted:

But also he gets a beat down. That we never hear about of course.

If a man is beat down in a forest, but no one is around to hear about it, is he truly beaten down?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Leal posted:

If a man is beat down in a forest, but no one is around to hear about it, is he truly beaten down?
The spirits of the dead can bear witness, and they are familiar with the guy already.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Leal posted:

Depends on who’s filming

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

RareAcumen posted:

Since I don't look for and watch a ton of these videos I rarely have anything to contribute but I stumbled across this and whew. The only thing I can say is 'cursed image'

You're also missing special guest 'Notch/ Boogie too' so just a sterling cast to surround yourself with. I'm sure it won't be long before Alex Jones drops by.

I've seen some Sam O'Nella videos and he seems fine. Am I missing something?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

volts5000 posted:

Apparently, Captain Disillusion was trending #1 in the UK for his Escher Staircase debunk. I hope he’ll see an explosion in his audience numbers.

Never heard of CD before now, but I just spent basically all afternoon watching. Super fun stuff.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Solitair posted:

I've seen some Sam O'Nella videos and he seems fine. Am I missing something?

Dabir posted:

Is Kris Wilson a chud then? All I know about his work is that cyanide and happiness isn't as good as people seem to think.

Oh I have no idea, I just wanted to draw attention to Count 'Gas the Jews?' Dankula and Chris 'Red Pill' Ray Gun specifically. They've had normal people on like Ray Narvaez Jr, Jerma985 and Jacksepticeye but I just wanted to bring attention to the two I mentioned before along with boogie and Notch. It's not that everyone in that list sucks, it's just that I couldn't get everyone in one picture.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Dankula is the only real "eeeeeehhhh nah gently caress off" one tbh. Irregardless of his dog training practices he's still a member of UKIP and poo poo who hangs with various supercunts (I mean, if I had a penny for every time I've heard the sort of "I'm gonna change the party from within!!!11" bollocks that he and Sargon have put out since joining...well, I'd have a pound at least. I wouldn't be rich but hey, it's enough to buy a Freddo)

(I find iDubbbz: Puerto Rican edition kinda amusing tbh)

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Kim Justice posted:

Dankula is the only real "eeeeeehhhh nah gently caress off" one tbh. Irregardless of his dog training practices he's still a member of UKIP and poo poo who hangs with various supercunts (I mean, if I had a penny for every time I've heard the sort of "I'm gonna change the party from within!!!11" bollocks that he and Sargon have put out since joining...well, I'd have a pound at least. I wouldn't be rich but hey, it's enough to buy a Freddo)

(I find iDubbbz: Puerto Rican edition kinda amusing tbh)

There must have been some sort of collected consciousness thing going on, because I was watching Cr1tical's videos the other day, and going through the uploads, I was a little taken back some of the guests that had been on there.

It also, unsurprisingly, came up on Twitter, which Cr1tikal responded to:

https://twitter.com/banditVEVO/status/1030617745942044673
https://twitter.com/MoistCr1TiKaL/status/1030931754746490880

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

volts5000 posted:

https://twitter.com/cdisillusion/status/1031322663342546944

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLAwG7CjF_k

I've liked CD for a long time. Of course he gets called "smug" a lot or criticized for having a youtube character - which has changed a bit throughout his tenure. One of his videos on a talk he had at the skeptics conference was basically an apology for some of his past mistakes in online behavior. But I think he's now more important than ever. I was caught up in some of the videos he debunked when I was younger because I didn't understand the lengths people would go to fool others with a youtube video.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

It's a tricky thing for someone who does podcasts I guess. I mean, Rogan has various folks on all the time including McFrogsGay JarofpicklesMan himself and he seems to mostly come out ok (even if he is a somewhat unaccepting member of the almighty INTELLECTUAL DARK WEB - or International Dork Web as he calls them).

Pretty much since Podcast #1 the True Geordie podcast has constantly had various people in the comments be like "GET TOMMY ROBINSON ON" which they've always been like "umm lol nah" - not surprising seeing as Laurence McKenna is as left/Corbyn supporter as they come (as are WillNE and Stephen Tries, the other members of the XO group) and Geordie is not the most political but he tends to skewer pretty left whenever these things come up, which isn't often. But would it be worth having a podcast where old TOMMEH Yaxley-Lennon Esq. is taken to task?...hmmm. On balance probably not which is why they're not bothering. Unless he's on the board to be the 100th Guest or something but I imagine that'll probably be them getting pissed as farts with like, Calfreezy, Jackmaate and Wroetoshaw or something like that.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

RareAcumen posted:

Are we still hating Fantano?

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Kim Justice posted:

It's a tricky thing for someone who does podcasts I guess. I mean, Rogan has various folks on all the time including McFrogsGay JarofpicklesMan himself and he seems to mostly come out ok (even if he is a somewhat unaccepting member of the almighty INTELLECTUAL DARK WEB - or International Dork Web as he calls them).

Pretty much since Podcast #1 the True Geordie podcast has constantly had various people in the comments be like "GET TOMMY ROBINSON ON" which they've always been like "umm lol nah" - not surprising seeing as Laurence McKenna is as left/Corbyn supporter as they come (as are WillNE and Stephen Tries, the other members of the XO group) and Geordie is not the most political but he tends to skewer pretty left whenever these things come up, which isn't often. But would it be worth having a podcast where old TOMMEH Yaxley-Lennon Esq. is taken to task?...hmmm. On balance probably not which is why they're not bothering. Unless he's on the board to be the 100th Guest or something but I imagine that'll probably be them getting pissed as farts with like, Calfreezy, Jackmaate and Wroetoshaw or something like that.

Rogan has had a lot of questionable people on, but then again he also has on folks like Neil degrasse Tyson.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

RareAcumen posted:

What sucks is that Huggbees (One of the Official Podcast guys) is really good, but whoever really runs the show, Charlie I guess (penguinz0) really gets the worst people.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Really good Twitter thread about performatively condescending YouTube critics:

https://twitter.com/InnuendoStudios/status/1031906752109920256?s=20

With these kind of creators, I think the audience has a bigger impact on criticism on the internet than the actual creators. The personality might be performative but the fans are completely sincere in their nitpicks and ridiculous anger.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

There must have been some sort of collected consciousness thing going on, because I was watching Cr1tical's videos the other day, and going through the uploads, I was a little taken back some of the guests that had been on there.

It also, unsurprisingly, came up on Twitter, which Cr1tikal responded to:

https://twitter.com/banditVEVO/status/1030617745942044673
https://twitter.com/MoistCr1TiKaL/status/1030931754746490880

"I don't understand why my skin color was thrown into this complaint"

Yeah, you wouldn't, you sheltered dork

(NB I don't know anything about this guy other than this tweet)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Plinkett was garbage and I’m glad they ditched him, but he always seemed like a weird transition point in youtube criticism where they felt they needed a character but mostly provided a transparently direct argument punctuated by “performed” hyperbole. I can’t argue that they kept him going because their fans loved him so much, though, or that the act got more elaborate and performative.

It’s pretty telling that out of the producers mentioned in the thread, only RLM have moved out from behind their dumb angry performance character, although I guess they still are pretty performative with “hilarious” depression jokes and Rich Evans loving the millennium falcon and what have you. Out of all the garbage white boys, they have 100% come the farthest in outgrowing all that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Plinkett hasn’t been ditched. The last one came out last year. I’m sure a TLJ one will drop sometime in the next few months. Mikes gotta lot of things to say about that film, and they aren’t done ragging on it yet.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The last one I remember was...Indiana Jones 4? I had no idea they did one for Star Wars 7 or the new Ghostbusters. Were they paywalled for a while or something?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

CelticPredator posted:

Plinkett hasn’t been ditched. The last one came out last year. I’m sure a TLJ one will drop sometime in the next few months. Mikes gotta lot of things to say about that film, and they aren’t done ragging on it yet.

And it's probably going to be more of a cringe-fest than the last one! It really seems like none of them have watched TLJ since the first time, latching onto their exaggerated impressions and stuff they came up with in the review when make reference to it. All they can ever seem to say about it is "SO MUCH SUBVERSION."

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

volts5000 posted:

Yeah I had never heard of the channel but he makes some amusing stuff.

Also by "coincidence" the video's with his friend/gf/wife (No idea and I forgot her name) tend to have way nastier comments. :v:

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6WqNVfH-zNw

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

TheMaestroso posted:

And it's probably going to be more of a cringe-fest than the last one! It really seems like none of them have watched TLJ since the first time, latching onto their exaggerated impressions and stuff they came up with in the review when make reference to it. All they can ever seem to say about it is "SO MUCH SUBVERSION."

Well yeah, im not gonna watch it because I can picture it and I highly doubt he’s going to change his mind... but the Ghostbusters one was really good and broke down why that movie was pretty bad.

Improv with a stake filled story is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

CelticPredator posted:

Well yeah, im not gonna watch it because I can picture it and I highly doubt he’s going to change his mind... but the Ghostbusters one was really good and broke down why that movie was pretty bad.

Improv with a stake filled story is bad.

I liked that one more their recent SW fare, for sure. Although I actually liked Shaun's video on GB2016 more than the Plinkett one.