Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

pubic works project posted:

Okay so I bet I'm the only one who has the Catch 3 Sunkern research yet doesn't get a Sun Stone as a reward. Instead I get Up-Grade (which I have 5 of) and Dragon Scale

I got an upgrade too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Done it twice, metal coat and a kings rock. Luckily I kept one of each evo item last time I had a clear out!

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

It should tell you on the quest screen which evo item you're going to get as a reward; if it's not the one you want, throw it away and keep checking more stops.

I'm reasonably sure I saw (and threw away) all the evo item quests on my hour walk this lunchtime, while looking for the "Evolve 3 Natu/Sunkern" quests.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

what are the wild encounter rewards for the johto fest quests. someone said porygon for “win a raid” i think

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

oddium posted:

what are the wild encounter rewards for the johto fest quests. someone said porygon for “win a raid” i think

Make 3 Excellent Throws - Onix or Scyther
Catch 5 Water Pokemon - Seadra or Polywhirl
Win a raid - Get Polygon
Make 4 Great Curveballs in a row - Miltank

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Pod6isjerks, you have excellent timing my dude. I was five seconds into a lucky egg when you just accepted that gift and pushed us up a friend level.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Okay so I bet I'm the only one who has the Catch 3 Sunkern research yet doesn't get a Sun Stone as a reward. Instead I get Up-Grade (which I have 5 of) and Dragon Scale

I've got that one as well. I think it's just a random evolution item.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
Found my city's Discord (Albuquerque), dang is it pretty dead. I would be so sad that I'd never get a Regirock, but I'm moving to North of Chicago in 13 days.
Wasn't there an Albuquerque goon in this thread?

CGH
Mar 31, 2010
That's cool, best bud Magikarp. Go ahead and say you've walked negative 0.5 km currently. It's not like I need 87,000 more candies from you or anything.

I restarted the game and that issue fixed itself, but I think I lost at least one candy I should have had from my walk. Bummer.

Also, I added my friend code to the spreadsheet, but be warned: I'm mostly stuck visiting the same boring stops over and over again so don't add me if that will bother you.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
OK, I need three friends for the Celebi quest. I've tried the twitter trick, but some Goons might be nice.

7608 3043 0838

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

My raid chat posted about an Unown appearing and I got there less than a minute after it despawned. :negative:

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
Feel free to add me on PoGo: 2347 7706 1458

I've reached the 3 new friend quest but the more friends the merrier.

I will go my hardest to get as many gifts from this pokestop as possible:

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I just had two larvitar spawn right on top of the group of poke stops where I was eating lunch.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I added a few far away people from the list, if anyone gets a request from Posthum.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Louisgod posted:

I got an upgrade too.

yeah I keep getting upgrades and metal coats. It just makes me wonder: why sunkern? Why only sunkern?

the evolve 3 natu/sunkern research task is also sort of ??? to me. are these making reference to pokemon tv show things I don't know, or are they just Niantic throwing darts at Johto pokemon to pick tasks?

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

OldMemes posted:

OK, I need three friends for the Celebi quest. I've tried the twitter trick, but some Goons might be nice.

7608 3043 0838

Sent

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
This 4 great curveballs in a row poo poo is infuriating.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Thanks for those who have sent friend codes. I seem to have some graphical issues after the last update - some of the medal icons have black marks on them, and the colours of some Pokemon seem a little off (but not in a shiny sense), and the transition from the overworld to the encounters seems to have changed. Anyone else having that?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Could you game the system a little by throwing a bunch of low-level balls at a high-CP, large-circle pokemon?

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

It's a real challenge, for sure. I spent some time trying to line up crowds of pokemans so I could land the first couple on tough ones and the last couple would have nice fat circles. That didn't work great.

Eventually got it from a piloswine. :toot:

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Wait until you get your 7 day research reward if you need to. Legendary pokemon will have a giant hitbox but low catch rate, plus if it's a research reward then it won't flee. You'll have an easier time getting great/excellent throws and if you screw up then it should still be there to keep trying.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Teeter posted:

Wait until you get your 7 day research reward. Legendary pokemon tend to have giant hitboxes and if it's a research reward then it won't flee. You'll have an easier time getting great/excellent throws and if you screw up then it should still be there to keep trying.

I've got the three excellents in a row quest and I'm waiting for my next Raikou for this. Nanab berries, pokeballs, and Raikou should let me get it.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I got it from a combination of Granbull, Hoppip and Pidgeotto, but it was heartbreaking getting to 3 in a row and the Pokemon just jumping over the ball...

Still, now that I've finally got Miltank in the dex, don't have to worry about it again. Guess now I should finally get my first Blissey? Walking the 700km for all the rare Hoenn Pokemon to evolve seemed like more fun.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

When I have bad luck with those I just treat it like a raid catch and wait for the attack animation.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

GOT IT! Finally! Took 2 successful throws on a Sentret, then a Ledyba, and finally another Sentret. All with Nanab berries.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Is that the only way to get Miltank outside of trading?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
It used to be in eggs, I imagine it'll go back in them at some point. Right now it might be the only way, yes.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Psion posted:

It used to be in eggs, I imagine it'll go back in them at some point. Right now it might be the only way, yes.

I saw one on radar this morning but I was lazy and didn't track it down. Guess I should have.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Psion posted:

yeah I keep getting upgrades and metal coats. It just makes me wonder: why sunkern? Why only sunkern?

the evolve 3 natu/sunkern research task is also sort of ??? to me. are these making reference to pokemon tv show things I don't know, or are they just Niantic throwing darts at Johto pokemon to pick tasks?

Once you get Pinecone and the evolution in your Pokedex, that quest is a total throwaway

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
Miltanks are fairly common here, saw two last night. I don't bother trying to catch them anymore.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

I found 2 of those reward Mons in the wild today so that quest is also a throwaway

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Is that the only way to get Miltank outside of trading?

They spawn in the wild, but good luck ever seeing one without a scanner. I got my first one at 9pm in light industrial zoned areas parking lot

LumpyGumby posted:

Miltanks are fairly common here, saw two last night. I don't bother trying to catch them anymore.

Wtf. This is like going to St Louis and seeing sunkern everywhere, I don't see them outside of events, ever

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

I'm definitely stoked about the sunkern quest. I haven't been playing enough to consistently nail the 7 days of pokestops thing for evolution items, and even when I do, I seem to only get the Kingrock and steelwhatever

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I need 3 new friends for the Celebi quest! I live in Boston and have plenty of friends here so would prefer distance in gifts. Not a big deal though!

4988 3994 7552

edit: I've got my friends from the quest but feel free to add me if you still need them.

Fritzler fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 21, 2018

AggroJagg
Mar 7, 2007
Hermits aren't broken, just favoured.
Like everyone else I’ve added the most recent goon codes from the thread chasing the celebi quest I’m in the UK so expect some gifts from places like ‘greater upper berkingshire village green’ and ‘London Pub’.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Wooo just caught a random shiny Pinecone sitting in my apartment.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Plenty of Sunkerns in beautiful Philadelphia. I have eight!

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Alright, guess I need some friends:
E: that's enough

Chill Penguin fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 22, 2018

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

OldMemes posted:

Thanks for those who have sent friend codes. I seem to have some graphical issues after the last update - some of the medal icons have black marks on them, and the colours of some Pokemon seem a little off (but not in a shiny sense), and the transition from the overworld to the encounters seems to have changed. Anyone else having that?

Yeah, that's the new normal. Niantic changed some settings in the latest update

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Well I've been playing like crazy the last 24 hours and I've easily spun 500 Stops. The update is mostly good and a nice change of pace. I only recently got into the game after playing only sporadically since the release.

Good:

Seeing different Pokemon in the world makes me want to open the app a lot more often. I'm getting a lot of Pokedex work completed!

The 'Win a Raid' Field Research quest is very smartly designed to appeal to me. Since I never ever see Porygons in the wild, I took the opportunity to load up 3x quest three times to blow through the evolution candy requirement. It convinced me to buy an Ultra Box to load up on Raid Passes and bonus goodies, and I usually don't spend money on mobile apps.

Bad:

It's been 24 hours and I never want to see another Sunkern quest. I have at least a half dozen of every evolution item and I don't need any more Pinecones either. It seems like 80% of the Field Research is catch/evolve 3.

Normal Research is much harder to find now. And some of the new Research seems much too rare; I only found '3 Great Throws' for Onyx/Scyther once, and that's the one I want.

Because of the new spawns, I didn't see one Magikarp all day yesterday and today, despite playing near ponds/rivers and rain all day today in my area. Guess I'm going to be stuck walking for a long time.

Chickorita is finally showing up, but seems as big of a pain to catch as the 3 starters. Really dumb to watch 200-400 cp Pokemon with no evolutions regularly break out of curved Great Balls. I just had a Bayleef break out of 3 Golden Razz curved Master Balls and flee. Totally ridiculous.

Overall I think it's been a nice change of pace despite the small complaints.

• Locked thread