Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
But it’s so brown that has to add value right?

I know I’m taking a leap on the miles but interior looks minty sheet says records to new. I’m just trying to step up my game. This is what I want to do. Of course I have 2 cars in my driveway I need to sell before this gets here. You don’t think this was a horrible buy or anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

everdave posted:

But it’s so brown that has to add value right?

I know I’m taking a leap on the miles but interior looks minty sheet says records to new. I’m just trying to step up my game. This is what I want to do. Of course I have 2 cars in my driveway I need to sell before this gets here. You don’t think this was a horrible buy or anything?

Nah not at all, I just can't give you any experienced advice for it. I stick to manuals since enthusiasts tend to like that. I do have a 4 door automatic Pajero but I didn't pay Toyota money for it, making it less than a leap and more of a small experiment from my POV.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
What did you have in Pajero? I thought this $6k was small time to get in the Cruiser game. When I was bidding on everything I lost Pajeros for more than that (and I’m glad I did).

The Jimny I bid on tonight (110k Matt suggested 200) went for 430! It didn’t even have seatbelts!

everdave fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 21, 2018

Riller
Jun 16, 2008

everdave posted:

Won Land Cruiser Prado. 24k km. 700k. Brown. Thoughts? Sheet says complete records to new.

Congrats man! I love the brown two-tone paint, the grille guard, and those seats. I think as long as it doesn't need anything mechanically and just some cleaning up you could probably come out pretty good on it. You're right though about that price being high for Pajeros, though. I have seen a few mint ones with sweet graphics going for that kind of money, but for the first gen Pajeros I've been looking at the average price is around 170k yen. That's for slightly higher mileage, mechanically sound but maybe needs paint work and a thorough cleaning kind of condition since I'm looking for a diesel toy for a few years, not trying to flip these and make a business or of it. Still, great find and looking forward to more pics upon port arrival.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Riller posted:

Congrats man! I love the brown two-tone paint, the grille guard, and those seats. I think as long as it doesn't need anything mechanically and just some cleaning up you could probably come out pretty good on it. You're right though about that price being high for Pajeros, though. I have seen a few mint ones with sweet graphics going for that kind of money, but for the first gen Pajeros I've been looking at the average price is around 170k yen. That's for slightly higher mileage, mechanically sound but maybe needs paint work and a thorough cleaning kind of condition since I'm looking for a diesel toy for a few years, not trying to flip these and make a business or of it. Still, great find and looking forward to more pics upon port arrival.

Thanks man. Yeah I'm looking forward to port pics, even Matt at JCD said he is excited to see port pics on this one. I feel pretty good that I can make decent on the Cruiser.

Now that Majesta is registered and insured I took it out around town today. Went and met two different buddies and took them out for drives. It is fast. Smooth. Built like a tank. Have a few things to figure out: HUD is not coming on and the door locks stopped "locking" with the switch, they lock fine with it. Need to get back in the fuse box. Also have to decide if I want to get this front bumper resprayed and then figure out what this is worth when I put it up for sale.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

everdave posted:

Thanks man. Yeah I'm looking forward to port pics, even Matt at JCD said he is excited to see port pics on this one. I feel pretty good that I can make decent on the Cruiser.

Now that Majesta is registered and insured I took it out around town today. Went and met two different buddies and took them out for drives. It is fast. Smooth. Built like a tank. Have a few things to figure out: HUD is not coming on and the door locks stopped "locking" with the switch, they lock fine with it. Need to get back in the fuse box. Also have to decide if I want to get this front bumper resprayed and then figure out what this is worth when I put it up for sale.

My experience is don't do any repairs that are more than $100 unless absolutely necessary. If you are trying to go for profit you want as little sunk costs as possible. Just post your ads up a little higher then when the buyer says "X isn't perfect" you cut him a deal and he feels like a winner.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

My experience is don't do any repairs that are more than $100 unless absolutely necessary. If you are trying to go for profit you want as little sunk costs as possible. Just post your ads up a little higher then when the buyer says "X isn't perfect" you cut him a deal and he feels like a winner.

Hmm, what I was thinking but...this front bumper is pretty rashed. If it was resprayed this thing would look mint (Majesta). Think I should list it as-is right now?

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

everdave posted:

Hmm, what I was thinking but...this front bumper is pretty rashed. If it was resprayed this thing would look mint (Majesta). Think I should list it as-is right now?

Post a pic and show us how rashed it is? Maybe you can get 75% there with cut and polish?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

beep-beep car is go posted:

Post a pic and show us how rashed it is? Maybe you can get 75% there with cut and polish?

I'll post a pic but previously showed Meatpimp and he said yeah respray. I'll go take a good pic, I drove it to work today.

Here ya go, and this is fresh off the boat. I haven't even washed it.

everdave fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 21, 2018

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
I'll be curious to see what you get for that, how much are LS400s of that generation going for?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

dphi posted:

I'll be curious to see what you get for that, how much are LS400s of that generation going for?

No clue. Really brought this one over first and cheap to learn how to do it. I'm comfortable now I have my people in place others should be easy. I am only into this with plates and everything delivered for $4200. With 6500 km on it there is no way I can't get $5k for it if it comes to that. Would really like to get $7500.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Oh yeah, forgot it had ridiculously low mileage, the tough part might be getting people to believe it since they can't really run a carfax.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

everdave posted:

No clue. Really brought this one over first and cheap to learn how to do it. I'm comfortable now I have my people in place others should be easy. I am only into this with plates and everything delivered for $4200. With 6500 km on it there is no way I can't get $5k for it if it comes to that. Would really like to get $7500.

i wouldn't paint that. It's better to use as a story, then have a cheap cover up that people will notice.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

i wouldn't paint that. It's better to use as a story, then have a cheap cover up that people will notice.

I will take your advice!

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

everdave posted:

I will take your advice!

Just use it to play into the story of an old guy owner. Worst that happens is no one bites then you can decide to paint it at that point.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
TURBO EPi

ELECTRONIC
PETROL
INJECTION

INTERCOOLER

Flaws:

I have no idea what the gently caress this big-rear end pile of wire is for.

1989 Suzuki Jimny ~TURBO~ in supremely excellent condition. Runs great, AC works as well as you can expect it to, and boy the cuteness is off the charts. The original owner (as I am the second, you see) had some sort of red seat covers on it the whole time as there is fine red fuzz on the seats in seams and around the piping. It would also match the red floor mats too for style. I did have to adjust the alternator and AC compressor position as the belts have gotten a bit loose causing them to howl if you turned the AC on. Going to go ahead and put in an order for all the belts as I can't figure out when they were last changed. 29000 original miles and fantastic graphics. Not a spec of rust anywhere on the thing BUT you might have noticed from the pictures the paint is covered in micro-scratches from what I assume is a brushed car wash that this was ran through regularly. The are very fine and cover every painted area. Stickers are great so I guess those hold up a lot better than the clear coat. Going to cut and polish it and assume that will take car of it. Wife has fallen in love, so we'll keep this one for a bit till we find ourselves infatuated with something else.
If anyone else is thinking about a Jimny do go with the 1990 and after JA11 657cc models as this JA71 version with the 543cc engine is geared lower, is slower, and doesn't have power steering. It's less powerful too but you can really feel it. Both are slow but I'd say the top speed of this blue Jimny at about 55 mph, where as the dark JA11 one we have can do 65mph+. Style wise though it's no contest, this blue Jimny wins on all fronts. the fog lights being in the front grill is superior to them being on the front bumper. The are also glass with the subtle 'Suzuki' name right in the center. The bubble top makes the inside a lot more pleasant than you'd think too. It isn't like the other one is uncomfortable but just like the performance difference, the inside of the bubble top makes it a nicer place to be.
This Jimny also has an after-market rear seat mount which allows you to slide it back and forward which is super handy. You can actually use the rear seats for real people with this adjuster!

EDIT
This hasn't been cleaned at all yet either, this is how it came off the boat. Same with the AZ-1 I posted earlier, that was fresh off the boat too but with me swapping the wheels.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 22, 2018

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

That boy has some charm to it

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That wiring is all for that Alpine head unit. I can see the plug for the optional CD changer, yellow and red power lines (ignition, batt) and the grey and green speaker wires. It would be pretty easy to clean that up honestly, there should be enough room behind the radio to stuff that poo poo in, it's just lazy wiring.

Take the doors off of it, it's lots of fun driving with no doors :)

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
The fat black cable looks like a mini din connector so maybe a CD changer was mounted there or something?

edit - beaten, looks like I left the page open for longer than I thought!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

KakerMix posted:

TURBO EPi

ELECTRONIC
PETROL
INJECTION

INTERCOOLER

Flaws:

I have no idea what the gently caress this big-rear end pile of wire is for.

1989 Suzuki Jimny ~TURBO~ in supremely excellent condition. Runs great, AC works as well as you can expect it to, and boy the cuteness is off the charts. The original owner (as I am the second, you see) had some sort of red seat covers on it the whole time as there is fine red fuzz on the seats in seams and around the piping. It would also match the red floor mats too for style. I did have to adjust the alternator and AC compressor position as the belts have gotten a bit loose causing them to howl if you turned the AC on. Going to go ahead and put in an order for all the belts as I can't figure out when they were last changed. 29000 original miles and fantastic graphics. Not a spec of rust anywhere on the thing BUT you might have noticed from the pictures the paint is covered in micro-scratches from what I assume is a brushed car wash that this was ran through regularly. The are very fine and cover every painted area. Stickers are great so I guess those hold up a lot better than the clear coat. Going to cut and polish it and assume that will take car of it. Wife has fallen in love, so we'll keep this one for a bit till we find ourselves infatuated with something else.
If anyone else is thinking about a Jimny do go with the 1990 and after JA11 657cc models as this JA71 version with the 543cc engine is geared lower, is slower, and doesn't have power steering. It's less powerful too but you can really feel it. Both are slow but I'd say the top speed of this blue Jimny at about 55 mph, where as the dark JA11 one we have can do 65mph+. Style wise though it's no contest, this blue Jimny wins on all fronts. the fog lights being in the front grill is superior to them being on the front bumper. The are also glass with the subtle 'Suzuki' name right in the center. The bubble top makes the inside a lot more pleasant than you'd think too. It isn't like the other one is uncomfortable but just like the performance difference, the inside of the bubble top makes it a nicer place to be.
This Jimny also has an after-market rear seat mount which allows you to slide it back and forward which is super handy. You can actually use the rear seats for real people with this adjuster!

EDIT
This hasn't been cleaned at all yet either, this is how it came off the boat. Same with the AZ-1 I posted earlier, that was fresh off the boat too but with me swapping the wheels.

Hey, does that have a turbo in it?

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

well I said I was out of the game, then Yoshi came peddling his drugs again. Just bid on this https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-28i83pvuJ0qyP4h.htm

will find out soon if my bid is enough.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Welp, another Atrai is on its way. Big differences from the last one, this has working AC and the Dual Sun/Moon Roof

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Someone start making these

for modern vehicles

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Hey so Kaker and I talked, we have a spreadsheet we have been keeping to try and create a good resource to get accurate prices. Its got a decent amount of historical data, if someone else in the thread wants in on the thread (and will add their own info) shoot me a PM with your email and I will invite you to the Google Doc. Just please take care of it, and hopefully it does not lead to problems if people are bidding on the same vehicles.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Hey so Kaker and I talked, we have a spreadsheet we have been keeping to try and create a good resource to get accurate prices. Its got a decent amount of historical data, if someone else in the thread wants in on the thread (and will add their own info) shoot me a PM with your email and I will invite you to the Google Doc. Just please take care of it, and hopefully it does not lead to problems if people are bidding on the same vehicles.

Can you let me in? I am getting a feel even though I've only got 2 vehicles won so far. I'll keep confidential.

Thanks for advice on Majesta.

Kaker: drat son that is a KILLER Jimny. So cool!

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

everdave posted:

Can you let me in? I am getting a feel even though I've only got 2 vehicles won so far. I'll keep confidential.

Thanks for advice on Majesta.

Kaker: drat son that is a KILLER Jimny. So cool!

I need your email. Send in a PM.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

I am restricting the old cells from being edited (just so we don't get an accidental loss of info). If I have chooched it let me know and I will try and just have it make backups everyday or something.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Welp, another Atrai is on its way. Big differences from the last one, this has working AC and the Dual Sun/Moon Roof

So what is this going to end up costing, ballpark wise?

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

BlackMK4 posted:

So what is this going to end up costing, ballpark wise?

2,149 USD Purchase Price
800 Yoshi fee
800 Shipping
100 Inland Shipping
125 Another Shipping fee
350 Duties and Fees
110 Port Fee
4,434 Total before state registration. I would round up and say 4,500. One of the guys that is a "partner" in this little experiment is likely going to buy this one from the other partners to keep for personal use.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Hey Kaker, what was that last military Mitsu jeep you posted called again? the one you said was a body swap or something?

I'm curious to know what years those were made and how long until we can import them here.

Riller
Jun 16, 2008

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Hey Kaker, what was that last military Mitsu jeep you posted called again? the one you said was a body swap or something?

I'm curious to know what years those were made and how long until we can import them here.

Kaker, please correct me if I'm wrong, but...

Are you referring to this thing? I remember it because I've been looking at Pajeros. If so, it was listed as a replica on a '93 chassis but according to Wikipedia they didn't start making the Type 73 until 1996. We're bidding on '93s and older now, so you've got 2-3 years before you can import a 1996, depending on what month it was made/registered.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

I fully realize this isn't what you are talking about but it is up tonight and looks very nice (for what it is)

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-lHzRsH9DES6husp.htm

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

everdave posted:

Won Land Cruiser Prado. 24k km. 700k. Brown. Thoughts? Sheet says complete records to new.

Hooo boy. I may have to try to talk my lady onboard with importing one of these babies in a couple years to replace my 3rd gen 4Runner. What a beauty.

They do pretty well on fuel mileage with the diesels yeah?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Goddamnit you bastards are going to get me divorced lol.
Love that Jimny, and jesus that Land Cruiser is nice everdave.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
I am obsessed with the Coaster, also super curious of the story behind this one’s decals.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Riller posted:

Kaker, please correct me if I'm wrong, but...

Are you referring to this thing? I remember it because I've been looking at Pajeros. If so, it was listed as a replica on a '93 chassis but according to Wikipedia they didn't start making the Type 73 until 1996. We're bidding on '93s and older now, so you've got 2-3 years before you can import a 1996, depending on what month it was made/registered.

Yeah that's it thanks. I'm thinking I might bid on one when it's legal to import depending on how much they are selling for. The Wranglers I have been looking at lately are poo poo piles for way too much money.

[e] if I could get one in white that would be awesome

[e2] Ooooh found a good detailed video. I am definitely wanting one of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRYyNmH86qk

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 22, 2018

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

The Wranglers I have been looking at lately are poo poo piles for way too much money.

Never buy new, m’man.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah new and slightly used can gently caress right off for that money.

The problem is the cheap (4 to 5k) used wranglers are complete garbage, and the middle of the road (6 to 8k) aren't much better, you have to spend at least 10 grand for a decent one and it's still gonna have 120k miles on it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Meat Dimension posted:

I am obsessed with the Coaster, also super curious of the story behind this one’s decals.
One of the Fukuoka Harley dealers is right near the airport, some further out by the looks of it. Probably a shuttle bus to cart people around. Fly your retired dentist rear end in, we'll take sir to the dealership and allow him to choose how to crash his kids' inheritance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Yeah that's the military Pajero model that I was talking about earlier, Riller nailed it.

LeeMajors posted:

Hooo boy. I may have to try to talk my lady onboard with importing one of these babies in a couple years to replace my 3rd gen 4Runner. What a beauty.

They do pretty well on fuel mileage with the diesels yeah?

I get an average of 22 mpg with a vast majority of our driving being in town with top speeds of around 50 mph on some sections. Like I was saying to everdave earlier though I don't know what an automatic 2.4 L with the extra weight on the back is going to be like in performance or fuel economy. We have a 2 door short wheelbase version. I don't know what the weight difference is between them is but I have to imagine quite a bit. People who "do" Land Cruisers generally dislike the 2.4 2LT engine that the brown one (and my white one) has. The 3 liter KZ one that was put into the Prado in 1993 is a much better engine from everyone who has an opinion.
Outside of that though we really like the Prado. It's very comfortable, AC will freeze your nuts off, has a pretty kickin' factory stereo and says "Land Cruiser" on the side. It also doesn't have a goofy dual-battery 24v electrical system.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 23, 2018