Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Don Dongington posted:

I feel like that's the first thing I would check.

Depends, is it a stock radio that powers up? Connections are probably solid, better check the speakers first. Aftermarket? I wouldn't even think to look for speakers until after the head unit was out and I was getting ready for a continuity test

Pulling the dash and manually tracing wires before pulling out a multimeter is... well, it's something

E:

Wasabi the J posted:

My sister bought a car for cheap, and wondered why the stereo didn't work.

The shop (she's not in my town) took out the whole dash, tested the connections, traced the cables...

No loving speakers.

Testing connections, either by physically making sure that the pins are connecting, or doing a continuity test, should immediately tip you off that there's no speakers. I think someone might be getting fleeced

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So I've owned several Pioneer head units with bluetooth, and the call quality is... shall we say, crappy. I know I'll never get OEM call quality from an aftermarket head unit, but my current one is truly terrible. Calls always sound muffled, and my current phone + HU combo leads to a lot of popping and beeping on calls (only audible on my end). People sound muffled to me, compared to holding the phone up to my ear, or using a BT headset. Current phone is an Essential PH-1, FWIW - my old phone (Nexus 6P) didn't have the clicking/beeping issue on BT calls (and it's only while on calls via the stereo, not via a BT headset), but call quality was still garbage.

My current head unit is a Pioneer DEH-X8600BH. I recently replaced the mic as the cable got damaged moving the head unit to a new car (didn't get an OEM mic); people say they can hear me a bit better, but it's still not great. I'm looking to replace the HU, since the CD player on it died (don't listen to CDs much, but it's still something I use occasionally), and the call quality issues are getting pretty old. The one I had before this one was a DEH-6400BT, same issues, across multiple phones with both head units.

Is the current crop of BT head units any better? Specifically I'm looking for something that's double DIN, with Android Auto and HD radio. CD player would be nice, but I can go without if it makes a big difference in price. I'm considering jumping ship to Kenwood, my issues with call quality on Pioneer HUs has kinda soured me on them.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
FWIW, I have a JVC KW-M730BT and am told that the Bluetooth sounds perfect as long as I'm not driving down the interstate with the windows down. I get "okay Google" to register in some surprising situations.

I also have a new in box JVC KW-M740BT due to a mixup that I need to get rid of if you are interested. *wink* No CD player, though.

JVC KW-M740BT Apple CarPlay, Android Auto 2-DIN AV Receiver (No CD Drive) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079MGC44Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_ZxXuBb5YS5G9N

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

The Door Frame posted:

Testing connections, either by physically making sure that the pins are connecting, or doing a continuity test, should immediately tip you off that there's no speakers. I think someone might be getting fleeced

He initially assumed it was an issue with the aftermarket headunit, since that's the component my father installed before she picked it up.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

STR posted:

Is the current crop of BT head units any better? Specifically I'm looking for something that's double DIN, with Android Auto and HD radio. CD player would be nice, but I can go without if it makes a big difference in price. I'm considering jumping ship to Kenwood, my issues with call quality on Pioneer HUs has kinda soured me on them.

I've had three Pioneer head units and have never had these issues. Pioneer AVH X5700BHS, AVH 4200NEX, and AVH 3300NEX. The 4200NEX fits the bill you want. It is double din, has Android Auto, bluetooth, and all sorts of A/V flexibility including rear view camera capability and DVD playback. The only downside in my opinion is the lack of a volume knob. But I integrated mine into my steering wheel controls so it ends up being okay.

Also might I suggest calling Pioneer and see what they say? It could be a simple problem they are aware of.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is it a bad idea to split a line voltage between 2 devices ? I'm planning on daisychaining the RCA line between the rear channel and the subwoofer.

This way I can fade the volume forward when doggo and catte are in the back.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

um excuse me posted:

I've had three Pioneer head units and have never had these issues. Pioneer AVH X5700BHS, AVH 4200NEX, and AVH 3300NEX. The 4200NEX fits the bill you want. It is double din, has Android Auto, bluetooth, and all sorts of A/V flexibility including rear view camera capability and DVD playback. The only downside in my opinion is the lack of a volume knob. But I integrated mine into my steering wheel controls so it ends up being okay.

Also might I suggest calling Pioneer and see what they say? It could be a simple problem they are aware of.

Same, I have the 8700 in my WJ and have the mic mounted right in front of the gauge cluster. I rarely use it but haven't had any complaints.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'd also like to upgrade the HU on my wife's Scion XD. It has a stock Pioneer double din, if I just buy another Pioneer am I gonna have to splice a new harness or are theirs universal?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
All three head units I have had has had the same pin layout and connector.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

um excuse me posted:

All three head units I have had has had the same pin layout and connector.

Sweet.

I kind of suck at this stuff, last time I had to do an install AI (STR) saved my rear end.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

um excuse me posted:

They blame the phone.

I may try moving the mic, right now it's on the A pillar (had it mounted to the mirror for a bit too, since that's where the factory mic is). It may be better if it's a bit lower. But the random clicks, pops, beeps, etc get really annoying. That started when I got my current phone, which is significantly newer than the stereo.

I'm also just looking for an excuse to finally go to double DIN + Android Auto.

Rhyno posted:

I'd also like to upgrade the HU on my wife's Scion XD. It has a stock Pioneer double din, if I just buy another Pioneer am I gonna have to splice a new harness or are theirs universal?

Pioneer's been using the same harness for ages.

Uthor posted:

FWIW, I have a JVC KW-M730BT and am told that the Bluetooth sounds perfect as long as I'm not driving down the interstate with the windows down. I get "okay Google" to register in some surprising situations.

I also have a new in box JVC KW-M740BT due to a mixup that I need to get rid of if you are interested. *wink* No CD player, though.

JVC KW-M740BT Apple CarPlay, Android Auto 2-DIN AV Receiver (No CD Drive) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079MGC44Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_ZxXuBb5YS5G9N

I may be quite interested, but it'd have to wait until after my move - all of my money at the moment is tied up in moving expenses.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STR posted:

Pioneer's been using the same harness for ages.

Excellent. She'd like a HU with bluetooth, android audio etc. Anything you'd recommend?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

STR posted:

So I've owned several Pioneer head units with bluetooth, and the call quality is... shall we say, crappy. I know I'll never get OEM call quality from an aftermarket head unit, but my current one is truly terrible. Calls always sound muffled, and my current phone + HU combo leads to a lot of popping and beeping on calls (only audible on my end). People sound muffled to me, compared to holding the phone up to my ear, or using a BT headset. Current phone is an Essential PH-1, FWIW - my old phone (Nexus 6P) didn't have the clicking/beeping issue on BT calls (and it's only while on calls via the stereo, not via a BT headset), but call quality was still garbage.

My current head unit is a Pioneer DEH-X8600BH. I recently replaced the mic as the cable got damaged moving the head unit to a new car (didn't get an OEM mic); people say they can hear me a bit better, but it's still not great. I'm looking to replace the HU, since the CD player on it died (don't listen to CDs much, but it's still something I use occasionally), and the call quality issues are getting pretty old. The one I had before this one was a DEH-6400BT, same issues, across multiple phones with both head units.

My AVIC has never really had any problems with call quality.

Sehnsucht
Aug 2, 2003
Damn you and your daily doubles you brigand!
I've been pulling my hair out over which headunit to get for a 2014 Tiguan. I really detest the stock VW maps / head unit experience and miss Android Auto from the rental cars I get when I'm on the road. I've been looking at a few head units, but basically I want:

1. Android Auto + Apple Carplay. Good "Okay google" functionality if that makes any sense.
2. Physical buttons or connectivity to the steering wheel controls via maestro or something.
3. < $1000
4. SXM tuner is a bonus.

Don't need DVD, and not sure if I want something with onboard maps / nav. Are any of the onboard navigation systems better than something like google maps?

Also, I have the Fender OEM sound system. Would I notice a difference in sound quality from a nicer HU on the stock speakers?

Overall, I'm unsure what I get going from something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-DDX9704S-Receiver-CarPlay-Android/dp/B073HV44CM#customerReviews or this https://www.sony.com/electronics/in-car-receivers-players/xav-ax200

to this:

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/GPS-Navigation/AVIC-W8400NEX

Any help in figuring out which model I actually want?

Sehnsucht fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 6, 2018

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

'15 Civic. I want something with Android Auto. Will I definitely lose my fuel economy info and will it render the small display in the upper dash useless?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The only thing I wish my XAV AX100 had would be a slightly brighter and larger capacitive touch screen

Sehnsucht
Aug 2, 2003
I went Kenwood DDX9704 for the same price as the AX5000. I'm definitely paying for the diff in the Maestro harness poo poo but I'll report back after.

Sehnsucht
Aug 2, 2003
Okay, the Maestro RR is awesome. This saved me tons of work and a whole bunch of VW related poo poo just works that I wasn't expecting.

Day 2 impressions of the DDX9704s - Solid headunit, things move quickly enough on it and it's great for Android Auto.

Regarding your cluster in your Civic, I'd check into the iDatalink Maestro RR and see what gets retained; My MFD (Volkswagen HUD in the dash) works perfectly and takes data from the Maestro and Kenwood HU.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Is there a standard / easy way to mirror my audio out to either a stereo jack or a pair of RCAs?

Someone put a lovely old subwoofer out on the curb for trash and I brought it home and it more or less works, it's not a good quality sub brand-new. Since it's already garbage I want to see if I can get it working in the back of my '15 Fit, as much for a science experiment as anything else. I was testing it with an old boombox and it seems to just pick up LFE when I use RCA cables so mirroring that or a stereo plug with a Y-adapter would be ideal, is that something I could splice in and just have the extra connectors tucked under a seat or something?

vvv Yep, that looks like exactly what I need, I just didn't know what it was called. :thanks:

edit: Slight follow up question: all the videos I'm seeing on Youtube show the Line Converter being used to redirect the signal from the headunit to an amp, that is then output back to the door speakers. Am I safe in assuming that if instead of cutting the wires going to the speakers I instead spliced them in with the Line Converter that the signal would go to my speakers and the Converter both? I don't think that should draw any additional power but also I have no idea what I'm doing so thought I'd ask.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 18, 2018

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
My best answer is splicing into the speaker output of the stereo signal you want to copy with a Line Out Converter. Voilą, RCA pre-amp levels. They're plenty cheap and often have crossovers built right into them.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I'mm looking to replace/upgrade the HU the stock one in my 07 Volvo S60R. I've got a P/O installed Parrot Mki9200 that is getting old/annoying/stupid (can't update FW, remote is flaky at best and remote is the SOLE control option) that i'm ready to part with.

I think I've got it down to a few head units and wanted to see what the AI-hivemind has to say.

Kenwood Excelon DDX9903S
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_613DDX9903/Kenwood-Excelon-DDX9903S.html

Sony XAV-AX100
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158XAV100/Sony-XAV-AX100.html

Sony (Bigger screen, no vol knob)
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158XAV5000/Sony-XAV-AX5000.html

Pioneer MVH-2400NEX
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_1302400NEX/Pioneer-MVH-2400NEX-does-not-play-CDs.html

Advantage Kenwood/Sony: Capacitive Touch Screen
Advantage Sony: Physical Volume Knob (moot point if I can get the steering wheel controls to work)

Cons: I've heard recent updates that Android 9 Pie is wrecking people's poo poo depending on model.

Replacement Cons: Lose the factory 5.1/amp setup under the passenger seat. lose dash center channel. lose backup parking radar beepy thing. Also, paying someone else to install it because P/O already has other poo poo installed, plus see above about factory amp wiring BS. Also paying/buying a backup cam to integrate.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Takes No Damage posted:

edit: Slight follow up question: all the videos I'm seeing on Youtube show the Line Converter being used to redirect the signal from the headunit to an amp, that is then output back to the door speakers. Am I safe in assuming that if instead of cutting the wires going to the speakers I instead spliced them in with the Line Converter that the signal would go to my speakers and the Converter both? I don't think that should draw any additional power but also I have no idea what I'm doing so thought I'd ask.

That video is using them in a way that is not common. What you want to do is typical use case for LOCs. So yeah you're fine it won't effect the speaker signal.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

I have a 2010 RAV4 with the lowest trim and want to find a way to get nav and Bluetooth integration (and my wife would love a backup camera, I guess). I need to replace the head unit to get that,but haven't been able to find much in the way of reviews. Where should I be looking to find something to throw in there?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Look at Crutchfield.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Uthor posted:

Look at Crutchfield.

Perfect. Trust the star ratings and comments?

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Preface: I know nothing about car audio, it was never really a big deal until I got a really quiet DD.

Facts: 2016 Hyundai Sonata Plug In Hybrid
Infinity Sound System (Many speakers? and 400 Watt amp I think)

Wants: Was in a top spec Macan with a 900 Watt amp and premium audio. The sound was just alot more clear and the tones were better.

Question: 1) Is it possible to "upgrade" the AMP and speakers and keep the same screen /head unit from the factory? This is a pic of a similar unit :
2) If this is possible what should I look at getting as far as parts?

Sehnsucht
Aug 2, 2003

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

1) Is it possible to "upgrade" the AMP and speakers and keep the same screen /head unit from the factory? This is a pic of a similar unit
2) If this is possible what should I look at getting as far as parts?

1) I'll wait for someone to correct me (e.g. there's something proprietary in Hyundai sound systems that fucks up when you tear out the stock amp / speakers), but yes. At a high-level, you want to gut the factory sound equipment from the headunit outward, removing the factory amp and factory speakers. Either use a harness or just run the signal wires that go to the stock amp / stock speakers into the new 4 channel (or 5 if you're doing a sub), and then run the wiring to the new speakers.
2) Use a website like crutchfield.com to figure out the speaker sizes in your car and report back. I can help pick out an amp and speakers if you give a budget.

You going to do this yourself or have a shop install it?

Sehnsucht
Aug 2, 2003

Zauper posted:

Perfect. Trust the star ratings and comments?

Ehh yeah. It's not as good as it used to be but it's directionally correct. What's your budget?

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Sehnsucht posted:

Ehh yeah. It's not as good as it used to be but it's directionally correct. What's your budget?

1k? Feels like that should be enough.

Sehnsucht
Aug 2, 2003
I'd say so. Are you set on on-board Nav? Or would Android Auto / Apple Carplay be good enough?

But anyways:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DNX694S/Kenwood-Excelon-DNX694S.html?tp=20212&avf=Y
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_1305201NEX/Pioneer-AVIC-5201NEX.html?tp=20212
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500INEW9HD/Alpine-INE-W960HDMI.html?tp=20212

These all have onboard navigation, but to be honest Google Maps or Waze via Android Auto > most GPS on headunits I've used, and supposedly Apple is going to allow use of Google Maps via CarPlay soon. Cutting out nav would save you $200-300.

Edit: I didn't check to see if these are all capacitive touch screens (you want that). Will be in front of a computer in a few hours.

Sehnsucht fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 8, 2018

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Sehnsucht posted:

I'd say so. Are you set on on-board Nav? Or would Android Auto / Apple Carplay be good enough?

But anyways:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DNX694S/Kenwood-Excelon-DNX694S.html?tp=20212&avf=Y
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_1305201NEX/Pioneer-AVIC-5201NEX.html?tp=20212
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500INEW9HD/Alpine-INE-W960HDMI.html?tp=20212

These all have onboard navigation, but to be honest Google Maps or Waze via Android Auto > most GPS on headunits I've used, and supposedly Apple is going to allow use of Google Maps via CarPlay soon. Cutting out nav would save you $200-300.

Edit: I didn't check to see if these are all capacitive touch screens (you want that). Will be in front of a computer in a few hours.

Android auto + apple carplay (we have different device ecosystems) would be sufficient. Can always plug in. Being somewhere without internet access and thus no way to get a map isn't a big concern.

I'll look at these, thanks!

Sehnsucht
Aug 2, 2003

Zauper posted:

Android auto + apple carplay (we have different device ecosystems) would be sufficient. Can always plug in. Being somewhere without internet access and thus no way to get a map isn't a big concern.

I'll look at these, thanks!

Same situation with me. Get a headunit with two or more USB ins, and run USB extensions off the headunit and then 1 cable for each phone off of the extensions. I have 3 set up (type c, lightning, micro usb) and im glad I ran all 3 the first time.

Wokrider
Dec 4, 2012
Cross post from Stupid questions thread.

Just bought a 2016 Mazda CX-5, love the car but the audio quality could be better.
I want to get a amp to get some better quality sound from the stock six speaker setup and add a 8 or 10 inch sub under the passenger seat for some bass.
I have no idea where to start with finding a amp and woofer, I've been looking at a sub/amp combo but from what I understand that will not provider any better quality from my stock speakers so I'm trying to figure out how to make this work without spending a asinine amount for a install, local shop quoted 400-500$ out the door for sub with amp install locally.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Why do you feel that an aftermarket amp is the solution to your sound quality woes? I've amplified factory (rear mostly) speakers before, and it really doesn't make a descernible improvement in my experience.

I would definitely consider whether replacing your factory front speakers (midbass and tweeters) with a set of nice Polk or Hertz or similar splits makes more sense. Might be a better choice if you're budget constrained. Alternatively, changing head units can make a big difference. I think the mazda factory HUs are pretty notorious for being a bit poo poo, but often can't be removed so that's a factor.

If you have done some homework and you're sure it's an amp issue, I'd get one of the new integration amps designed to run off factory gear like the Audiocontrol stuff, or one of the little alpine ones.

For your sub, you're not going to get huge bass from and underseat solution, but there's a number of active and passive solutions available. Just consider wiring and amp placement carefully before pulling the trigger on a product.

Note if you have a Bose system, typically the whole lot has to come out to improve anything.

Wokrider
Dec 4, 2012
I don't know jack poo poo about car audio so I made the assumption that the Amp would be able to push the stock speakers for a better sound, I had a protege5 and changed the head unit and noticed a considerable difference in audio quality. I had Bose audio in my mazda3 I traded toward this CX-5 so I avoided getting the Bose package again.

Treat me like a car audio idiot because I am haha, I don't want to bump bass hard or crank my lovely taste in music to others enjoyment I just want to get some good quality sound and bass. I'm looking at changing out the stock speakers now and it looks to be the same price as getting a Amp/Sub installed if not less so I'm leaning toward that instead Per your suggestion too Don. Any advice? Crutchfield has a good deal on Rockford Fosgate R165X3's so I'm looking at getting two sets one for the front&back.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Don't worry about the back speakers just yet. Almost all of what you hear is from the front.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Wokrider posted:

I don't know jack poo poo about car audio so I made the assumption that the Amp would be able to push the stock speakers for a better sound, I had a protege5 and changed the head unit and noticed a considerable difference in audio quality. I had Bose audio in my mazda3 I traded toward this CX-5 so I avoided getting the Bose package again.

Treat me like a car audio idiot because I am haha, I don't want to bump bass hard or crank my lovely taste in music to others enjoyment I just want to get some good quality sound and bass. I'm looking at changing out the stock speakers now and it looks to be the same price as getting a Amp/Sub installed if not less so I'm leaning toward that instead Per your suggestion too Don. Any advice? Crutchfield has a good deal on Rockford Fosgate R165X3's so I'm looking at getting two sets one for the front&back.

My WRX had awful audio quality from the factory, extremely low fidelity, sounded like I was listening through a paper cup. I independently tried a barrage of things to see what would work. I tried an amp and sub, made things worse. Then I upgraded the head unit and it was miraculously, significantly, better. The Clarion it came with is hot garbage and I'm convinced it was one of the things they sacrificed to meet their introductory pricing. I later added a sub/amp to the head unit which actually did make it better. The speakers are all otherwise stock and the quality is on the higher end of what you might hear in a car. At the very least they outperform the sound insulation, which is now the weak link in the chain.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Rockford gear is good but usually on the pricey end. JL, Hertz, Polk, Morel, RF and a few other brands have decent mid range stuff that won't break your bank. If you don't want to venture down the rabbit hole of door treatments and dynamat, just get a set of mid range component speakers for now.

I don't know what the head unit in your car is like, but if it isn't a Bose product and has an aux in and Bluetooth, your next step after the speakers may be to get an integration amp like the ones I mentioned above. Audiocontrol stuff comes pretty highly regarded. I think Kicker make a similar product. You can get 2 4 or 5 channel options and the better ones will compensate for the factory head units' tendency to roll off bass as the volume goes up ( so you can't blow the lovely 12W factory speakers).

I wouldn't go out and buy a big honking amp if you're not dropping a big sub in. 50w RMS per channel will be all you need.

Don't upgrade the rear speakers ever. There are so many things that are more crucial to the sound than that that they should only be upgraded if you get some free coaxials or you run out of poo poo to spend money on.

Wokrider
Dec 4, 2012
I ended up getting a Pioneer GM-D1004 Amp and some Rockford Fosgate R165X3 For the front and rear speakers. I ended up getting back speakers just because they were on sale so I bit the bullet on those too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Wokrider posted:

I ended up getting a Pioneer GM-D1004 Amp and some Rockford Fosgate R165X3 For the front and rear speakers. I ended up getting back speakers just because they were on sale so I bit the bullet on those too.

Your front doors don't have tweeters? Because if they do, those aren't a good choice.