Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Just a PSA: rock climbing is awesome in many ways but it's also a great way to get really stubborn injuries in everything in shoulders, elbows and fingers. So don't overcook it. I'm nursing a decade old golfer's elbow because of my ego writing checks my fat rear end couldn't cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

bolind posted:

Just a PSA: rock climbing is awesome in many ways but it's also a great way to get really stubborn injuries in everything in shoulders, elbows and fingers. So don't overcook it. I'm nursing a decade old golfer's elbow because of my ego writing checks my fat rear end couldn't cash.

Ironically I injured my elbow because we got given new desks that I can't comfortably sit at and use a mouse without hanging my elbow off the desk. The lamest of injuries.

In other injury news I was cycling home from work last night, cornered and tried to put down the power too early. Pedal met tarmac and spat me off. :v:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Height: 6'3"
Weight @ Start: 322.2 June 6th
Weight (current): 293 As of Monday
Weight (EoY Goal): 265
Weight (stretch goal): 235

I'm down 30lbs since June, and am working with a trainer 2x a week now.
Did a month of Keto to jump start things and am now just focused on balanced diet but portion control with a bit of intermittent fasting (aka skipping dinner during the work week).

Goal: Fit in all the coasters @ Cedar Point then buy a loving bespoke suit.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 21, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

toplitzin posted:

Goal: Fit in all the coasters @ Cedar Point then buy a loving bespoke suit.

Good goals! I bought a LOT of suits and being skinny makes suiting up so much easier.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

BitBasher posted:

Okay, fine.

I have a home gym (This One) and I should be using it. I need a workout routine for something balanced. Can anyone point me to a website for setting up a basic balanced routine day by day? Thanks in advance.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3654674
This is what most Beginner goon's use for starting out routines.

Almost all of those Barbell exercises in that thread can be substituted with your machine. You can follow the set/rep schemes and the exercise splits outlined in that thread, but just use your home gym's various exercise attachments and movements instead.

Dennis McClaren fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 21, 2018

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Want to get in on this, but I'm more concerned about cardio and endurance than specific weight loss.

I'm mid 40s, about 5'11, hover around 220ish and have hardly done anything for diet other than I've been trying to cut back on the alcohol and the super obvious bad stuff.. of which I still have a sweet/salty tooth and indulge periodically but not everyday.

As it is, my weight has been quite consistent for the past year but I've dropped about 4" of waist, muscle mass has obviously increased and cardio is miles better than before.

My workout routine is Taekwondo training 2-3x per week, which is a very intense hour which generally consist of an intense warm up and various drills for 40-45 minutes (depending on the instructor different focus points, almost always cardio heavy) and then it's usually full out sparring with various partners 1.5-3 minutes at a time for about 15 minutes, which is, simply put, exhausting. If you haven't seriously sparred/fought as an adult, try it. It's amazing how utterly exhausting fighting is. And then you have to do it all over again. Several times. And that's what I want to work on, get my endurance up so I think I want stamina focus.

If I lose more fat, that's fantastic, I'd be very happy with 200lbs, ecstatic for 180-190 but I just want to get my stamina up. Weight loss is almost a secondary goal.

Thoughts? Any foods that I might want to avoid/focus on? I'm not sure how much more time I can further dedicate to working out but can try a bit. An hour every other day is probably not sustainable.

Also, those of you talking about fiber intake, I've been eating a good helping General Mills Original Fiber 1 cereal for breakfast with a sprinkling of pomegranate seeds for some more flavor and it's been giving me pretty much my entire daily amount of fiber right there. The taste isn't the best, but it's not awful and the bit of pomegranate (or whatever fruit you would like) makes it decent and I'm not sick of it yet. Might be worth a try.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

slidebite posted:

If I lose more fat, that's fantastic, I'd be very happy with 200lbs, ecstatic for 180-190 but I just want to get my stamina up. Weight loss is almost a secondary goal.

Thoughts? Any foods that I might want to avoid/focus on? I'm not sure how much more time I can further dedicate to working out but can try a bit. An hour every other day is probably not sustainable.

Thoughts are that your martial arts training is great, but it's just not enough. Building endurance requires consistent cardio output spread out on a daily basis. If you can spare 20 minutes out of the 24 hours you have in a day - then you can raise your endurance.
Interval training is a great method for bringing up endurance. For 20 minutes, work with 5 min jogs, 5 min sprints, alternating. Doing this for 20 mins, 5 times a week on top of your martial arts training will give you an added boost.
With foods you want to continue to eat clean, and focus on avoiding the obvious traps of sugars and trans/sat fats. Keep a good balance of 60/40 protein and carbs, making sure that the protein you eat is complete (all the amino acids, not just something like peanuts), and same goes for the carbs. Make sure the carbs come from healthy, whole food sources. Avoid anything manufactured, and try to shop on the outside aisles of the grocery store - fresh foods.
Remember the food you eat the day before, is what fuels your workouts today. Don't think that by jamming down carbs 3 hours before you train that they'll be available to fuel your endurance. They won't. Eat right everyday.
Endurance comes with consistent cardio training; interval training being a great option. You don't need an hour of cardio everyday. Even just 30 minutes of steady-state cardio is better than nothing.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Decided to finish back day today. More shrugs as they just didn't feel like I hit them very well during the abbreviated session yesterday, then three row variants (lying T-bar, seated machine, wide-grip cable). Finished up with biceps -- barbell, cable, standing fly machine, preacher -- and then reverse wrist roller.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
GAH I want to get out of South Boston and get much less sick so I can go work out again. Looking like Thursday night at earliest. I can feel my muscles atrophying.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

slidebite posted:

Also, those of you talking about fiber intake, I've been eating a good helping General Mills Original Fiber 1 cereal for breakfast with a sprinkling of pomegranate seeds for some more flavor and it's been giving me pretty much my entire daily amount of fiber right there. The taste isn't the best, but it's not awful and the bit of pomegranate (or whatever fruit you would like) makes it decent and I'm not sick of it yet. Might be worth a try.

Track your calories ruthlessly and honestly for a couple weeks, then go over it for trends. You cannot correct your nutrition until you know exactly what you're taking in, and you may be really surprised what you're eating that has a shitload of calories in it that you wouldn't expect.

Today: Got that 5k in. It was more of a stroll than a jog so it took me most of an hour, but it was nice out this morning.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 22, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I nailed 20K steps yesterday and weighed in at 167. Feeling drat good!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
The best part about feeling like you're dying is that it makes it hard to overeat

bolind posted:

I'm well aware of how bad you can hurt yourself with bodyweight exercises alone, but you're definitely right that I should try something a little less extreme since I'm in much worse shape than I expected

Liquid Communism posted:

Track your calories ruthlessly and honestly for a couple weeks, then go over it for trends. You cannot correct your nutrition until you know exactly what you're taking in, and you may be really surprised what you're eating that has a shitload of calories in it that you wouldn't expect.

Today: Got that 5k in. It was more of a stroll than a jog so it took me most of an hour, but it was nice out this morning.

Along with this, if you're going to seriously track calories, get a good food scale. They're like $12 and are good kitchen tools even if you're not obsessively logging every calorie you eat. You'll quickly find that nutrition labels' serving sizes aren't accurate unless you go by the weight of the food

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The Door Frame posted:

Along with this, if you're going to seriously track calories, get a good food scale. They're like $12 and are good kitchen tools even if you're not obsessively logging every calorie you eat. You'll quickly find that nutrition labels' serving sizes aren't accurate unless you go by the weight of the food

It's also the most accurate way to bake. A cup of flour can hold widely varying quantities (and calories!) depending on how tight it's packed, but 100 grams is always gonna be 100 grams.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Biked 8km to work, 8km home from work yesterday. Goddamn stupid rear end headwinds suck.

Followed up with an hour of crossfit, plenty of shoulder presses, love them. Also plenty of burpees, don't love those.

I ache like a motherfucker all over today.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Enourmo posted:

It's also the most accurate way to bake. A cup of flour can hold widely varying quantities (and calories!) depending on how tight it's packed, but 100 grams is always gonna be 100 grams.

Baking is just chemistry, but usually delicious and nontoxic, and may god help the poor bastards who try to do any real chemistry with a teaspoon

But even outside of baking and chemistry, it's good for using European recipes in your kitchen. My grandma was asking to borrow my scale the other day, she has a bunch family recipes from the old country that were written in in mass instead of volume like Americans do. I'm just going to buy her a scale instead. ~$15 so I can try super authentic svickova, knedliky, golubtsy, and half a dozen different kinds of dumplings?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
https://www.strava.com/activities/1789348849

Hopefully I can back it up tomorrow.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

The Door Frame posted:

The best part about feeling like you're dying is that it makes it hard to overeat

This is me and cardio. I always feel super loving hot and less hungry. Win win! I did some back/shoulder/bicep stuff yesterday. :effort: Hopefully trails are dry enough today to bike, otherwise I'll gently caress around in parking lots practicing skills and try not to bust my rear end in front of people again.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
20min of cardio for me is just warming up, but i suppose 20-30min every day vs none is better than nothing. And I guess i can't say what would be better given the same time per week - like an hour every other day instead? And running is a little different where 45min is a pretty decent one for me.

I'm starting to think about doing more specific bike workouts for the upcoming race season. Pedaled hard up a few things yesterday but will need to start doing actual intervals and hill repeats soon. Fitness is pretty good though

https://www.strava.com/activities/1788519089/

jamal fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 22, 2018

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Good work all around yall!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Personal best on all of the marked uphill sections of my commute home, according to Strava :clint:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Another 3 miles down. If I wake up early enough, I might try to get some biking in before work.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

Personal best on all of the marked uphill sections of my commute home, according to Strava :clint:

Enjoy those commute PRs while you can, my friend. Soon they’ll only come when the wind is right and you time the lights.

(Maybe I’m just salty my single speed tops out.)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, I know it doesn't count for poo poo when I've only got a single-digit number of rides. But it feels good.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Killed yesterday's workout, now today's goal is to meet my calorie and fat goals, and go to my prediabetes prevention class (and do their group workout).

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

GAH I want to get out of South Boston and get much less sick so I can go work out again. Looking like Thursday night at earliest. I can feel my muscles atrophying.

Try not working out for a year and see how you feel. Atrophy is an understatement :(

Started working out again finally this week. Taking it slow because of my shoulder but so far :feelsgood:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

PR'd on an 8.2 mile section of an easy trail by 1:24. The one good thing about being a new rider is seeing sick gainz in huge chunks like that. Pretty perfect weather and ride today. :feelsgood:

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Solid chest day today. 135 x 10 warmup, 225 x 8/5/5, then burned through a few sets at 155 separated by one minute. Smith incline press (the unracking of a regular incline wrecks my shoulders and I'd like to keep them working, thanks), incline cable fly, decline cable fly. Something about the cable fly exercises worked really well today, so I'm happy. Ended with triceps: skullcrushers, dumbbell kickbacks, ropes, cable extensions. Something in there irritates my epicondylitis, so I'll have to figure that out and cut it out of there.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Took a short ride tonight, couple miles. Still getting the tire pressure right on the fatbike, it handles a bit different.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Went to class, skipped group workout to instead keep an eye on my wife who wasn't feeling well and to replace the starter in my truck.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Checking in.

Did about 9.1km this afternoon - Strava seems to have stopped recording about ten seconds after it started so I estimated it on mapometer. So this week, total is 9.1, planning another walk of equal or greater value on Saturday evening, would like this to be my first 20km week.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah, Strava on my phone's been tempermental today. I had to manually record my stuff, so no elevation info.

Goal for today is to keep up the streak, and go for 3 miles for the third day in a row. I'm going to try to make it all 5 days this work week and call it 15 miles plus whatever I get around to this weekend breaking in the bike.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Aug 23, 2018

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Wanted to do more but I have a rule - Giveup if you have 3+ flats OR a really REALLY close near miss.

P-Plater failed to yeild at a roundabout and thank christ I saw him coming and managed to dodge. I dont push my luck where it comes to fuckwits in cars, cyclists DONT win.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1791547829

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

^I don't trust anybody enough to ride on the roads. I stick to the sidewalks on the rare occasions I bike not on trails.

Weighed in at 190.0 this morning, but I won't consider it real until after the weekend when I generally eat worse. However, I'm very close to my BMI being "not overweight" for the first time ever. barely

I've always thought BMI was a dumb indicator of health or fitness since it takes pretty much nothing into account besides height and weight, but still it will be a nice milestone to hit if I lose 1 more pound.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Larrymer posted:

^I don't trust anybody enough to ride on the roads. I stick to the sidewalks on the rare occasions I bike not on trails.

Weighed in at 190.0 this morning, but I won't consider it real until after the weekend when I generally eat worse. However, I'm very close to my BMI being "not overweight" for the first time ever. barely

I've always thought BMI was a dumb indicator of health or fitness since it takes pretty much nothing into account besides height and weight, but still it will be a nice milestone to hit if I lose 1 more pound.

It's illegal to ride on the sidewalk in most places here. At least if you're older than 13

:hfive: on the (almost) normal BMI! I just squeaked under 25 with this morning's weigh in. Speaking of which, I'm coming up on my first of 3 cheat days for this challenge, but it's really satisfying to see a measurable, downward trend. Even if it's only 2 lbs in a little more than a week

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

It's illegal to ride on the sidewalk in most places here. At least if you're older than 13

:hfive: on the (almost) normal BMI! I just squeaked under 25 with this morning's weigh in. Speaking of which, I'm coming up on my first of 3 cheat days for this challenge, but it's really satisfying to see a measurable, downward trend. Even if it's only 2 lbs in a little more than a week

Probably same here, but it's a neighborhood and I see it all the time. And it's rare if it happens in the first place because cycling on roads/sidewalks is way more boring, IMO. Just like running vs. trail running. Trails, every time.

Nice job on the BMI. :hfive:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Useful to actually check the law where you live before making that assumption. Lot of people seem to think that it's illegal to ride on a sidewalk or through a crosswalk or whatever and then just use that to complain about bikes. It is generally less safe though, especially if you are moving any faster than like a slow jog. Getting hit from behind is pretty rare but getting hit from a car turning across you is much more likely, and when you're over in the crosswalk/sidewalk you're harder to see and moving faster than a pedestrian.

jamal fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 23, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

3 miles down. I hunger.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Larrymer posted:

I'm very close to my BMI being "not overweight" for the first time ever. barely

My BMI is ~31 right now, which is apparently stage 1 obesity. 178cm, 98kg.

Yeah, I have a bit of a gut, but I'm not loving obese :colbert:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

My BMI is ~31 right now, which is apparently stage 1 obesity. 178cm, 98kg.

Yeah, I have a bit of a gut, but I'm not loving obese :colbert:

You gotta remember, BMI is a statistical tool, not a diagnostic one. An individual might be not obese at 31, but it's a valid assumption to say that a random group of people with a BMI of 31 are going to be obese
That's why we're treating getting beneath the arbitrary threshold as a little ego boost showing our progress, not the actual goal we aim for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
poo poo leg day today -- everything is still tight and recovering from the last one since it was the first leg day in a long while; additionally, my recovery has been poo poo because Tet Jr has decided to regress from sleeping through the night. So it was five sets of squats at 135, slow and steady, followed by leg press, leg extensions, and hamstring curls, then biceps stuff. But the day worked out well, since I did the mist important exercise to make my shoulders look good: I got a haircut. So not a total waste of a day.

Tomorrow might be. I have the kid until 4p with no break. My mom was coming up and my wife canceled it for some reason, and then her work told her they needed her for something. Saturday is similar. Womp womp.