Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Kassad posted:

My rental agency provides WiFi to all tenants in the building. I didn't trust them not to gently caress it up, so I kept my own subscription. When I picked up the keys, they gave me the password anyway. It's "11111". :nsa:

the ssid password strength has zero bearing on network security though. the password is just for authorization, I.e are you “allowed” to be on the network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

the ssid password strength has zero bearing on network security though. the password is just for authorization, I.e are you “allowed” to be on the network.

Yeah, but you know that password is not a good sign of things to come.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
wpa pretty much requires 8 characters so that's wep right? :v:

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ate all the Oreos posted:

im the supercomputer that's heavily constrained on cpu resources

hopefully one is ssh/scp'ing into the login nodes and not the compute nodes

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

i would suggest that being able to properly control who is and isnt allowed on the network has more than "zero bearing" on the security of said network

someone figuring out the psk (then inducing and observing a 4 way handshake) is the equivalent of them plugging themselves into a network hub

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Cocoa Crispies posted:

NONE cipher with left-pad

hachi machi

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Cocoa Crispies posted:

:newlol:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

At PayPal, your security is a top priority. As part of our routine monitoring, we discovered a list of email addresses and passwords on the web. While the list is not related to PayPal, we know that it is common practice to use the same email and password across various websites. It is possible that your email and password may have been on the list.

you couldn't, like, check...

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

you couldn't, like, check...

Please reply with your email and password so that we may eliminate you from said list.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

root@paypal.com:12345, probably

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

similarly, github just asked me to change my pw as it had been found online (email+hash i guess?). it was from back when i used 3-4 "standard" passwords, before i had a pw manager. ive gradually been changing them over as i renew them

can i still check which dump im in somewhere?

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Aug 22, 2018

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Krankenstyle posted:

similarly, github just asked me to change my pw as it had been found online (email+hash i guess?). it was from back when i used 3-4 "standard" passwords, before i had a pw manager. ive gradually been changing them over as i renew them

can i still check which dump im in somewhere?

check haveibeenpwned

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

but my ham radio needs tls 1.3 with a null cipher, respect the fcc regs and put this into the standard already

Oh man I thought you were joking but that's a real argument someone is making.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

spankmeister posted:

check haveibeenpwned

thx :tipshat:

5 breaches, nothing important tho (lol i havent used linkedin in years)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mrmcd posted:

I'm so confused by this post. Is it a pop culture reference I don't get or a new kind of steganography or what?
Anna Chapman, basically honeypot.jpg

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Aug 22, 2018

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

pairofdimes posted:

Oh man I thought you were joking but that's a real argument someone is making.

I mean for troubleshooting/validation purposes allowing NULL for the encryption of a TLS connection is fine and should be supported in the standard, imho. Obviously it shouldn't be allowed by default.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

I mean for troubleshooting/validation purposes allowing NULL for the encryption of a TLS connection is fine and should be supported in the standard, imho.

Nah

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I mean for troubleshooting/validation purposes allowing NULL for the encryption of a TLS connection is fine and should be supported in the standard, imho. Obviously it shouldn't be allowed by default.

Either debug in the application before it enters the tunnel or configure it to export its session key so Wireshark can read the pcap. Leaving old/insecure poo poo in has caused the world a huge amount of issues and TLS 1.3 is explicitly designed to minimize that by removing potentially bad configs as an option. You aren't going to change that.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pretty much all of history has shown that if you give people a gun labeled "for troubleshooting only" they will inevitably shoot themselves in the foot with it, no matter how complicated it is to load the bullets or how many hoops they have to jump through to pull the trigger

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

pretty much all of history has shown that if you give people a gun labeled "for troubleshooting only" they will inevitably shoot themselves in the foot with it, no matter how complicated it is to load the bullets or how many hoops they have to jump through to pull the trigger

hahaha, I wish I was this jaded. I'm still hopefully optimistic that people can read those warning signs

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Just today I had to remediate a web server that was passing payment info over RC4 because the vendor neglected to provide an SSL config to tomcat and for whatever loving reason when you do that it defaults to RC4 over TLS 1.0 despite support 1.2 and a whole mess of AES ciphers

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Janitor Prime posted:

hahaha, I wish I was this jaded. I'm still hopefully optimistic that people can read those warning signs

oh yeah to be fair i'm sure 99% of people can, but then there's always gonna be that guy with no training or experience, who somehow is working for a giant corporation either directly or through a few layers of contractors, and who just needs to get this ssl thing working with our [thing] already dammit

the guy in charge of this kinda stuff at my last job (before me and a few other people were brought in and slowly turned all the poo poo around) was literally a bartender before he got that job and only got hired because he was the bartender at the CEO's old bar. there was so much unbelievably incompetent poo poo, though my favorite was the accessible to the internet Tomcat server that was a decade out of date and had been running with the default admin credentials for that entire time. it had so many obvious, completely-un-hidden backdoors installed on it by the time i got there i had trouble finding the actual software we were supposedly running :v:

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Janitor Prime posted:

Stackoverflow exists

I've MiTMd a lot of things over the last five years, probably 80% were a result of copying debug code to disable critical checks.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

there's too many reasons even having a insecure cipher even for testing can resulting in secfuckups:

designers: well this edge-case exists claiming they need it so we should give a tiny bit of leeway in the design spec to allow it <spec doesn't say MUST NOT use, but SHOULD rely be only allowed for testing purposes>

implementers: okay the rfc says that null is allowed to exist only for these test codepaths, so let's add it as a cipher. recompiling to test sounds bad in practice though, so let's just not include it in the default ciphersuite <decade goes by and that segment of code is considered too fragile to modify>

sysadmin: cool there's CFG_NULL_CIPHER_NO_SERIOSLY_DONT_USE, stackoverflow guide says its great for troubleshooting and i'm always needing to see why my code is not working <its always kept on in production now>

application: ciphersuite? well i need to support all environments and not confuse users with technical settings... let's just put null at the bottom so it works for the devs we should always have a more secure cipher negotiated before then

attacker: nah let's just keep downgrading them until they use the cipher we want

user: finally i got onto somethingawful, the padlock's even green i'm safe

tl;dr never give a insecure option the chance to ever exist

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Counterpoint: All secure options will eventually be insecure.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Janitor Prime posted:

lol reading

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

D. Ebdrup posted:

how is that in any way a counterpoint?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

there's too many reasons even having a insecure cipher even for testing can resulting in secfuckups:

designers: well this edge-case exists claiming they need it so we should give a tiny bit of leeway in the design spec to allow it <spec doesn't say MUST NOT use, but SHOULD rely be only allowed for testing purposes>

implementers: okay the rfc says that null is allowed to exist only for these test codepaths, so let's add it as a cipher. recompiling to test sounds bad in practice though, so let's just not include it in the default ciphersuite <decade goes by and that segment of code is considered too fragile to modify>

sysadmin: cool there's CFG_NULL_CIPHER_NO_SERIOSLY_DONT_USE, stackoverflow guide says its great for troubleshooting and i'm always needing to see why my code is not working <its always kept on in production now>

application: ciphersuite? well i need to support all environments and not confuse users with technical settings... let's just put null at the bottom so it works for the devs we should always have a more secure cipher negotiated before then

attacker: nah let's just keep downgrading them until they use the cipher we want

user: finally i got onto somethingawful, the padlock's even green i'm safe

attacker: *reads your posts* :suicide:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

how is that in any way a counterpoint?

eventually we'll all be dead and the universe will diffuse into a forever-dark expanse of nothingness

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

eventually we'll all be dead and the universe will diffuse into a forever-dark expanse of nothingness

oh ok, back to hosts.equiv then

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

oh ok, back to hosts.equiv then
I was going for "there's more to security than crypto-primitives", but that works too.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Cool security fuckup.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/vulnerability-affects-all-openssh-versions-released-in-the-past-two-decades/

quote:

A vulnerability affects all versions of the OpenSSH client released in the past two decades, ever since the application was released in 1999.

The security bug received a patch this week, but since the OpenSSH client is embedded in a multitude of software applications and hardware devices, it will take months, if not years, for the fix to trickle down to all affected systems.

Username enumeration bug discovered in OpenSSH
This particular bug was discovered last week by security researchers from Qualys who spotted a commit in OpenBSD's OpenSSH source code.

After analyzing the commit, researchers realized that the code inadvertently fixed a security bug lying dormant in the OpenSSH client since its creation.

This bug allows a remote attacker to guess the usernames registered on an OpenSSH server. Since OpenSSH is used with a bunch of technologies ranging from cloud hosting servers to mandate IoT equipment, billions of devices are affected.

As researchers explain, the attack scenario relies on an attacker trying to authenticate on an OpenSSH endpoint via a malformed authentication request (for example, via a truncated packet).

A vulnerable OpenSSH server would react in two very different ways when this happens. If the username included in the malformed authentication request does not exist, the server responds with authentication failure reply. If the user does exist, the server closes the connection without a reply.

This small behavioral detail allows an attacker to guess valid usernames registered on a SSH server. Knowing the exact username may not pose an immediate danger, but it exposes that username to brute-force or dictionary attacks that can also guess its password.

Because of OpenSSH's huge install base, the bug is ideal for both attacks on high-value targets, but also in mass-exploitation scenarios.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
it’s not a security fuckup (yet) but being asked about how to rebuild a bunch of docker containers to enable the FIPS module for OpenSSL seems like it’s a start in the right direction.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
also had a question from the sysadmin on the other side ask us if we can enable LUKS inside our containers.

all this runs on AWS btw

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

If this isn't an option and the OpenSSH client is the only way to connect to devices, sysadmins can disable OpenSSH's "public key authentication" method, which is where the vulnerable code resides.

great advice thanks

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

turn off password auth and force everyone to use keys so even if they can use the exploit to know the user names they can't be used to brute force or dictionary attack? nah just turn off keys for everyone, way better

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

#define MBEDTLS_NO_DEFAULT_ENTROPY_SOURCES
#define MBEDTLS_TEST_NULL_ENTROPY

one weird trick to eliminate entropy! chemists hate it!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

the good news is that on all the embedded poo poo that’s really hard to update there will tend to be fixed and known usernames, so not much is lost there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

D. Ebdrup posted:

thats a horseshit argument and you know it

• Locked thread