Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Autonomous Monster posted:

e: Regardless of whether you think Stellaris is a masterpiece or a warcrime, though, I think we should all be able to agree that this cult of personality around Wiz is weird and gross and needs to stop.

If for no other reason than it's really unfair to all the other devs that work on these games.

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Oh, and Koramei: honestly? Stellaris is probably better than 90% of games. It's definitely better than 99% of space 4Xs, but I'm not certain there's ever been a good space 4X.

It is definitely not better than SotS1, but I will accept that as the left over 1%

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

e: Regardless of whether you think Stellaris is a masterpiece or a warcrime, though, I think we should all be able to agree that this cult of personality around Wiz is weird and gross and needs to stop.

If for no other reason than it's really unfair to all the other devs that work on these games.

Where were all those amazing, humble, overlooked devs during the development of stellaris? doing what the lead told them to do, making tiles and horrible systems that took 2 years to replace.

What was the main change that turned the direction of the game around? A new game director.

Given that companies are hierarchies and hierarchies are not democracies, and that in a hierarchy major decisions are made by other people, it seems odd to have to constantly pretend that Wiz didn't start the new direction or that his design philosophy had a major impact on the design choices that people now prefer.

And I find it very odd how real adults seem to use gross for "Something I don't like but I really don't feel like articulating or substantiating" when it used to be like a kid word heard in school.

Wiz is credited with changing the direction of Stellaris, and that seems really reasonable to credit to the lead of a game.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

wiz didn't do it by himself obviously, but he is actually no poo poo really good at game design, and particularly at designing innovative systems within the relatively limiting confines of a pre-existing game. eu3+, ck2+, stellaris 2.0 - it's not creepy, weird, or wrong to say that all of those revamps took the base game and greatly improved it!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Kaza42 posted:

It is definitely not better than SotS1, but I will accept that as the left over 1%

SOTS 1 was great I am real sad they never made a sequel.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Prav posted:

i don't play stellaris because everything i've seen tells me it was and is a terrible game. this means that i generally don't have much to add in the stellaris discussions, but makes looking at these "no joe, it's not a great game, it's the GREATEST game - nuh uh bob, i think it's just very very good" exchanges a somewhat odd experience
It started off with a lot of shine and innovative systems that really got people excited. Then once they got through all of the events and the shine wore off, people realized that there were some MAJOR flaws. I personally flipped from loving it to hating it vehemently despite wanting to like it. I ignored news about it for around a year and a half, but then I read about the 2.0 update and I gave it a chance and now I like it again. 2.0 made some fundamental changes that fixed a ton of the problems with the game. That being said, there are still a few fundamental flaws with it that may never be buffed out because of the basegame that Wiz is building off of.

What I think I am trying to say is that the game was bad and a lot of people hated it, but then 2.0 happened and a lot of those opinions, including mine, changed.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Double :agreed:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Jazerus posted:

wiz didn't do it by himself obviously, but he is actually no poo poo really good at game design, and particularly at designing innovative systems within the relatively limiting confines of a pre-existing game. eu3+, ck2+, stellaris 2.0 - it's not creepy, weird, or wrong to say that all of those revamps took the base game and greatly improved it!

No but it is creepy weird and wrong to make stories up about how Wiz got hired and constantly saying he should fix games that aren't even released yet.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah, I think Wiz deserves a lot of credit for Stellaris but people take it way too far. The attitude that's been creeping up as though he's the only competent game designer at Paradox is extremely rude.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
wiz is my favorite paradox game, and i'm looking forward to the upcoming release of wiz

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I just attribute the Wiz love to him A.) being a forums poster here for a long time, who B.) made mods for many paradox games that were sane and really well done and also C.) did things like the Crete LP while also D.) always seeming to be a guy who keeps his cool and is just really chill.

I mean I guess you could count that last paragraph as wanking him off but thats why I think so many people slavishly praise him more than other Paradox people who post here and/or are Paradox game designers.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Koramei posted:

Yeah, I think Wiz deserves a lot of credit for Stellaris but people take it way too far. The attitude that's been creeping up as though he's the only competent game designer at Paradox is extremely rude.

I think a lot of people view Wiz as a member of the "next generation" of Paradox designers, and sortof a bridge between Old Paradox and New Paradox. That he turned EU4 into a great game with Art of War definitely contributes to that reputation. And at least here on Something Awful his reputation stems from the fact that he was sort of born out of this community. It was his mega-LP's (and work on WizMod for CK2) that got him on PDS's map.

As much as I've loved Paradox games since I was introduced to them back in like 2003 (and as much as I love Johan's work), I dunno why but I get a very obvious feeling whenever I read Imperator: Rome dev diaries that the game has been heavily influenced by him. Imperator: Rome feels like Old Paradox in ways that I just can't really explain, and I don't think it's a good thing. I don't get that at all when I look at how other project leads handle their franchises (Wiz with Stellaris, podcat with HOI4, DDRJake with EU4). Apologies to whoever is currently in charge of CK2 for forgetting who you are off the top of my head... Groogy's still on EU4 and Archangel's on HOI4 right?

Drone fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 22, 2018

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
In addition to being a long time poster on these forums Wiz is also the very public face of the Stellaris development team,with a great deal of news and other info going through him, so when you think of the game you likely think of him as well. Other members seem to be much more quiet, if they even post at all, so they aren't as well known.

Even other teams don't seem to be nearly as active when discussing the games they are responsible for.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

personally i don't care for wiz's design style, which i think tends to railroad people into playing the way he thinks things ought to be

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Does anyone have a copy of 'the paradox cycle.jpeg' from the old thread?

Because we've come bloody long way.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Alchenar posted:

Does anyone have a copy of 'the paradox cycle.jpeg' from the old thread?

Because we've come bloody long way.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
How old is that chart? There's no stage where fans piss and moan about how greedy the studio is every time an expansion is announced or released.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
How the gently caress is it "creepy" and "gross" to think Wiz is a good developer and designer? Is gross just the new stupid buzzword to replace toxic now?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

everyone itt is dumb as poo poo even by games standards

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Agean90 posted:

Yeah

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Psychotic Weasel posted:

How old is that chart? There's no stage where fans piss and moan about how greedy the studio is every time an expansion is announced or released.
Thats mostly the late comers that didn't see the expansions as being almost like a subscription service where you pay periodically for new content because they weren't around for the original release of CK2 where you could only play as a Christian.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah I'm pretty sure there's one that covers the week one of praise and adultation before people spot the design flaws and crippling bugs and fall into bargaining, despair and finally acceptance.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

GrossMurpel posted:

How the gently caress is it "creepy" and "gross" to think Wiz is a good developer and designer? Is gross just the new stupid buzzword to replace toxic now?

Imagine thinking toxic is a meaningless buzzword. Take the chud poo poo outta here.

Changing the subject to something less heated, anyone remember when the CEO shaved his head because Victoria 2 was going to be profitable? :allears:

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I like Wiz and I like Johan and I like the games they've worked on. Those Paradox folks do a pretty good job, differences aside.

Does anyone else follow the Life At Paradox instagram account? It's fairly new (I think? I'm as bad at Insta as I am at forums posting) and their shtick is each week they hand the account off to a different person at PDS/PDI who just posts about their life as an employee at Paradox. It's pretty rad. This week Shams has it and has been posting from Gamescom.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I've always preferred Jake tbh, but only because he's more open about his support for the DDR. Kaiser Johan is working his way up the ranks and Groogy is the most likeable of the bunch

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
The Wiz cult of personality won't be truly out of hand until this thread is nothing but people demanding that Paradox resurrect Dawntide.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I've always preferred Jake tbh, but only because he's more open about his support for the DDR

lol

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Agean90 posted:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Prav posted:

i don't play stellaris because everything i've seen tells me it was and is a terrible game. this means that i generally don't have much to add in the stellaris discussions, but makes looking at these "no joe, it's not a great game, it's the GREATEST game - nuh uh bob, i think it's just very very good" exchanges a somewhat odd experience

I really loved it when it came out, but all the changes made have been in the opposite direction from what I wanted so I have played it in more than a year and may never play it again.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Here I thought the Paradox Doom Cycle was

DLC is announced better wait for that before starting a game->
DLC is out but there are critical bugs->
Wait for the bugs to get patched->
DLC is announced....

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Here I thought the Paradox Doom Cycle was

DLC is announced better wait for that before starting a game->
DLC is out but there are critical bugs->
Wait for the bugs to get patched->
DLC is announced....

This is me.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

AtomikKrab posted:

This is me.

This is also me, but replace "announced" with "game design document is made available for other employees"

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

What are the major good gameplay mods for vicky 2? Getting bored of the base game and want to switch it up.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

PDM (Pop Demand Mod) is a real big one, downside is the economy is COMPLETELY broken (even moreso than in Vanilla), but it's still fun. There's also HPM/HFM which are a more enhanced vanilla experience than PDM's total overhaul. Finally, Divergences of Darkness is a popular alt-history mod based off of PDM.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Crazycryodude posted:

PDM (Pop Demand Mod) is a real big one, downside is the economy is COMPLETELY broken (even moreso than in Vanilla), but it's still fun. There's also HPM/HFM which are a more enhanced vanilla experience than PDM's total overhaul. Finally, Divergences of Darkness is a popular alt-history mod based off of PDM.

If Divergences economy weren't broken it would be far and away the best mod.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
iirc New Nations Mod takes the fun stuff from PDM and strips out the broken parts.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Anyone here try Blood and Iron? I was googling for NNM and a Reddit thread said it was the new NNM.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Concert of Europe is a fun one that starts earlier in 1820. When it isn't crashing at least.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
speaking of v2 mods, is there some way to scale the UI up? it's basically unplayable in 4k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Drone posted:

I think a lot of people view Wiz as a member of the "next generation" of Paradox designers, and sortof a bridge between Old Paradox and New Paradox. That he turned EU4 into a great game with Art of War definitely contributes to that reputation. And at least here on Something Awful his reputation stems from the fact that he was sort of born out of this community. It was his mega-LP's (and work on WizMod for CK2) that got him on PDS's map

It is kind of funny that he gets credit for Art of War, considering it was mostly my design, and he was a great PL for it. Common Sense was my design, while he did most of Cossacks and El Dorado.

Mandate and forward is basically Jake, with some support from me first, and then lots from Groogy.

Also on Stellaris, grekulf has been the designer for a long time now, giving lots of support to Wiz.