Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The nice thing about a game like Cataclysm is they could put in as many "win conditions" as they want really, since it's a sandbox. I like to think of it along the lines of like, going for extra runes in Crawl. There's no reason to do it other than you want to - but it's a fun challenge. Being able to make some kind of permanent impact on the world like that would be interesting. Although one of the end-game challenges could also be to just travel to an "alternate earth" which literally just drops you into a freshly generated world (undoing any sort of worldwide changes you've done) with whatever you decided to take with you, so you could always "reset" the game if you wanted to.

You can implement this yourself by deleting everything but your character save file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Cant you just also go off the map edge which generates a new town?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I'm a super idiot, all this time I never realised you could [m]end things in a vehicle - specifically faulty engines. My fuel efficiency greatly increased once I gutted an engine, pulled its filter out and replaced my APC-RV' diesel engine's faulty filter.

Also, I'm annoyed at how much they nerfed solar panels. It's pretty much impossible to power a fridge unless you run the engine constantly.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

PiCroft posted:

Also, I'm annoyed at how much they nerfed solar panels. It's pretty much impossible to power a fridge unless you run the engine constantly.
Don't tell me they nerfed them again? They've nerfed them so many drat times already.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Telsa Cola posted:

Cant you just also go off the map edge which generates a new town?

Yes you can always just generate more space but I was thinking specifically in relation to the suggestion I replied to, where by taking certain actions you can permanently eliminate a particular enemy type from appearing in the game.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Vib Rib posted:

Don't tell me they nerfed them again? They've nerfed them so many drat times already.

Well, I don't know about "again" since this is the first time I've played in almost a year but I'm pretty sure the last time I played, putting 6-7 or so solar panels on a vehicle was more than enough to run a fridge constantly. I have 8 and it only barely keeps up with a fridge during sunny weather.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
They changed it long ago that they weren’t as efficient unless you were using he improved solar panaels.
Also weather affects it so the slightest hint of a cloud may as well be night time.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
It doesn't help that the vehicle mini fridge drains power like nothing else.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah I think the problem is mainly that certain things are ludicrously power-hungry. You can run a whole electric car with a bunch of primary tools hooked up to a UPS charger, and as long as you've wired in a ton of storage batteries and have lots of solar panels, you'll be fine with occasional stops to read, craft, and scrounge while your car recharges. But God help you if you add a single minifridge to your completely self-sufficient all-purpose solarpunk deathmobile.

It's also dumb that UPS charger stations continuously drain power even if there's nothing left to recharge. Where the gently caress is that electricity going? The world's least efficient status LED? :psyduck:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Obviously it's important to make the game as unenjoyably realistic as possible. Except when it comes to solar power, of course, then we need to balance it entirely around game systems and not realism.
And obviously the best way to balance solar powers is to make them basically useless. Sure, they're uncraftable from scratch, incredibly fragile, bulky, heavy, and have to be salvaged in good condition, but it's also important we make them basically worthless.

This fits from a gameworld perspective too, because why the gently caress would anyone use solar panels in a post apocalyptic setting? I sure can't think of any reason why seeking out and salvaging large solar panels in such a world would be the #1 energy priority of basically any industrious survivor or group.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
It's pretty telling how basically every change that moves the game away from being some Command & Conquer-rear end "solar-powered mutant cyborg shoots a laser cannon at battlemechs and throws dynamite at shoggoths" pseudoscience-fiction makes it less fun, tbqh. It's a real shame that these folks accidentally made a genuinely fun game, then started gutting it because it wasn't the game they initially wanted to make, fun be damned.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Angry Diplomat posted:

I still think the nigh-impossible win condition should be "reach a portal and physically enter the gribbly hell dimension (optional: bring your deathmobile with you), then destroy the gribbly hell dimension" and you have to do it for multiple gribbly hell dimensions and each one eliminates a different threat and requires a different weapon of mass destruction.

Wipe out the fungus by deploying some kind of fungicidal fuel air bomb at its heavily-guarded source. Annihilate the triffids by setting off an extremely powerful incendiary device at the heart of their lethal, jungle-like realm and escaping through a portal before the rapidly growing inferno consumes you. Drive out the shoggoths and whatnot by breaching their Lovecraftian Silent Hill horrorshow ur-realm, and then nuking the poo poo out of said ur-realm. Halt the zombie apocalypse by uh. I dunno. That one is probably Earth-oriented. Do a bunch of quests and Lab raids and poo poo and research some kind of vaccine that's insanely difficult to synthesize, and then bring samples of it to the Old Guard. Anyway let us go into other dimensions and gently caress them up, is what I'm saying.

This was the original plan for the game, and you can find the originator's posts about it in this very thread a while back! (Which I assume YOU know, but others might not)

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I wish I could turn zombies off and keep the mythos horrors and fungus and triffids.

The CDDA launcher got me back into playing and writing food recipes. I also understand that the way I play the game is not the one true way to play, that everyone has their own idea of post-apocalyptic fun, and I shouldn't force people to play my way.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The idea of playing CDDA with no hostile monsters at all is pretty interesting, and I think with enough balance tweaks it could become a "Last Man on Earth" simulator pretty well.
I'm also big on the idea of having rare, very threatening encounters in small numbers as opposed to just hordes everywhere at all times. Something where you only run into trouble here and there, but you need to pull out all the stops in nearly every fight you have.

There's such a good base here, despite everything. That modularity, I think, is still the game's strong point.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Vib Rib posted:

The idea of playing CDDA with no hostile monsters at all is pretty interesting, and I think with enough balance tweaks it could become a "Last Man on Earth" simulator pretty well.
I'm also big on the idea of having rare, very threatening encounters in small numbers as opposed to just hordes everywhere at all times. Something where you only run into trouble here and there, but you need to pull out all the stops in nearly every fight you have.

There's such a good base here, despite everything. That modularity, I think, is still the game's strong point.

I'd love to play a game that's basically Unreal World with the grognard dial turned up to 12 and there's no other humans around at all. Just you, nature, and the constant struggle to survive.

I'm totally unaware of any game which lets you do even rudimentary basic toolmaking such as producing cord from plant fibres, making stone tools and primitive weapons, etc. other than CDDA, but CDDA isn't really designed for the player to actually have to use these kinds of incredibly basic tools since you can easily scavenge something better.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

RabidWeasel posted:

I'd love to play a game that's basically Unreal World with the grognard dial turned up to 12 and there's no other humans around at all. Just you, nature, and the constant struggle to survive.

I'm totally unaware of any game which lets you do even rudimentary basic toolmaking such as producing cord from plant fibres, making stone tools and primitive weapons, etc. other than CDDA, but CDDA isn't really designed for the player to actually have to use these kinds of incredibly basic tools since you can easily scavenge something better.
It also, unfortunately, doesn't account for the gaps in the tech tree you can't craft. There's so much you have to salvage.
I mean, okay, it strains credulity that someone could work up from neolithic tech to smelting and forming iron sheets and building a loving deathmobile out of that and sadly it'd be pointless in a world without roads, since CDDA does offroading so badly but I think there's still a lot of potential for freeing up purely independent progression.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."

Vib Rib posted:

okay, it strains credulity that someone could work up from neolithic tech to smelting and forming iron sheets and building a loving deathmobile out of that

He types, on a keyboard connected to a computer.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

AppleDan posted:

He types, on a keyboard connected to a computer.
...Which I built entirely from scratch, from things I dug up in the wilderness?

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."

Vib Rib posted:

...Which I built entirely from scratch, from things I dug up in the wilderness?

You didn't?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah i definitely feel the whiplash when i go from stone knives to laser cutters in a few months in games but the reality of the situation is that video games are probably never going to bother with that particular issue because the actual way it works irl is a complete pain in the dick to reason about in a game sense.

even if you know how to make the keyboard, the monitor, the processor, etc, and even if you do have sources for the oil, the silicon, the rare earth metals, the copper, the iron, etc that go into them, and then even granting that you had the TOOLS all ready and available...the fiddly tasks that go into mining, smelting, pouring, shaping, assembling, and finishing all the parts mean that you will never be able to actually get it done. the realities of time and space will forbid you from ever putting that computer together. the soldering iron needs cleaning after use. the oil well needs constant checking. the circuit boards must be kept static free during punching and setting. and you, personally, must spend time simply gearing yourself up mentally and physically for all of the myriad demands ahead in the task. it's just not feasible. you basically see regressing technology any time humanity gets too beaten up in a certain area and can't trade to access these tools/parts/skillsets nicely - not because people get dumber, but because they simply do not have the manpower and stored capital to do all the fiddly little loving tasks required to, for example, keep an efficient iron forge going.

even if you somehow got a complete and accurate list of all the little tasks that need to be performed at all steps of the supply chain, how would you model the microdamage that happens from doing these things - the cramps, the aches, the minor sprains from pushing it a little too hard? or the mental toll from constantly trying to remember what the hell you need to do next in a 120 step process?

nobody cares and nobody wants to deal with that poo poo in a game. even dealing with just assigning tasks to NPC actors/buildings gets loving weird for a lot of people really fast - see the X series of space sim games for an idea of how that shakes out at scale. so the easiest and simplest solution is to fudge the time involved and ignore all the stress put on your body to make it fun. that's what everyone's been doing with tech era stuff like that for decades, and i honestly can't envision that changing unless values held by the people playing change a lot.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

It's pretty telling how basically every change that moves the game away from being some Command & Conquer-rear end "solar-powered mutant cyborg shoots a laser cannon at battlemechs and throws dynamite at shoggoths" pseudoscience-fiction makes it less fun, tbqh. It's a real shame that these folks accidentally made a genuinely fun game, then started gutting it because it wasn't the game they initially wanted to make, fun be damned.

The saddest thing is that the original creator of the game intended Cataclysm to be exactly that; insane post-apoc mutant cyborg deathmobile shenanigans. The problem is that he din't have the time and energy to keep developing the game, so it got passed onto a pretentious my-way-or-the-highway grognard shitlord, who promptly decided to turn it into Realism Survival Shithouse #857.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Yeah unfortunately all the people interested in forking/rewriting the game end up drifting away partway through. I guess its more work than it looks like.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

I mean, I'm interested in contributing, but I'm not a software development project lead, and I know far more Python than C++. :v:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i was trying to get a clear task list and everything together but I just do not have the time and energy to go back into that particular breach after a full work day.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

We did get a pretty solid consensus on what the game is and should be about. I'm still on the Discord server the thread set up, so if you want to catch up and maybe split the load, I'm game.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Vib Rib posted:

It also, unfortunately, doesn't account for the gaps in the tech tree you can't craft. There's so much you have to salvage.
I mean, okay, it strains credulity that someone could work up from neolithic tech to smelting and forming iron sheets and building a loving deathmobile out of that and sadly it'd be pointless in a world without roads, since CDDA does offroading so badly but I think there's still a lot of potential for freeing up purely independent progression.
This all works well with clever scoping since there's ultimately a limit to what one person can do. Like I think Unreal World nails it with clear progression of what wood and hide gets you to go from a hobo dressed in scraps to king of the cabin with luxurious fur clothes and metal armor. And the last stable of CDDA ain't too shabby giving a progression of raiding town shops to outfitting yourself (and a war rig because why not) to be able to raid exotic locations for stuff you just can't make out of stuff available in towns.

Complicated and great works ultimately need social interaction at which point I'd rather have a Thea sort of framework than trying to hodgepodge it into a roguelike single agent deal. Incidentally I hear Settlements ain't too shabby to give you literally going from rock tools back to modernity.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Coolguye posted:

yeah i definitely feel the whiplash when i go from stone knives to laser cutters in a few months in games but the reality of the situation is that video games are probably never going to bother with that particular issue because the actual way it works irl is a complete pain in the dick to reason about in a game sense.
I'm not really bothered by an unrealistic progression, my point was just more about how there are gaps in the game's tech tree where you can't make a whole bunch of items yourself and have to scavenge them, meaning a "no cities" playthrough will stop really early on the tech trees and prevent you from getting a myriad of useful tools.
I'm fine with them unrealistically blowing through eras of human advancement or winding up with a laser cutter you built from scratch, since playing fast and loose to make things more fun is what drew me to the game in the first place (see also the aforementioned contrast of grognard "realism" vs cyberdeathmobile sim). I'm more about the ability to craft your way up the tech tree (even as an optional "no scavenge" mode rather than a core rebalance), and less concerned with how realistic it is.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

RabidWeasel posted:

Wayward kinda does that but probably would need a bit of modding to get less gamey and more realistic

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

RabidWeasel posted:

You could always start a youtube channel doing these things in a patch of Australian forest! :science:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

I'm not really bothered by an unrealistic progression, my point was just more about how there are gaps in the game's tech tree where you can't make a whole bunch of items yourself and have to scavenge them, meaning a "no cities" playthrough will stop really early on the tech trees and prevent you from getting a myriad of useful tools.
I'm fine with them unrealistically blowing through eras of human advancement or winding up with a laser cutter you built from scratch, since playing fast and loose to make things more fun is what drew me to the game in the first place (see also the aforementioned contrast of grognard "realism" vs cyberdeathmobile sim). I'm more about the ability to craft your way up the tech tree (even as an optional "no scavenge" mode rather than a core rebalance), and less concerned with how realistic it is.

Sounds like a place where adding some features to the mines would be very useful; especially for getting rare earth metals for those solar panels.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Anticheese posted:

You could always start a youtube channel doing these things in a patch of Australian forest! :science:

Watching Primitive Technology videos is what made me realise that there's actually a lot more scope for people to make poo poo with absolutely no infrastructure than I ever realised. It seemed like it could make a great premise for a game.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
For an advanced version there’s also Cody’s Lab. He’s a bit up the tech tree in terms of stuff he uses but he still does a shitload of things like “gonna enrich some uranium in my backyard”.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah Cody's Lab is a lot more CDDA territory.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I haven't actually looked at the source code for the game but from what I've heard of people discussing it, one of the big problems is that it's an enormous chunk of spaghetti code. There's been hundreds of pulls and reworks and downright hacks and other lazy dumb programmer tricks to get a desired behavior out of a given system, and some of the things you really want to be able to modify (like the map generation logic) has been hardcoded into the main executive. Fixing the Cataclysm codebase is a shitlot of work and I'm beginning to think it'd honestly be easier, faster, and smarter to just take the systems and ideas we do like and start over from scratch.

Of course this is easy to say as a goon who knows only the very basics of coding, doesn't really have the time for a big elaborate project, and just likes to throw ideas at the wall and see what sticks.

Edit: I'm pretty sure this is exactly why/how the game's sort of stagnated. Any coders actually worth their salt take one look at the engine and run screaming, so pretty much the only option left to the playerbase is 'gently caress around with .jsons'. Paired with a healthy dose of 'if we make the game impenetrable and ridiculously hard super hardcore people won't realize there is no end game content' from the devs.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Aug 22, 2018

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
So I'm playing a newish experimental and they changed the color of shocker brutes from blue to white. Not a huge deal after the initial surprise when one snuck up on me but in case anybody hadn't realized yet that might not be a harmless skeleton coming your way.

Personally I don't love shockers simply because the most effective way to combat them prior to having a dedicated vehicle is to set your pants on fire and then stand completely still while it electrocutes you and that just doesn't seem intuitive to me but whatever it worked and that's all I can ask for.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i've never found shockers that different from any other zombie so long as your weapon is nonconductive

like don't try to punch them, but a cudgel kills them just as easy as it kills every other deadhead.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
So I did a little testing and found that I was generally wrong and shockers really aren't so bad with a bit of melee skill and a cudgel; hell I almost took out a shocker brute after the two test shockers I spawned. The problem is I'm always so weighed down with firefighter clothes or armor that I'm not getting my attacks in quickly enough and a first day survivor with no equipment is actually better equipped to handle them then I expected. I don't really know if this changes my opinion on the matter since the combo of a ranged attack (making luring them very unappealing) and the fact that shockers/brutes so often spawn in crowded hordes means that losing the armor for the confrontation is kind of a no go but it is definitely something I'll take into account from now on.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
My problem with shockers/shocker brutes is that they stun you for several rounds, pummel you, and then shock you again almost right after so even with a non-conductive weapon I end up spending most of the fight seeing stars.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

well part of it is that you are wearing firefighter clothing? firefighter clothing is really not that great for movin' around clothes precisely because they are so heavy. i'd butcher that out, save the nomex, weave the kevlar into your duster, weave some leather in there too for good measure, bob's your uncle for standard attacks. ultimately you'll get to light survivor armor and that's the real goal, but a reinforced duster will protect you plenty well and leave you fast enough to cleave your way through most threats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
If you're doing melee, keep your torso encumbrance below 25 for goodness sake. The only thing I can't melee down (L7s/L6s skill, but true as early as ~L3ish) is Skeletal Juggernauts, since I have to max a damage roll to deal any damage whatsoever.
I used a Wood Axe (lumberjack profession) for most of my game, now running a Scimitar

I pretty much just have to run back to my car and run them over