Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

Remember the episode where Al goes to hell and it's better than his life and he doesn't want to leave? That's a good one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkyvsckUjtE

You forgot to mention that Satan is Freddy Kruger!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

GoutPatrol posted:

The one episode of SVU I never watched completely from beginning to end involved a big kid raping and killing someone, and it turns out he was bullied into doing by a little weasel kid, and that came out on the stand, so the mom of the big fat kid goes "we're not talking a plea, this is going to make him walk" and instead the fat kid gets 30-life? or something and the detectives look at the mom like she's a bad mother. In conclusion, SVU is terrible and it amazing it is still on the air.

That episode is one of the few SVU episodes I'd like to see a follow up on. I don't know why, but just have the younger kid finally have grown up, getting in similar trouble, and he's still trying to play people.

There have been a few doozys on SVU, and I think one of the biggest WTF episodes, even more than "Zebras" is the episode about the music teacher/American Idol coach who get accused of molesting a kid. The ending of that episode should have been the backdoor pilot to a TV series about that guy trying to rebuild his loving life.

Since I don't watch a lot of TV anymore, I think I've started to realize something trying to watch older TV shows from the 90s and early 00s on streaming: The long opening credits. I don't know, maybe these are things that are still pretty common, but up to a certain point you got the entire full intro to a show, for most shows, every single episode.

It seems like a lot of more modern shows I've watched more recently just do a quick cut from the intro precredits/"previously on" scene to a title card or a massively shortened intro sequence. There's probably reasons for that. Increasing commercial time, shortening the tuning-out window for people who might flip the channel, etc.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Stairs posted:

You forgot to mention that Satan is Freddy Kruger!

And Sam Kinison was his guardian angel.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

GoutPatrol posted:

In conclusion, SVU is terrible and it amazing it is still on the air.
The best episode of SVU (and pretty much the last one that I watched) is one of the episodes featuring Ludacris as Finn's son, on trial for something or the other, where he gets off largely by pointing out all the amazingly hosed up things the SVU squad does on a regular basis. The end of the episode has pretty much the entire cast facing disciplinary charges or being threatened with worse. It is the perfect ending to the show if you ask me.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So at least they are self aware

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Mister Kingdom posted:

For a while she lived with the Bundys and ran a phone sex line.

And it was a brilliant Christmas episode that I still watch once a year.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Mister Kingdom posted:

And Sam Kinison was his guardian angel.

I would listen to GA Sam Kinnison. Not that I have the option of tuning him out.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Nah, they pretty much just pay lip service to being aware that the characters are all problematic as hell but will go right back to the bad behavior ASAP.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

NorgLyle posted:

The best episode of SVU (and pretty much the last one that I watched) is one of the episodes featuring Ludacris as Finn's son, on trial for something or the other, where he gets off largely by pointing out all the amazingly hosed up things the SVU squad does on a regular basis. The end of the episode has pretty much the entire cast facing disciplinary charges or being threatened with worse. It is the perfect ending to the show if you ask me.

I had to do a double take because that didn't sound right from the far too many episodes I've seen. Ludicris is Fin's nephew, though his son has a prominent role in the episode. The son pops up in like 7 or 8 episodes throughout the series, he's an adult (in his 20s) gay man who does all this outreach to like, homeless and drug addict gay youths and stuff like that, and he and his dad don't get along. They bring up these character traits every single time he shows up.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

After Chris Meloni left the show, they say that a lot of Stabler’s busts ended up freed on appeal because he beat them into confessing.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

JediTalentAgent posted:

Since I don't watch a lot of TV anymore, I think I've started to realize something trying to watch older TV shows from the 90s and early 00s on streaming: The long opening credits. I don't know, maybe these are things that are still pretty common, but up to a certain point you got the entire full intro to a show, for most shows, every single episode.

Stargate SG-1 was the worst offender for me that immediately springs to mind, at least for a few seasons - not even anything exciting, just interminable panning over a sarcophagus.

E: mood-setting might be a better word than exciting, I'm not that addicted to loud noises and bright lights.

uvar has a new favorite as of 22:20 on Aug 22, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
There's shows where I watch every single intro and/or outro because the songs kick rear end, and the ones that suck I can just skip to 1:30, so I'm glad they're there.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Good intros get you in the exactly right mood for the show. But if you're watching 5 episodes in a row I understand skipping them

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

JediTalentAgent posted:

It seems like a lot of more modern shows I've watched more recently just do a quick cut from the intro precredits/"previously on" scene to a title card or a massively shortened intro sequence. There's probably reasons for that. Increasing commercial time, shortening the tuning-out window for people who might flip the channel, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7d0Lm_31BE

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Angelo Badalamenti owns

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Batman the Animated Series has an intro that I can watch every single time and not be bothered in the slightest. The ones they replaced it with? gently caress those ones, they're bad.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

catlord posted:

Batman the Animated Series has an intro that I can watch every single time and not be bothered in the slightest. The ones they replaced it with? gently caress those ones, they're bad.

Batman Beyond had a good intro fite me

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

batman '66

:colbert:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Toshimo posted:

Batman Beyond had a good intro fite me

That's a separate show, it doesn't count (I also like its intro though it is pretty '90s). I'm talking the Adventures of Batman and Robin intro, or the intro they used when they had a block of Batman and Superman.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

catlord posted:

That's a separate show, it doesn't count (I also like its intro though it is pretty '90s). I'm talking the Adventures of Batman and Robin intro, or the intro they used when they had a block of Batman and Superman.

The lovely one plays watching B:TAS on amazon prime, it sucks

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I can sit through the SG-1 opening because it feels bombastic, short and you got some clips of stuff happening and characters doing stuff. It feels like if you're watching the show with someone who's never seen it you can point at the characters and go, "Okay, this is their backstory, this is what they do, etc." relatively quick to get them up to speed.

But When I was trying to watch Voyager and Enterprise and even TNG and DS9, I found my ADD kicking in and just getting disinterested in watching tthe actual episode because I wanted to jump from the opening teaser right into the actual story.

But I also fully accept that this window of credits/commercials helps give us a similar break in the shows to move things along in a way that doesn't feel jarring. So you can start with a big reveal and by the time those credits are over it you can have the characters doing other stuff or being elsewhere that feels like there's been some time or movement passing for them as well.

For a second I thought this was going to be Too Many Cooks...

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

hawowanlawow posted:

Angelo Badalamenti owns

ya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78M7f6dk3Bg

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Truga posted:

There's shows where I watch every single intro and/or outro because the songs kick rear end, and the ones that suck I can just skip to 1:30, so I'm glad they're there.

I never skip Bojack Horseman's intros because they are constantly changing as the Season goes on

And it is also pretty good looking.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Samuringa posted:

I never skip Bojack Horseman's intros because they are constantly changing as the Season goes on

And it is also pretty good looking.

Also that song owns.

Bojack’s intro really sets the mood for the show perfectly.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

JediTalentAgent posted:

I can sit through the SG-1 opening because it feels bombastic, short and you got some clips of stuff happening and characters doing stuff. It feels like if you're watching the show with someone who's never seen it you can point at the characters and go, "Okay, this is their backstory, this is what they do, etc." relatively quick to get them up to speed.

But When I was trying to watch Voyager and Enterprise and even TNG and DS9, I found my ADD kicking in and just getting disinterested in watching tthe actual episode because I wanted to jump from the opening teaser right into the actual story.

But I also fully accept that this window of credits/commercials helps give us a similar break in the shows to move things along in a way that doesn't feel jarring. So you can start with a big reveal and by the time those credits are over it you can have the characters doing other stuff or being elsewhere that feels like there's been some time or movement passing for them as well.

If you don't like all the pretty space in all the Star Trek intros WHY ARE YOU WATCHING STAR TREK IT'S RIGHT THERE IN THE NAME

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Arivia posted:

If you don't like all the pretty space in all the Star Trek intros WHY ARE YOU WATCHING STAR TREK IT'S RIGHT THERE IN THE NAME

Have you sat through the Enterprise theme playing? I got be a master of knowing when to hit FF/Play so I got from from "It's been a lo---" to actual start of the episode.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

JediTalentAgent posted:

Have you sat through the Enterprise theme playing? I got be a master of knowing when to hit FF/Play so I got from from "It's been a lo---" to actual start of the episode.

The Enterprise theme is space ships, not stars. That one I understand skipping.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
I‘d happily defend Bojack Horseman as one of the best opening credits sequences in the history of television.

We’re working through The Rockford Files which so far—early S1—is aging better than I had expected, given that it’s about a PI who’s a single guy and it’s the 1970s. Yeah, he’s a little bit of a player but not a sleaze about it, representation of PoC in positions of authority is pretty good (though no clients yet) and so far no Mr. Wint/Mr. Kidd murderous-homosexual bullshit though he does provoke a guy in the pilot by calling him “queer”. The theme song is great, obviously, but at this point they still haven’t decided how to get out of it and it just kind of kerflumps to an end when the credits are over.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Best intros along with everything else is police squad

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

The only intro I don't think I've ever skipped is Gravity Falls.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I've never skipped the opening to Sledgehammer

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I like when there were new characters added to the show at some point and they have to shoehorn them into the opening.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyu_MdKBXic

edit:
Hell, I couldn't even skip it when I posted it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Scrubs intro is the platonic ideal imo

And +1 to bojack

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23GrEhLUF_k

I will run from other rooms to watch/sing this.

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BZlFRVz-ig

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 04:12 on Aug 23, 2018

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyu_MdKBXic

edit:
Hell, I couldn't even skip it when I posted it.

:allears: love this one

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Scrubs intro is the platonic ideal imo

idk mate

Tales from the Crypt
True Blood
Man in the High Castle
A-Team
Samurai Jack
Wonder Years
Twilight Zone
Cheers
Fresh Prince
GLOW
Highlander
Get Smart

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I liked how the Weeds intro had someone different cover the theme song each episode.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The wife and I lazily watched like 4 seasons of Burn Notice over the past couple months and man that intro gets annoying as poo poo after episode 3 if you try to watch a ton in a row.

Especially once Nate dies . Every episode leads with a breakdown of what happened for the previous episodes of the season. Its nuts.

Edit:whoops spoiler tag

Yngwie Mangosteen has a new favorite as of 14:45 on Aug 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:lost:

Greatest intro