Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Josef bugman posted:

What is it about Matt and the ability to just create insanely funny NPC's.

I'm hoping his Stuttering Cajun Tortle Bard from the fireside chat shows up in the next couple of episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

DeathSandwich posted:

I'm hoping his Stuttering Cajun Tortle Bard from the fireside chat shows up in the next couple of episodes.

I believe that was part of the deal with him making it, that the NPC has to show up at some point in one of the episodes. Doesn't necessarily have to be a major player, but is somebody.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
They are headed to the coast so it'd be the ideal time for it.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Hey so they they're making a new show about explaining certain rules right out of the PHB, and I'm sure it'll be highly entertaining and somewhat informative

but

do I want the CR crew explaining the rules to me

I have literally never cared about any missed call or blown rule that happened in the show. The people who flip their poo poo when it happens and the people who defend it with "it's their game!/something something homebrew!" are both equally wrong, but it's never affected my enjoyment of the show.

But let's be real, stuff gets misread and misused all the drat time on CR, it's just a known fact. What they need to do is dive into it fully and have Liam explain action economy and Sam do spellcasting and Marisha do... reading

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Handbooker Helper: the blind leading the blind.

No but seriously who needs the handbook explained to them. 5e has its issues with its "natural language" but it is still very readable. I'm kind of bewildered that this was the best idea they could come up with for a new show.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

In It For The Tank posted:

Handbooker Helper: the blind leading the blind.

No but seriously who needs the handbook explained to them. 5e has its issues with its "natural language" but it is still very readable. I'm kind of bewildered that this was the best idea they could come up with for a new show.

They said a while back that a large part of their audience never played D&D and that they were thinking of a show just like this to ease them into the rules. I got the feeling from the intro vid that it will be more guest stars explaining the concepts, rather than the CR crew. Otherwise we'll have a 40 episodes long series on just figuring out action/bonus action :v:

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
For what it's worth I have literally never played D&D and have only ever played ONE one shot tabletop RPG (Paranoia) and CR has me wanting to jump headlong into D&D even though none of my friends are interested. So, a show that explains concepts that may be glossed over in regular sessions is pretty valuable to someone like me. It sounds like I'm not very unique in that respect as far as the CR audience goes.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

There is a HUGE chunk of the CR audience who have never played D&D before or indeed any tabletop games at all. At every single panel they have at conventions, they ask for a show of hands of people who started playing D&D because of CR and it's always at least 50% of the room, even at RPG specific cons like Gencon. Getting into tabletop gaming is a huge leap, especially if you don't have any friends in real life who play it and only your online friends seem interested. A show that covers the very basic stuff that fans are nervous to ask about because they seem like "dumb questions" is honestly a great option for a quick side show that Matt and Marisha can easily film a lot of episodes of ahead of time.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Made that much more noticeable with the fact that even a lot of people who were interested in Critical Role found it pretty daunting to start with Campaign 1 for a variety of reasons (early audio quality, starting off without an easy introduction to the characters, the *overwhelming* backlog, etc.) So like me, they waited and jumped in with the start of Campaign 2... at which point, pretty much everyone at the table knows what they are supposed to do 90% of the time when Matt asks for it, so you don't really get a lot of context clues beyond them being either happy or upset with certain results.

I made it through about thirty hours without knowing what "roll with dis/advantage" even meant until I eventually got bored at work and looked it up on my own. :eng99:

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

CuwiKhons posted:

There is a HUGE chunk of the CR audience who have never played D&D before or indeed any tabletop games at all. At every single panel they have at conventions, they ask for a show of hands of people who started playing D&D because of CR and it's always at least 50% of the room, even at RPG specific cons like Gencon. Getting into tabletop gaming is a huge leap, especially if you don't have any friends in real life who play it and only your online friends seem interested. A show that covers the very basic stuff that fans are nervous to ask about because they seem like "dumb questions" is honestly a great option for a quick side show that Matt and Marisha can easily film a lot of episodes of ahead of time.

If the intent of the show is to teach brand new players what they need to start playing themselves by feeding them individual concepts in bite size chunks once a week, it will take... what... several months before viewers will be ready to start playing? Assuming no prior knowledge.

There are already so many "Playing 5e 101" videos available (that are also all-encompassing so that you can watch one video and be ready to roll) that, even with addition of the Critical Role cast's personal charm, it seems lacking in vision. I get that they want to expand their brand but I think you're dead on that they chose this particular show idea because they could film an entire series of episodes in the space of probably like two hours with zero effort.

I'm sure it will have its own audience and I'm not trying to knock it (too much), but I was hoping for more when they announced new projects. Maybe they'll still surprise me.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 23, 2018

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

It's the first thing they've announced and they only moved into the new studio like, a month and a half ago. I'm sure they have other things planned but this probably came up first because it is so dead easy to film and get posted.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

CuwiKhons posted:

It's the first thing they've announced and they only moved into the new studio like, a month and a half ago. I'm sure they have other things planned but this probably came up first because it is so dead easy to film and get posted.

This is probably the main reason. Getting this kind of thing sorted is going to be a long term thing.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
It is also something that their fans have asked from them a ton and they've been redirecting to those other YouTube videos. Now they'll be able to keep them in house on the channel which just makes good sense from their perspective.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
It's not like any of the cast brushing up on the book will be a bad thing either, can only improve the rules consistency of the show. I mostly turn my brain off on that stuff, but I can't do it completely so any bit more in the "not borking stuff up" direction is welcome.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Yes, less not grasping some basic rules - I'm looking at you, well, everyone on the cast - and more misunderstanding the situation and (C1 spoiler) jumping off a cliff *goldfish* splat!

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

It probably doesn't help that I think most of them drink while they play. Not excessively by any means and not all of them every episode, but we know at least that Sam is usually drinking alcohol and I'm pretty sure Liam and Marisha do too. There's nothing wrong with that and most of my friends would argue that if you're not at least a little drunk while playing D&D, then what's even the point. But I'm sure it doesn't help them keep the minutia of the game straight, nor does the fact that most of them show up to the game after work. Because they have other jobs. And Taliesin's talked about how sometimes he just doesn't sleep for several days straight.

So yeah. They're not always great at rules but poo poo, neither am I. It's not that big of a deal.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CuwiKhons posted:

It probably doesn't help that I think most of them drink while they play. Not excessively by any means and not all of them every episode, but we know at least that Sam is usually drinking alcohol and I'm pretty sure Liam and Marisha do too. There's nothing wrong with that and most of my friends would argue that if you're not at least a little drunk while playing D&D, then what's even the point. But I'm sure it doesn't help them keep the minutia of the game straight, nor does the fact that most of them show up to the game after work. Because they have other jobs. And Taliesin's talked about how sometimes he just doesn't sleep for several days straight.

So yeah. They're not always great at rules but poo poo, neither am I. It's not that big of a deal.

Back in season 1 they were gifted a bottle of whiskey by a fan that they all drank through the episode. I think that was the one where Grog had his fight in the arena, culminating in Vex flashing him to give him a buff. You could tell they were all getting pretty sloshed by the end.

Matt posted on Reddit that he's the only one who really doesn't drink during the game, as he wants to stay competent. He still drinks plenty outside of the show, plus the visits to Burning Man. I think he and Marisha are party animals when they have free time; they even posted on Instagram that they have cards to get into Cloak & Dagger, an extremely exclusive Los Angeles nightclub that's almost entirely the realm of celebrities and their friends. Nobody's even sure exactly how to get an invite beyond "Know someone who can give you an invite".

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Jesus Christ, is Sam using his giant flask for its intended purpose? If so, how is that man still alive?

On the other topic at hand, the only exposure I’ve had to D&D is this and the D&D campaign on the LP subforum that included medibot, panzer skank, gharbad, either chip cheezum or general ironicus and a few others I forget ( which was a lot of fun, a lot more comedy focused than CR), so I appreciate a deep dive into the rules, even if it’s a slow burn. This show has piqued my interest in D&D even though none of my irl friends are really into this sort of thing. If I can find a group to play with in the future I’d at least like to know the ins and outs as best I can.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

Jesus Christ, is Sam using his giant flask for its intended purpose? If so, how is that man still alive?

On the other topic at hand, the only exposure I’ve had to D&D is this and the D&D campaign on the LP subforum that included medibot, panzer skank, gharbad, either chip cheezum or general ironicus and a few others I forget ( which was a lot of fun, a lot more comedy focused than CR), so I appreciate a deep dive into the rules, even if it’s a slow burn. This show has piqued my interest in D&D even though none of my irl friends are really into this sort of thing. If I can find a group to play with in the future I’d at least like to know the ins and outs as best I can.

You can also visit the Traditional Games subforum and there's people playing lots of games on there!

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Go here and drop a filter for the recruiting Thread Tag.

There's 3 DnD games recruiting right now, a game of The One Ring, Unknown Armies, Dark Heresy, PBTA games...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Speaking of Sam's flask, Marisha's studio tour showed that they now have the Scanlan mug on a shelf behind the playing space as an artifact.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

You can also visit the Traditional Games subforum and there's people playing lots of games on there!

Oh poo poo! I forgot there was a traditional games subforum!

The last person I asked about online campaigns suggested finding a group on 4chan (loving 4chan) so I’ll definitely hit up that subforum when I’m able to.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Have I got good news for you: that gang still does live play podcast as Six Feats Under. http://www.sixfeatsunder.com/

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Teddybear posted:

Have I got good news for you: that gang still does live play podcast as Six Feats Under. http://www.sixfeatsunder.com/

Omg this is the greatest news

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

This is an excellent question for more than one reason - on Talks a month or two back, he mentioned that because of its size, he had no real way of cleaning it. So he wasn't. He said it had started to smell pretty bad but "I figure the alcohol will disinfect it, right?" Brian and Marisha were both absolutely disgusted and a week or two later, a fan gifted them a very large wire brush to clean it out with.

chitoryu12 posted:

Speaking of Sam's flask, Marisha's studio tour showed that they now have the Scanlan mug on a shelf behind the playing space as an artifact.

That thing probably qualifies as a chemical weapon at this point.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CuwiKhons posted:

That thing probably qualifies as a chemical weapon at this point.

It's probably gained half an inch in height from all the stuff stuck to the bottom.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
More of those weird buffalo-like creatures visited them in the night

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Marisha and Travis are full of weird energy tonight

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
THAUMATURGY :haw:

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Who says this isn't your average dnd group

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

it's nice to see a random perception check while travelling succeeding in this way -- a little side-quest that can generate a larger arc depending on who they just stole from -- rather than just being another "you see the monsters coming before they get to you"

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

What were the whispers Tal. What were the whispers.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Adnor posted:

What were the whispers Tal. What were the whispers.

DOUBLE WHISPERS tonight

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

I love how much Tal enjoys being Caduceus.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
No Jester, don't buy from a kitten mill. Adopt a rescue like your foremother :ohdear:

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

I am Matts long suffering face at the 1 girl 2 cubs joke

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

This is all just a leadup to introducing semi-regular guest Dee Bradley Baker.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Teddybear posted:

This is all just a leadup to introducing semi-regular guest Dee Bradley Baker.

Perfect.

Edit: fun fact, a blink dog is smarter than Caduceus.

Keru fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Aug 24, 2018

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I cannot adequately put into words just how down I am with Tsundere Owl joining the party. :syoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Generic American posted:

I cannot adequately put into words just how down I am with Tsundere Owl joining the party. :syoon:

Mercer introducing fuckin' animal companions. This guy!