Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

go ahead you can laugh all you want, but ben folds is probably my favorite artist. unafraid to invoke schmaltz yet also capably of cynical bite as well, i happened on the first ben folds five record a year ago, just as i'd been loving with the piano for a couple of months. it really opened up a whole new world to me and showed me that you could have fun and be sardonic with a piano, you didn't have to be classical or chopin obsessed.

WEAEA > BF5 > Rockin' the Suburbs > Reinhold Messner > Supersunnyspeedgraphic > Sound of the Life > Silverman > Way to Normal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neon909
Apr 11, 2017

I like him too and your order is correct. Pretty unique piano-tastic artist, wish he would put out something more relevant/poignant these days...

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

neon909 posted:

I like him too and your order is correct. Pretty unique piano-tastic artist, wish he would put out something more relevant/poignant these days...

i actually really did enjoy his album from 2015 a lot. gives me hope for the direction he's going in, i thought some of the lyrics on it were really good.

also should mention he's writing that book, i wonder if he'll do another album after that

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think people tend to be pretty split on this but Reinhold Messner is the all-time masterpiece of Ben Folds albums to me, it's just a phenomenal record and impresses me every time I listen to it. All of his other stuff is good to great both in and outside of BF5. Well that's my story, thanks for listening.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

He’s good, I was way into him in college and saw him twice, he actually came to my college senior year. He puts on a great live show

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

exquisite tea posted:

I think people tend to be pretty split on this but Reinhold Messner is the all-time masterpiece of Ben Folds albums to me, it's just a phenomenal record and impresses me every time I listen to it. All of his other stuff is good to great both in and outside of BF5. Well that's my story, thanks for listening.

i'm meh on it. it was supposed to be a much more conceptual album but songs got cut and caleb southern did a bunch of editing because the label wouldn't let them make something so ambitious - i think if they got their way it'd be a much better album.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

He’s good, I was way into him in college and saw him twice, he actually came to my college senior year. He puts on a great live show

i wanna go see him so bad but i think he consciously avoids coming to NC anymore

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I like his stuff. I used to be really into him a couple years back but then fell off. Every now and again I’ll listen again and it’s good.

I like the BFF version of She Don’t Use Jelly.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Skeezy posted:

I like his stuff. I used to be really into him a couple years back but then fell off. Every now and again I’ll listen again and it’s good.

I like the BFF version of She Don’t Use Jelly.

his cover of the cure's inbetween days fuckin slaaaaaaps

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Ben Folds Love is a fun album, as is the collection of university a cappella groups singing his songs.

I know what I’m going to listen to tomorrow.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Last year at a comic convention this kid apropos of nothing told me I look exactly like Ben Folds and I could see eternity.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

exquisite tea posted:

i agree completely

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Stark Fist posted:

i agree completely

i'm glad this thread got bumped, too many people sleepin on my boy ben folds

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BytUY_AwTUs

This is a fun video that you will go through the following stages:

1) 14 minute video ? gently caress that. I'll watch like 30 seconds
2) Ah gently caress this is interesting
3) This is neat
4) Ah gently caress I watched the whole 14 minutes

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Elton John, but he says 'gently caress' a lot.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I'd direct BF5 fans to Gabriel Kahane, particularly The Ambassador. Ya'll might like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3agt-yeE6Bs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3suWr3lvvw

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

SgtScruffy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BytUY_AwTUs

This is a fun video that you will go through the following stages:

1) 14 minute video ? gently caress that. I'll watch like 30 seconds
2) Ah gently caress this is interesting
3) This is neat
4) Ah gently caress I watched the whole 14 minutes

"oh i've seen ben improvise songs before this isn't super spe-wait did he say 'alright chellos'?"

"oh gently caress"

The man is a goddamn savant

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I was listening to "Magic" (BFF's best in my opinion) today, and was reminded that this review exists. If you aren't familiar, Brent DiCrescenzo is the most pretentious and insufferable reviewer of all time, and is probably the reason that most people associate Pitchfork with snobbiness

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/645-the-unauthorized-biography-of-reinhold-messner/

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

SgtScruffy posted:

I was listening to "Magic" (BFF's best in my opinion) today, and was reminded that this review exists. If you aren't familiar, Brent DiCrescenzo is the most pretentious and insufferable reviewer of all time, and is probably the reason that most people associate Pitchfork with snobbiness

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/645-the-unauthorized-biography-of-reinhold-messner/

Oh man, I love me a good (?) DiCrescenzo review and that one does not disappoint. Not going to bother pulling choice quotes because the entire thing is like a self-parody. Aside from the one boring paragraph where he attempts to talk about the music.

(As a reminder, he retired from Pitchfork about 14 years ago. I remember this because his review of the Beastie Boys' 2004 release To the Five Buroughs is mostly him announcing his retirement.)

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

He is an extraordinarily talented musician and songwriter. I was fortunate enough to see him play with the Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra and he superb live.

• Locked thread