Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

rdb posted:

I read so many horror stories of bad DEF and that it goes bad over 95F etc etc.

WTF? How does that work in someplace like here in Vegas where it's possible that it doesn't get much under 95, even at night sometimes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

BitBasher posted:

WTF? How does that work in someplace like here in Vegas where it's possible that it doesn't get much under 95, even at night sometimes?

Its a fluid made of urea and water. I guess the fear is the urea will crystalize and change the concentration. 95F doesn’t kill it but shortens it shelf life to 3 months, I’m not sure how you can tell if its good or not.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The poo poo also freezes. Most vehicles use the coolant to thaw the tank, but if it doesn't thaw within 45 minutes, it starts to derate the truck.

Guess how well that works at -30*C :haw:

I understand the need and benefit of cleaner diesels, but a computer shouldn't be allowed to shut down a fire truck because it's emissions would be a little too high.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BitBasher posted:

perhaps that is why my parents porsche cayenne diesel has gone through three or four def tanks over the past few years. combo of temperature and rarely driven

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I think the germans (bmw anyways) integrated the level sensor into the tank and it commonly fails, making the vehicle think its out of def and limit to 55mph or whatever.

My personal take, the catalyst, DPF and SCR systems have been out for a while and should be reliable by now. If it isn’t and the cost of repair exceeds the cost of a kit, then parts will fall off.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Air bags and ignition cylinders have been out for a while now, too.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

rdb posted:

I didn’t like the hanging def tank on the chevy,.

That's a definite downside, it's an awful placement. You basically -have- to cover it up with a step rail.

We haven't had any issue with DEF fluid itself, and really not many issues with emissions from any of the Big 3, either. Actually I rather like that our big trucks are quieter and don't smell like diesel fumes so bad, especially when it's 100° outside. One of the equipment service techs that comes by scare-mongered quite a bit about how the exhaust runs so hot on the new trucks coming in that we'd be starting grass fires, but the new trucks come with stacks and the bit that gets hot is well up in the air. :v:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Pre-SCR trucks with a DPF could definitely have 1700 degree exhaust.

Newer trucks with a catalyzed DPF and SCR chambers run cool and clean enough that they don't even need stacks anymore.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Powershift posted:

The poo poo also freezes. Most vehicles use the coolant to thaw the tank, but if it doesn't thaw within 45 minutes, it starts to derate the truck.

Guess how well that works at -30*C :haw:

I understand the need and benefit of cleaner diesels, but a computer shouldn't be allowed to shut down a fire truck because it's emissions would be a little too high.

emergency vehicles are exempt from emmision and fuel requirements.

Its got a cop motor in it.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
not my ride but i got to ride shotgun for a few hours of track fun

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
:grin:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Rev up your bidding fingers boyos.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Stop hogging them!

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

I love how those cars mess with my sense of scale. This angle really highlights how testarossa the side air intakes are, except these are... good?!

posted this beauty before but in celebration of deciding not to flip her. When two speed freaks also took a liking to the slow life and hung out a while:

Old Binsby fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 17, 2018

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

You know you have a lot of tiny cars when you can’t fit them all in one photo.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

That van looks like a Toyota Previa and Ford Aerostar had a baby.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Previa_fun posted:

That van looks like a Toyota Previa and Ford Aerostar had a baby.
actually those were both introduced after the Espace hit the market in '84 - the design was completed much earlier still, in '77. It's quite a lot smaller too and much lighter. It's about as heavy as a modern day VW Polo (i.e. <1200 kg). If it's a bastard of any two cars, imo, it's probably the Matra Murena, whose production lines and factory it was built in (resulting in Matra ceasing production of this, rip )

The other parent would be the Matra Rancho, not exactly a rarity (50.000+ were sold) but i've never ever seen one irl

a prettyyy similar dash

The fiberglass panels, the galvanized chassis, three rows of seats, the interior, all of that was on the Rancho as well. At least the espace came with a 2.0L diesel or petrol engine, this oil crisis machine was also sold with a 1.4L gasoline enging producing all of 80hp. There's also a 3.5L V6 Espace but considering the mileage my 2.0 gets I'm really glad to never have been tempted.
:goonsay:

Old Binsby fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 18, 2018

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

SquirrelGrip posted:

not my ride but i got to ride shotgun for a few hours of track fun

Looks fun!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Long overdue :effort: post on the Locost I picked up a couple weeks ago. To start things off this car is what's referred to as a Locost which is a low cost version of the Lotus/Caterham 7 cars built using the guidelines put together in Ron Champion's book "Build Your Own Sports Car For As Little As 250". The book goes over donor vehicles, building the frame, wiring and more recent editions have a section on racing them. I had looked into building one years ago but knowing how bad I am at big long term projects I didn't.

This car has what is referred to as a "Book Chassis" in that the dimensions are those given in the book. There's several versions of the plans out there to suit larger drivers, engines or anything else. The whole point of these cars is build light so you don't need a big engine, the frame itself usually comes in at around 75lb when completed. Triangulation and the aluminum skin give it most of it's strength. Many parts, especially more modern built ones, for these come from Miatas. Mine has Miata hubs, lsd, radiator, axles (shortened), brakes and a bunch of other parts.

So the car...

In an effort to make things as light as possible the builder of mine (I'm the third owner) went with a sportbike engine. Miata engine builds usually end up somewhere in the 1300-1500lb range, bike engine builds are usually closer to 1000. Mine with a 3/4 tank of fuel and me not in it weighed in at 1091lb the other day. Not to bad for having ~150hp. Weight will go up a bit as I'll be adding a cage for track use.

The engine fits pretty well and as a bonus you get the nice sequential motorcycle transmission. To keep weight low this thing is chain drive all the way to the rear. There's two very beefy chains, each running half way, and a jack shaft in the middle. A modified miata limited slip differential is at the rear driving shortened miata axles. Reverse is handled by a second starter motor that engages the chain. The power as you'd expect is ridiculous yet if you keep the rpms low it drives in traffic just fine.

One drastic change from the book plans is inboard suspension using motorcycle shocks and some really nice custom pieces. Rest of the suspension is home made but fairly standard for the build. Brakes are Miata as are the hubs. Appears at one point there was a parking brake fitted, I haven't been under it much yet but I'd like to see why that isn't working. The car is amazingly planted but I really need to get it on track to see what it's capable of.

The cockpit is tight and minimalistic...the radio is completely pointless and is going away when I redo the dash. I want a data logging dash and warning lights Pedal box isn't as tight as some old 911's I've driven and the motorcycle clutch feels like any other car clutch. Pedal box currently isn't sealed to engine bay which I'll have to fix because it gets hot as hell. Seats are bolted directly to the floor, you adjust them by drilling new holes. So you're rear end is a couple inches off the ground and if you hang your arm over the side you can touch the ground easily.

Other stuff. Rota Flashback wheels, not sure weight but they seem heavy compared to 15x7 Kosei. Car also came with a set of 13x8 track wheels with bias play race rubber mounted. Think that's a miata radiator and overflow tucked in there. Silver box under the fuel cell is where most of the wiring lives, I'd like to move the fuel cell so I can get to that stuff easier.

I meant to get driving video today but forgot the gopro

I'll probably start a thread at some point now that I'm starting to have time to work on things again but for now the to-do list is:
  • Find/fix battery drain
  • Cage
  • Corner balance - once caged
  • Close up pedal box
  • Refresh all fluids
  • Replace old/questionable hoses
  • Drive the hell out of it

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 19, 2018

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
that is loving awesome

i've only ever seen one ever irl randomly parked outside my local bar and it had been minimally maintained

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

That looks like it cost a bit more than £250.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Those look like the stock R1 rear shocks off the 99-03. Radiator and overflow are off that too. Tuned powercommander yet?

Very, very loving cool toy. We need videos :)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Miata brakes must last halfway to forever in a car that weighs 1400lbs fully-loaded.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

That looks like it cost a bit more than £250.
Yeah it was a few several times that for me to buy it ready to go. I'm sure build cost wasn't cheap either.

BlackMK4 posted:

Those look like the stock R1 rear shocks off the 99-03. Radiator and overflow are off that too. Tuned powercommander yet?

Very, very loving cool toy. We need videos :)
Upside R1 shocks are cheap, downside I'm not sure how fine I'll be able to tune things. They're already at their max height/stiffness setting with spacers/blocks in the rear. I suppose using the R1 radiator makes sense and so far even sitting in traffic I've never seen it get over 180F.

No power commander yet...the few times I've been able to really open it up were already :aaaaa: You go full throttle, the whole car squats and the rear just hooks then you're suddenly going WAY too fast. Even in the wet it hooks up surprisingly well and is very neutral unless you do something stupid. I need to get it on track a few times and re-calibrate my brain then I'll start looking at more power.

MrYenko posted:

Miata brakes must last halfway to forever in a car that weighs 1400lbs fully-loaded.
Consumables should last a long drat time which is a big plus for this. I even have a set of track pads and new rotors that will fit from when I was going to build a spec miata. Actually kind of worried I won't be able to get enough heat into race pads.

Bi-weekly drift meet is at my friends kart track Saturday, he said I can come bomb around before they start and slide with them if I want. There will be video, pictures and everything else. I have a set of 13" wheels/tires off the E21 that should bolt up I may bring just to shred.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 19, 2018

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That thing drifting with the R1 singing up near the rev limiter is going to be... A thing.

:dong:

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
That's lovely. I still think I prefer car engined to bike engined but boy bike engined does sound like a hoot.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Neat 7 NitroSpazzz!
So, on the diff, it looks like the ring gear was replaced by a sprocket, and the lsd/spider enclosed? How is it lubricated?
And yeah, that silver caliper is a mechanical caliper for a kart, which can be used as a parking brake. They’re really simple, so if it doesn’t work it’s likely the adjustment or cable.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I need to look closer at the diff but from what I've been told from the seller is fill it about half way because any more and it leaks. Makes sense, most diff's are only filled half way. Must be a drain/fill plug but I can't picture a vent so maybe it pushes out the end seals?

I didn't see a cable hooked up to the parking brake so the guy I bought it from may have disconnected it when he was doing other work in the tunnel. There's a "Park" toggle on the dash but right now it isn't doing anything, can't hear anything acting.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Sounds like it's supposed to use an actuator or something, if it's a toggle switch. May not have gotten finished, or failed.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Guessing the LSD is hooked up similar to a Formula SAE car. Lot of them use a miata LSD in a housing connected to a large gear since they too use moto engines. Probably have better luck researching that.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Back when I was doing FSAE viability studies, I came across these guys.

http://www.drexler-motorsport.com.au/products.html

Probably not the same thing, but you never know.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

I've put 3k on my Challenger since I bought it in July. More than half what the previous owner put on it in two and half years. I love this car,

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

SFH1989 posted:

I've put 3k on my Challenger since I bought it in July. More than half what the previous owner put on it in two and half years. I love this car,

the previous owner must have had some excellent other cars if that’s the distance he managed. Fun looking car, real clean for a design rocking 2 hood scoops

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

SFH1989 posted:

Is that a submarine??? :psypop:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Somewhat Heroic posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Albacore_(AGSS-569)#Decommissioning

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
My AZ-1 is pretty portly at 1500 and only 64 hp but at least I can not get wet in the rain :c00l:

Also going to be keeping this Jimny for a while

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I wanted to use the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard as a background but there's nowhere to do that right now. So I figured a The Albacore was just as good.

Albacore park is a neat place to visit if you're in Portsmouth New Hampshire and want a break from visiting breweries.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KakerMix posted:

My AZ-1 is pretty portly at 1500 and only 64 hp but at least I can not get wet in the rain :c00l:

I want one to keep in my trunk :allears:

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

KakerMix posted:

Also going to be keeping this Jimny for a while

You aught to get a great big wind-up key and glue it to the rear bumper of the AZ-1.

I've always wanted to import one of those, but I think I'm too fat to fit in one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Friend is in the process of building a track locally and said I could come run around for a bit. Track is fairly narrow right now so it's mostly for karts and drifting but he's expanding/paving as funds allow. My gopro mount broke when I did a final adjustment going out so phone camera will have to do for now. The thing is stupid fast and even on the street tires it sticks drat good. Track was also dusty with some dirty spots as this was a drifting day and they tend to cut corners or go off track. Video is my second run of the day, 2nd time on track with that car so still getting a feel for it. It's FAST

https://www.facebook.com/grassrootsmotorplex/videos/310475456376469/
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6ry8AubGFg

May have drone footage later and probably some action shots from one of the photographers that was out there.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Aug 26, 2018