Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i lived downtown (like downtown crossing) and fuckin loved it. it was slightly (a couple hundred dollars) more expensive than somerville/cambridge at the time (i was working in cambridge) but 1000x nicer than any of the places i looked at in camb/somerville.

i hope you're planning on commuting by MBTA because those drives would all blow rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum

Diva Cupcake posted:

seaport district

if it is close to south station you could take the commuter rail in from basically anywhere. you don’t necessarily have to live in Cambridge unless you really want to.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

sure we’re coming from Hoboken and the idea would be to try to keep the lifestyle of a walkable, stroller friendly town with ample restaurants and day-drinking to minimize any regret and culture shock. pickings are slim yo. or pickings less than 4k for a 2B anyways.

Boston proper on the north or west end seem like options.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

I just changed jobs in June. I sent out applications to two of the big, high paying tech companies in the area that I had friends at. I’d applied to both in December and heard nothing, but completely redid my resume and sent it. I heard from both within a week. one went fairly quickly, finished the whole process in just over a month, including recruiter screen, 2 technical pairing interviews, and an all day on site. didn’t get the job.

the other one, I had a call with the recruiter quickly, and then 6 weeks of “were still evaluating our openings for this position, I’m meeting with the VP tomorrow to figure that out so you’ll hear back soon”. talking with other friends who applied there, this wasn’t uncommon at all, and they are notorious in the city for having a poo poo hiring process. I know someone who went through the process for 6 months.

aside from that I worked with 3 external recruiters. one I failed the tech screen on (without any details on why, but it was a take home exercise that I put 6 hours into and then just submitted, not entirely done, so I get it), another was too slow, and the third I ended up accepting the offer and am working there now. I turned down quite a few external recruiters for location, pay, lack of details, or just a lovely intro message.

all told I spent about 8 weeks actively looking and interviewing as a senior software engineer in a fairly big tech city, taking a lot of time off to do it.

I’d say if you aren’t getting responses, reevaluate your resume. my first pass got me no responses at all, and was really disheartening. rewriting it with more detail and more self hype got me a complete turn around in responses.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
A bunch of my coworkers love the north end in boston. They're all postage stamp apartments but the area is really nice.

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum

Diva Cupcake posted:

sure we’re coming from Hoboken and the idea would be to try to keep the lifestyle of a walkable, stroller friendly town with ample restaurants and day-drinking to minimize any regret and culture shock. pickings are slim yo. or pickings less than 4k for a 2B anyways.

brookline, newton, jamaica plain are all pretty nice places to push a stroller around in. avoid allston/brighton unless you want to live with a bunch of college students. ask the boston thread in LAN, they probably know better than me, a lame suburbanite.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

EVGA Longoria posted:

I just changed jobs in June. I sent out applications to two of the big, high paying tech companies in the area that I had friends at. I’d applied to both in December and heard nothing, but completely redid my resume and sent it. I heard from both within a week. one went fairly quickly, finished the whole process in just over a month, including recruiter screen, 2 technical pairing interviews, and an all day on site. didn’t get the job.

the other one, I had a call with the recruiter quickly, and then 6 weeks of “were still evaluating our openings for this position, I’m meeting with the VP tomorrow to figure that out so you’ll hear back soon”. talking with other friends who applied there, this wasn’t uncommon at all, and they are notorious in the city for having a poo poo hiring process. I know someone who went through the process for 6 months.

aside from that I worked with 3 external recruiters. one I failed the tech screen on (without any details on why, but it was a take home exercise that I put 6 hours into and then just submitted, not entirely done, so I get it), another was too slow, and the third I ended up accepting the offer and am working there now. I turned down quite a few external recruiters for location, pay, lack of details, or just a lovely intro message.

all told I spent about 8 weeks actively looking and interviewing as a senior software engineer in a fairly big tech city, taking a lot of time off to do it.

I’d say if you aren’t getting responses, reevaluate your resume. my first pass got me no responses at all, and was really disheartening. rewriting it with more detail and more self hype got me a complete turn around in responses.

As someone who is reading endless resumes right now, I fully support being concise and impactful in your resume. Imagine you had to describe your project in a tweet. Tell me languages and tech up front, and any performance numbers if you can. If I don't vaguely understand what you did in 10 seconds then you've failed to convince me you're not mealy mouthing and I've probably already lost interest.

Also actually putting effort into the presentation of your resume earns you an extra 60 seconds of reading time from me. I know technically it shouldn't matter, but I can't count how many resumes I just cba to read because the rear end in a top hat used double line spacing or clearly threw something cheap together in msword in an hour and shipped. If it's easy on the eyes and all the right information just falls into my brain, you get a pass.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
we get a ton of four-page resumes that lists every buzzword the candidate has ever been peripherally associated with and i just don't get it

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

what are my actual options for iOS job in Manhattan that aren’t poo poo start ups?

I’m senior but not senior enough to be considered for a lead

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

raminasi posted:

we get a ton of four-page resumes that lists every buzzword the candidate has ever been peripherally associated with and i just don't get it

page two of my resume is buzzword bingo for getting by automated keyword filters

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Diva Cupcake posted:

we're in belmont with a 2 year old and it's pretty good

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bloody posted:

page two of my resume is buzzword bingo for getting by automated keyword filters

yes. page 1 is for humans. page 2 is for machines but still pleasantly formatted for humans

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

mod saas posted:

yes. page 1 is for humans. page 2 is for machines but still pleasantly formatted for humans

what are pages three and for four

“ah i see you’ve worked with .net 4.6, .net 4.5, .net 4.0, .net 3.5, .net 3.0, and .net 2.0, that’s exactly what we’re looking for in a candidate”

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

my favorite resumes are those of people who have like 10+ years experience but still have specific sections with listed hobbies like karate or paintball at the end just in case they might be Dwight Schrute

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

it is important for people to know you are a human

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

I'm conducting an interview soon for a fresh graduate who listed their ASVAB percentile, doesn't even have any listed military experience, and also listed their mediocre ACT score.

A person I interviewed the other day left out a lot of relevant volunteer and leadership experience from their resume that I only gleaned after talking with them in person.

loving bizarre.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

i got a resume from a guy who decided that prefacing his name with "super" was a good idea. as in "super dan flemming". he did not get an interview.

people are weird.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Steve Jorbs posted:

I'm conducting an interview soon for a fresh graduate who listed their ASVAB percentile, doesn't even have any listed military experience, and also listed their mediocre ACT score.

guidance/career/whatever people at the university probably told them to do that dumb poo poo to pad stuff out

raminasi posted:

what are pages three and for four

“ah i see you’ve worked with .net 4.6, .net 4.5, .net 4.0, .net 3.5, .net 3.0, and .net 2.0, that’s exactly what we’re looking for in a candidate”

this is literally what some HR departments do so its somewhat understandable if the first page is the "real" resume

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Diva Cupcake posted:

i got a resume from a guy who decided that prefacing his name with "super" was a good idea. as in "super dan flemming". he did not get an interview.

people are weird.

you sure his parents didn't gently caress him over with that?

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Well, Super should drop the super or go by a pseudonym then. Just explain the situation when it comes time for a background check and onboarding.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hobbesmaster posted:

srsly, i know a guy named "sir james lastname", and he just goes with it because it's either kinky or boring depending on which shortening he picks.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Steve Jorbs posted:

Well, Super should drop the super or go by a pseudonym then. Just explain the situation when it comes time for a background check and onboarding.

s. dan fleming

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

his linkedin was just his normal full name. he specifically added it to his resume.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Bloody posted:

it is important for people to know you are a human

Er no, the ideal worker is a robot who has no interests other than to work exhaustively and loyally for the wealth of the company, specifically the company owners, for lovely/no pay and eventually die an undignified death. At this point he will be replaced by the next worker robot that comes pre-upgraded to the latest version of JavaScript or whatever awful language you choose to impose on your drones.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Had my interview today, I think it went pretty well. I spent most of the last week reading as much of the CLRS algorithms book as I could and doing lots of problems from cracking the coding interview and on hackerrank, so thanks for those recommendations. Now we play the waiting game.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

qhat posted:

Er no, the ideal worker is a robot who has no interests other than to work exhaustively and loyally for the wealth of the company, specifically the company owners, for lovely/no pay and eventually die an undignified death. At this point he will be replaced by the next worker robot that comes pre-upgraded to the latest version of JavaScript or whatever awful language you choose to impose on your drones.

those ideal people don't exist and the worker bees who might try to LARP as one will flame out (too)

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
I'm just thinking about the description of a company as an _actual_ value-maximizing A.I., just a slow one made out of humans instead of silicon. not sure about specific insights but it seems like a good perspective if you need to recontextualize your (real or potential) relationship with an employer or employers

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

hobbesmaster posted:

guidance/career/whatever people at the university probably told them to do that dumb poo poo to pad stuff out

this is literally what some HR departments do so its somewhat understandable if the first page is the "real" resume

it never is, the first page is always as useless as the rest of them

another fun one I feel like I see a lot is each listed job having its own buzzword section. and they repeat as necessary.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

prisoner of waffles posted:

I'm just thinking about the description of a company as an _actual_ value-maximizing A.I., just a slow one made out of humans instead of silicon. not sure about specific insights but it seems like a good perspective if you need to recontextualize your (real or potential) relationship with an employer or employers

that point has been brought up in other threads, yeah. it’s a pretty apt description imo

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Asleep Style posted:

Had my interview today, I think it went pretty well. I spent most of the last week reading as much of the CLRS algorithms book as I could and doing lots of problems from cracking the coding interview and on hackerrank, so thanks for those recommendations. Now we play the waiting game.

Congrats... I'm playing that waiting game now and its the worst loving part.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

ADINSX posted:

Congrats... I'm playing that waiting game now and its the worst loving part.

See you in the land of milk and figgies :cheers:

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
woah finally got a reply for an application i submitted. it's a "we've decided to move forward with other applicants" variety, but honestly it's refreshing to get _something_ back

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Asleep Style posted:

See you in the land of milk and figgies :cheers:

You'll have to go without me friend, after two "hey whats up" emails, one on Wednesday, and one today... I finally got back a response "blah blah going with someone else".

Pretty sure they would have just ghosted me if I hadn't asked for an update earlier today... and of course nothing in the way of useful feedback. I'm pretty pissed. There aren't a lot of jobs that combine geospatial stuff with big data, and I thought I'd be a pretty good fit... so its humbling I guess. I must have blown the gently caress out of the interview (though not enough to get an early response?) because they have a ton of open positions, so that makes it hurt even more.

I'm almost back to square one... I have some other stuff in the pipe but I'm not as excited about it after this; maybe I need to just focus on interview prep... but at the same time I really need to get away from this job. Interviewing sucks :(

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

ADINSX posted:

You'll have to go without me friend, after two "hey whats up" emails, one on Wednesday, and one today... I finally got back a response "blah blah going with someone else".

Pretty sure they would have just ghosted me if I hadn't asked for an update earlier today... and of course nothing in the way of useful feedback. I'm pretty pissed. There aren't a lot of jobs that combine geospatial stuff with big data, and I thought I'd be a pretty good fit... so its humbling I guess. I must have blown the gently caress out of the interview (though not enough to get an early response?) because they have a ton of open positions, so that makes it hurt even more.

I'm almost back to square one... I have some other stuff in the pipe but I'm not as excited about it after this; maybe I need to just focus on interview prep... but at the same time I really need to get away from this job. Interviewing sucks :(

or some director wanted the hiring manager's budget, or some vp pulled some reorganization power play, or any one of a hundred other bureaucratic horseshit things that could tank an otherwise qualified candidate

don't take it personally

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

exactly. you might have killed that interview and the hiring process is totally out of that manager’s hands. keep at it.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
yeah. there is literally no figuring what happens in a company after an interview. just keep applying and interviewing and tweaking your resume

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
i got called by a headhunter today, don't want to bore you with details but the process was new to me, and a little funny

first guy i talked to is obviously new, his phone call quality is lovely, he asks the basic and silly questions ("on that project what percentage would you say you were doing architecting and what percentage would you say you were doing implementing?")

he transfers me to a guy with a better sounding telephone who tells me about the company he's hiring for, says my pay expectation is too high but he'll do what he can lol

he sends me back to the first guy, they want me to visit their office in person before they put me in touch with their client!

this must be a test to see if i'm a freak or not, in that case im hosed

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Thanks for the encouragement; I'm trying to stay positive and I'll focus on the things I know I could do better in the interviews; but it is frustrating that its such a black box.

Does anyone have experience with interview coaching? I see dumb ads on linkedin all the time like "Ex Googlers teach you to interview!!" but those seem like scams... The concept makes sense though, its a pretty artificial skill and I'm happy to learn it if it means my choice of jobs and more figs.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
just do interviews you'll figure it out. from the interviewer's side unless its a super competent company most interviews are gonna be more about if they like you or not. if they are super competent it will be about if they like you or not and if they think you'll be a burden to the team

from you're side you want to make sure you like them (this is actually important and you shouldn't ignore it) and that you're clear on what they would expect you to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

meatpotato posted:

i got called by a headhunter today, don't want to bore you with details but the process was new to me, and a little funny

first guy i talked to is obviously new, his phone call quality is lovely, he asks the basic and silly questions ("on that project what percentage would you say you were doing architecting and what percentage would you say you were doing implementing?")

he transfers me to a guy with a better sounding telephone who tells me about the company he's hiring for, says my pay expectation is too high but he'll do what he can lol

he sends me back to the first guy, they want me to visit their office in person before they put me in touch with their client!

this must be a test to see if i'm a freak or not, in that case im hosed

if this is workbridge associates run far, far away. they are worse than useless.