Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah, it's a 2011 model. E-waste it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

A tickert:

quote:

TICKET #742094
FW: SLOW COMPUTER SWIRLING

Is there anything I can do to speed up my fing computer It gets stuck swirling
all the time in a CD and in print docs - I am having to do everything twice it
seems and just switching between screens and files it is so slow- way more than
normal
Please point me in the right direction

Thank you so much

Swirling

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Zapf Dingbat posted:

A tickert:

Swirling
I assume it's the loading circle/"swirl".

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Zapf Dingbat posted:

A tickert:

quote:

all the time in a CD

Who in 2018 even uses CDs as part of their daily workflow?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

[/quote]

Disk access mouse cursor?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Jonny Nox posted:

quote:

Disk access mouse cursor?

Archives of Bonzi Buddy Cursors

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I am under the impressions like 10% of our optical drives are busted but no one uses them. Couple years could go by before anyone bothers lol.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

GreenNight posted:

100% HP isn’t bad. It’s good to standardize.

It is! The reason HP was chosen is not known to me, and probably doesn't matter in the long run.

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

It was probably blinking because it didn't have any RAM. Pop some DIMMs in there and I bet it takes you right to the 'no bootable device' screen.

Sounds as likely as anything else. We don't have spare DIMMs to throw in there and while fixing a hosed BIOS is within my job description, caring about why/how parts mysteriously disappeared is not. That is why the case of the missing parts is Asset Management's problem now, instead of mine.

spankmeister posted:

Yeah, or just write it off and stop worrying about it.

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah, it's a 2011 model. E-waste it.

Exactly. I wager that once the AM guys figure out where the gently caress the HDD/RAM went, we'll E-waste it. We don't have parts on hand to replace the missing poo poo and we're not so ungodly strapped for money that we have to keep this old hardware running.

We have a stack of 6550bs that, since there is no patch for Spectre/Meltdown for them and they are vulnerable, are going to get similarly decommissioned and recycled.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Our outsourced IT is worse than useless. We put in a ticket for a domain's SSL certificate expiring ten days ago. IT logged this as a "future event" and put it on hold. Cue yesterday when the certificate expired and nothing had been done with the ticket still on hold.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yesterday I got a Compaq Armada E500 back that apparently was still being used in production. Windows 2000 baby!

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

u brexit ukip it posted:

Our outsourced IT is worse than useless. We put in a ticket for a domain's SSL certificate expiring ten days ago. IT logged this as a "future event" and put it on hold. Cue yesterday when the certificate expired and nothing had been done with the ticket still on hold.

Almost all outsourced IT is worse than useless.
This coming from someone that deals (or rather dealt) with them on a daily basis.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Malek posted:

Almost all outsourced IT is worse than useless.
This coming from someone that deals (or rather dealt) with them on a daily basis.

We have some large customers who have outsourced IT so I can confirm this.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

We are the outsourced IT and I can also confirm.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Compaq Armada
This was such a good product line

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

The people at my job thought they hated "how bad IT is" until we we dipped our toe into overflow and overnight calls going to some outsourced people and lol that changed overnight.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

LethalGeek posted:

The people at my job thought they hated "how bad IT is" until we we dipped our toe into overflow and overnight calls going to some outsourced people and lol that changed overnight.

Same thing happened when we got bought. We used to be so slow and unresponsive and now people have to wait 2-3 days for a ticket to even be triaged/assigned and it's amazing watching the dawning realization that we are actually good and fast.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

dragonshardz posted:

who would bother stealing the HDD and RAM of a base model Probook 6560b?

A sata HDD is useful to anyone who knows how to use it. Any RAM is very sellable.

We had a similar case. Someone brought in their machine.
"I came back from vacation and it's not working."
"Do you need files from it?"
"No our team uses the network drives."
Great. So we put it in the 're-image these' box, gave them a replacement of the same model that was ready-to-go and forgot about it for a couple months until we were desperate for used machines. Turns out it is hard to image something with no hard drive.
At this point no one remembered who dropped it off. While the machine was on the AD, afaik we don't have a way of determining who last used it.
The spreadsheet that connects machines to people was not reliable in this case: the listed person quit the company years ago resulting in a classic case of team leaders hoarding former employee hardware.

We reported it to our boss where it became Not My Problem™. The machine was never seen heard from again.

Hand it off to your boss or security officer maybe? It has become 'a security issue" what with potential company or personal info.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Quick question before I go to the Haus of Tech Support, has anyone ever heard of 3d modelling software breaking sound on a computer? Possibly just Bluetooth, but I think the 3.5mm jacks on the back of the motherboard too. My wife installed the ZBrush trial and the sound stopped working. Then she uninstalled and restarted, it started working again (this was after a lot of fruitless troubleshooting). She loaded up Photoshop's 3D rendering tool, and the exact same thing happened. We ended up just doing a system restore to yesterday because I had no idea how to find the components of Photoshop and remove the 3D part without messing with all of the other brushes and stuff she's added. Now sound is working again, but I really want to see if I can figure out how to get 3d modelling working for her, it's really weird to me because I can't find anything about this happening.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

That's gotta be some weird driver conflict or something of that nature.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

ConfusedUs posted:

That's gotta be some weird driver conflict or something of that nature.

Agreed.

I know that Windows hates the driver that came with my aftermarket soundcard. Everytime Microsoft pushes a major update windows "helpfully" updates the driver to the Microsoft generic version and changes the line-in 3.5mm jack to a microphone jack. The first time it happened I was unprepared and the increase in volume plus the automatically applied +20db boost drat near destroyed my speakers.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Heran Bago posted:

Hand it off to your boss or security officer maybe? It has become 'a security issue" what with potential company or personal info.

Already handed off to the people whose job it is to look into these things - AKA, not me!

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

LethalGeek posted:

I am under the impressions like 10% of our optical drives are busted but no one uses them. Couple years could go by before anyone bothers lol.

I just keep a couple usb opticals to loan out on hand whenever someone needs to read a disc.
I don’t loan them out very often.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

The Nastier Nate posted:

I just keep a couple usb opticals to loan out on hand whenever someone needs to read a disc.

This is what we do. It works very well.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Classic....

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ahdinko posted:

Classic....

Ticket Solved: Restored all users except for [BLANK]'s.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Ahdinko posted:

Classic....

Please tell me it was protected from accidental deletion.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

quote:

Good Morning NEXXAIS-BOSS,

I just wanted to mention that I think nexxai may need a few days off.
I think we broke him !
The software transition has been anything but smooth.
It has been CHAOS !

I have to say that to nexxai's credit not one of the numerous problems and issues was because nexxai did not plan and check and instruct.
In fact when issue after issue has come up, it was someone else not following nexxai's plan or that they were clueless and did something like turn the server off , yep that happened.

Please reward this champ who I think has just weathered the gauntlet of a trying acquisition and my perplexing frowns and select verbiage.
He was sweating bullets for a little while but he did not stop or give in or even get grouchy.

Professional as they come.

I was glad he was there and he navigated the debacle with grace.

Many Thanks !
OWNER-OF-CLIENT
I must be having a stroke

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

nexxai posted:

That's always nice, I think I've had a single client, one time, send praise to a manager/someone other than myself.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

nexxai posted:

You may take an extra 5 minutes on your lunch break today (you will have to stay late to make up this time).

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

MF_James posted:

That's always nice, I think I've had a single client, one time, send praise to a manager/someone other than myself.

We have a monthly meeting with our primary software vendor's support, and I always try to make a point of mentioning anyone who was helpful to me or went out of their way for me.

I'm not super happy with their support, but there are definitely some people there who do their best and deserve some sort of positive reinforcement.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

nexxai posted:

Frame it, ask for raise, champ!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
What is the best private VPN provider and how do you research them? I’d ask in the IT questions thread but I’m a few thousand posts behind. Nord VPN is offering 3 years for $99 (better than the SA deal) but I don’t know if it’s actually good.

https://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/363079

This was in the comments:

Quote from smile17:
For torrents, TorGuard is the best. I can keep connection for days.
I got their VPN for 2 years for $50 (so $25 per year) with 50% off code: TGLifetime50
7 days free to try.

1. First go to their home page: https://torguard.net/index.php
2. Up top click on Anonymous VPN
3. Top-right Annually 59.99 Buy VPN
4. Next page will show option for 2 years: $99.99USD Biennially
5. Follow prompts, enter promo code, and so on.
yummy

Bigass Moth fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 25, 2018

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Nord VPN is fine. It's cheap, it works, and it's based in Panema. Not sure what else you'd really want?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I like NordVPN for how easy it is to select an exit node in a country of your choice. Great for circumventing dumb regional restrictions.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Yeah I looked into NordVPN a bit and the reviews and stories don't seem to set off any alarm bells, and they won't play ball with Netflix which means I won't have to turn it off every time I want to watch something.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Why don't you just spin your own. Algo let's you spin up your own using a cloud provider of your choice. Then it generates all the keys and profiles for iOS/Android/windows/Mac/Linux, etc.

Google Cloud has a $300 trial which should last you quite a while as long as you don't do heavy streaming through it. Then you can generate a new email address and spin up another Algo box quickly.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Mustache Ride posted:

Why don't you just spin your own. Algo let's you spin up your own using a cloud provider of your choice. Then it generates all the keys and profiles for iOS/Android/windows/Mac/Linux, etc.

Google Cloud has a $300 trial which should last you quite a while as long as you don't do heavy streaming through it. Then you can generate a new email address and spin up another Algo box quickly.

Unless they changed I believe GCP is $300 or 3 months, whichever comes first.

E: you're right. I wonder if they changed it or I just burned $300 in 3 mo.

BallerBallerDillz fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 25, 2018

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Pretty sure it's $300 or 1 year.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

You can also run Algo on a digital ocean droplet.

If you actually care about privacy, you should not use a public VPN service.

https://gist.github.com/joepie91/5a9909939e6ce7d09e29

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Yeah I looked into NordVPN a bit and the reviews and stories don't seem to set off any alarm bells, and they won't play ball with Netflix which means I won't have to turn it off every time I want to watch something.

You do need to turn it off for netflix though.