Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I imagine that the early Mickey Mouse cartoons will be passing into the public domain soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Boinks posted:

I imagine that the early Mickey Mouse cartoons will be passing into the public domain soon.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Wait are you serious?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Boinks posted:

Even if the cartoons pass into the public domain, Disney still owns the character of Mickey Mouse, the Disney name, and all sorts of other underlying rights. They also have all the quality film elements, not to mention have 4K masters of every cartoon Disney ever produced - including the pre-Mickey silents and Oswalds.

The absolute best case scenario would be something akin to Mill Creek's garbage quality Night of the Living Dead Blu-ray to compete with Criterion's 4K-from-the-camera-negative release with extras.

However, it's possible that them going into the public domain may make it possible for third parties to license the films easier. Criterion doesn't have a problem with properly licensing PD films like Charade, My Man Godfrey, and Carnival of Souls... and even Shout! Factory licensed House on Haunted Hill from WB when they didn't have to.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Lionsgate/Vestron are releasing Maximum Overdrive in October.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Liar Lyre posted:

Lionsgate/Vestron are releasing Maximum Overdrive in October.

oh hell yes

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Im an idiot and I hate steelbooks

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

Im an idiot and I hate steelbooks

Steelbooks are nice because you don't have to worry about storing the cases tightly enough together on the shelf that you get that bubbling effect on the plastic. Obviously it's not a big deal, those cases are worth about a half a cent each but it's still a nice bonus to have a case that won't look like poo poo in 2-3 years.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Standard Blu-ray cases really do age like garbage. I have DVDs from 2002 that look like they're in better shape than a lot of my blurays, and they all just sit on a shelf.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
It was more based around the decision to purchase one from eBay knowing there was a good chance of a re-up today. And it re-upped today. Oh well, I’ll try to sell it in a bit here lol

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Next Olive Signature release is the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Olive doesn't get a lot of attention, but I have a bunch of the Signature releases (The Quiet Man, High Noon, Johnny Guitar, and Macbeth) and they're all fantastic in both a/v and supplements. They're really trying hard to do Criterion-level work with these.

edit: Also, Milestone just announced they're working on a 4K restoration of I Am Cuba for theatrical re-release and later Blu-ray.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 22, 2018

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Techmoan finally did a video on region locked Blu-rays:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yTgZ2_42xw

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Loved the ending

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I like how the entire motivation for that particular video was to have a Hong Kong movie night :3:

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Did I hear him correctly that UHD has no region coding? Is this something that's likely to persist forever?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah they threw it out with the UHD spec. Such a good move. Shame the players still enforce the old codings.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

So it's not even possible for a UHD to be region locked? That's awesome.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Spatulater bro! posted:

So it's not even possible for a UHD to be region locked? That's awesome.
Aw gently caress. The next gen vidjas better all do 4kUHD drives because I really don't want to loving but a dedicated player for that poo poo.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

FilthyImp posted:

Aw gently caress. The next gen vidjas better all do 4kUHD drives because I really don't want to loving but a dedicated player for that poo poo.

I rarely use it for games, but the XBox One S is a really good UHD player. And it usually under 200 a lot of times so it not that pricey either.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FilthyImp posted:

Considering Microsoft is eyeing making Xbones a subscription, good luck!

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Egbert Souse posted:

edit: Also, Milestone just announced they're working on a 4K restoration of I Am Cuba for theatrical re-release and later Blu-ray.

I'm going to attempt to get tickets to this when the general sale opens up but I'm not hopeful...drat you NYFF.

I am slightly more hopeful that at least one theater picks it up between Metrograph, Film Forum, Quad and the Roxy..

Yo Soy Cuba in 4k!! I'm going to die.

e: I wish they'd talk about how it's being shown..Is it a print? 4k digital projection?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Does that thing with pressing the top menu button to get past the region encoding always work or is that some quirk on only some and/region 2 players?

Iron Crowned posted:

Considering Microsoft is eyeing making Xbones a subscription, good luck!

The console itself or just the blu-ray player?

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Is there still a home theater a/v thread on these dead, gay forums? I can’t find one.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rirse posted:

I rarely use it for games, but the XBox One S is a really good UHD player. And it usually under 200 a lot of times so it not that pricey either.

A remote is essential because using the controller for movie playback if you need to pause every so often is a headache. Also mine had issues playing a few Bluray/UHDs I have, and now the drat thing won't turn on at all. I don't use it to play games either, but I have the EA subscription thing cos it's cheap and I want to play some NHL!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

EL BROMANCE posted:

A remote is essential because using the controller for movie playback if you need to pause every so often is a headache. Also mine had issues playing a few Bluray/UHDs I have, and now the drat thing won't turn on at all. I don't use it to play games either, but I have the EA subscription thing cos it's cheap and I want to play some NHL!

Absolutely get a remote. I got this remote that is pretty nice.

https://www.amazon.com/Talon-Media-Remote-Control-Blu-ray-Streaming/dp/B01GOK34SO

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I just preordered the 88 Films limited edition release of Eyeball. I'm more excited than I probably should be.

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 23, 2018

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Whoa, amazon.ca has Arrow's LE of Last House on the Left for $16.39 CDN, which comes to about $13.00 USD. I jumped on it. Might be a mistake. https://www.amazon.ca/Last-House-Left-Blu-ray/dp/B07B16NSDC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1535054279&sr=8-1&keywords=last+house+on+the+left

e: poo poo, it shot up to $54.99 CDN right after I posted this. :shrug: I hope my order doesn't get cancelled.

ee: Looks like the $54.99 one is a different seller. Amazon.ca still has it at $16.62 CDN https://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/B07B16NSDC/ref=tmm_blu_new_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=1535054279&sr=8-1

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 23, 2018

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I have that Eyeball disc already, it's $19.99 at Diabolik, and is amazing and essential. Also the disc is also really heavy, feels like an Arrow or maybe Criterion release. It's region free, if I recall correctly. I'm pretty sure I didn't have to switch my region to watch it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

CPL593H posted:

Does that thing with pressing the top menu button to get past the region encoding always work or is that some quirk on only some and/region 2 players?

The console itself or just the blu-ray player?

I think Iron Crowned is referring to rumors that eventually they'll release a streaming only Xbox. Which, I don't see happening for over a decade. Game streaming isn't going to be there for a very long time.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Spatulater bro! posted:

Whoa, amazon.ca has Arrow's LE of Last House on the Left for $16.39 CDN, which comes to about $13.00 USD. I jumped on it. Might be a mistake. https://www.amazon.ca/Last-House-Left-Blu-ray/dp/B07B16NSDC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1535054279&sr=8-1&keywords=last+house+on+the+left

e: poo poo, it shot up to $54.99 CDN right after I posted this. :shrug: I hope my order doesn't get cancelled.

I just checked and they had it for $16.62 so I ordered it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I just checked and they had it for $16.62 so I ordered it.

Hey you're right! If you look at all the seller's, it's still available from Amazon for cheap. Currently $16.62 CDN https://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/B07B16NSDC/ref=tmm_blu_new_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=1535054279&sr=8-1

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think Iron Crowned is referring to rumors that eventually they'll release a streaming only Xbox. Which, I don't see happening for over a decade. Game streaming isn't going to be there for a very long time.

He's talking about the rumors that Microsoft is going to start offering Xboxes, with Live and Game Pass included, on 24 month contracts, cell phone style.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Monday_ posted:

He's talking about the rumors that Microsoft is going to start offering Xboxes, with Live and Game Pass included, on 24 month contracts, cell phone style.

I still have no idea what Game Pass is and why it's supposedly better than just having Xbox Live.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s their service that gives you a back catalog of games, and also some new titles I think too. It always sounded pretty neat.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

CPL593H posted:

I still have no idea what Game Pass is and why it's supposedly better than just having Xbox Live.

Basically a Netflix for older Xbox titles to my understanding; does it stream them like PS Now or do you have to download the whole drat thing?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I, Butthole posted:

Basically a Netflix for older Xbox titles to my understanding; does it stream them like PS Now or do you have to download the whole drat thing?

The latter.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Monday_ posted:

Ah. I remember when they did something similar by selling people extremely cheap Xbox 360s (the useless 4gb models) and then locking them into a 2 year monthly payment for Xbox Live.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Spatulater bro! posted:

I just preordered the 88 Films limited edition release of Eyeball. I'm more excited than I probably should be.

Help a friend out with a link

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

feedmyleg posted:

Help a friend out with a link

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eyeball-FO...yeball+88+films

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Does anyone have one of those spinning media towers? The shelf I keep my movies in is about full and I don't feel like using more wall space in my apartment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Twilight Time's Gloria looks like a hell of an upgrade: DVD Beaver