Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

GrandpaPants posted:

You don't even need the game, to be honest. I imagine most people bought that one game with the baby-sized Cthulhu (to clarify: I mean a Cthulhu that is the size of an actual human baby) for the "mini."

What Caitlin Kiernan would you/the thread recommend? I know, don't judge a book by its cover, but goddamn a lot of the covers for her books are terrible and look like supernatural romance.

Try Agents of Dreamland first, then maybe Dear Sweet Filthy World, and then go back in time from there if you like them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Lovecraft is the only problematic author I enjoy because he's been dead like a billion years and I don't have to feel like I'm supporting him or his views by reading his work.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

chernobyl kinsman posted:

god forbid horror writers attempt something innovative instead of rehashing cthulhu for the 7000th time

I will fite u

a foolish pianist posted:

Try Agents of Dreamland first, then maybe Dear Sweet Filthy World, and then go back in time from there if you like them.

Yeah, do this

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

What if it was difficult to understand the world is a terrifying premise worthy of a century of retreading

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

A friend of mine is currently reading house of leaves and it reminded me how i quitel iked the good bit of house of leaves. What should i read, The General Horror Thread?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

What if it was called house of jeeves and was an epic post modern reinterpretation of the pg wodehouse mythos and lore

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

A human heart posted:

What if it was called house of jeeves and was an epic post modern reinterpretation of the pg wodehouse mythos and lore

You joke but that would be an incredible thing to read.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Moore’s “What Ho!, Gods of the Abyss,” is out there, should it help quench that thirst.

Tho’ upon rereading it seems like Moore doesn’t like Wodehouse nor his characters.

PONEYBOY fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Aug 22, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

andelazo posted:

Moore’s “What Ho!, Gods of the Abyss,” is out there, should it help quench that thirst.

Tho’ upon rereading it seems like Moore doesn’t like Wodehouse nor his characters.

Yeah, it's a little too sour for me to recommend to my Wodehouse-loving friend. That's Alan Moore, though, I'm hardly surprised.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I finished The Fisherman yesterday and overall I really liked it. Parts of the first half were not great, especially some of the long-winded stories, but once the action picks up I thought it was really cool.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Solitair posted:

I'm a big fan of Emrys's "The Litany of Earth," but I haven't gotten around to her other fiction or nonfiction articles yet.
Litany of Earth is amazing, but Winter Tide really drags on and adds nothing to the idea; instead of building upon it, it rehashes the concept in much less interesting ways. Haven't read the second one yet.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

CestMoi posted:

A friend of mine is currently reading house of leaves and it reminded me how i quitel iked the good bit of house of leaves. What should i read, The General Horror Thread?

the raw shark texts by steven hall

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Ok

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I really want to read House of Leaves again but,
a) The book is the size of a small van
b) I only want to read the Navidson Records part

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

This glorified picture book is too drat heavy!

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
Well, it's not Infinite Jest.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

moths posted:

It's also part of why I'm hesitant to read TED Kline's The Ceremonies. I loved the short story, but I'm not sure if longform will do it any favors.

Where can I read the short story? Googling just gives the me the book

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

the_american_dream posted:

The short story is "The Events at Poroth Farm."

Edit: Just to be clear, there's no actual short story version of The Ceremonies; Klein took the ideas he played with in "The Events at Poroth Farm" and expanded it to novel length in a different setting with different characters and whatnot. It's a thematic connection, not a plot connection.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 24, 2018

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IS MY ILLEGITIMATE FATHER!!!

DrVenkman posted:

I think the inclusion of Junji Ito and Joe R Lansdale make that a pretty good list though. THE NIGHT THEY MISSED THE HORROR SHOW is ugly in the best way.

I re-read The Night They Missed The Horror Show at least once a year. It just packs such a punch. I love it.

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IS MY ILLEGITIMATE FATHER!!!

the_american_dream posted:

55 cents right now. You have no excuse.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

TOOT BOOT posted:

Lovecraft is the only problematic author I enjoy because he's been dead like a billion years and I don't have to feel like I'm supporting him or his views by reading his work.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
The only free time I have to read is on the bus to and from my jobs. I'm not lugging giant tomes around with me. Hahah.

I guess my point is I want an abridged version of House of Leaves and while we're at it, I also want to re-read IT and wouldn't mind if that came in two parts.

Could always get the superglue and a box cutter out when I get home, I guess.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

You could get ebooks.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Saying that Lovecraft "was more racist than his time" really undersells how racist his time actually was.

Here's a question: I have a clear memory of reading a story about 20 years ago. Someone had an original print of The Cabinet of Dr Caligari, and in the story it was the film itself that supernaturally made people go crazy and riot (instead of popular anti-German sentiment that caused the actual unrest.) Does anyone know what that's from? It may have been a Year's Best New Horror anthology but I can't figure out which one.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Drunken Baker posted:

The only free time I have to read is on the bus to and from my jobs. I'm not lugging giant tomes around with me. Hahah.

I guess my point is I want an abridged version of House of Leaves and while we're at it, I also want to re-read IT and wouldn't mind if that came in two parts.

Could always get the superglue and a box cutter out when I get home, I guess.

u got a phone right

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i probably read a new book every few days because i can just read em on my phone

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
It does me eyes in. I've only read a couple of e-books that I couldn't get in paperback like The Cypher.

Plus I'm a wanker and like filling me bookshelves.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
oi bruv the brightness must leave yer peepers right knackered

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I like filling bookshelves more than the majority of posters here but I still get ebooks because it's sometimes inconvenient to haul books around.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Drunken Baker posted:

I really want to read House of Leaves again but,
a) The book is the size of a small van
b) I only want to read the Navidson Records part

I finally finished it and yeah, that's the only part I would ever re-visit.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
once i did a huge poo and it grew six dicks and waved them at me, oOOoooOOOO ps: i'm a ghost. or am i?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

What's the thread opinion on Rosemary's Baby? I just finished it a few days ago and I was pretty unimpressed. I haven't seen the movie (which I've been led to believe is sort of a better incarnation of the story than the book) but knew the "twist" so a lot of the lead-up to it in the book was kind of uninteresting. It was a quick read, at least, but didn't do anything that unique. I guess maybe this is one of those "classics" of the genre that is still touted today mostly on name recognition and the fact that at the time of publishing it was really unique but has since been usurped by other books it inspired.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

What are some good horror novels that deal with institutions? I'm thinking of schools, corporations, or other organizations with strict hierarchies and rules. Authority from the Area X trilogy would count, as would the darker parts of Kafka's The Trial. I'm also looking to check out Andres Barba's Such Small Hands, which is about a girl's orphanage.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

pospysyl posted:

What are some good horror novels that deal with institutions? I'm thinking of schools, corporations, or other organizations with strict hierarchies and rules. Authority from the Area X trilogy would count, as would the darker parts of Kafka's The Trial. I'm also looking to check out Andres Barba's Such Small Hands, which is about a girl's orphanage.

Do you specifically mean institutions not counting the military or clandestine services?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Are there any good horror books/stories with about people forced into a survival-of-the-fittest/kill-or-be-killed anarchy game?

Obvious choices are Battle Royale, Lord of the Flies, and films like The Belko Experiment.

MockingQuantum posted:

What's the thread opinion on Rosemary's Baby? I just finished it a few days ago and I was pretty unimpressed. I haven't seen the movie

I've only seen the film, but I consider it essential watching for horror fans, despite Polanski being a rapist.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Skyscraper posted:

Do you specifically mean institutions not counting the military or clandestine services?

Good question! No, I'm not really interested in military or espionage horror.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

pospysyl posted:

Good question! No, I'm not really interested in military or espionage horror.

Well, would you consider the work sites and town management in Thomas Ligotti's stories to be this kind of thing?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

pospysyl posted:

thomas ligotti's my work is not yet done

grobbo
May 29, 2014

pospysyl posted:

I don't think he ever quite strays into horror, but since you mentioned Kafka - Kobo Abe's books often feature a hapless hero trying to navigate a mysterious institution with its own set of bizarre and unbreakable rules (The Woman In The Dunes, but also Secret Rendezvous and Kangaroo Notebook)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

grobbo posted:

I don't think he ever quite strays into horror, but since you mentioned Kafka - Kobo Abe's books often feature a hapless hero trying to navigate a mysterious institution with its own set of bizarre and unbreakable rules (The Woman In The Dunes, but also Secret Rendezvous and Kangaroo Notebook)

Has a translation of Rope come out since the last time I checked?