Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Soul Calibur Team needs to hurry up and announce Cervantes already. It's super obvious he's in due to all of the promotional material he's popped up in, and now IGN found a create-a-dude NPC using his fighting style when they got to play the gamescom demo. It's going to get more annoying as we wind down these last 5 reveals if they save Cervantes for last lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I want to see all of Cervantes’ inevitably stupid cheap poo poo right now so that I can prepare my body and mind to hate playing against him in October.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

SC2 Xianghua wants a word with you about the "cheap" thing

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Fear not, I’m a big Xianghua hater too.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I heard Cervantes is part of the double-secret platinum season pass

edit: only available at gamestop power to the players

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

I want to see all of Cervantes’ inevitably stupid cheap poo poo right now so that I can prepare my body and mind to hate playing against him in October.

literally bringing a gun to a knife fight

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

exquisite tea posted:

Fear not, I’m a big Xianghua hater too.

I was once killed by crybaby

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
im assuming cervantes is dlc because why would they announce dlc chars before main cast for an unreleased game

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Babe Magnet posted:

A proud student of the Bushido Blade school of character design.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Zand posted:

im assuming cervantes is dlc because why would they announce dlc chars before main cast for an unreleased game

We pretty much know all the original SC cast is returning and with Tira they wanted to entice on the fence players who just got out of their seventh period chemistry class and need a game to unwind with in between taking pictures of their dick in the bathroom mirror.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Still need Rock and Aeon and I'm good to go

Zand posted:

Bamco is a mysterious beast

I don't think he'll be DLC as his moveset is already in the gamescom demo, and plus his face is plastered all over the released videos in background details and story cutscenes. They're just being coy with him for some reason lol

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 23, 2018

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Babe Magnet posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PePpqUzvs0Q&t=51s

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
I'm not buying sc6 unless lizardman is in the game

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lizardman is one of the crate-a-dude races, it's likely that he's in otherwise that would be pretty weird lol

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Zand posted:

They had to announce a pre-order bonus right around now but they didn't want to repeat the Eliza situation so they made sure to clarify she was a regular DLC character and that just made things worse.

Why they couldn't offer dressup items or Lizardman wall scrolls or whatever is beyond me.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

announcing a dlc character this early was stupid as hell and i don't know what kind of reaction they were expecting. but also i don't give a poo poo because i've had the game pre-ordered for months and i was already expecting to get the season pass so it doesn't make a difference to me

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Zand posted:

zand, you of all posters should not be this naive

Also Namco has confirmed that there's still more non-DLC base roster characters to be announced. So yes, they are that dumb.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
the worst part about MvCI tanking is that both parties (Marvel Games and Capcom) will learn all the wrong lessions

instead of "Maybe we shouldn't Half rear end on our Fighting Game releases!" theyre thinking "hurr durr clearly you just hate it because its not 3v3!1!1!11:downs:"

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You say that like they're gonna make another one.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Race Realists posted:

instead of "Maybe we shouldn't Half rear end on our Fighting Game releases!" theyre thinking "hurr durr clearly you just hate it because its not 3v3!1!1!11:downs:"

a large reason why many people don't like mvci is because it deliberately doesn't play like other games in the series and the new/changed mechanics are mostly fundamentally stupid ideas. giving the game more dev time would mean it would have more characters and probably less ugly ones, but it would still be crap because poo poo like the awful way combo scaling works or the "we balanced the game around streamer complaints" projectile reflect system are just plain dumb

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
For a studio that makes some of the most expansive and comprehensive single player fighting game content, NRS sure seems intent on making sure their difficulty curve is like barreling off a cliff. And it seems like their ongoing multiverse content in Injustice 2 is 90% catered to the top 1% skill level. I'm sure it doesn't help that easy probably instills a ton of bad habits but going from 2 star spice to 3 star spice is kind of insane, especially for the boss version of Brainiac, who liberally uses unpredictable and nearly unblockable attacks that can combo for half your health in like .2 seconds.

I'm sure this is fun for somebody but I don't think it's even possible for my brain to function this quickly, and apparently NRS is the "slow fighting game studio." Lol I will suck in perpetuity.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
http://kayane.fr/2018/08/23/kayane-gamescom-2018-interview-with-motohiro-okubo-producer-on-soul-calibur-vi/

quote:

Kayane : First let’s talk about Tira. She’s been announced as a DLC character, yet the full roster hasn’t been entirely revealed.

Motohiro Okubo : I apologize for the unconventionnal announcement. In terms of the main roster for launch, there aren’t many characters left, but there will be announcements soon enough.

K. : Why did you decide to announce a DLC character now ?

M.O. : About Tira, having her in Soul Calibur VI needed some pretty complicated adjustments, so much so that she nearly didn’t make the cut. After we had announced Soul Calibur VI, a lot of fans asked for Tira, so I went to see the development team and asked them to put her in the game, so that’s why she isn’t in the main roster and is DLC.

Having her as part of the Season Pass and unlocked Day One was the result of a lot of internal discussion and debate within the company. As for the timing of the reveal, the preorders for the Season Pass started yesterday and since she’s a Season Pass bonus, we had to make both announcements at the same time.

Opinions do differ wildly about these announcements. I personnally think we should’ve been more careful about the way we have announced all this.

K. : I see. So… Can we expect characters from Soul Calibur V, or characters like Setsuka who don’t fit into Soul Calibur VI’s story to be included in the Season Pass like Tira ?

M.O. : Maybe the Season Pass will come with a guest character ? Maybe. We don’t know who.

K. : One guest character and other old Soul Calibur characters ?

M.O. : We don’t know if we have more guest characters yet. It’s all in talks right now. Still, it’s possible that within the Season Pass we’ll have characters from IV or V. They might not fit the same time frame from the game’s story, but it’s possible.

K. : How many characters will there be in the Season Pass ?

M.O. : Including Tira, there will be six pieces of DLC. Four characters (incuding Tira) and two customization item packs for character creation.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Zand posted:

Race Realists posted:

the worst part about MvCI tanking is that both parties (Marvel Games and Capcom) will learn all the wrong lessions

I’m reminded that mvci was already a thing that came and went like once a month and it always makes me lol

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

You say that like they're gonna make another one.

they will in my heart

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m liking DBFZ more every time I approach it competently but I still don’t think I get or possibly like 3v3. It doesn’t make sense to my brain.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Marvel Games already learned their lesson: don't work with Capcom's fighting game studios. I'm sure the upcoming Spider-Man game will be a bigger success than MVCI. That being said it's still mindblowing how bad Capcom hosed up a sureshot like MVC while management went full bore with MonHun, RE2, DMCV, and Mega Man 11. It's like the fighting game division was asleep at the wheel and nobody gave enough of a poo poo to wake them up.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

DLC Inc posted:

Marvel Games already learned their lesson: don't work with Capcom's fighting game studios. I'm sure the upcoming Spider-Man game will be a bigger success than MVCI. That being said it's still mindblowing how bad Capcom hosed up a sureshot like MVC while management went full bore with MonHun, RE2, DMCV, and Mega Man 11. It's like the fighting game division was asleep at the wheel and nobody gave enough of a poo poo to wake them up.

This is mostly based on speculation and second hand information, but I believe most of the internal driving force behind Capcom's fighting games all comes out of Capcom USA these days. In fact, I believe the Street Fighter license is owned by Capcom USA and not Capcom Japan if I'm remembering correctly.

And given all of the rumors/hearsay about how Capcom USA is treated like a red-headed step child, I wouldn't be surprised if MVCI was a project that was dead from the get go because of budgetary/management issues.

I feel like MVCI and KOF are both great examples of how sacrificing presentation for gameplay/content is not a worthy tradeoff, even for the most hardcore consumer. In KOF's case, I think people were more forgiving as SNK was rising from the dead and people were happy to get anything at that point. But for Capcom it was very clear they had the capability to make a better game and there was deliberate choice to not give the game the resources it needed to be a success.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My understanding is that working with Disney is also a nightmare, so you have the shell of capcom's fighting game division working with a small budget and trying to cater to a global cultural hegemony that wants 100% creative control over your product. It was doomed from the start

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

In Training posted:

My understanding is that working with Disney is also a nightmare, so you have the shell of capcom's fighting game division working with a small budget and trying to cater to a global cultural hegemony that wants 100% creative control over your product. It was doomed from the start

Yeah, including sometimes shooting their own products in the foot because the 'cinematic universe' is more important than anything so they want to push these characters but not those characters.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
sfv killed mike ross
mvci killed combofiend
who will be the next to fall before capcom

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Zand posted:

sfv killed mike ross
mvci killed combofiend

Capcom.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Inshallah

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Zand posted:

sfv killed mike ross
mvci killed combofiend

Well right now it's that racist dude from Red Bull, so when Capcom throws him to the wolves over something he had no control, no one's going to care.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

DrNutt posted:

For a studio that makes some of the most expansive and comprehensive single player fighting game content, NRS sure seems intent on making sure their difficulty curve is like barreling off a cliff. And it seems like their ongoing multiverse content in Injustice 2 is 90% catered to the top 1% skill level. I'm sure it doesn't help that easy probably instills a ton of bad habits but going from 2 star spice to 3 star spice is kind of insane, especially for the boss version of Brainiac, who liberally uses unpredictable and nearly unblockable attacks that can combo for half your health in like .2 seconds.

I'm sure this is fun for somebody but I don't think it's even possible for my brain to function this quickly, and apparently NRS is the "slow fighting game studio." Lol I will suck in perpetuity.

Single player in fighting games is not fun because the only way to play against even remotely difficult AI in fighting games is to cheese it as hard as possible and pray that it doesn't decide to take half your life bar off a stray hit. You definitely get used to the pace after some time though.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Arzachel posted:

Single player in fighting games is not fun because the only way to play against even remotely difficult AI in fighting games is to cheese it as hard as possible and pray that it doesn't decide to take half your life bar off a stray hit. You definitely get used to the pace after some time though.

I remember Killer Instinct that added something like shadow characters, and people were raving how it felt like actually playing against another human.

Did any of that tech make it's way to any other game? I'm assuming not, because it seems like every QOL improvement a non-Japanese developer makes to the genre gets ignored by everyone except Harada.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Me. Pay me capcom I'll eat the bullet

edit: ah drat I missed the new page and I don't wanna go back and quote that on my phone

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

FanaticalMilk posted:

I remember Killer Instinct that added something like shadow characters, and people were raving how it felt like actually playing against another human.

Did any of that tech make it's way to any other game? I'm assuming not, because it seems like every QOL improvement a non-Japanese developer makes to the genre gets ignored by everyone except Harada.

I don't know if they were actually good but VF4 had a thing where you could train an AI

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Zand posted:

sfv killed mike ross
mvci killed combofiend

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
mike's look improved if anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Arzachel posted:

Aside from making me feel lovely it does really make me appreciate the reaction times and ability to improvise that top tier skill players must have. I played a couple ranked matches and though I assume I was playing dudes at the bottom of the barrel with me it wasn't anything like playing against even the medium difficulty (more unpredictable but also much slower).