Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart-powered cars
Apr 19, 2001

I WENT VIRAL AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY AVATAR

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

thats ok my car is 15 years old and i will never buy a new one and the only thing i connect it to is my own butt

i powered my old car with farts too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Xealous posted:

i powered my old car with farts too

:gas:

Xealous posted:

tesla basically runs their entire business like a just in time compiler only they don't treat warnings or errors as failures. most groups in the company don't cross-communicate so there's a lot of duplication of effort.

i once got pulled into a meeting because a car burned down when it was attached to a supercharger and we didn't get a log out of the car. normally under some emergency circumstances the car will try to upload a log when it thinks poo poo has gone really badly, but in this particular case it was far enough away from a tower it had half 3G connection and had to upload a 30MB log via HTTPS POST. the car burned down before it even got to 10MB and the system was only designed for exponential backoff retries, not resumption of in-progress. elon was calm about it, but we had to justify why we never had time to address it - maybe it was because we were all busy making unsafe features work?

the ol' post mortem trick

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
technology is going to kill us all lol

fart-powered cars
Apr 19, 2001

for all the poo poo that went down at tesla, there were some positive aspects. everyone i worked with really cared about physical safety and we put a lot of effort into making sure the engineering was sound so nobody got hurt. if you subtract autopilot, and that's a big if, the car is generally well designed minus the fit and finish issues + interior, but i'd argue that's never been tesla's strong point anyway. the cars are fast, the 2013-2014 model s lines were really good, solid, basic cars. my last straw was the summon feature - i strongly believe a car you are not in, backing out on its own from a parking space with the current sensors is super dangerous.

i was making jokes with the tesla expats when ol' musky launched his roadster into space that you could see the gaps in the fit and finish without a telescope

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

redleader posted:

technology is going to kill us all lol

plz no black mirror spoilers

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Xealous posted:

for all the poo poo that went down at tesla, there were some positive aspects. everyone i worked with really cared about physical safety and we put a lot of effort into making sure the engineering was sound so nobody got hurt. if you subtract autopilot, and that's a big if, the car is generally well designed minus

what about this part:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
lmao $100k cars should not have issues with fit and finish that haven't been since the death of british leyland

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

btw thanks for posting these. they're amazing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

dick levick gives elon a sloppy beej

quote:

Here’s the bottom line: Don’t bet against Elon Musk. He’s an unabashed genius. And geniuses need time and (forgive the pun) space to carry out their vision.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

infernal machines posted:

what about this part:

how are electronic doors any better than just a regular ol' handle

fart-powered cars
Apr 19, 2001

what about this part:

i always carry a window buster with me no matter the car i drive, but i see your point. i won't defend everything they do anyway - that seems legit to me. so minus 1

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
thanks xealous

thlus

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Roosevelt posted:

how are electronic doors any better than just a regular ol' handle

they're very high tech

fart-powered cars
Apr 19, 2001

redleader posted:

btw thanks for posting these. they're amazing

no problem - if you want to know anything specific (i won't violate any ndas, patents or internal arch) happy to oblige

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Xealous posted:

i always carry a window buster with me no matter the car i drive, but i see your point. i won't defend everything they do anyway - that seems legit to me. so minus 1

no worries. love your posts, i just thought defending tesla on the safety front was a bit strange

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

p.s. the fremont factory is on fire

fart-powered cars
Apr 19, 2001

no worries. love your posts, i just thought defending tesla on the safety front was a bit strange

i think i just got caught up in their collision safety. i dunno, most of us really tried our best to do things the safe way - i advocated for patching out shellshock and heartbleed across the company really hard but a lot of it fell on deaf ears for too long

also advocated for switching out boards with something that had an hsm, doing hab stuff, encrypting the ssl keys the car has (they're on an unencrypted cf card, lol), mtls for everything on the backend, ipsec between components in the car, etc etc. i just gave up and quit

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Xealous posted:

no problem - if you want to know anything specific (i won't violate any ndas, patents or internal arch) happy to oblige

what size bed does grimes's ex-boyfriend sleep in on the factory floor

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

p.s. the fremont factory is on fire

quote:

The fire started on a cardboard pile close to the test track, which is threatening an outside structure and sparked a grass fire, according to the Fremont Fire Department.

Lol literal garbage fire. Too on the nose really. This show needs better writers.

fart-powered cars
Apr 19, 2001

Suspicious Dish posted:

what size bed does grimes's ex-boyfriend sleep in on the factory floor

i worked out of deer creek, never really saw him in the factory. rumor is he was stealing an office and sleeping on a couch

*edit - i did see John McCain in deer creek once, that was a trip. showed him some of the stuff we were working on

fart-powered cars fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 24, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

mrmcd posted:

Lol literal garbage fire. Too on the nose really. This show needs better writers.

it's unbelievable how much reality has been stranger than fiction the last few years

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Xealous posted:

i worked out of deer creek, never really saw him in the factory. rumor is he was stealing an office and sleeping on a couch

haha, yes

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
i still like the tesla story where the computers crash in the middle of a demo with david pogue and the car just dies on the side of the highway

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Xealous posted:

What would describe as being the most seriously hosed up thing you saw happen there? Define hosed up any way you want to.

fart-powered cars
Apr 19, 2001

just remembered some bits of trivia

* they took away our free snacks in deer creek and replaced them with lovely vendors
* said vendors food poisoned people often enough osha or whatever the body is shut them down
* people were so mad about the free cereal being gone they'd intra-office snail mail bowls of cereal from the factory and post pictures in slack
* deer creek's parking got so bad (too many people, not enough space) they hired permanent valets
* they were cited for the shitshow parking for fire safety violations (unconfirmed, but i believe it)
* elon publicly being a shitbag to trans people
* the first time we turned on real time telemetry for the dev fleet we caught somebody going 130mph over the san mateo bridge
* it networking so bad the company had permanent 5~8% consistent packet loss between various places (like, next rack)
* firmware git repo so large they had to mirror it (something like 2TB)

fart-powered cars
Apr 19, 2001

Source4Leko posted:

What would describe as being the most seriously hosed up thing you saw happen there? Define hosed up any way you want to.

internal politics. the most toxic culture i have ever encountered, heard about or worked in

i swear they selected for the shittiest people in silicon valley and made them managers

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/evacuationboy/status/1032793495717732353

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Xealous posted:

for all the poo poo that went down at tesla, there were some positive aspects. everyone i worked with really cared about physical safety and we put a lot of effort into making sure the engineering was sound so nobody got hurt. if you subtract autopilot, and that's a big if, the car is generally well designed minus the fit and finish issues + interior, but i'd argue that's never been tesla's strong point anyway. the cars are fast, the 2013-2014 model s lines were really good, solid, basic cars. my last straw was the summon feature - i strongly believe a car you are not in, backing out on its own from a parking space with the current sensors is super dangerous.

i was making jokes with the tesla expats when ol' musky launched his roadster into space that you could see the gaps in the fit and finish without a telescope

what about the foamy cast aluminum control arms :unsmigghh:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Xealous posted:

* elon publicly being a shitbag to trans people

christ

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Xealous posted:

Can you confirm/deny

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fart-powered cars
Apr 19, 2001

Peeny Cheez posted:

Can you confirm/deny

no tailpipe but i wouldn't be surprised if he attempted the charging port

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/rajmathai/status/1032796272476868609

e: :tesla:

fart-powered cars
Apr 19, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

lmao $100k cars should not have issues with fit and finish that haven't been since the death of british leyland

depending on when and what features you got (and if you got a marketing used car) they could go as low at $40k after incentives - but totally agree with you. fit/finish issues have been a thorn in their side forever

the touchscreen is kind of a safety issue in that you have to look at it to touch it, stealing focus. tactile buttons for some functions would have been better

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Lol is that "the tent"?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's "a" tent, but not that tent, no

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Another safety issue at Tesla is that of being swatted by your CEO for pointing out that resin is being injected into the holes of unsafe lithium batteries and shipped into a bunch of customers' cars

fart-powered cars
Apr 19, 2001

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Another safety issue at Tesla is that of being swatted by your CEO for pointing out that resin is being injected into the holes of unsafe lithium batteries and shipped into a bunch of customers' cars

some friends of mine worked with the guy, the jury is still out on that one. ol' musky isn't totally paranoid - we did catch bad actors doing stuff and they were nailed to the wall. finding a real apt in your network can be some next level poo poo

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

elon shoveling all the substandard cars into the fire to cash in his insurance policy

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

This thread is a blessing and now one of the best things to hit these forums in the last few years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 403 days!
i am fuckin spellbound by this thread rn