Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
As long as the sacred rock remains safely in Goonpa's possession I'm fine with anything.

e: important update/vote in last page!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

Black Robe posted:

There are trees in this general area, that's why we camped here. I call bullshit that there wasn't one within easy hobbling distance, especially given that we're on the bank of a goddamn river.

Actually, there not being trees around is fair play on the game's part. It's actually generally pretty good about visual cues for that: If there's at least one tree visible in your view, it means that there's at least a few trees available for hanging backpacks etcetera, while you need to be in a proper forested area to actually be able to make things out of wood, simulating the need for specific types of lumber or specific thickness of wood etcetera.

Also, no on the torches discussed earlier. Making a decently long burning torch with materials found in the wild is very difficult, and would require a lot of luck. I'm by no means an expert, but the only good material I can think of in the northern hemisphere is fatwood, the core of rotting pine stumps which contain a huge amount of flammable pine resin.

This is actually a neat outdoorsman trick - you can easily check rotting pine stumps for fatwood by kicking them. If there is a hard core, there is fatwood to be harvested which can be used as an excellent fire starting tool, since it will burn quite handily even when wet.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Restore that save.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, let's restore.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Covski posted:

Actually, there not being trees around is fair play on the game's part. It's actually generally pretty good about visual cues for that: If there's at least one tree visible in your view, it means that there's at least a few trees available for hanging backpacks etcetera, while you need to be in a proper forested area to actually be able to make things out of wood, simulating the need for specific types of lumber or specific thickness of wood etcetera.

Also, no on the torches discussed earlier. Making a decently long burning torch with materials found in the wild is very difficult, and would require a lot of luck. I'm by no means an expert, but the only good material I can think of in the northern hemisphere is fatwood, the core of rotting pine stumps which contain a huge amount of flammable pine resin.

This is actually a neat outdoorsman trick - you can easily check rotting pine stumps for fatwood by kicking them. If there is a hard core, there is fatwood to be harvested which can be used as an excellent fire starting tool, since it will burn quite handily even when wet.

Sure, though if you're near pine trees it's not actually too difficult to make a pine resin torch with a fire, a stick, a rock to work on, pine resin and some charcoal. Bit of a bitch to get burning and not exactly fire safety conscious, but it works.

I figure we have to restore this save thing. Call it divine intervention to make up for Gamle Erik intervention.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

The power of our ancestral rock will restore us.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

This is obviously just a bad dream brought about by not eating our required 4000 calories a day. We'll wake up and give a sigh of relief after finding our massive food rations are still with us.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Restore the save, but leave the rock behind. No second chances, it can protect you no longer.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

That seems right, it's done its work, now we should let it fly free. There'll probably be a big musical swell as we stand there staring at it.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cicadalek posted:

Restore the save, but leave the rock behind. No second chances, it can protect you no longer.

Smite the heretic!

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

Cicadalek posted:

Agreed.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

D O
N O T
A B A N D O N
T H E
R O C K

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Goonpa needs to eat the rock. It's got valuable nutrients and he'll gain whatever remains of its power.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Cicadalek posted:

Heretic! Your faith is weak! May you forever forget to pick your stuff up when you leave anywhere!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Restore wins by an unanimous vote! This was the outcome I expected and hoped for in my heart of hearts, but there was no way I wasn't going to show off such an amazing blunder. Next update will probably be on Sunday, assuming I'm not too worn out by all the festivities :toot: Feel free to continue debating whether or not to leave the ancestral rock behind as penance.

I have to say though, hilariously facepalm-inducing moments such as this last episode is one of the reasons I really enjoy this game. A mistake like that could easily been committed by an unaware or sloppy outdoorsman in real life. In fact, it happened to me despite having played the game enough that I should really know better. This is one of the things Wilderness really gets right: A survival situation like this really forces you to develop a routine and stick to it since even small errors can have grave consequences far from civilisation, and the game really gets you into this mindset. Even though it can seem like monotonous busywork, the way the game forces you to stick to a careful routine and not getting sloppy about things that can seem mundane but are in fact critical is a really important lesson, and is strangely immersive to me. I really don't mind the game punishing me for forgetting to boil my water, hang my backpack, or properly shielding myself from the elements or dangerous insects. What does get annoying however are the mistakes that you would never make in real life, such as walking away from your backpack by accident or forgetting to use your knife while making shelter. But hey, it's hard to fault a game this ambitious made in 1986 for not having the most friendly ui ever.

Since it's gonna be a few days until next update, a topic for discussion: Seeing as the river shore has a complete absence of trees, should we consider camping in the forest instead? It's an hour or so walk from the river, and it would further complicate the fire making situation since we'd need a fire both for sleeping and for sitting around fishing, but it would alleviate the risk of being surprised by hungry animals in our sleep. (I'm reasonably certain the whole "getting our entire backpack of food eaten by critters"-thing isn't an issue as long as we sleep next to it, but my confidence is a bit shaken at this point :ohdear:)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Covski posted:

(I'm reasonably certain the whole "getting our entire backpack of food eaten by critters"-thing isn't an issue as long as we sleep next to it, but my confidence is a bit shaken at this point :ohdear:)
I remember from my manual-reading that it was very insistent about hanging the food being a vital part of the camp-making process, so I'd err on the side of caution here. Sleeping in the forest is more time-consuming but we can't afford to take many risks here.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Leave behind the rock. Its power of protection has been spent.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Haifisch posted:

I remember from my manual-reading that it was very insistent about hanging the food being a vital part of the camp-making process, so I'd err on the side of caution here. Sleeping in the forest is more time-consuming but we can't afford to take many risks here.

To be fair, I can run a test and make an executive decision to make camp in the forest if it is indeed a thing, since that would be kind of a ridiculous dick move. (I still don't think it is, if my memories from playing the game as a sloppy kid are correct) Potentially dangerous animals being attracted to the food is absolutely a risk we'd take however, but it's absolutely not guaranteed to happen either.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
from my own sketchy memories, being inside a shelter will protect the backpack, yes. it MAY increase your chances of being ambushed by megafauna during the night though?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I say drop the rock, it's power saved Goonpa from an untimely demise, but now it is drained.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The only way for Goonpa to respectfully cease carrying the ancestral rock (and thus avoid instant divine retribution) is to take a way too long detour and cast it unto the hallowed murky depths of Goatse Lake.

In other words I don't think it's a good idea, in fact quite the opposite.

Flamester
Dec 30, 2012
Keep the rock, it saved us, we can't abandon it now.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Keep the rock, run a test to see if sleeping in the forest is necessary.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Sleep in Forest. Lose the One-Up

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sleep in the forest. Keep the rock. Honor the rock. Become the rock.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

chitoryu12 posted:

Become the rock.

Well, that's next run's concept sorted.

Almanac
Mar 16, 2008

OLD SCHOOL
While Goonpa slept, the rock sat by the small fire and waited. On top of a hot pan sat all of the food. The rock was tired of being carried like some passive object, the fetish of a fat old man who listened to the voices in his head. No, today he would teach the old man a lesson. Today, he would teach them all.

Today, everybody would smell what the rock was cooking.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

D O
N O T
A B A N D O N
T H E
R O C K

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

chitoryu12 posted:

A B A N D O N
T H E
R O C K

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I just want to state for the record that I am genuinely proud that it was my idle 'hey, why is there a rock on the inventory screen' comment right at the beginning that started a cult. :allears:

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Man, there is a war goin on in Goonpa's head over whether to keep or abandon the rock.

Abandon it, by the way

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Better to have died a small boy, than to drop this football rock.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ChaseSP posted:

Leave behind the rock. Its power of protection has been spent.

Yes, we are on our own now.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Actually if you drop the rock it'll become cursed, like a NetHack loadstone. By leaving it for another survivor you ensure their doom and thus are akin to a murderer.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Goonpa's done worse.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Actually if you drop the rock it'll become cursed, like a NetHack loadstone. By leaving it for another survivor you ensure their doom and thus are akin to a murderer.

Well, I'm sold! Drop the rock!

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Drop the rock. It can no longer help us.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

biosterous posted:

Well, I'm sold! Drop the rock!

:stare: Whether we drop the rock or not, I already called the authorities on you.

I just hope I called the ones in the right city. And country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzjUmi3VCGg