Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
You know what, I really liked TLJ. I think people are being a bit childish to think TLJ ruined Star Wars because Luke hosed up as a teacher. But right now my main concern is that JJ Abrams does anything and everything to piss off the guy who wrote this article,

https://www.cosmicbooknews.com/star-wars-rian-johnson-trilogy-canceled

like... the guy doesn't understand that sequels usually don't top their predecessor in box office numbers. Therefore Last Jedi was a "failure" (it wasn't) and Rian Johnson's trilogy is totally getting scrapped (it isn't -- there's no source for that in the article ???). I just want this man to be unhappy and cry and bitch and moan when he sees Episode 9 and it not be a JJ Abrams fan fluff piece...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I am genuinely baffled by people not liking Rogue One. I mean some of the characterization is a little thin and there's some bad pick-up exposition but that movie had a through line and stakes and an ending an everything. It was a real movie!

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Would it shock you to learn that after his experience working with Lucasfilm/Disney, Gareth Edwards decided he was tired of the stress of major studio blockbusters and left Godzilla: King of the Monsters to work on "smaller projects"

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I legit don't know how the middle of rogue one goes. I've tried to watch the movie four times, once in theaters, and every time, the movie puts me to sleep and I wake up when they're on the GoldenEye satellite. Haven't seen solo as the same people see to like it too. I'd rather continue binging the closer.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

porfiria posted:

I am genuinely baffled by people not liking Rogue One. I mean some of the characterization is a little thin and there's some bad pick-up exposition but that movie had a through line and stakes and an ending an everything. It was a real movie!

It was boring. Gareth Edwards is one of my favorite directors but he got hounded by Disney and Tony Gilroy filmed like half of that flick so it’s barely his.

Plus it doesn’t mean anything to me and the only emotional reaction I got was joy seeing Vader murder people for once. But that’s it.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

bushisms.txt posted:

I legit don't know how the middle of rogue one goes. I've tried to watch the movie four times, once in theaters, and every time, the movie puts me to sleep and I wake up when they're on the GoldenEye satellite. Haven't seen solo as the same people see to like it too. I'd rather continue binging the closer.

they put so much fan service into Solo it ruined it

the best parts were the original elements. also let's be honest they could have done a better job casting the lead role.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

porfiria posted:

Saying the characterization is 'thin' is giving it too much credit; Jyn literally goes from dismissing the rebels as being as bad as stormtroopers to giving a pep talk to inspire them between scenes. Cassian is somehow both the ruthless operative and the noble idealist who won't shut up about hope. Bodhi has no motivation or character whatsoever.

Given that, it's a surprisingly decent movie given its characters are either conflicting messes of contradictory motivations or utter cyphers, but that's a fairly major flaw that I can see a lot of people can't move past.

I think it's significant that a lot of people seemed to really feel for the doomed rebels cut down by Vader, each trying to buy a few seconds more to get the plans to safety, but I haven't heard anyone who cared much about the deaths of the actual named characters.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
He is the force, and the force is with him. That's more characterisation than [checks notes] well where do i begin

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

porfiria posted:

High stakes doesn't matter when there's no reason to give a crap about anything that happens in it. When I saw the YouTube Vader fan film that made it into the movie at the end I knew for certain Star Wars just wasn't for me anymore.

Well, actually, that moment happened when I saw Attack of the Clones, but at least that trilogy actually had a voice of its own, so there's that.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
A screenwriter I know (he's optioned some of my books) who's worked on projects for Disney yesterday ended an otherwise completely business-related email with the cryptic tease "By the way, BIG changes coming at Lucasfilm ; )" My reply was "either you're the new head of the story group or George is coming back." :iiam:

And yeah, I know this sounds like "my uncle works at Nintendo"-level stuff, but whatevs. Just thought it was interesting.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Aug 24, 2018

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Preston Waters posted:

You know what, I really liked TLJ. I think people are being a bit childish to think TLJ ruined Star Wars because Luke hosed up as a teacher. But right now my main concern is that JJ Abrams does anything and everything to piss off the guy who wrote this article,

like... the guy doesn't understand that sequels usually don't top their predecessor in box office numbers. Therefore Last Jedi was a "failure" (it wasn't) and Rian Johnson's trilogy is totally getting scrapped (it isn't -- there's no source for that in the article ???). I just want this man to be unhappy and cry and bitch and moan when he sees Episode 9 and it not be a JJ Abrams fan fluff piece...

I liked TLJ as well, but it left me dissappointed at the same time.

Angry Salami posted:

Saying the characterization is 'thin' is giving it too much credit; Jyn literally goes from dismissing the rebels as being as bad as stormtroopers to giving a pep talk to inspire them between scenes. Cassian is somehow both the ruthless operative and the noble idealist who won't shut up about hope. Bodhi has no motivation or character whatsoever.

Given that, it's a surprisingly decent movie given its characters are either conflicting messes of contradictory motivations or utter cyphers, but that's a fairly major flaw that I can see a lot of people can't move past.

I think it's significant that a lot of people seemed to really feel for the doomed rebels cut down by Vader, each trying to buy a few seconds more to get the plans to safety, but I haven't heard anyone who cared much about the deaths of the actual named characters.

I haven't rewatched it yet. But I'll do you one better. Who the hell was Cassian again?

You have:
-Jyn (who's name I remembered because everyone kept yelling it)
-Mustache man.
-Mind raped dude who isn't braindead.
-Donnie Yen.
-Guy with gun.
-K
-Krennic

That was the list I left the theater with.
Characterization is so thin I couldn't remember the majority of the names from the movie after it was over.
I now know some of the names. Thanks to the toys I now know Cassian is mustache man.

Despite that, I liked it. But then again I also like the Transformers movies.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I didn't even remember that Cassian had a moustache. Then I realised I was mixing him up with the skinny guy who fixed the shuttle's radio or whatever.

Basically, my memories of R1 are Mads Mikkelson, CGI Peter Cushing and the Death Star looking like a giant eye in the sky just before it fired. And Forrest Whitaker had robot legs, I think? drat, it really did not stick in my mind.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Preston Waters posted:

That Episode IX is considered "DOA" is news to me but obviously I've made made my views on the matter clear.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Wheat Loaf posted:

That Episode IX is considered "DOA" is news to me but obviously I've made made my views on the matter clear.

pretty sure that dude wrote a irl fanfic article blended with fantasy elements

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yes

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Darth TNT posted:

I haven't rewatched it yet. But I'll do you one better. Who the hell was Cassian again?

I only knew the names because I looked them up. And I had to look them up because I wasn't sure if people would know who I meant if I said "Spy guy" and "Pilot guy" because... they're all kinda spys? And everyone in Star Wars pilots things?

(Spy guy had a mustache? I have no memory of that...)

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Everyone was making me doubt what was real. But he has a mustache. Now I can prove I was paying attention during the movie.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
People that say they like Star Wars but don't actually like Star Wars are total bummers.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
diego luna brings a lot of character to cassian's role but a weakness of the R1 script is definitely in the character department

i'd love to have seen cassian andor in the ST, though. he's a more intriguing concept than any of the big three ST characters.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Preston Waters posted:

they put so much fan service into Solo it ruined it

the best parts were the original elements. also let's be honest they could have done a better job casting the lead role.

It felt like a script someone on reddit would write and be all like "Check out my Solo prequel script I made in like 3 days! Lando! Falcon! Solo's Gun! Kessel Run! Darth Maul! Shooting first!". Except that slop was from THE large movie studio. They should know better. I still enjoyed it because I'm a dirty, dirty slut.

Angry Salami posted:

Bodhi has no motivation or character whatsoever.

He's the pilot. :downs:
He also smiles at grenades instead of running from them. :saddowns:

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Darth TNT posted:

Everyone was making me doubt what was real. But he has a mustache. Now I can prove I was paying attention during the movie.

thats like the edge of pikachus tail. Some mandela effect poo poo

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Darth TNT posted:

I still can't get over how soft he looks. This is the least intimidating man in existence. Look at those big wet eyes and quivering upper lip.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION

Angry Salami posted:

Jyn, who was literally raised by rebels, watches both her father and father-figure die fighting the Empire before making that speech. It turns out she was right about the Alliance, the leaders don't listen to her or care what she has to say. Her development is choosing to fight the Empire anyway. Cassian is ruthless because he's an idealist and his arc is about resolving the tension between those things, which he does by rejecting the decision made by the Alliance leaders. Bodhi was a native to Jeddah which was being occupied by the Empire and there was a nod to him having some sort of personal relationship with Galen. K-2 was loyal to Cassian for freeing him. Baze and Chirrut watch their home destroyed. Galen was influenced by his wife Lyra. Krennic was ambitious. Ect.

There's not a ton of backstory for any of them but their motivations are all apparent and not contradictory at all.

The only two characters who don't have their motivations made explicit are Lyra Erso and Saw. Lyra is a minor character and Saw, who is a friend of Lyra, is so well characterized as a rebel Vader that it's totally forgivable.

Sinding Johansson fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 24, 2018

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
It seems like the salient criticism I'm seeing over and over is that the heroes of R1 aren't "likeable"-----they don't make funny faces or quip nearly enough---therefore it's incomprehensible when they do things merely because they are the right thing to do.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Yeah the characters in Rogue One ARE thin but there's a difference between thin and being all over the place or undefined. Rogue One's characters are fine.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Was Robot Legs gonna slow them down or something, because when he refused to come with them it came across as just kind of "Nah, I wanna die", and everyone was fine with that.

He had lost the will to live... :therapy:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

sassassin posted:

I still can't get over how soft he looks. This is the least intimidating man in existence. Look at those big wet eyes and quivering upper lip.

Yes. That's the point.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION

Mooey Cow posted:

Was Robot Legs gonna slow them down or something, because when he refused to come with them it came across as just kind of "Nah, I wanna die", and everyone was fine with that.

He had lost the will to live... :therapy:

He was the leader of a rebel faction that was in the process of being obliterated, it wasn't suicide so much as taking responsibility ie, 'the captain is the last one off the ship'.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Jeddah was also itself a sacred city, and Saw had dedicated the last several years to liberating it from the Empire (or at least making them pay to hold it). It's kinda like wondering why a devout man might lose the will to go on if Jerusalem was nuked into a crater.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Hey has anyone pointed out how Jeddah sounds like Jedi??? :imunfunny:

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Technically, Jeddah is a moon. A moon..... called Jeddah.

Gareth, you card.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

DrNutt posted:

Hey has anyone pointed out how Jeddah sounds like Jedi??? :imunfunny:

Sounds kinda like the Saudi Arabian city Jeddah to me :thunk:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Harime Nui posted:

Jeddah was also itself a sacred city, and Saw had dedicated the last several years to liberating it from the Empire (or at least making them pay to hold it). It's kinda like wondering why a devout man might lose the will to go on if Jerusalem was nuked into a crater.

he had also sacrificed his body, mind and ideals in the hopes of stopping the empire -- and he didn't achieve any sort of victory or slow them down at all. i'd probably kill myself, too.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

he had also sacrificed his body, mind and ideals in the hopes of stopping the empire -- and he didn't achieve any sort of victory or slow them down at all. i'd probably kill myself, too.

And now they can blow up loving planets. Shoulda just stayed home and watched podracing and Droid Football like everyone else after 20 bby. He'd literally be just as impotent without the lung, body, and sanity issues.

Whoops.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Mooey Cow posted:

Sounds kinda like the Saudi Arabian city Jeddah to me :thunk:

The empire's there mining kyber crystals from the ancient center of the planet's main city which Chirrut and Baze are sworn to defend. Kyber, like Kabba or Ka'bah, the literal names of the rock itself and the shrine around it in Mecca.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
"Scarif" was easier to come up with.

Gareth Edwards ordered a coffee at Starbucks.

I wish I was lying

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

and yet scarif sounds more like a Star Wars name than hosnian or canto bight

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Everyone who complains about Jyn's turn from cynic to rebel die-hard forgets the part where it happens right when she gets a letter from her freshly cadavered dad. Which reveals that instead of being a Imperial stooge like she thought, he was working for the good guys all along. It's exactly the sort of thing that would reignite her passion.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
It seemed really weird to me that a planet would be called "bight," even if its only notable feature was a spaceport (so there'd be some logic in that a bight is almost synonymous with a safe harbor). Luckily Wookiepedia clears this up in the very first line of its article:

quote:

Canto Bight was a coastal city on the desert planet Cantonica.

Cantonica! Home of the long-vanished civilization of the Narcoleps!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I figured straight away that canto bite was a particular place rather than like a planet as its like monte carlo or las vegas or whatever. Also wtf use is yeah the guy you're looking for is on 'earth'. Oh right like a whole planet, looking for a guy with a flower? cheers for that.