Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Back to the gym tomorrow! FINALLY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
https://www.strava.com/activities/1793727872

Whats this odd feeling in the legs...? Is it the vague return of cycling fitness?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

bolind posted:

Goal for tomorrow: eat a healthy breakfast; don't touch the croissants and danishes and poo poo at the office. They're not even that good, but, yaknow, when they're there...

Goal achieved, and this Friday, so far, haven't touched that stuff either. That's the only good thing to report from the previous week though... :suicide:

Does anyone have a good exercise regimen for improving posture? Being a desk jockey and having a wife a foot+ shorter than myself lead to job offers as a bell ringer for a leading Parisian cathedral...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Caffeine alternatives to perk myself up at work?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
High count BPM EDM if you're able to listen to music at work?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Dunno, I don't drink any caffeine and still wake up at 5:30AM. :shrug:

Don't you work 2nd or 3rd shift though or something? In that case, good luck. I know my circadian rhythm would just say "nah gently caress that."

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Rhyno posted:

Drink so much water you always have to go.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Rhyno posted:

Get some speed, m8.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

3 more miles down.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Rhyno posted:

Yohimbine

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Short bike ride. Hills make me want to die, but that's why I need to exercise.

Going hiking later.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Rode a bike today, put in some work, pretty happy with how it went

https://www.strava.com/activities/1797298281

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Shoulder day!

... I still haven't found a way to make shoulder days feel worthwhile. Military presses up to 135 x 6/5/4, dumbbell shoulder presses, and a poo poo-ton of shoulder fly variants focusing on a good contraction, and I still end up feeling like I didn't do anything. Triceps, on the other hand, are four exercises and I end up feeling like I got something out of it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

jamal posted:

Rode a bike today, put in some work, pretty happy with how it went

https://www.strava.com/activities/1797298281

If you see a name you don't recognize following you, it may be me. :ninja:

Also holy poo poo that is some ride. I'll do my "long" ride tomorrow that's like 15ish miles and mostly flat. I think you will surpass my weeks riding total in one day.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Larrymer posted:

If you see a name you don't recognize following you, it may be me. :ninja:

Also holy poo poo that is some ride. I'll do my "long" ride tomorrow that's like 15ish miles and mostly flat. I think you will surpass my weeks riding total in one day.

That one was pretty easy to figure out. I follow a bunch of goons and don't remember a lot of other screennames though.

And yeah, it kind of escalated because it was a nice day and the legs were feeling good. Main goal was to try to set a pr up that bigger hill, felt good enough at the top to do it again, then decided to get in a few more miles after a snack. And then I like to shoot for even numbers as far as distance, elevation, and time go and wound up staying out a little longer to do that.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

jamal posted:

That one was pretty easy to figure out. I follow a bunch of goons and don't remember a lot of other screennames though.

I am not a clever man.

Broke my clavicle. Only fitness I'll be doing is fitness pizza in my mouth.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Well, in addition to managing to stick to my calorie intake goals, ended up walking some ungodly amount of miles at the Trans Am / NASCAR race at Elkhart Lake yesterday. So that's not a bad thing.

Starting stationary biking next week too since so far so good.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Shoulder day!

... I still haven't found a way to make shoulder days feel worthwhile. Military presses up to 135 x 6/5/4, dumbbell shoulder presses, and a poo poo-ton of shoulder fly variants focusing on a good contraction, and I still end up feeling like I didn't do anything. Triceps, on the other hand, are four exercises and I end up feeling like I got something out of it.

Don't worry about it. It's extremely difficult to achieve DOMS in your shoulders. Even bodybuilders have a hard time getting shoulder DOMS after grueling workouts. It's just not a muscle group that displays well in pain gains.
Your shoulders are growing as long as you're putting the work in and eating correctly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Larrymer posted:

I am not a clever man.

Broke my clavicle. Only fitness I'll be doing is fitness pizza in my mouth.

How'd you manage that?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Being lovely at riding mountain bikes.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Larrymer posted:

Being lovely at riding mountain bikes.

It's usually either that or hockey that causes broken collarbones. Or horse riding. Rest up, you can still do leg exercises.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Hit 5 of my 6 weight lifting workouts for the past week, had to skip a leg day on Friday due to a late beer tasting party with a friend on Thursday night. I can pull off an arm day after a night of too much beer, but it'll just make me want to puke the entire workout if I'm doing legs. Unfortunately next week I have to fly to New York on Wednesday and back to LA on Thursday, so I'll miss both those workouts.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Well, I bought 3 2x8x16s to make caber to throw around to practice for the Highland Games.

They're only two weeks away, sooo I'm boned for practice.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Dennis McClaren posted:

Don't worry about it. It's extremely difficult to achieve DOMS in your shoulders. Even bodybuilders have a hard time getting shoulder DOMS after grueling workouts. It's just not a muscle group that displays well in pain gains.
Whew.

Dennis McClaren posted:

Your shoulders are growing as long as you're putting the work in and eating correctly.
oh goddamnit

Three weeks off from work ends tomorrow at 10p, so I'll be back to eating badly, sleeping badly, and exercising ... well, not badly, but much less frequently than I have been the last few weeks. I could be okay if I stick to the plan I outlined earlier in this thread, but man, is "get better sleep" a difficult goal!

Back day today. Weighted pullups (BW x 10, 25 x 8, 45 x 6/5+1/4+1+1, 25 x 6, 15 x 6, 10 x 7, 5 x 8, BW x 8), then pronated pull-downs, supinated pull downs, machine rows, shrugs. Finished with biceps. Tomorrow should be a chest day, but I have the kid in the morning and I have to nap mid-day to survive my first night back, so we'll see.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Good rest day today, my bad ankle was starting to click annoyingly when hiking Saturday.

Back on the grind today, ~3mi for this morning assuming it's not pissing down rain.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Biked 9km yesterday along nice forest and beach roads to walk along the beach and eat burgers (and ice cream :ssh:), and then back again.

Probably a calorie surplus, but certainly also a quality of life surplus. I feel ashamed for not using my old bike more, while I still had it.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Been feeling a bit like poo poo for a couple of days but still managed to lift a little bit yesterday. Felt OK.

Also, keeping myself out of the office pastries but, regrettably, not out of the box of filled chocolates that we found in the pantry...

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

sharkytm posted:

Rest up, you can still do leg exercises.

I tried to think of things I don't need balance for (not worth risk of falling) like machines and what not. Then, things I could easily get into and out of (:lol: leg press) with one good arm. About all I could figure was leg extensions, not worth it. Still in a good bit of pain so maybe more doors will open soon but prolly not worth the risk. Biking was my "leg day" anyway.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Well, that sucks, sorry man. Stationary bike would probably be ok, but personally I hate sitting on the trainer. Suppose if I broke a collar bone I'd have to though.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

jamal posted:

Well, that sucks, sorry man. Stationary bike would probably be ok, but personally I hate sitting on the trainer. Suppose if I broke a collar bone I'd have to though.

poo poo happens. I'll resume if/when it feels better.

Carry on without me goons.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Really starting to see some improvements with this diet and the normal gym routine.

This pic was yesterday afternoon... I was able to hit 185×5×3 on bench and 110×5×3 on incline press!

Just woke up to hit the gym hard since I have a crazy day today and no time to go otherwise. GET SOME!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Going for another 3.1 miles this morning. A friend who's in a lot better shape might be coming along, so this may be much faster.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Deadlifted 330lb for 8 reps with nothing but chalk today. That was pretty cool.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Nice!

3 down yesterday, going to go do 3 more right now. It's actually chilly this morning.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

QuarkMartial posted:

That's the best feeling. I miss deadlifts so much.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

QuarkMartial posted:

Hell yes

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Deadlifts are my favorite exercise.

Least favorite? Overhead press because it's a bitch that refuses to increase.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

QuarkMartial posted:

Deadlifts are my favorite exercise.

Least favorite? Overhead press because it's a bitch that refuses to increase.

Maybe you need some Coca-Cola and Folgers. Mix about 4 heapin scoops together and get that Hyphy Mud going. If you're a beast, you'll sip it during your workout and never crash.

Here's a tutorial for you on how to increase your OHP and start living that mud life : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUzaw5_O9vY

Deadlifts are pretty exciting. I started doing them off the power rack at around knee height. I'm more interested in back development than I am working the whole posterior chain. The motion always feels good though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Trip report: So far so good on actually logging food, as well as actually not eating all the food when doing so.

Two weeks straight and it's vaguely easier to ignore my habit of the see-food diet. Still need to find the loving scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

You'll never stand up straighter than after a deadlift session.